281 concussions in 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ere-diagnosed-in-2017-most-in-last-six-years/

NFL says 281 concussions were diagnosed in 2017, most in last six years
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 26, 2018

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KQn2ZSt2Mo

The NFL says players were diagnosed with concussions a total of 281 times in 2017, which is the most the league has seen since it began tracking concussions consistently across the league six years ago.

The major increase in concussions came in practices, not in games. There were 45 concussions in practices in the preseason and 11 concussions in practices in the regular season. Both of those totals are the most ever seen by the league. There are always more concussions in preseason practices than in regular season practices because there is much more contact in preseason practices than in regular season practices.

In games, there were 46 concussions in the preseason and 179 concussions in the regular season. Both of those numbers represent increases over 2016, but neither represented an all-time high.

“Certainly we’re disappointed that the concussion numbers are up. It’s something that challenges us to roll up our sleeves and work hard to see that number come down,” said Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL’s Chief Medical Officer. “We take this as a challenge because we’re not going to be satisfied until we drive that number much lower.”

The question is whether that top number of 281 means there were actually more concussions suffered by players, or whether diagnostic efforts have improved. The league indicated that players are self-reporting concussion symptoms more often, which may indicate the latter — and which is good news, even if an increase in concussions is not good news.

fearsomefour

Legend
One a game basically.
Not too bad.
I doubt....seriously doubt there are actually more concussions. They have a system in place that catches more of them. That's a good thing.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Part of the game. They don’t like it, don’t play. I’m about over listening to this shit. They know the risks. If the juice isn’t worth the squeeze, don’t drink it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
NFL's future is a flag football type game played by giant athletes much like the NBA.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If you subtract the 200 that Gronk had, that leaves only 81 for the rest of the league

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/26/barry-church-fined-24309-for-hit-on-rob-gronkowski/

Barry Church fined $24,309 for hit on Rob Gronkowski
Posted by Charean Williams on January 26, 2018

908428834-e1517021385702.jpg

Getty Images

The NFL fined Jaguars safety Barry Church $24,309 for his hit on Rob Gronkowski in the AFC Championship Game.

The Patriots tight end woozily left the game after the second-quarter hit and remains in concussion protocol. Church drew a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty.

It was Church’s first fine of the 2017 season and the standard first-offense fine for a hit on a defenseless player.

The league fined Jaguars players $136,735 this season.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Those seam passes are the most dangerous in the league IMO. You're asking for the TE or WR going down the middle to get blasted into next week if the ball is high. I legit used to feel sorry watching Todd Heap get annihilated on those routes at least once a year. The game won't survive with the current pace of long term brain injuries. Getting rid of these type of hits is a must. They make great highlight vids, but those are brutal.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
freak Gronkowski..........that hit he laid on a guy laying on the turf should have gotten him kicked out of the NFL.
But, but, but they are Patriots. Americas team. F the blue font because it isn't sarcasm unfortunately.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People who have never seen the purpose...the love of football, will use CTE to kill the game by promoting every sad story (and they are sad) which proves that the game is dangerous. They are already killing it slowly, through a thousand cuts and the NFL is always on the defensive. Night Train Lane and Deacon Jones would both be so heavily penalized in today's game, that their HOF play would be neutered. The game I loved as a kid, will probably be unrecognizable before I die.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I don't get what the big deal is. I've had several concussions in my lifetime, and I'm fine.

I mean, I don't get what the big deal is. I've had several concussions in my lifetime, and I'm fine.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
In five years, regular season games will look like the Pro-Bowl. QB's will all be wearing red jersey's and I'll be going fishing on Sundays.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Ever since they outlawed spearing and helmet to helmet contact, nobody does it anymore!