4 Downs -- NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
NFL Nation: 4 Downs -- NFC West
May, 29, 2014
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com

By almost everyone’s estimation, the rough and rugged NFC West was the best division in the NFL in 2013. It had the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks, two teams in the NFC Championship Game (Seattle and the San Francisco 49ers) and another 10-game winner in the Arizona Cardinals. The St. Louis Rams were 7-9 but likely would have had a winning season in any other division.

And now? Other than adding Godzilla and three superheroes to the four teams, they could not get much better. It looks like the big boys on the NFC block will remain out west.

Most experts believe the Rams had one of the best drafts in the NFL, adding Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson and Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald, giving St. Louis four first-round picks on what is arguably the best defensive line in football.

The 49ers had 12 draft picks, including seven in the first four rounds, and made a trade during the draft for talented Buffalo receiver Stevie Johnson.

The Cardinals signed gigantic left tackle Jared Veldheer and blazing kick returner Ted Ginn in free agency. They also added a vicious hitter, Washington State safety Deone Bucannon, with their first draft pick.

As always happens with Super Bowl champs, the Seahawks lost a few key players to free agency, but they kept the man they really wanted to keep in defensive end Michael Bennettand locked up "Legion of Boom" stars Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman to long-term deals.

Believe it or not, the best division in the NFL just got better.

1stdown_55.png

As usual, the Seahawks drafted some players other teams would have taken later, if at all. Should people question their choices, or have they earned the benefit of the doubt?

Terry Blount: Have we learned nothing from the past? Questioning Seattle's draft strategy, along with undrafted signees, now seems a little foolish. Shall I name a few who stand out that other teams passed up or the experts questioned? Sherman, Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin and Malcolm Smith, for starters. The Seahawks bring in players with specific traits -- unusual athleticism, driving competitiveness and obvious intelligence. Where those players rank on another team's draft board means nothing to them. And at first glance from rookie camp, they found some winners in receivers Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood, along with defensive end Cassius Marsh.

i

Nick Wagoner: At this point, it's hard to argue with the results the Seahawks are getting from the players they draft. It is interesting that it seems like the first-round picks (such as James Carpenter and Bruce Irvin) are the ones who seem to struggle most relative to draft position. But the thing Seattle does so well is find players who fit the confines of who they want to be on both sides of the ball. Then they develop them and have them ready to go. It is why they never seem to miss a beat when injuries hit or a player is suspended. The results speak for themselves.

Josh Weinfuss: A little leeway should be given to the Seahawks because, first, they are the reigning NFL champions, and second, their personnel department has been able to piece together a pretty good roster with players who were not highly rated. With that being said, good will should only go so far. Sometimes a general manager and coach think they have the secret recipe and get cocky about their ability to find talent. When that happens, bad decisions are made. Obviously, the Seahawks have a reputation for picking good players, but they won't be right every time. Every team has an off draft and picks who don't pan out. It is also too early for us to know if some of their "rogue" picks will do anything. Their picks should definitely be questioned until they have a chance to show us their stuff.

Bill Williamson: The glue to the Seahawks is general manager John Schneider. Yes, coach Pete Carroll is a tremendous fit for the franchise and is a big part of the team's success. But Schneider is the architect of this franchise. He built this roster. There is little doubting the way he has drafted. Look at the core of the team -- they were all great value choices by Schneider. The tie goes to Schneider. You can doubt him if you choose, but it would be a lousy idea. Expect these Seattle rookies to develop into players. Schneider always wins.

2nddown_55.png

Do the additions of Johnson and Carlos Hyde give the 49ers the most dangerous offense in the division?

Blount: Both players will help, but the real key for the 49ers is quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Having enough weapons wasn't really the problem. Using them effectively on a consistent basis and cutting down on mistakes is the issue. Kaepernick's extraordinary talent is unquestioned. But can he be the same type of team leader that Wilson is and make the big play in the most difficult moments? He couldn't do it last year in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship Game. If he shows he can do that consistently when the big game is on the line, watch out.

i

Wagoner: Well, the competition for that crown isn't exactly daunting in a division known mostly for grinding it out offensively and dominating defensively. But the 49ers probably do have the most dangerous offense in the division. I don't personally think Johnson or Hyde will be a major difference-maker right away, but they don't have to be. Putting Johnson with a healthy Michael Crabtree at receiver and tight end Vernon Davis should allow Johnson to operate free of the pressure of being a No. 1 wideout. Hyde can learn from Frank Gore before taking over the reins. In terms of top-to-bottom talent across the roster, yes, the 49ers look to have the most dangerous offense in the NFC West.

Weinfuss: It is certainly looking like the 49ers have one of the most dangerous offenses in the division, if not the most dangerous. San Francisco has the right pieces at every position, from quarterback to running back to wide receiver to tight end. But the first question that came to mind when going through San Francisco's offensive depth chart is this: Will one football be enough to go around? This might turn into a case of the 49ers being better on paper than they are on the field, which has happened many times throughout the NFL. The Cardinals bolstered their skill positions during the offseason, giving themselves a lot of talent at wide receiver and tight end to complement two young running backs and a veteran quarterback who finds ways to win. A team can have all the ammunition in the world, but if the coach doesn't know how to use it, it will be stockpiled for naught.

Williamson: I think so. There is nothing missing from this offense. We saw how dynamic it can be when Crabtree returned from a torn Achilles last December. Put Crabtree, the clutch Anquan Boldin and Johnson together and that is a great veteran group of receivers. Someone is always going to be open. Rookie Bruce Ellington was added to give the 49ers the ability to take the top off of defenses, an aspect they didn't possess last season. We didn't even mention Davis at tight end. Really, how is this offense going to be stopped? Kaepernick looked like a completely different quarterback when Crabtree played last season. Kaepernick with all of these weapons? Oh, and we didn't even mention the bread and butter of the 49ers' offense -- the running game. Hyde, Gore and a healthy Marcus Lattimore? How do you defend this group?

3rddown_55.png

After a narrow miss last season, have the Cardinals made enough of the right moves to get into the playoffs?

Blount: I don't think they needed to make many moves to reach the playoffs. Record-wise, they were a playoff team last season, but a victim of circumstances in the playoff structure. So the real question is can the Cardinals catch Seattle and/or San Francisco? And my answer is yes, especially the 49ers. Quarterback Carson Palmer will be better after having a full season in the Arizona offense. Bruce Arians might be the most underrated coach in the NFL. The team clearly is on the rise, while San Francisco's offseason turmoil could come back to bite it.

i

Wagoner: I like what Arizona did this offseason. The offensive line should be much better with the addition of Veldheer and the return of Jonathan Cooper. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie was a nice pickup, and first-round safety Bucannon should be a good complement to the Honey Badger, Tyrann Mathieu. But it is still going to be difficult for them to make the playoffs. The Seahawks and 49ers remain at the top of the heap, and until we see otherwise, it's hard to see how they fall from that perch unless injuries strike. That would still leave one playoff spot for the Cardinals. Three teams from the same division can make the playoffs, and it just happened last season, but I expect Arizona to take a small step back and just miss the cut again.

Weinfuss: The Cardinals have made enough moves to make the playoffs this season. They missed the postseason a year ago by a game, which might have been different if Arizona had been stocked with a better kick returner, left tackle, second cornerback and safety. The Cards addressed those issues in the offseason, which should make them better in 2014. Adding left tackle Veldheer to anchor the offensive line should ease Arians' concerns about Palmer's blind side. One thing Ginn has shown throughout his career is that he can return kicks with the best. But the biggest difference for the Cards will be their improved secondary. Signing talented veteran Cromartie gives the Cardinals two lockdown cornerbacks (along with Patrick Peterson) and drafting Bucannon gave Arizona an instant upgrade against tight ends and big receivers -- which there are plenty of in NFC West.

Williamson: I really like how well the Cardinals are coached. I think Arians is on to something. His players seem to respond to him. So the program will continue to rise under Arians. Also, I love the defense; it is nasty, aggressive and ball-hawking. Add great defense and a well-respected coaching staff and a team is going to win a lot of games. I think the bottom line with the Cardinals is quarterback play. Palmer had his moments last season, but I'm not a big believer in him. I think he will cost the Cardinals at some point. Maybe this is a playoff team, but I think the Cardinals are a couple of steps behind the Seahawks and the 49ers. The deficit starts at quarterback.

4thdown_55.png

The Rams decided not to draft help at wide receiver and waited until the sixth round to add a young quarterback. Will their offense score enough to make up ground in the NFC West?

Blount: Sure, it would have helped to add a top receiver, but is there a bigger unknown in the entire division than Sam Bradford? What the Rams, and everyone else, have to find out is whether Bradford is an elite quarterback. Frankly, I have my doubts, but he did play well last season before his injury. Bradford's situation is much different than that of Kaepernick, who is as gifted a player physically as you will ever see. In Bradford's case, it's hard to know how good he really is or can be, because he hasn't had top talent around him. And it doesn't help that he has to play six games against three of the of the best defenses in the NFL. It's time for Bradford to step up, no matter whom he is throwing the ball to each week.

i

Wagoner: The Rams are clearly hoping they will be able to win games in classic heavyweight slugfests by playing good defense and running the ball. The Rams did put up points against playoff teams like New Orleans and Indianapolis without Bradford, and most of the same cast of characters returns this season. The question is if they can score enough to overcome teams following a similar blueprint within the division? Adding Robinson and running back Tre Mason and having a full season of Rodger Saffold at guard should certainly help the run game.

But until one or more of the young receivers proves himself and Bradford can consistently take advantage of play-action opportunities down the field, I don't see the offense being able to do enough to win games without the help of a special-teams or defensive score from week to week. The Rams should be better against division foes than they were a year ago and might be able to push Arizona, but it still seems unlikely it will be enough to overtake Seattle or San Francisco.

Weinfuss: The depth of the NFC West makes this the toughest question of the four. The Rams' additions weren't significant improvements to their offense, but will help. Bradford will come back with a vengeance and try to light up the scoreboard. He will have a talented group of receivers, but can they score enough to close the gap from the bottom of the West? Not sure that can happen.

Rookie Robinson will take his lumps and bruises and might not come into his own until the second half of the season, so the Rams have to be hoping it's not too late by then. Points will be at a premium in the West, especially considering how good the three other defenses are, so the Rams will have to be even better than expected to make up ground, and I'm not sure they are ready for that just yet.

Williamson: Points scored? Who needs points with that defense. Man, the Rams' defense is getting silly good. Adding Donald to that defensive front should have been banned. It's simply unfair. The Rams are not going to allow many points this season. So the offense won't have to be overly dynamic. With that said, I am not a big Bradford fan. I don't think he is the answer. Until the Rams upgrade at quarterback, I don't think they will reach their full potential or be able to hang in the division race. But they will dangerous every week because of the defense.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I can't wait see all of these "experts" back peddling when Sam finally gets to play behind an NFL quality OL this year.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I can't wait see all of these "experts" back peddling when Sam finally gets to play behind an NFL quality OL this year.

Pretty much what I was thinking. All are really low on Bradford and the offense. They have a right to be, to an extent, but I think we'll see the Offense surprise a lot of people (not including myself) this year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Favorite quote: "Points scored? Who needs points with that defense. Man, the Rams' defense is getting silly good. Adding Donald to that defensive front should have been banned. It's simply unfair. The Rams are not going to allow many points this season."

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I'm hoping Barrett Jones muscled up enough to take over center and we pound the rock repeatedly down their throats. Once that's established, Bradford will become the premier play action QB in the league.

I really can't wait for the games to begin! Soooooo tired of the "experts" blather but it's all we got this time of the year.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I'm still a Sam believer, and it irritates me when experts say that he isn't the answer. Some people forget how bad our Oline and WR corps were couple years ago. I mean he's one of the QB's that has been sacked the most in the past 3 years, and majority of it is not his fault. Last year before he got injured he had a good TD to Int ratio, and he was one of the top QB's against the blitz with completion rating. When Bradford was playing last year our running game wasn't even clicking yet as well. Imagine now with Stacey having more experience, and the same with Benny going into this year. Let's not forget the addition of Tre Mason, and that behemoth Robinson. I think the Play action is going to open up a lot of bigger plays for the offense, and Bradford having a career year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams decided not to draft help at wide receiver and waited until the sixth round to add a young quarterback. Will their offense score enough to make up ground in the NFC West?

Blount: Sure, it would have helped to add a top receiver, but is there a bigger unknown in the entire division than Sam Bradford? What the Rams, and everyone else, have to find out is whether Bradford is an elite quarterback. Frankly, I have my doubts, but he did play well last season before his injury. Bradford's situation is much different than that of Kaepernick, who is as gifted a player physically as you will ever see. In Bradford's case, it's hard to know how good he really is or can be, because he hasn't had top talent around him. And it doesn't help that he has to play six games against three of the of the best defenses in the NFL. It's time for Bradford to step up, no matter whom he is throwing the ball to each week.
More misconceptions. Understandably the writer is trying to make a valid point that the division is tough to score against...but Fisher's Rams vs the division with Sam at QB is 5-2-1 if i'm not mistaken.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I predict By the end of week 7,when the Rams are 6-0, " They " Will all be saying "OOPS! didn't see That coming, and it won't be just because of our Defense!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The media are never going to give the Rams an inch until we crack open this division race. If you examine our division now, the Seahawks have gotten weaker with an ugly draft (I don't believe this benefit of the doubt garbage) and losing CB Brandon Browner, DE Red Bryant, DE Chris Clemons, OT Breno Giacomini, S Chris Maragos, DT Clinton McDonald, WR Sidney Rice, WR Golden Taint, and CB Walter Thurmond. We almost beat them at home last year with KC at the wheel so I expect at least one win against these guys.
Then you look at San Fran who had a great draft and have bolstered more support for their offense. Losing S Donte Whitner and CB Carlos Rodgers hurts their secondary quite a bit coupled with the Bowman injury that benches him most likely deep into the season. They did add S Bethea but overall their defense took a hit. These guys had our number last year and they appear to be on an equal track.
Arizona is what brings it all around for us. They did nothing scary in the draft. Our defensive line owns this team and they cannot guard Cook to save their lives. I'm calling this one a double win or a disappointment.

0.500 in the division as I see it, which is actually impressive. All these "experts" don't watch this division with the attention that a lot of us on ROD do. As far as our team, I think we know where we stand but correct me if I'm wrong.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
More misconceptions. Understandably the writer is trying to make a valid point that the division is tough to score against...but Fisher's Rams vs the division with Sam at QB is 5-2-1 if i'm not mistaken.

Granted, it's really 6-2, b/c I consider that 49er tie a win. Rams outplayed them from the get go. If Brandon Gibson doesn't do that stupid as fuck penalty (or the refs more lenient). Sam would have had about 350 yards (instead of the offical 275), 2 TDs, 0 INTs.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm still a Sam believer, and it irritates me when experts say that he isn't the answer. Some people forget how bad our Oline and WR corps were couple years ago. I mean he's one of the QB's that has been sacked the most in the past 3 years, and majority of it is not his fault. Last year before he got injured he had a good TD to Int ratio, and he was one of the top QB's against the blitz with completion rating. When Bradford was playing last year our running game wasn't even clicking yet as well. Imagine now with Stacey having more experience, and the same with Benny going into this year. Let's not forget the addition of Tre Mason, and that behemoth Robinson. I think the Play action is going to open up a lot of bigger plays for the offense, and Bradford having a career year.
Ya kinda wonder if these people know he's 5-2-1 against that division under Fisher.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The media are never going to give the Rams an inch until we crack open this division race. If you examine our division now, the Seahawks have gotten weaker with an ugly draft (I don't believe this benefit of the doubt garbage) and losing CB Brandon Browner, DE Red Bryant, DE Chris Clemons, OT Breno Giacomini, S Chris Maragos, DT Clinton McDonald, WR Sidney Rice, WR Golden Taint, and CB Walter Thurmond. We almost beat them at home last year with KC at the wheel so I expect at least one win against these guys.
Then you look at San Fran who had a great draft and have bolstered more support for their offense. Losing S Donte Whitner and CB Carlos Rodgers hurts their secondary quite a bit coupled with the Bowman injury that benches him most likely deep into the season. They did add S Bethea but overall their defense took a hit. These guys had our number last year and they appear to be on an equal track.
Arizona is what brings it all around for us. They did nothing scary in the draft. Our defensive line owns this team and they cannot guard Cook to save their lives. I'm calling this one a double win or a disappointment.

0.500 in the division as I see it, which is actually impressive. All these "experts" don't watch this division with the attention that a lot of us on ROD do. As far as our team, I think we know where we stand but correct me if I'm wrong.
They're always a step or two behind as well,they give teams attributes they no longer have ,I remember how they were still talking about the Cardinals high powered offense for years after Coryell had gone Metcalf was gone Mel Grey,Ike Harris gone Jv Cain had died Jackie Smith had retired all that was left was Jim Hart and Dan Dierdorf at center.

I love they don't give us respect,I want to fly under the radar, Wilson and Kaepernick may be able to save their arses from this pass rush , but Carson Palmer is going to have a long couple games against us ,if he makes it through them ,I'm thinking Kevin Kolb like treatment of the guy

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't wait to see "experts" like Williamson eating crow when Bradford lights it up this year. Does he think Dan Marino is out there waiting for someone to invite him to camp? Upgrade QB there was no one coming out or in free agency that would be an upgrade.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Also, no mention of Gregg Williams as new DC or the nasty injury last year to the Niner's best lb last year, Navarro Bowman. Assuming we avoid disaster, the Rams should have more than a decent chance of making the playoffs this year.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
"Sure, it would have helped to add a top receiver, but is there a bigger unknown in the entire division than Sam Bradford? What the Rams, and everyone else, have to find out is whether Bradford is an elite quarterback."

I'm sorry, but that's stupid. Supposedly the Rams didn't bother getting Sam a #1 WR because they don't know who he is... so let's still not find out. Gah.

The reason they didn't get a #1 WR is because they thought Robinson was BPA, and by the time they picked again, the talent left was comparable to what they already had. That's it. Any other answer is stupid.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I hope Bradford throws 40td's this year and every "expert" has to publicly eat an enormous helping of crow right in front of him. All the while saying I'm sorry Mr. Bradford, may I have another.