2nd round QB chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, there are 3 2nd round QBs, maybe 4 if you include Ridder (which I dont).
- 3 teams almost seem a given to draft 1, Houston, New Orleans and Seattle.
- You could see a Tampa, Minnesota, or Indy draft 1 to ride pine behind their aging, last year of contract player.
- Detroit, Tennessee, Giants & Washington may not be sold on their incumbent, and possibly Baltimore?
Will be very interesting for sure

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Tampa took somebody to learn behind Brady

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Can't see Baltimore as a real option. They have a good one and an excellent back up that nearly beat us. Can't see them carry a 3rd.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I kinda like Ridder as a developmental QB. All these guys though are a work-in-progress type that likely will be lucky to carve out a Keenen, Hoyer, Dalton, etc. type career. Picking them in 1st round would have been idiotic. 2nd round is questionable for most.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's nice to know the Rams have an elite QB in Stafford and a good up and coming talent in Perkins behind him. Sweating out a QB situation sucks if your team really needs one.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's also nice to know....since our first pick is #104.....that QBs are over drafted. I could see Willis, Corral, Ridder, Strong and Howell all go off the board in the 2nd and 3rd before we pick. That eats up 5 of those 71 slots in front of us. Hopefully 4 of them go off in round 2 because that may cause another to go off before we pick.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
It's nice to know the Rams have an elite QB in Stafford and a good up and coming talent in Perkins behind him. Sweating out a QB situation sucks if your team really needs one.

Just curious. I don’t know anything (Except for what I read about him here on ramsondemand!) so can someone give me a little more opinions on Perkins and if he has a chance to be a starter for the Rams in the future or if he is more suited to be a valuable backup QB?

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Just curious. I don’t know anything (Except for what I read about him here on ramsondemand!) so can someone give me a little more opinions on Perkins and if he has a chance to be a starter for the Rams in the future or if he more suited to be a valuable backup QB?
Highly unlikely tbh. Seems to be a developmental prospect at best.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Just curious. I don’t know anything (Except for what I read about him here on ramsondemand!) so can someone give me a little more opinions on Perkins and if he has a chance to be a starter for the Rams in the future or if he is more suited to be a valuable backup QB?
IMO Perkins is a backup. He doesn't appear to have the arm strength to make some of the throws to the sideline or downfield. His athleticism is enticing but I'm not sold on his arm. Maybe he has better anticipation than I give him credit for, time will tell.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They already did that last year.
I forgot about Trask

Willis def goes round 2, just wonder how far down he falls. Minnesota made pick #32 so fast, they may have cost themselves some compensation. A guy like Willis, you'd love to have that 5th year option so you can comfortably red-shirt him knowing you've got the extra year. Alas....

oldnotdead

Legend

Perkins came in raw, i.e. he needed a lot of work. People disregard him because he's a UDFA. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Joe Montana dropped to the 3rd round. Drew Brees went in the 2nd round. Russell Wilson dropped to round 3. Dak Prescott went in round 4. All I'm saying is that talent is more important than what round a guy was drafted. Look no farther than Cooper Kupp a HOF player in the making.

Perkins was downgraded because of arm strength (i.e. no cannon arm), poor footwork and his struggles to read defenses. Drew Brees destroyed the myth of rookie arm strength. Good coaching led him to better physical training that improved his arm strength. It's not arm strength that is important. Accuracy is far more important than arm strength. True accuracy is a god-given talent. Accuracy can be improved if the problem is technique related.

Perkins has shown good accuracy out to the middle ranges (20 yds). He's really improved a lot of his technique issues, especially his footwork. Last season he was poised in the pocket as he showed improvement in his ability to read defenses. He's got a ways to go in that regard but he's showing that he's working on it. Cases in point are Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield, two QBs who came in as RPO type one read and run style QBs. Both still can't read beyond their second option. It's why both have yet to prove themselves as franchise QBs. Perkins showed real developmental progress in just one year. I expect more from him this year.

