2022 Edge = 2020/2021 OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Must replace Von Miller!
Have to get a UFA Edge!
Gotta improve OLB!

From Rams.com---------------

"

Rams confident in current outside linebacker room heading into 2022 season​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The perception, at least externally, was that the Rams needed to go outside their roster to find a replacement for outside linebacker Von Miller after Miller signed with the Bills as an unrestricted free agent.
Rams head coach Sean McVay and his staff thought otherwise.

Los Angeles did not address outside linebacker until the seventh round in this year's draft. It also did not sign a big-name free agent pass rusher at that position this offseason. Instead, reminiscent to the approach to the offensive line during the 2020 offseason, L.A. is sticking with its returning options and production to find someone to pair with Leonard Floyd this upcoming season.

"I think a lot of things (go into that confidence)," McVay said earlier this week. "When you go back to prior to acquiring Von last year, you see the production from Justin Hollins. Terrell Lewis played a lot of good football. We all saw really positive strides from Chris Garrett in the preseason. Leonard Floyd has been outstanding for us. And I think also, you acknowledge the fact that Von is such a unique player, but more than anything, it's a confidence in Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis, the development (of Chris Garrett)."

Prior to Miller's arrival in early November last season, the Rams generated 25 sacks through their first eight games, notching three or more in all but two contests.

Within that, Hollins got off to a strong start with two sacks in their season-opening win over the Bears, before suffering a pec injury against the Buccaneers in Week 3 that would cause him to miss an extended period of time. Lewis had three consecutive games with a sack across Weeks 4-6. While Garrett only played in one regular season game, he flashed with 1.5 sacks against the Raiders in Week 2 of the preseason.

"As a group, we take pride in knowing that we can attack a quarterback," Garrett told theRams.com after Monday's organized team activity (OTA) practice. "We can hold it down. We know what we can do. We know it's going to be competitive to get that other spot or just even getting on the field."
That group pre-Miller also helped the Rams win seven of their first eight games.

"I think it just gives us the same confidence we kind of had going into the season last year," Lewis told theRams.com after Monday's OTA practice. "We knew last year we had the same group, so it really just was like, 'Ok, they trust that we'll get to the same point with the same mob that we had. We started out with 7-1 with this same group. They ultimately know who they have in their room and feel confident like, 'Ok, we can do well with this group.' Von was a great addition, it only took us to a higher level."

Of course, that's not to minimize the impact Miller had, as Lewis pointed out.

Statistically, Miller contributed five sacks in eight regular season games, then churned out four more in four playoff games as the Rams went on to win Super Bowl LVI over the Bengals. From an intangible standpoint, he taught the returning outside linebackers "little moves here and there" to use when rushing the passer, according to Hollins. At times, Hollins said it felt like they were at Miller's annual pass rush summit.

Now Hollins and the rest of the returnees will look to apply what they learned to reward the Rams' faith in them this season.
"I think we'll be just fine," Hollins said. "I don't think we need to go find anybody new, nothing like that. It would be crazy if I said we did anyway."------------------
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course the Rams aren't locked into going with the current group on the roster. They could sign somebody prior to camp, during camp or after camp cuts. But it shouldn't shock anybody if they don't. These were the same worries about the OL after 2019. The only difference is they obtained Von Miller for a half season and playoffs so there's the preception he has to be "replaced". "We wouldn't have won it all without him". Maybe. Maybe we would have won anyway. "We NEED a superstar Edge rusher". Sure would be nice but not exactly a necessity. I don't think it's a stretch to say, 'had we never obtained Miller and won the Superbowl, edge wouldn't even be a concern'. I remember after 1 year of Floyd at OLB, 'we had to resign him'. And once we did, things were fine. Floyd on the outside, Donald on the inside certainly seemed like enough.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like edge in 2021 if somebody doesn't step up and step in they'll make a deadline deal for a 1 year rental.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams went with a triumvirate of Hollins, Lewis & Okoronkwo before the Von Miller acquisition. The key with Hollins, Lewis and now Chris Garret will be health. IMO, if the three can stay healthy, then Hollins does a nice job against the run with Lewis offering a little juice with the pass rush and hopefully Garrett improving week over week.

