49ers agree to new six-year contract with Kyle Shanahan to keep him through 2025

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
49ers agree to new six-year contract with Kyle Shanahan to keep him through 2025

The San Francisco 49ers have rewarded head coach Kyle Shanahan with a brand new six-year contract that will keep him tied to the organization through the 2025 season, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. This new deal replaces the three years that were remaining on Shanahan's previous contract with the Niners. He is now among the five highest-paid head coaches in the NFL. This new contract is rather unique as Schefter reports that it was constructed simply between owner Jed York and Shanahan. The two reportedly sat down and quickly came to an agreement on the second six-year contract of his tenure.

Shanahan, 40, originally signed a six-year deal to become the head coach of the 49ers back in 2017. Prior to landing in the Bay Area, he rose through the coaching ranks as the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans (2008-2009), Washington Redskins (2010-2013), Cleveland Browns (2014) and Atlanta Falcons (2015-2016).

Shanahan is considered to be one of the craftiest play-callers in the entire league and has helped lead the way in San Francisco's resurgence. After going 10-22 over his first two seasons as head coach, Shanahan and the 49ers were able to take the leap in 2019, enjoying a 13-3 regular season campaign and an NFC Championship. Offensively, San Francisco averaged 29.9 points a game under Shanahan in 2019, which ranked second in the NFL. On the defensive side of the ball, they were second in the league in points allowed at just 19.4 points per game.

San Francisco was also on the brink of winning Super Bowl LIV before Kansas City's comeback and is considered to be one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl next season. According to William Hill Sports Book, the 49ers are the favorites to come out of the NFC and own the third-best odds (+700) to win Super Bowl LV.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

wouldn't it be great if they crashed and burned this season and they're stuck with his mega contract for another five years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

wouldn't it be great if they crashed and burned this season and they're stuck with his mega contract for another five years.

Yeah, no kidding.

McVay and Shanahan going head to head is going to be fun to watch play out.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Very Happy with McVay! Personally, I wouldn’t want anyone else as the Rams Head Coach!!!

dang

Legend

outside of any key injuries I expect the 49ers to be very formidable for the foreseeable.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Me too, but if it was somebody else, it would be Kyle Shanahan....Just posting.
Shanahan and McVay were assistants in Washington at the same time. Circumstances vary and change but neither became the Redskins’ HC.

At one time, the Giants had two assistants named Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi. The Giants also went in another direction.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Me too, but if it was somebody else, it would be Kyle Shanahan....Just posting.

i think he owns Mcvay in one sense. The Rams need to beatNiners at least once in 2020.

Did Sean Mcvay get an extension?? He said he owed a Todd Gurley a lot because of it on an interview?? Don’t recall seeing any details.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i think he owns Mcvay in one sense. The Rams need to beatNiners at least once in 2020.

Did Sean Mcvay get an extension?? He said he owed a Todd Gurley a lot because of it on an interview?? Don’t recall seeing any details.
Yes he was given an extension this time last year. Shanny owns nothing btw.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At one time, the Giants had two assistants named Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi. The Giants also went in another direction.

Very True the New York Giants were coached by Jim Lee Howell and Lombardi was his OC & Landry his DC, Howell didn't retire until after the 1960 season and Lombardi was in Green Bay & Landry in Dallas so the Giants went with another assistant in Allie Sherman in 1961.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think McVay was extended at $2M per year which IMO is a bit underpaid for what he brings IF true.

According to the same site Shanny was signed to a $3M+ contract in 2017. So I would guess he is bringing in more now.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
His "genius" football mind can easily be debated. LOL

But nobody can ever deny that he is clearly the Ears of the whiner franchise.

20100816__broncos_questionp1.jpg

EOB67S4ZDZD6HDSJHPNXNBZHUQ.jpg

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Landry in Dallas so the Giants went with another assistant in Allie Sherman in 1961.

When I was young, I would watch Giants’ games with my father who was a life long fan. That was the ‘70s.

Sometimes when they were playing Landry’s Cowboys (and losing), my dad would mumble ‘fucking Allie Sherman’.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The choke artist is a good coach, but he seems to like throwing away the big game when he gets there. He is 0-2 so far.

Ram65

Legend
I didn't think Shanahan was that good of a coach. So far he seems to be doing good which is unfortunate for the Rams. McVay and Shanahan will be tied together for a long time. I like that the Rams went and spent free agent and draft capital on the defense this off season. While both the Rams and Whiners score a lot of points the Rams need the defense to step up.