49’ers at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Game Day Thread

The GDT is a live thread tradition here at ROD.

While we all get fired up watching the game, please remember our core principles; we always show respect for our team and each other.

Despite the emotional highs and lows watching a game, we will moderate this thread with that in mind, however please refrain from name calling. This applies to players, the Rams organization, and others.

This is the core rule of the GDT. Moderators are tasked to issue thread bans, at a minimum, to maintain this standard.

This is our team. Win or lose. Good days and bad.

Go Rams!

Please be advised moderators may issue “caution” post ratings to keep this thread on track. If you see this, don’t freak out; these are not warnings but meant to steer conversation away from warnings.

Our goal... watching a game is fun. So, let’s have fun in here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/game-preview-rams-look-to-clinch-bye-sweep-nfc-west-against-the-49ers

Game Preview: Rams Look to Clinch Bye, Sweep NFC West Against the 49ers

The Rams (12-3) will wrap up the regular season against the 49ers (4-11) on Sunday afternoon in the L.A. Coliseum.

Los Angeles posted its second-highest margin of victory of the season against the 49ers in Week 7, beating the upstate rivals 39-10 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. Los Angeles won the game behind 4.0 sacks from defensive tackle Aaron Donald and three touchdowns — two rushing, one receiving — from running back Todd Gurley.

If the Rams are successful against the Niners in the season finale, L.A. will clinch a first-round playoff bye and sweep the NFC West. Since the NFL’s realignment in 2002, just four teams from the NFC have swept their respective division — three of those teams went on to the Super Bowl.

The Rams have finished 5-1 twice in the division since 2002, but are yet to complete a sweep.

“To be able to accomplish that at home would mean a lot because there's three tough division opponents that we go against twice a year,” head coach Sean McVay said this week. “To be able to do that and then what that also means is being able to secure a first-round bye — that's a big deal.”

Quarterback Jared Goff also spoke about the importance of Sunday’s game — which, for much of the season, was shaping up to be a restful Week 17 similar to last year.

“Obviously, we know we've got more to play for, but we're treating this week like a playoff game, like being in the playoffs for us,” Goff said. “If we win, we get that [No.] 2 seed locked up and do what we have to do."

If the Rams cap their season sweep against the Niners, Los Angeles will be two wins away from Super Bowl 53.

The Rams sacked 49ers quarterback C.J. Beathard seven times in their Week 7 meeting. In one of their stronger defensive performances of the season, Donald and company limited

the 49ers to just 228 yards of total offense and forced four turnovers in the game. But the Rams defense is preparing for a different 49ers signal caller in Week 17 — undrafted rookie quarterback, Nick Mullens.

The Niners’ starter since Week 9, Mullens has thrown 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions, going 3-4 in seven starts.

“He’s savvy,” cornerback Marcus Peters said. “He really ain’t got [anything] to lose and he’s playing like it too. He’s just out there paying good football and doing whatever he can do to make a play.”

Mullens has moved the ball well in 2018 since taking the job from Beathard, who was the next man up when quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo went down in Week 3. The Southern Miss product has thrown for 1,995 yards in seven games and is completing 63 percent of his passes.

On the other end of many of Mullens passes is blossoming star tight end George Kittle. Kittle has been the go-to guy in San Francisco’s injury-ridden offense in 2018. Early this week, the 49ers ruled running back Matt Breida and wide receiver Dante Pettis out for Sunday’s game. As of Thursday, wideout Marquise Goodwin was yet to practice and was deemed questionable early in the week with a calf injury.

The Rams will, however, see Kittle on the Coliseum’s turf, standing in the way of an ideal playoff position and a historic run through the division. McVay suggested early in the week that the tight end is part of what makes the Niners’ offense go.

“[K]ittle's a threat to take it to the house every single time he touches the football — made a lot of explosives and I think it's a credit to both their system, but then also, George's talent and the production, I think they kind of go hand-in-hand," McVay said.

Kittle is No. 2 among all tight ends in both total receiving yards and yards receiving per game (81.9).

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips believes his unit is trending in the right direction ahead of its final test against Mullens and Kittle. The Los Angeles defense, which has now featured cornerback Aqib Talib for four-straight weeks, has held offenses to 312 total yards per game and generated six takeaways since the team’s Week 12 bye.

