2019 Rams Draft: Success or Failure - depends on your lens!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here is a list of the Rams' 2019 draft picks:

2(61): Taylor Rapp, S, Washington
3(70): Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis
3(79): David Long, Jr., CB, Michigan
3(97): Bobby Evans, OG, Oklahoma
4(134): Greg Gaines, DT, Washington
5(169): David Edwards, OG, Wisconsin
7(243): Nick Scott, S, Penn State
7(251): Dakota Allen, LB, Texas Tech

All but Allen stuck, and (with the exception Henderson, who was waived mid-season last year), played out their rookie contracts. As of now, none of have been re-signed, and only Rapp and Edwards remain candidates to return.

So, factoring in that the Rams didn't have a Top 60 pick, was this a successful draft, or a failure?

To me, it was clearly a success. Rapp, Long, Gaines, Edwards and Scott all became starters or primary rotation players on a team that won the Super Bowl Henderson had a lesser role, but had a few moments worth remembering, including a 25 yard reception in the big game. Evans... well, he played, but not well.

Sure, there's always a hope when you draft guys on Days 2 and 3 that you'll find that hidden gem who becomes a star. That didn't happen in 2019, but the Rams obtained some solid players who helped the teams' stars win a championship.

As we approach this year's draft with a similar (actually, superior) compliment of picks, I will certainly hope to find that diamond-in-the-rough.

We could do worse than 2019, though, if you ask me.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Long was a huge miss.
Yes, he was a miss but he was drafted 79th overall, not like a top 50 guy. Long was really pretty good on a good Michigan defense and I liked the pick personally when it happened. It does hurt to see Jamel Dean and Julian Love be selected after Long however. But, outside of them, not much talent at all.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was 2019, what's important is what we do in 2023 and 2024.
We need a couple of home runs instead of singles and strike outs.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I see the 2019 class as "about average", with an interesting mix of hits and misses.

I see the Rams' successes as being mostly fueled by hitting home runs with moves for elite guys like Whit, Miller, Stafford, OBJ, Ramsey. Their draftees have been "barely good enough" to complement the superstars.

Rapp was pretty solid but flawed. Henderson ran hot and cold but pretty good. Long overall was IMHO a disappointment. Evans, no comment. Gaines was great. Edwards a pretty solid pick, but many seemed to think he was overrated. Nick Scott was a steal in the 7th.

If the Rams are going to invest more in the draft, I sure hope their 2023 draft ends up bringing more solid starters than the 2019 draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To me, it was clearly a success. Rapp, Long, Gaines, Edwards and Scott all became starters or primary rotation players on a team that won the Super Bowl Henderson had a lesser role, but had a few moments worth remembering, including a 25 yard reception in the big game.
THAT is the definition of a successful draft. 7 players, all with starts. No first round pick.

It might have lacked an upper echelon player, but that’s a productive class.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a success based off contributions. How many teams get zero snaps from draftees? Pretty sure a lot do and are dust in the wind within 3 years. It’s the way the Pro-Sports work.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's safe to say what lense most on this site will see it through.

But huge success to me. Edwards, Scott, Gaines and Long were all basically starters on a Super Bowl winning team.

Ram65

Legend
Here is a list of the Rams' 2019 draft picks:

2(61): Taylor Rapp, S, Washington
3(70): Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis
3(79): David Long, Jr., CB, Michigan
3(97): Bobby Evans, OG, Oklahoma
4(134): Greg Gaines, DT, Washington
5(169): David Edwards, OG, Wisconsin
7(243): Nick Scott, S, Penn State
7(251): Dakota Allen, LB, Texas Tech

All but Allen stuck, and (with the exception Henderson, who was waived mid-season last year), played out their rookie contracts. As of now, none of have been re-signed, and only Rapp and Edwards remain candidates to return.

So, factoring in that the Rams didn't have a Top 60 pick, was this a successful draft, or a failure?

To me, it was clearly a success. Rapp, Long, Gaines, Edwards and Scott all became starters or primary rotation players on a team that won the Super Bowl Henderson had a lesser role, but had a few moments worth remembering, including a 25 yard reception in the big game. Evans... well, he played, but not well.

Sure, there's always a hope when you draft guys on Days 2 and 3 that you'll find that hidden gem who becomes a star. That didn't happen in 2019, but the Rams obtained some solid players who helped the teams' stars win a championship.

As we approach this year's draft with a similar (actually, superior) compliment of picks, I will certainly hope to find that diamond-in-the-rough.

We could do worse than 2019, though, if you ask me.

THAT is the definition of a successful draft. 7 players, all with starts. No first round pick.

It might have lacked an upper echelon player, but that’s a productive class.
Yes, it was!

As good or a little better would help to right the ship by 2024. The Rams have full draft in 2024 to boot. It will be interesting to see how Snead/McVay work the trades and picks.

• Round 2, Pick 36
  • Round 3, Pick 69
  • Round 3, Pick 77 (from MIA)
  • Round 5, Pick 167*
  • Round 5, Pick 171*
  • Round 5, Pick 177*
  • Round 6, Pick 182
  • Round 6, Pick 189 (from GB)
  • Round 6, Pick 191 (from TEN)
  • Round 7, Pick 223
  • Round 7, Pick 251*

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hideous haul of semi-starters.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it's safe to say what lense most on this site will see it through.

But huge success to me. Edwards, Scott, Gaines and Long were all basically starters on a Super Bowl winning team.
YEP - comp picks as well.

2020 was BAD for the 2022.