2019 Draft Progress Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As this group continues this early part of camp with lots of good press, figured it'd be nice to take a look overall at what we have so far...

2. S Rapp. Already has a rep as a "flat baller." Showed well in coverage vs the Chargers at game speed, and coverage btw was one of the reasons he was available into round 2 (was in that top SS type category which usually means round 2+ range).
Prognosis: ceiling is a high end all-around safety, floor is a good box safety. Off to great start.

3. RB Henderson. Has flashed the speed and playmaking ability they drafted him for thus far in camp. Has also demonstrated exceptional hands to include over the shoulder catch.
Prognosis: ceiling is high end RB who can flip the field, floor is third down back. Off to a great start.

3. CB Long. In a star-studded secondary he's already fighting for that CB4 role and has been specifically called out by McVay in doing a good job.
Prognosis: ceiling is plus starting CB, floor is slot CB. Off to a good start.

3. OT Evans. Has been doing time of late vs the Chargers as RT2, which is sort of a surprise since of the two OT picks he's the guy with the better feet for the left side. Kromer doesn't seem concerned or anything and slotting as a backup on a championship-level roster is not a bad thing for a rook.
Prognosis: ceiling is LT starter, floor is depth/swing tackle. Off to solid start.

4. NT Gaines. In a battle with our second year NT who has held onto the starting job. Hasn't won that job but the staff seems happy with him and he was mentioned post-Chargers scrimmage for playing well. And overall for a rookie 4th rounder to be in the mix for a starting job or even splitting snaps is a big deal.
Prognosis: ceiling is plus starting NT, floor is depth/rotation run stuffer. Off to a good start.

5. OT Edwards. Just lined up in a scrimmage vs a top defensive roster as LT2 which no matter how you slice it is a big deal. Guy who looks like he was overlooked and that the Rams might have gotten a steal.
Prognosis: ceiling is LT starter or plus OG starter, floor is depth/swing tackle. Off to great start.

7. S Scott. Has been receiving great reviews for what he was drafted for: teams. Seems like Bones' pick is going to be a good one.
Prognosis: ceiling is core special teams stud, floor is special teams.

7. LB Allen. Has been hurt not much to track on the dude as of yet. Still a lot of games ahead for him to make a move, we'll see.
Prognosis: ceiling is core special teams, floor is cut.

So while you guys might not like my prognosis on these players (or might want to quibble with ceilings/floors) this draft haul looks more promising than most. We have the two earliest picks flashing routinely in practice and scrimmage. We have a few others showing early return that insinuates they might be future starting types. Yeah it's too early and this is a crazy thing to look at, but it's fun to see a draft group offer us some impact and some overall starter numbers that would be a very impressive draft class if it continues. Hope it still looks this good after we see a few preseason games because this class is gonna get a lot of looks. :D

Ram65

Legend
So while you guys might not like my prognosis on these players (or might want to quibble with ceilings/floors) this draft haul looks more promising than most. We have the two earliest picks flashing routinely in practice and scrimmage. We have a few others showing early return that insinuates they might be future starting types. Yeah it's too early and this is a crazy thing to look at, but it's fun to see a draft group offer us some impact and some overall starter numbers that would be a very impressive draft class if it continues. Hope it still looks this good after we see a few preseason games because this class is gonna get a lot of looks. :D

This a good time for your rookie review even without any preseason game play. They have had enough time to make impressions on coaches, media and Rod reporters. The reports have been very uplifting. Hard to find fault with your work which shows the Rams rookies so far are looking as good as advertised. I like them all and really have no favorite. This draft class is a great mix of defense and offense. It exciting to see their continued development. Many are going to contribute right away with a late second round pick as the highest draft pick. We can tell it's going to be a great draft even before their first preseason game.

oldnotdead

Legend
Rapp: Coming along as expected. His performance shows he plays much faster than he times so that concern is moot. When Weddle leaves, Rapp and Johnson will be a very good tandem of safeties.

Henderson: It looks like he will be the #3 RB for a solid 4 years. Breakaway speed and acceleration a dangerous combination. A solid 3rd down type RB.

Evans: Doesn't have the physical traits the NFL looks for as a starting LT. So I feel he was drafted to play LG when Noteboom moves to LT. Evans has the OG build the team is looking for. His OT play in college showed he has good feet and movement. I feel the Rams drafted wisely.

Long: Wade Phillips wants a pair of shutdown CB's to play his defense properly. There is no question in my mind that Long was drafted as Talib's replacement, probably as soon as next year. He has excellent speed, good length and his physical style of play is a good fit for a boundary CB. It remains to be seen if Peters is his bookend.

Gaines: In my opinion it remains to be seen if everyone crowning SJD the starter at 1T are correct. I think Gaines will do enough in pre-season to win the start. I think people are underestimating Greg. Gaines isn't a logjam type of player. He's a disruptive force in the middle, capable of breaking up an inside run, and collapsing the pocket on passing downs, i.e. serving the QB up for AD. I have no doubt at all that in the long run Gaines will be the starting 1T for the Rams for a long time.