“Just trusting the process,” Peters said when asked what’s led to an uptick in defensive production. “With just coming in the year, we knew we had a bunch of big-name players who made big plays around this league and we just needed to find a way to make it mesh. It was up and down because it was a new team. I just commend all of the players on the defense, [who] trusted and believed in each other.”

On offense for the Rams, running back Todd Gurley’s status remains day-to-day as gameday approaches. The league’s leader in touchdowns was scratched from last week’s contest following a pregame workout, and Gurley is yet to practice in preparation for Week 17.

“We want to do what's best for Todd most importantly and what's best for Todd is also what's best for our football team,” McVay said early in the week. “We don't want to do anything where we're putting him in harm’s way if we feel like it could be something where we're putting him at risk.”

Gurley, who was equally adamant about listening to his body and staying from harm's way in his Thursday press conference, expressed confidence in his replacement acquired last week, running back C.J. Anderson.

“Knew he was a good runner,” Gurley said four days after Adderson’s 167-yard rushing performance in Arizona. “Just one of those unfortunate situations, got let go and now he's here. He's ballin’ out, he's been doing what he's been doing his whole career."

McVay said he expects Anderson to play a role on his team as it attempts to regain its stride entering the playoffs. Goff joined Anderson in the coming out party in Arizona. The young quarterback entered Week 16 completing just 55.4 percent of his passes since the Week 12 bye, before posting his second-best completion percentage of the season against the Cardinals, hitting on 79 percent of his passes.

The 216-yard, one-touchdown outing in Arizona isn’t quite something to write home about for the former Cal Bear, who is 342 yards from the Rams’ single-season franchise passing record. But the performance was enough to leave Goff with a positive taste in his mouth after weeks of passing woes.

“I felt comfortable, felt good,” Goff said, reflecting on his performance that helped steer the Rams back into the win column. “I thought we protected really well and thought we, obviously, ran the ball well. Guys were open, guys were making plays. I felt accurate. We felt good.”

With QB1 feeling good and an energized defense, McVay has reason to feel positively about his team heading into the season’s final test — as long as there’s attentive preparation throughout the week.

“Everybody doing the little things the right way – all three phases,” McVay said. “If we do that, we know it's going to be a great challenge, but we expect to see our preparation throughout the week show up on Sunday and guys got to be locked in.”

If there’s any member of the Rams who is locked in entering the Coliseum on Sunday, it’s defensive tackle Aaron Donald. Donald enters Week 17 with the chance to put a cherry on top of L.A.’s season by capturing a 17-year-old NFL record.

The defensive tackle needs 3.5 sacks against the Niners to pass former New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan’s single-season NFL record 22.5 sacks. And while 3.5 sacks would be a huge day for any pass-rusher, the league’s leader in sacks has routinely posted multi-sack games in his fifth pro season. In fact, Donald has posted his three highest sack totals against NFC West opponents, and his highest sack total of the season (4.0) against the 49ers.

A repeat performance would launch No. 99 into NFL history.

“You never know what can happen,” Donald said on Thursday — admitting he had to fight back tears following his Week 16 record-breaking performance. “But I’m just going to play the game and when plays present themselves try to take advantage of it and just help my team win.”

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol. I live in the heart of whiner territory and I have to stream this game. Thanks Seahawks. Thanks NFL.

Anyway, GO RAMS!! I hope AD has a record breaking day!! He could use some help from his DL to put pressure on Mullins. It’s time to tune up and turn up the D.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Last game of the regular season. How time flies.
Looking forward to it.
Best of luck to the boys, finish on a high and very special luck to Anderson and Donald.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/27/nfl-rams-49ers-matchups-week-17/

49ers vs. Rams: 5 key matchups to watch
By: Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams aren’t resting starters in Week 17 like they did against the San Francisco 49ers last year, a game in which Sean McVay’s squad was blown out. This time, the Rams are going for the win and trying to lock up a first-round bye in the playoffs.

They’ll either need to beat the 49ers or have the Vikings knock off the Bears, while a tie for either team will get the job done for L.A., too. Here are five key matchups to watch on Sunday at the Coliseum as the Rams and 49ers wrap up their regular-season schedules.

John Johnson vs. George Kittle
There’s no denying who the 49ers’ top offensive playmaker is. Even when Marquise Goodwin is healthy, Kittle sees the largest share of targets on the team. He has 62 more targets, 42 more catches and 761 more yards than any other player on the roster. Kittle is a talented receiving tight end in the mold of Travis Kelce and Rob Gronkowski, making him a mismatch for defensive backs and linebackers.

