49'ers add Mangini "to find holes in opposing defenses"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9332085/eric-mangini-join-san-francisco-49ers-senior-offensive-consultant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93320 ... consultant</a>

ESPN NFL analyst Eric Mangini is joining the San Francisco 49ers as an offensive consultant.

In his role with the defending NFC champions, Mangini will work to find weaknesses in opposing defenses.

The role is a bit of a shift for Mangini, who always has been known as a defensive coach from his time working under Bill Belichick in New England. He also has experience on the offensive side of the ball in his coaching career.

Mangini has ties to 49ers general manager Trent Baalke, who was a personnel scout for the New York Jets in 1998-99 while Mangini was a defensive assistant. Mangini also has previously worked with current 49ers special teams coach Brad Seely.

Mangini, who started his work for ESPN as a guest analyst during the 2010 playoffs, previously has served as a head coach with the Jets and Cleveland Browns.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is good ole boys hire if I have ever seen one lol.

Mangini hired for his offensive knowledge.........huh?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
A little disagreement with Sando here, and I like Sando.

Mangini is a D coach and as a D coach he can look at another D and find weakness. So in an indirect way he's acting as a "O" coach to help his "O" attack a "D".

But really is doing it as a D coach. Confusing huh? :lol:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've come away very impressed with Eric Mangini from a schematic stanpoint. IMO Mangini is an X's & O's type of guy. This a good move by the 49ers, but with the exception of signing Craig Dahl, it's hard to find something this organization has not done right since the hiring of Jim Harbaugh.

Although if Dahl can share some insight on what the Rams are doing than the signing makes some sense, however, IMO even if Dahl knows what coming, he's still a tad slow to react.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
They should probably have him "draw cards".

I've heard that other teams are hiring experienced coaches for this critical assignment around the league.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Selassie I said:

I've heard that other teams are hiring experienced coaches for this critical assignment around the league.

:plzstop:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Selassie I said:

Baltimore was ahead of the curve I guess. I wonder if Fisher and Snead even bothered to reach out to him for their card drawing needs.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
LesBaker said:
Selassie I said:

Baltimore was ahead of the curve I guess. I wonder if Fisher and Snead even bothered to reach out to him for their card drawing needs.

No way Bro.

Absolutely no reason to wonder.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Selassie I said:
LesBaker said:
Selassie I said:

No way Bro.

Absolutely no reason to wonder.

Then who is drawing the fucking cards? Do we even HAVE a card drawing guy? How the hell did Demoff, Fisher and Snead not get a card guy. No card guy means 3-13 here we come, this is BS.

I wanna card guy.

:rofl: