2023 Rams Tight Ends

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am anxious to see Davis Allen and Hunter Long. Not sure what to expect with these two?

Is Higbee a cut/trade candidate with $9M cap number? If so the Rams would be awfully unproven at TE, unless someone like Skow pivots over.

Hopkins just hasn’t emerged, outside a solid SB performance.

Last year we went into the season with 2 TE’s.

What are you thinking about our TE position?

Tyler Higbee
Brycen Hopkins
Hunter Long
Davis Allen
Christian Sims

oldnotdead

Legend
As I said in another thread, it wouldn't surprise me if Higbee is traded or released after OTAs. The Rams could use the cap space and with Long and Allen they have two quality young prospects. Long brings speed to the position, while Allen looks like another Higbee. Hopkins showed he's a decent #3TE. There is no way I can see them carrying more than 3 TEs. They could carry Higbee, but to what end? They have Long and Allen and they need to play them. They are potentially the future of the position. Higbee's production doesn't warrant his cap number and it's been in decline since 2019 which was his best career year at over 700 yds. It's time to move on.

Christian Sims should focus upon being a lead blocker, i.e. improve his blocking technique. He lacks the length, athleticism and true speed to play TE. He's been poor in his in-line blocking and lead blocking both. He's a tweener who is scheme limited at TE. He needs to strengthen and bulk up, and improve his lead blocking technique and become a FB with receiving ability. Otherwise, he's simply a camp body.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee won't be traded or cut. McVay and Stafford made promises to one another by way of committing to stay with the Rams.

If you look at what we did this off-season, we have only improved the offense at this point. Don't see that changing now.

The defense is what took a massive hit in terms of personnel, and it makes sense. Why pay all that money to field a below average d last year? The young guys can do that for cheap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am anxious to see Davis Allen and Hunter Long. Not sure what to expect with these two?

Is Higbee a cut/trade candidate with $9M cap number? If so the Rams would be awfully unproven at TE, unless someone like Skow pivots over.

Hopkins just hasn’t emerged, outside a solid SB performance.

Last year we went into the season with 2 TE’s.

What are you thinking about our TE position?

Tyler Higbee
Brycen Hopkins
Hunter Long
Davis Allen
Christian Sims
I hope Allen sticks. He blocked in college. He’s a tall target. He can make contested catches. And……he has great hands. Drops kill drives. We saw some nice hands catches from OBJ in 2021. They can change a game,

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Higbee won't be traded or cut. McVay and Stafford made promises to one another by way of committing to stay with the Rams.

If you look at what we did this off-season, we have only improved the offense at this point. Don't see that changing now.

The defense is what took a massive hit in terms of personnel, and it makes sense. Why pay all that money to field a below average d last year? The young guys can do that for cheap.
Was the defense really that bad last year? I recall them being on the field for most of every game, I recall them making stops only to see the offense go three downs and punt. I thought the defense was pretty good. The offense stunk.

Without the injuries the Rams were a playoff caliber team. They could easily have made the Wildcard.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Davis Allen and feel he will be a nice complement to Higbee and maybe the Rams do keep all four, however, I still feel Brycen Hopkins could be the odd man out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Davis Allen and feel he will be a nice complement to Higbee and maybe the Rams do keep all four, however, I still feel Brycen Hopkins could be the odd man out.
I agree that Brycen Hopkins and Sims are likely out. Long will get a long leash because he was acquired in the trade and Snead had a high grade on him.

Davis is a sixth round rookie but once Stafford experiences Davis putting his soft hands on Matthew’s balls, there will be no way they cut him :zany1:

Tano

Legend
As I said in another thread, it wouldn't surprise me if Higbee is traded or released after OTAs. The Rams could use the cap space and with Long and Allen they have two quality young prospects. Long brings speed to the position, while Allen looks like another Higbee. Hopkins showed he's a decent #3TE. There is no way I can see them carrying more than 3 TEs. They could carry Higbee, but to what end? They have Long and Allen and they need to play them. They are potentially the future of the position. Higbee's production doesn't warrant his cap number and it's been in decline since 2019 which was his best career year at over 700 yds. It's time to move on.

