42 to 18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This was a close game.

That's a foolish pass to run ratio unless you are down by 2-3 scores in the second half.

More "standard" football usually helps a defense that is playing lights out and shutting down the opponent. The D was stellar

Passing like this was reckless. Especially when the pressure was nonstop, or the Patriots were in nickel and dime with the middle of the field unprotected many times.

McVay called a vanity game.

Wrong platform to do that.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
The pass to run ratio is only acceptable if Gurley is seriously injured.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
This was a close game.

That's a foolish pass to run ratio unless you are down by 2-3 scores in the second half.

More "standard" football usually helps a defense that is playing lights out and shutting down the opponent. The D was stellar

Passing like this was reckless. Especially when the pressure was nonstop, or the Patriots were in nickel and dime with the middle of the field unprotected many times.

I agree. Reminds me of Martz not going to Faulk in XXXVI. Patriots lost 5 times this season. Apparently nothing was learned by the Rams from those losses.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Don't know about a vanity game. McVay usually tries to take what the defense is giving him. Pats had a great defensive game plan as they usually do in the postseason. Today they weren't giving much.
That is a ridiculously lopsided ratio, but, the run game was only working sporadically. I would have tried to keep the offense more balanced anyway. Putting everything on Goff's shoulders is asking too much this early in his career.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one big mistake I felt we made was not running the ball out of the shotgun. The Patriots kept clearing the middle of the field when we into shotgun. And with their aggressiveness upfront, I think we could have burned them a few times. But the running game wasn't working for most of the night. And when it did get some momentum, we made some stupid mistake or got an unlucky call that put us in a situation where we had to pass.

Ellard80

Legend
Misleading... because after we were down 7 with 5 min left... than 10 with 1:15 left.. I bet about 12 pass attempts or so in those two drives.

It's not like our running game was gashing them... like 3.4 yards per carry and a lot of those yards came from two runs.

McVay might have had a bad game plan.. but it didn't have to do with the run/pass ratio.

Ellard80

Legend
The one big mistake I felt we made was not running the ball out of the shotgun. The Patriots kept clearing the middle of the field when we into shotgun. And with their aggressiveness upfront, I think we could have burned them a few times. But the running game wasn't working for most of the night. And when it did get some momentum, we made some stupid mistake or got an unlucky call that put us in a situation where we had to pass.

Do we ever run out of shotgun? If we do not very much.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
This was a close game.

I wan't to be with you on this Les, but I'm emotionally spent. Can't even be angry about it. Maybe tomorrow...

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
This was a close game.

Maybe he didn't want to tips his hand for next season :hiding:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sorry..but this is vent thread material.
Even though I somewhat agree.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, if you go back and *really* watch the game, you'll see a metric shit-ton of opportunities in the passing game that didn't materialize. Be it because of pressure, forcing throws, or not seeing what was out there, I just don't think it's fair to say that McVay was only feeding his ego. He knew what was available, and he drew up some good plays, but they didn't get executed.

Yes, it would have been nice to get Gurley going, but he and Anderson were only averaging 3.4 YPC against a mostly stacked front. Belichick wanted to give away the passing game and force a very inexperienced and young QB to beat him. And by rushing the passer while playing the run, they were able to bottle up the middle and get pressure inside. If anything, IMO, it would have been better for McVay to go 5-wide and get people off the line. But, what do I know? About as much as anyone else questioning what he saw on the field.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Don't know about a vanity game. McVay usually tries to take what the defense is giving him. Pats had a great defensive game plan as they usually do in the postseason. Today they weren't giving much.
That is a ridiculously lopsided ratio, but, the run game was only working sporadically. I would have tried to keep the offense more balanced anyway. Putting everything on Goff's shoulders is asking too much this early in his career.
We ran it only 18 times. In a game that was tied going into 4th quarter. That is a classical example of not establishing the run.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Almost never. But we did against Dallas and burned them because they didn't expect it. I expected McVay to come out and do it because it went against his tendencies, but he didn't. I was pretty pissed about that. There were a number of defensive looks that offered us a nice gain on the ground.

Ellard80

Legend
Yeah, if you go back and *really* watch the game, you'll see a metric crap-ton of opportunities in the passing game that didn't materialize. Be it because of pressure, forcing throws, or not seeing what was out there, I just don't think it's fair to say that McVay was only feeding his ego. He knew what was available, and he drew up some good plays, but they didn't get executed.

Yes, it would have been nice to get Gurley going, but he and Anderson were only averaging 3.4 YPC against a mostly stacked front. Belichick wanted to give away the passing game and force a very inexperienced and young QB to beat him. And by rushing the passer while playing the run, they were able to bottle up the middle and get pressure inside. If anything, IMO, it would have been better for McVay to go 5-wide and get people off the line. But, what do I know? About as much as anyone else questioning what he saw on the field.

Yeah I'm just not a fan of "bad game plan because of X about of runs or pass." I think that's a oversimplification of things.
Sometimes - yes teams need to run or pass more, but just based on play amounts I don't agree with.

For one thing the Rams hardly had the ball, and when you go for 3-13 (think they started 0-8) It's hard to establish much of a running game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah I'm just not a fan of "bad game plan because of X about of runs or pass." I think that's a oversimplification of things.
Sometimes - yes teams need to run or pass more, but just based on play amounts I don't agree with.
Yeah. And even Romo didn't know what to suggest at one point. He was all, "Uh, just do whatever's counterintuitive. Run when you want to pass and pass when you want to run." Pains me to say it, but those fuckers just knew how to upset our rhythm. When McVay is 66 years old (like Bill Bellyfat), we should be about 7-4 in Superbowls, so we have that to look forward to anyway.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, if you go back and *really* watch the game, you'll see a metric crap-ton of opportunities in the passing game that didn't materialize. Be it because of pressure, forcing throws, or not seeing what was out there, I just don't think it's fair to say that McVay was only feeding his ego. He knew what was available, and he drew up some good plays, but they didn't get executed.

Yeah, I noticed that they rushed 5 quite a lot and from different spots, so on a lot of plays, we didn't have the RB available to head out into the flat for a check down.

Even though we got beat pretty handily, a few plays get made and we actually win, which is crazy.

The good news is that our D balled out and this looks like the maturation process for Goff.

If you all remember, Brady's stats in his first SB were crap and if it weren't for the abusing of the "let 'em play" business and our D playing prevent at the end of that game for some inexplicable reason, we win SB 36 even with all those shenanigans. It's safe to say that Belichick is a much better defensive coach than our DC during SB 36.

I'll keep saying it, McVay had no answer for how Belichick attacked the ZBS and in part I think it was either that Gurley didn't have the speed for the edge or McVay just plain forgot about spreading the D. Sometimes you take the 1 yard loss on a run to set up bigger runs out of that same set, something he did all season.

McVay is a young savant who's still learning. Wade had the D pitch a heckuva game as well.

What sucks isn't so much that we lost, but having to listen to Pats and Saints fans shittalk all off-season, but I find it easier to ignore people than ever, so...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I do like Gurley in there with play action & do a little button hook in that space. Didn’t see much off that. Gurley & Goff when on the same page passing is explosive.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just realized that in both Super Bowls, our D only surrendered 13 points to the Patriots and we lost both. Ugh.

I think McVay did pretty good. Goff missed a ton of open WRs when he did have time. Pressure or not, a better performance from Goff wins this game - I'm sure McVay will notice that and not say it to anyone because he's a good leader - the question is what to do about it. Upgrading Sully will be about the only thing we can do on offense.