Edwards: He dropped in the draft for good reason. He's very raw, meaning he needs time to polish his game. He's got the physical traits you look for in a good OT. I think for his first contract he will do just that. He will perfect his game and his second contract he will be the starting RT. Rob Havenstein just signed a 4 year deal. But at the end of that contract he will be 30 or 31. Edwards will be about 25. Until then he will be on the roster as a swing tackle. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was inactive all season. If in 4 years he proves himself a good swing OT then IMO he will be next inline for the RT spot, the position he played at Wisconsin.

Scott: I think he will be a key ST's contributor. He will likely be returning kick offs and perhaps punts as well. I think he could be a very good CB but I think the Rams look at him as a solid depth safety when Weddle departs. But in reality this kid ran a low of 4.38 with an average of 4.45 at 5'11" with 31" arms he has speed and length you want in a CB. Why is he at safety?

Allen: At best I see him as a developmental PS type player.

Gervase: He wasn't drafted but I think he could make the team. Like Scott he has CB potential, but in the very least he and Scott will make the team 4 deep at safety when Weddle departs. But he needs to show solid play in pre-season. If he does like I expect him to do, I think he could make the team. IMO however he would be wasted talent as a backup safety. This kid has excellent length, speed and most of all agility. I would develop him as a CB to play slot CB to replace Roby-Coleman who frankly is mistake prone as we saw in New Orleans. His imfamous PI was only the most obvious and egregious mistake but not his only one of the game. After this season Nickell can be released with no dead cap. Gervase at 6'1" and 30" arms and timed at a low of 4.48 and an average of 4.56 is a better matchup for the larger Y receivers. What is impressive about Gervase is his outstanding agility which is rare. This is why I would love to see him as a CB either boundary or slot. (BTW he's taller and faster than Peters)

The problem in the secondary is at CB. Talib is probably gone next year due to his age. They have Long as his replacement. But Peters is the huge question mark. Troy Hill is a marginal safety with a huge dropoff when he plays. The Rams have two safeties in Scott and Gervase who have all the traits you look for in CBs. I would coach both up as CB's and next year replace Talib, Peters, Roby-Coleman and Hill with boundary CB's in Long, Scott and slot CB Gervase, and Kevin Peterson as backup.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As this group continues this early part of camp with lots of good press, figured it'd be nice to take a look overall at what we have so far...

2. S Rapp. Already has a rep as a "flat baller." Showed well in coverage vs the Chargers at game speed, and coverage btw was one of the reasons he was available into round 2 (was in that top SS type category which usually means round 2+ range).
Prognosis: ceiling is a high end all-around safety, floor is a good box safety. Off to great start.

3. RB Henderson. Has flashed the speed and playmaking ability they drafted him for thus far in camp. Has also demonstrated exceptional hands to include over the shoulder catch.
Prognosis: ceiling is high end RB who can flip the field, floor is third down back. Off to a great start.

3. CB Long. In a star-studded secondary he's already fighting for that CB4 role and has been specifically called out by McVay in doing a good job.
Prognosis: ceiling is plus starting CB, floor is slot CB. Off to a good start.

3. OT Evans. Has been doing time of late vs the Chargers as RT2, which is sort of a surprise since of the two OT picks he's the guy with the better feet for the left side. Kromer doesn't seem concerned or anything and slotting as a backup on a championship-level roster is not a bad thing for a rook.
Prognosis: ceiling is LT starter, floor is depth/swing tackle. Off to solid start.

4. NT Gaines. In a battle with our second year NT who has held onto the starting job. Hasn't won that job but the staff seems happy with him and he was mentioned post-Chargers scrimmage for playing well. And overall for a rookie 4th rounder to be in the mix for a starting job or even splitting snaps is a big deal.
Prognosis: ceiling is plus starting NT, floor is depth/rotation run stuffer. Off to a good start.

5. OT Edwards. Just lined up in a scrimmage vs a top defensive roster as LT2 which no matter how you slice it is a big deal. Guy who looks like he was overlooked and that the Rams might have gotten a steal.
Prognosis: ceiling is LT starter or plus OG starter, floor is depth/swing tackle. Off to great start.

7. S Scott. Has been receiving great reviews for what he was drafted for: teams. Seems like Bones' pick is going to be a good one.
Prognosis: ceiling is core special teams stud, floor is special teams.

7. LB Allen. Has been hurt not much to track on the dude as of yet. Still a lot of games ahead for him to make a move, we'll see.
Prognosis: ceiling is core special teams, floor is cut.

I think your prognosis is great. I loved this draft from the jump - we got three guys that figure to contribute situationally in year 1: Rapp, Gaines and Henderson. The selection of Rapp was genius because it makes you view the ILB opposite Littleton differently.

Then we addressed future needs in Long, Evans and Edwards - all three guys hopefully will not see much of the field this year (save for maybe Long in some situations) - but all three are probably in the Allen/Noteboom/Kiser mold of future starters.

Scott and Allen are for special teams, which was also going to be needed. I said it then and I'll say it again - this draft is going to look like McVay's first - and people will be wondering how the Rams got two great players (Kupp/JJ and Rapp/Gaines) and a decent weapon on offense (Everett and Henderson) without having a first round pick.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
With regard to Scott and Allen: Someone on this board said it before that McSnead is churning the bottom of the roster improving it from bottom up when they can. Even without those early round draft picks the last couple years, the overall talent level on the roster is improved. This shows especially on Special Teams where the Rams are outstanding in nearly all facets. My only wish is to find a better punt returner that can also add to positional depth somewhere.