One aspect that hasn't been really talked about is just how fast Perkins really is. Last year Perkins was timed in the 4.3 range in running, not just once but twice. That makes him as fast as Tyreek Hill. So two things need to be addressed in his development. Arm strength is a matter of a proper physical training regime that will also include maintaining his accuracy. Continued development of his ability to read defenses and who better for Perkins to be behind than Stafford.

If Perkins can improve his deep throwing and master reading defenses he can be a very dangerous QB with his speed. He can be a true dual threat. Those qualities are what make Mahomes so damn dangerous. He's already looking good at short to medium ranges which is where the majority of a QB's passes are thrown. He's got 4.3 speed as a runner. If he simply improves his ability to read defenses, IMO he could start for a team as a high tier 2 QB (Goff, Dak, Jackson types). IMO right now he's better than Baker Mayfield because he's a far better runner. So yeah, if he can learn to read defenses he can be a decent starting QB with a decent ceiling.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Perkins came in raw, i.e. he needed a lot of work. People disregard him because he's a UDFA. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Joe Montana dropped to the 3rd round. Drew Brees went in the 2nd round. Russell Wilson dropped to round 3. Dak Prescott went in round 4. All I'm saying is that talent is more important than what round a guy was drafted. Look no farther than Cooper Kupp a HOF player in the making.

Perkins was downgraded because of arm strength (i.e. no cannon arm), poor footwork and his struggles to read defenses. Drew Brees destroyed the myth of rookie arm strength. Good coaching led him to better physical training that improved his arm strength. It's not arm strength that is important. Accuracy is far more important than arm strength. True accuracy is a god-given talent. Accuracy can be improved if the problem is technique related.

Perkins has shown good accuracy out to the middle ranges (20 yds). He's really improved a lot of his technique issues, especially his footwork. Last season he was poised in the pocket as he showed improvement in his ability to read defenses. He's got a ways to go in that regard but he's showing that he's working on it. Cases in point are Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield, two QBs who came in as RPO type one read and run style QBs. Both still can't read beyond their second option. It's why both have yet to prove themselves as franchise QBs. Perkins showed real developmental progress in just one year. I expect more from him this year.

One aspect that hasn't been really talked about is just how fast Perkins really is. Last year Perkins was timed in the 4.3 range in running, not just once but twice. That makes him as fast as Tyreek Hill. So two things need to be addressed in his development. Arm strength is a matter of a proper physical training regime that will also include maintaining his accuracy. Continued development of his ability to read defenses and who better for Perkins to be behind than Stafford.

If Perkins can improve his deep throwing and master reading defenses he can be a very dangerous QB with his speed. He can be a true dual threat. Those qualities are what make Mahomes so damn dangerous. He's already looking good at short to medium ranges which is where the majority of a QB's passes are thrown. He's got 4.3 speed as a runner. If he simply improves his ability to read defenses, IMO he could start for a team as a high tier 2 QB (Goff, Dak, Jackson types). IMO right now he's better than Baker Mayfield because he's a far better runner. So yeah, if he can learn to read defenses he can be a decent starting QB with a decent ceiling.
Thanks for the information! I had NO idea that he has 4.3 speed!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I wouldn't mind if the Rams added a late rd QB every year. Same thinking as RB's. Get em in the program, see what sticks.

oldnotdead

Legend
He didn't run a 4.3 40 he ran a 4.55. What he does have is fast game speed at times. This is from the past preseason.

Dude the combine speed is a joke. it's run in shorts. You seem to think, 4.55 is slow. Perkins is 6'3" so 4.55 is lightning fast. If he was an edge or TE that would be great speed. The average CB is timed at 4.48 while the average WR is 4.49 and most of them aren't 6'3" tall weighing 213 lbs. IMO game speed is more important and 4.3 times are what is far more important. Go ahead and convert those MPH speeds to timed 40 yd speed and see what they are. Just remember Hill is 5'10" and 185 lbs.

Why do you think the Rams don't bother with the Combine? Why do you think they put more emphasis on the Senior Bowl, and game analytics in their player evaluations? Game speed and quickness is far more important. That is why more and more teams, including Staley bringing analytics to the Chargers, are gaining traction.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the thread derail…

Where do you think Willis goes?
I think Seattle is gonna take him