2018 NFL Head Coach Rankings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938541/2018-nfl-coach-rankings-bill-belichick-and-then-

2018 NFL coach rankings: Bill Belichick and then ...
Elliot Harrison

Front men. That's what NFL head coaches have become. Gone are the days of assistants doing TV interviews. GMs rarely take the mic, unless it's at league meetings. Head coaches are THE face of the product, attached to successes and pitfalls in a way that perhaps only real front men can understand.

Guys like Axl Rose, Mick Jagger and whoever those brothers were from Oasis. Lions fan Kid Rock doesn't count. But while we're here ... Detroit features a new front man: Matt Patricia, one of seven new coaches -- the group that makes these annual NFL Head Coach Power Rankings a slippery undertaking. (Patricia also looks like he could play bass for Metal Church.)

How do you rate coaches who've never done the job? How do those who have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy stack up? And what about Doug Pederson, who pulled it off as a sophomore? Answers below.

108976074_usatsi_10484429.jpg

MyAJC.com

13) Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
McVay deserves this high of a ranking after only one season due to the Rams' instant turnaround and the savvy development of Jared Goff. The No. 1 overall pick in 2016 performed miserably in miserable circumstances during his rookie campaign, but under McVay's tutelage (and leadership), Goff tossed 28 touchdown passes against a minuscule seven interceptions.

As impressive: McVay's poise in the postgame, assuming accountability for losses while deflecting credit after the team's 11 wins. He's already put his stamp on the franchise.
To read the entire list click the link above. If you're in a hurry I've posted the list below.

1) Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
2) Asshole Face, New Orleans Saints
3) Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks :poop:

4) Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
5) John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens :poop::poop:
6) Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
7) Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
8) Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
9) Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders :poop::poop::poop:
10) Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings

11) Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons
12) Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers
14) Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars
15) Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys
16) Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
17) Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
18) Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins
19) Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
20) Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals
21) Adam Gase, Miami Dolphins
22) Todd Bowles, New York Jets
23) Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
24) Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions
25) Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
26) Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
27) Pat Shurmur, New York Giants
28) Dirk Koetter, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
29) Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
30) Vance Joseph, Denver Broncos
31) Steve Wilks, Arizona Cardinals
32) Hue Jackson, Cleveland Browns

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a bad list seems to be on point, everyone above McVay with the exception of Marone has had post season victories and longer tenure and I feel they have Doug Pederson rated perfectly, although i would take Perdereson over Tomlin at this juncture. I also feel Kyle Shanahan is too low, but I'm sure others might disagree.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Andy Reid and Pete Carroll should straight up change spots, and then put Zimmer ahead of Carroll.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I get it that Boy Genius has only 1 year on his resume so he didn't make their top 10.

Not even being a Rams homer, but the Rams BIG 3 are the King Triplets of the NFL bar none.

usatsi_10484707.jpg

a5byxenege74mdgfatia.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The OP article says for 2018. Pete Carroll and his team is going down the tubes. John Harbaugh's record over the last 3 seasons is 22-26 and he's ranked #5? Jon Gruden's record over the last 3 seasons he coached is also 22-26 and he hasn't coached in 10 years. Yet he's ranked #9 on this list? That's why I awarded those :poop::poop::poop: to them. Jason Garrett is also ranked way too high. If the coaches on this list are ranked according to their past achievements then I could see it.

dang

Legend
Fair except for Jon Gruden (unproven with OAK) and Harbaugh (on the serious downside of success) and Carroll (deserves to be ahead of McVay for one more year but too high on the list).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Zimmer has 2 winning seasons in 4 years and realistically are 0-2 in playoffs if not for a miracle

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OP article says for 2018. Pete Carroll and his team is going down the tubes. John Harbaugh's record over the last 3 seasons is 22-26 and he's ranked #5? Jon Gruden's record over the last 3 seasons he coached is also 22-26 and he hasn't coached in 10 years. Yet he's ranked #9 on this list? That's why I awarded those :poop::poop::poop: to them. Jason Garrett is also ranked way too high. If the coaches on this list are ranked according to their past achievements then I could see it.
Even worse about Jon Gruden, it is not known if his style is outdated today? Gruden wasn't that good when he quit, and so now he's better than a young coach who lifted a losing franchise and labeled bust of a QB into the playoffs and respectability in one year? Ok...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I count 6 ahead of McVay that shouldn't be As for Pete Carroll......WTF?

I'm not a fan of Pete's, but he's proven himself to be high on the list.

The guy who they got way wrong is Anthony Lynn, whose only season of measurement is an underwhelming performance in a weak ass division by a very talented team.

fearsomefour

Legend
Tomlin?
He loses games at this point. Strange coaching decisions, going for two for no reason, letting their OC make bad decisions.
Reid?
He can go 13-3 all the time, a Reid team is always a bet against game one of the playoffs.

Ram65

Legend
7) Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
8) Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles

Reid just not a playoff coach.

Pederson only two years but, he looks like he will be a top five coach.

McVay can move up this year. Really too early to go much higher

9) Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders :poop::poop::poop:

Why 9 and how can you rate him being out of the game for ten years.

1) Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
2) Asshole Face, New Orleans Saints
3) Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks :poop:

Hate Carroll but he has been consistent like the top two. He will have his hands full this year.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Gruden automatically gets awarded a spot? Kind of :poop: is that? He has been in the announcers booth for the past decade. Doesn’t make sense. Whatevers. McVay should be between 6-10 atleast.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder if all of these coaches make the list if they don’t have guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson., etc...
I’d bet the house that Carroll wouldn’t be top 15 without Wilson. He struggled against the Spags Rams teams with clipboard Jesus.