Johnson has had a tremendous sophomore season and has played like one of the best safeties in the league, but this is a difficult matchup for him. Expect Johnson to be assigned to Kittle for the majority of the game, given Nick Mullens’ reliance on his dynamic tight end.

Rams RBs vs. Fred Warner
The 49ers appear to have found a gem in Warner, who’s been their best linebacker all season. The rookie linebacker has 110 tackles, six passes defensed and a forced fumble, manning the middle of the defense for 15 games. He has great cover skills and is an athletic player for the linebacker position, which makes him someone quarterbacks and running backs always have to be aware of.

Whether it’s Todd Gurley or C.J. Anderson, the Rams’ running backs must force missed tackles and get open in the passing game with Warner in coverage. Anderson proved against the Cardinals that he’s shiftier than people thought, so if he gets the start, that trend will need to continue.

Aaron Donald vs. Laken Tomlinson
There’s more than just a win on the line for Donald this weekend. He’s trying to make history, needing just 3.5 sacks to break Michael Strahan’s single-season record of 22.5. Tomlinson will be the primary opponent trying to stop Donald from getting there. Donald is a difficult matchup for every single lineman he faces, but Tomlinson will have an especially tough time slowing down the reigning Defensive Player of the Year.

Tomlinson is PFF’s 31st-ranked guard in the NFL this season, so this is a golden opportunity for Donald to dominate the 49ers once again. In Week 7 against San Francisco, Donald had a career-high four sacks, six tackles for loss and nine tackles, hitting C.J. Beathard five times. The all-time record is well within reach for Donald.

Josh Reynolds vs. Richard Sherman

The Rams move their receivers all around the offensive formation, but more often than not, it’s Brandin Cooks on the left, Reynolds on the right and Robert Woods in the slot. The 49ers lock their cornerbacks to respective sides, too, with Sherman only playing left cornerback. That’ll put him in coverage against Reynolds.

Sherman is a physical corner who doesn’t match up well with smaller speed receivers, but that’s not what Reynolds is. That makes this a difficult test for the second-year receiver, but one that he needs to show he can pass. Expect Jared Goff to look Cooks’ and Woods’ way plenty on Sunday.

Rodger Saffold vs. DeForest Buckner
What Donald is to the Rams, Buckner is to the 49ers. Obviously, he’s not on the same level as Donald, but Buckner is a force on the interior. He has 12 sacks, 63 tackles (17 for loss) and 20 quarterback hits, proving to be one of the most disruptive players in the NFL.

Saffold has been outstanding in 2018 despite not earning a Pro Bowl bid, holding Buckner in check earlier this season. In Week 7 against the Rams, Buckner only had three tackles and no sacks – one of six games in which he was shut out in the sack column.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The bye week is crucial! A rested OL and Gurley will pancake any team in our way to the SB.

The whiners don’t have a prayer today. 34-13 Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
im-bringing-pain.jpg

jap

Legend
In some respects, I am glad this final win has become a necessity. Last year after the regular season bye, the Horns destroyed the G-men. However, subsequent games after byes have produced lackluster results from the LA offense in general and Jared in particular. Goff needs to ramp his focusing intensity up to post-season levels. He has it in him to be a game changing QB, but he needs to convert those big game opportunities on a more consistent basis to become a champion first, then a perennial champ afterward.

Time to fully unleash The Kraken! The SonOfBum may need to shuffle AD everywhere to prevent the '9ers from keying on him effectively. With two weeks to rest up there is no need to hold back anything now. Let's trash that 'Frisco backfield continuously!!!

With the real TG30 off the field, our young Gurley Man clone, Gerald Everett. needs to step up and officially introduce the '9ers' D to his burgeoning gifts as a pass catching vacuum and as a slow motion TG30 impersonator after the catch. Let the NFL witness the evolution of our young TE duo and their improving tendency to make impact plays on critical downs and in the red zone.

It feels real, real good to be going into the post season with a healthy Greg the Leg. It is extra frosting to have Aqib back to QB our secondary. The destruction of the '9ers is now at hand!!!