It's obvious to this point the Rams want to create Von Miller in the aggregate, however, if the players don't respond or health again plays into it look for a trade come October. Also factor in a new position coach in Thad Bogardus, who McVay has called out of the last couple of years, however, this is Bogardus first opportunity to coach a unit, he's been a defensive assistant for years.

tempests

Hall of Fame
It's been a pattern of looking outside the organization when they needed help on the edge. Fowler, Clay Matthews, Floyd, then Von Miller. The homegrown options haven't been so reliable for us.

There have been too many games where if Aaron Donald isn't getting pressure, no one else is either.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd put more weight into the premise here if the Rams didn't go after Von pretty hard. They did.
And the Rams also lost a decent edge in Obo.

Lewis' health, and the uncertainty of Garrett are the biggest concerns for me, at the moment. If Hollins stays healthy.... I see a guy who can get 8-10 sacks.

The Rams defense, as a whole, could be better next year with good health. But that edge rush is still a concern.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Yeah I’m not concerned at all. I think they only got Miller last year because an opportunity opened up with him available and they could fit him in with the current young guys they had (to sit and develop more). They didn’t force the miller trade due to a huge hole/need. It was just an opportunity at their doorstep.

With the addition of Wagner now and one more year of some young guys, they will be fine. Not to mention the improvement of some DL guys like Robinson, Gaines, etc.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never has so much credit been given 1 player (Von Miller) since the days of Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White. And the amazing thing about that is the Rams already had and still have one of the best defensive players to ever play the game in Aaron Donald!!!! Von Miller made us better? Or playing next to Aaron Donald made Von Miller look like his old self? His last good year was 2018!!! AD and the Rams made it possible for Von Miller to get one great payday to end his career.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Never has so much credit been given 1 player (Von Miller) since the days of Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White. And the amazing thing about that is the Rams already had and still have one of the best defensive players to ever play the game in Aaron Donald!!!! Von Miller made us better? Or playing next to Aaron Donald made Von Miller look like his old self? His last good year was 2018!!! AD and the Rams made it possible for Von Miller to get one great payday to end his career.
It was a mutually beneficial arrangement. But Von did for AD and the Rams what Demarcus Ware did for Von Miller and the Broncos in 2015.

He made it a nightmare to plan against the Rams and gave them two game wreckers in their defensive front instead of one. And we haven't had an edge rusher be that disruptive since prime Quinn. Like in baseball, at the trading deadline, adding an ace pitcher to your staff to make a pennant run.

He was the AFC defensive player of the month in September before his ankle injury slowed him down. I knew he still had it when we got him and I knew what the Rams pass rush could be if you put him and AD together.

I'm not against the idea of one of our younger players stepping up, but I am not taking it for granted either.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It was a mutually beneficial arrangement. But Von did for AD and the Rams what Demarcus Ware did for Von Miller and the Broncos in 2015.

He made it a nightmare to plan against the Rams and gave them two game wreckers in their defensive front instead of one. And we haven't had an edge rusher be that disruptive since prime Quinn. Like in baseball, at the trading deadline, adding an ace pitcher to your staff to make a pennant run.

He was the AFC defensive player of the month in September before his ankle injury slowed him down. I knew he still had it when we got him and I knew what the Rams pass rush could be if you put him and AD together.

I'm not against the idea of one of our younger players stepping up, but I am not taking it for granted either.
Yup.

I have no idea why it's a concept that's meeting so much resistance.

It takes a team to win a Super Bowl.. and he was a very important part of that team. He made significant plays during the playoffs... and it's not like they simply cruised past The 9ers, Bengals and Bucs. Von was huge in the Tampa game.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

So are you saying the Ram defense hasn't been a nightmare to play/plan against with Donald wreaking havoc? That's not the way it's perceived in NFL circles from what I can see/read/hear. It's Aaron Donald and the Rams defense. Not Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn. Or Aaron Donald and Dante Fowler. Or Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd. Or even Aaron Donald and Von Miller. It's AARON DONALD. My god, the Rams staff has proven that. It doesn't matter who they plug in to play next to him....whomever it is looks better along side him and he always makes a huge impact. We didn't lose the 2018 Superbowl because Aaron Donald, Dante Fowler and the Rams D didn't do their job. We lost the 2018 Superbowl because Goff and McVay's offense didn't do theirs. And in 2021, Stafford and McVay's offense did their job.