Christian Sims should focus upon being a lead blocker, i.e. improve his blocking technique. He lacks the length, athleticism and true speed to play TE. He's been poor in his in-line blocking and lead blocking both. He's a tweener who is scheme limited at TE. He needs to strengthen and bulk up, and improve his lead blocking technique and become a FB with receiving ability. Otherwise, he's simply a camp body.
Maybe practice squad dude (Yes I used the word DUDE)

Tano

Legend
Was the defense really that bad last year? I recall them being on the field for most of every game, I recall them making stops only to see the offense go three downs and punt. I thought the defense was pretty good. The offense stunk.
The defense would let the other team drive down the field almost every series but once they got inside the 20, the defense held up more often than not. Yes - it drove me crazy but they kept the score down by limiting the team to at most field goals inside the 20.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that most TDs that were scored against us were broken plays where the defense gave up a long TD.

oldnotdead

Legend
Those drives were because of Morris' attitude of good enough. He had the defense playing uber soft until they got into FG range. How dumb is that? Why was he always conceding scores. Inside the redzone he showed what the defense was really capable of. Why do you think both Bobby Wagner and Ramsey bailed? Maybe it was because their talents were being wasted by an inept DC? Jalen clashed over this soft coverage BS in their first TC and Morris yelled at him he didn't care. Why do you think I'm so hard on Morris? It's because he's wasting the talent on the defense simply because he plays scared. He's afraid of giving up the big play but dying by a thousand cuts is okay with him. What a fucking idiot. On so many 3rd down and long his CBs were lined up at or behind the first down marker. They were supposed to concede the reception then come up and make the tackle assuming incorrectly that the WR would simply fall down short of the marker and not try to reach the line to gain.

Why do you think the defense went from #1 with Staley and dropped every fucking year to #19 in most evaluations. Worse yet Morris is fine with that!!! Geeez McVay fired everyone else who didn't do their jobs but lets Morris have a pass?? I love McVay but I'm not blind to his faults, and this is the most glaring of them all. This ranks up there with not designing his offense to play to Goff's strengths and sabotaging him by not giving him a chance to get to the LOS and properly read the defense. McVay is strange that way. He got rid of Goff because he wasn't "his" QB. He got rid of all those assist coaches because they didn't do the job, but turned a blind eye to the biggest problem coach of all, Morris because they are friends. Just like Morris benched Rochell to play a totally unsuited Kendrick who he likes better. It there is an Achilles heel on this team that's where it is. McVay wants his guys, and that's all there is to it.

It's why I never see Stetson being the QB1 here. Because he isn't Sean's choice he was LaFleur and Robinson's choice.

Psycho_X

Legend
I could see Higbee getting a 1 or 2 year extension before training camp to spread a little bit of his cap number out. He already has three void years that they'd have to work into it but would help a bit. I don't see how the Rams dump him at this point. Would rather the young guys have a vet to lean on anyway.

Unless Hopkins comes in and tears it up I don't know how he sticks around barring an injury. Really like Davis Allen and think Long can at least be serviceable. Sims seems like a perfect practice squad candidate unless he shows purpose on special teams to stick on 53 during season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t see Higbey being moved, wasn’t last year his second best season??

Allen looks like a nice addition and eventual replacement once Higbey is gone.

Agree that Long will likely get a good look in camp.

The others unless they are miracles might not even make the practice squad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah still agree with the sentiment that Higs is unlikely to be moved. But it is a possibility if they decide they need to free up some money because Higs is not gonna be in their long term plans.

If LaPorta had fallen in their laps or if they'd moved up for Kincaid then there'd be a stronger possibility of that. But for it to happen at this point they would need the money for a move they want to make plus the kid TE (or Hopkins) would have to impress the staff in terms of learning this offense and being ready to contribute. So even though we did draft a TE it feels like a longshot. TE room still feels better with Higs leading it.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
No way they move higs, Stafford only looks for 2 guys and one of those is higs. He's safe.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The defense would let the other team drive down the field almost every series but once they got inside the 20, the defense held up more often than not. Yes - it drove me crazy but they kept the score down by limiting the team to at most field goals inside the 20.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that most TDs that were scored against us were broken plays where the defense gave up a long TD.
Yeah, that’s the scheme imo. I do recall the defense never getting a chance to rest on the sidelines too.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Unless they're tanking I don't see Higbee being traded or cut. They won't get anything more than a day 3 pick for him. And they'll probably have plenty of those.

They're already expected to have one of the worse defenses in the NFC. If they cut him then they obviously have no plans to compete this year. Which would be disappointing. Their best chance is on the offensive side. Making it weaker give them little to no chance.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Without the injuries the Rams were a playoff caliber team. They could easily have made the Wildcard.

Statistically they were below average. I do agree were a playoff team without the injuries

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Certainly a possibility. Besides, Higbee's contract fits their formula.....he's got 3 voidable years and a 2.85 mil dead money in 2024.....so they'll get a comp pick when Detroit signs him! Or they could even resign him. It's not like he's 34.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I have no idea what we have behind Higbee, TE is a quite complicated position on any team and even more so on ours.
I am cautiously optimistic as usual but don't see Higz leaving before we start the season.