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Over the course of this rivalry and especially during the horrific 17 straight loss streak in the 90s, I have punched my fair share of babies, but, then again, who hasn't, right? I mean that's why it's called fair share.

And granted, there's been alot of "honest" mistakes over the years like the first time I layed into a niner fan baby after putting up with his smack talk for 3 quarters.

Naturally the parents disputed my charge, claiming that it could barely say da-da but I would later rest my court case on the fact that wouldn't it be just like a niner baby to be so duplicitous as to act like it couldn't talk at home so it could get away with talking shit at the stadium.

Looking back at it I probably did those people a favor because I bet that baby was very talkative the next day--Mom I need more ibuprofin. Dad how was their 3rd down conversion percentage so high.

Anyway, my point is I'm really excited to see what Donald and Anderson do today

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Let’s just put on a show and END this!

I’d love to see Kittle go brittle.
Sherman get burned, man.
Mullen’s become sullen.
And In Shanahan vs. McVay? Kyle lose by a mile.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I sure would be nice to see if our other random DL'ers & Edge Rushers can make a few plays when Aaron Donald is being tripled on each & every play. I wonder what those other random Ram defensive players do when they have no offensive players lining up against them or paying any attention to them? :confused:

I have been highly disappointed thus far from our edge rushers Fowler/Ebukam. I think both will need to be replaced as starters in 2019. Meaning edge rusher Dante Fowler Jr. does not begin to turn up the heat in his passing game by seasons end (he only has 4 sacks & 7 QB hits) then I am all end to let him go into UFA'cy in March & then let Snead collect the 4th rd. awarded comprehensive draft selection in 2020.

Same goes for Suh ($14 mil) & Brockers ($11 mil) both are being paid rather well to assist Donald ($8.9 mil) in terrorizing QB's & RB's this season. I am under the impression that the Rams Org is not getting their $$$ worth from either of them.

I hoping I will see our rookie OL'ers Noteboom, Allen & even Demby playing in the 4th quarter along with QB Sean Mannion. Noteboom & Allen need some regular season action in this game badly before the playoffs. On the other side of the ball, I would like to see Micah Kiser some @ MLB'er & ER Og Okoronkwo make his season debut. :bueller:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Just went to Wal Mart to pick up some snacks for the game and a guy says, "Nice shirt'! ( My sister got me a Rams T for Christmas) I look over and there's this dude and his son decked out in Rams gear!!!! I found another Rams fan here in South Georgia!!!! Told him about ROD and he'll come visiting today I would bet. Good omen boys, good omen!!!!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
I sure would be nice to see if our other random DL'ers & Edge Rushers can make a few plays when Aaron Donald is being tripled on each & every play. I wonder what those other random Ram defensive players do when they have no offensive players lining up against them or paying any attention to them? :confused:

I have been highly disappointed thus far from our edge rushers Fowler/Ebukam. I think both will need to be replaced as starters in 2019. Meaning edge rusher Dante Fowler Jr. does not begin to turn up the heat in his passing game by seasons end (he only has 4 sacks & 7 QB hits) then I am all end to let him go into UFA'cy in March & then let Snead collect the 4th rd. awarded comprehensive draft selection in 2020.

Same goes for Suh ($14 mil) & Brockers ($11 mil) both are being paid rather well to assist Donald ($8.9 mil) in terrorizing QB's & RB's this season. I am under the impression that the Rams Org is not getting their $$$ worth from either of them.

I hoping I will see our rookie OL'ers Noteboom, Allen & even Demby playing in the 4th quarter along with QB Sean Mannion. Noteboom & Allen need some regular season action in this game badly before the playoffs. On the other side of the ball, I would like to see Micah Kiser some @ MLB'er & ER Og Okoronkwo make his season debut. :bueller:
Fowler comes down to cost to me.
The Rams have nothing behind him. He has at least show the ability to show up and make some plays. The odds of landing a FA OLB pass rusher on the cheap in FA are slim and none. The odds of landing an immediate impact guy in the mid rounds isn't much better.
If the Rams can resign Fowler at a fair price I would expect Fowler, Samson, Littleton, Oko and all the other young backups to be back.
Trying to find a starting level ILB in FA needs to be a priority this year. The cost of ILB vs a pass rushing OLB should make this more doable....if there is anyone out there.
Is Saffold coming back on a friendly deal?
Blythe?
The D backfield?
Brockers?
This off season has ice cream headache written all over it.