49ers-leading-the-league-in-achilles-tears

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-leading-the-league-in-achilles-tears.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... tears.html</a>

49ers' three Achilles' tears far above league average

Read more here: <a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-leading-the-league-in-achilles-tears.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... rylink=cpy</a>

For the blog-only readers, here's a story that ran in today's Bee about the recent innovations regarding Achilles' heel injuries that are allowing elite athletes like Michael Crabtree and Kobe Bryant to come back sooner and stronger than they would have several years ago. The injury seems to be following in the path of ACL tears, which used to be career-enders but which now can be overcome.

One of the doctors I interviewed was Robert Anderson, who is one of the Carolina Panthers team physicians and the NFL's expert on foot and ankle injuries. Anderson operated on Crabtree's broken left foot prior to the 2009 draft. Some of the things Anderson said that didn't make it into the story:

* The NFL has been averaging between six and eight Achilles' tears a year. The 49ers have had three in the last seven months -- Kendall Hunter, Crabtree and rookie fullback Alex Debniak, who tore his Achilles' this month.

* Most Achilles' injuries occur before the regular season begins, as was the case with Crabtree (May) and Debniak (June). There was a rash of Achilles' tears in 2011. Anderson suspects it was related to the lockout and the fact that a lot of players hadn't been regularly training prior to the start of training camp that year.

* I asked Anderson about Crabtree, who has suffered a broken foot in both 2009 and 2011 (both injuries were to the left foot) and now the right Achilles' tear. He chalked it up to bad luck. However, he noted that a player who does a lot of decelerating -- like a wide receiver -- will put more stress on the Achilles' than another player. He also said receivers and other skill positions might take longer to return to form than linemen. And he said that one of the reasons why Achilles' tendons tear in the first place is a genetic weakness. So someone who tears the tendon one time has a higher risk of another tear.

Finally, Achilles' injuries are most common among people like, well, like you -- men who are between the age of 35 and 50. The tendon starts deteriorating after age 25, and men who try to maintain an active lifestyle -- running, playing basketball, jumping rope with your nieces -- often suffer the consequences. Stretching, exercising regularly, warming up and cooling down properly and drinking plenty of water will help.

The bad news is that you probably won't get the same degree of care -- condensed platelets, low-gravity treadmills, daily pool sessions with a trainer -- Crabtree and Kobe Bryant will get. The good news is that many Achilles' tears can heal without surgery. You'll be back clanking three-pointers off the front of the rim in no time.

I posted this because it has a lot of good layman's info on the subject. The stuff in blue was especially interesting to me. Looks like it's buyer beware when signing a player who has already had one.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JTJZ3fl.jpg

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X pointing out my genetic deficiencies:
JTJZ3fl.jpg

I've always wanted to have huge ginormous sweat glands like everyone else. :balling:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
I've always wanted to have huge ginormous sweat glands like everyone else. :balling:
Maybe if you eat your vegetables and take your vitamins ...... some day you will.
Or ... you could get sprayed in the face with a water bottle like all the other Hollywood actors.

Back to the article though. I thought this was interesting.

The tendon starts deteriorating after age 25, and men who try to maintain an active lifestyle --
running, playing basketball, jumping rope with your nieces -- often suffer the consequences.

This is the benefit of leading a sedentary life. :lol:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X throwing me a bone:

Back to the article though. I thought this was interesting.

The tendon starts deteriorating after age 25, and men who try to maintain an active lifestyle --
running, playing basketball, jumping rope with your nieces -- often suffer the consequences.

This is the benefit of leading a sedentary life. :lol:

:zomg1: I'm finally on the leading edge of something! :zomg: :ja: :bangin:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Al's article pointed out

Finally, Achilles' injuries are most common among people like, well, like you -- men who are between the age of 35 and 50. The tendon starts deteriorating after age 25, and men who try to maintain an active lifestyle -- running, playing basketball, jumping rope with your nieces -- often suffer the consequences. Stretching, exercising regularly, warming up and cooling down properly and drinking plenty of water will help.

I heard a pretty cool an neck dolt bout that water thing.
Take a steak and a piece of jerky and try to tear them ,the jerky (dried muscle tears more easily).

I felt compelled to add that .

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
Al's article pointed out

Take a steak and a piece of jerky and try to tear them ,the jerky (dried muscle tears more easily).

Or, take a hard boiled egg and a regular egg. Drop them on the floor. Both break but one makes a bigger mess.

I felt compelled to add that.

:lmao:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
Al's article pointed out

Or, take a hard boiled egg and a regular egg. Drop them on the floor. Both break but one makes a bigger mess.

Can we form a support group for these .....compulsions of ours?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
Al's article pointed out

Can we form a support group for these .....compulsions of ours?

:boing: