2017 Rams Roster Preview: OL Pace Murphy Looks To Repeat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/7/6/15924592/la-rams-roster-2017-preview-pace-murphy

The UDFA surprisingly made the 53-man roster last year. Now, Murphy’s looking to make it two years in a row.

Los Angeles Rams OL Pace Murphy is the true UDFA Cinderella story.Last year at this point, we didn’t even know if he was a real person. He overcame the odds and made the initial 2016 53-man roster as a UDFA OL under former Head Coach Jeff Fisher. Murphy came from Northwestern State University (again, a real place) beating out players like Isaiah Battle, a 2015 fifth-round supplemental pick.Murphy only logged game action in two games and will be facing another uphill battle to make the squad this season.

Roster Battle
The Rams offensive line remains in flux from last year. Even with the Greg Robinson trade and Rob Havenstein moving inside to guard, the Rams have Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal, Darrell Williams and Andrew Whitworth all playing tackle in addition to UDFA Michael Dunn.

Chances are, Murphy has even slimmer chances this season as the Rams look to start maximizing the mix of guys that have been drafted such as Donnal, Brown and Havenstein.

Expectations
Murphy may fit McVay’s zone scheme better than Jeff Fisher’s “power” scheme (if he had an offensive scheme). However, physically, there is a reason why Murphy didn’t get many draft looks compared to the guys who were drafted.

If the staff feels that Murphy played well in the final two games of last season, there is a chance that he could get a longer look as a player with true game experience.

Chances of Making Roster (3/10)
Murphy was given virtually a less than 1% chance to make the roster last year and overcame those odds. I’m not going to write him off completely as he does have a valuable trait about him that many other players do not: game experience. With that being said, Pace Murphy is likely another case example of how hard it is to make it and stick in the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He won't be a primary or secondary option at any position, so he's got a tough road ahead to make this year's roster. If I'm him right now, I'm going out of my way to demonstrate that I can play the interior too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not so sure I will agree with any of the later half of this article.

He won't be a primary or secondary option at any position, so he's got a tough road ahead to make this year's roster. If I'm him right now, I'm going out of my way to demonstrate that I can play the interior too.
Which Ram non starter OT on this roster will back up OPTION to LT Andrew Whitworth? :thinking: UDFA Micheal Dunn? Versatile Andrew Donnal? An Injured Reserve Roster rider for the last 2 seasons Darrell Williams? Ex OG now starting RT Jamon Brown? or Pace Murphy ? Who did I miss?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Which Ram non starter OT on this roster will back up OPTION to LT Andrew Whitworth? :thinking: UDFA Micheal Dunn? Versatile Andrew Donnal? An Injured Reserve Roster rider for the last 2 seasons Darrell Williams? Ex OG now starting RT Jamon Brown? or Pace Murphy ? Who did I miss?

Reality sucks lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Which Ram non starter OT on this roster will back up OPTION to LT Andrew Whitworth? :thinking: UDFA Micheal Dunn? Versatile Andrew Donnal?
Gotta be Donnal.....hell....man....if one guy get injured....

See why I didn't wanna just cut Greg? And I know..6th rounder..next year...basically cut to me...except we save $3 mil

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

UDFA, FA, Drafted or not, I don't care! Let the Best man Play!(y);):D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

See why I didn't wanna just cut Greg? And I know..6th rounder..next year...basically cut to me...except we save $3 mil
Keeping GRob did have some merit due to my alleged issue @ reserve LT but it saved a sizable mount of cap & GRob's Tude was might have been a bad as hantavirus virus! Last season guess which OL'er was playing second team LT for most all of TC & pre season?

Ram65

Legend

I would have waited on GRob at least to see him in camp. The fall back is Saffold moves to LT. It's hard to field a good O Line and nearly impossible to have solid backups. It's time Saffold stays at one position. Could use a little more info on Pace Murphy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would have waited on GRob at least to see him in camp. The fall back is Saffold moves to LT. It's hard to field a good O Line and nearly impossible to have solid backups. It's time Saffold stays at one position. Could use a little more info on Pace Murphy.

Played & started @ the LT post in HS & College. Played LT in Rams TC & pre season on second team. Dressed for the final 2 games of 2016 & finished gm #16 @ Right OT for Andrew Donnal who injured his hip & who was starting in place of Havenstien. I do see the new exterior OL zone blocking scheme as positive for both Murphy & Williams. This Ginger haired big man has excellent size to him @ being over 6-6 & near 310 pounds. Williams is is on the smaller size 6-4 300 pounder.

I agree with you on your Rodger Saffold comments. We need RS to concentrate fully on playing OLG to ensure his best season of his career as a OG. With Andrew Whitworth's going on 36 yr old....developing a valid reserve LT is critical.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/pace-murphy?id=2556333

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1004973&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/pace-murphy-player-stats

http://www.nsudemons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3600

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Anybody notice that we're discussing backup OL options? Specifically, backup LOT options?

Seems like our OL situation is now a whole helluva lot better than last year, huh?

fearsomefour

Legend

I think Murphy has a shot of beating out Darrell Williams by simply not being Darrell Williams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If it were me the first guy to LT in the event Big Whit can't go is Saffold, with Donnal or another depth option sliding in to OG. LT trumps OG, and Roger's our best option at that point.

Third option is Brown, with Donnal sliding in to RT.

Donnal looks to be first off the bench for any other position not named Center. Although they might have him in there taking snaps come camp to get a look see at how he can handle it.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody notice that we're discussing backup OL options? Specifically, backup LOT options?

Seems like our OL situation is now a whole helluva lot better than last year, huh?
Haven't we said that the last three years ;) ...I know what will have improved the coaching of the players

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

The player could be not on the roster as well, but I have posted they will keep 9 offensive linemen and Pace Murphy I kept, however, Darrell Williams is more athletic and was very good in preseason in 2015 and not good at all last season. Andrew Donnal did play well playing half of the Saints game, but that is a small sample size so I'm interested in if we will get to see Donnal at LT considering he's the number 2 RT as well.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whitworth, Saffold and Sullivan are the only ones that are pretty much set, after that I don't think anything is set in stone. It will all be sorted out after the pads go on and they play preseason games.

Its going to be a well heated competition for the rest of the OL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Whitworth, Saffold and Sullivan
.....are a good foundation to start with. You have the 2 most important positions covered. LT and Center. Add in a vet above-average Guard.

Donnal
Brown
Wichmann
Murphy
Pace
Eldrenkamp
Blythe

I see the makings of a solid O-line here. FINALLY

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whitworth, Saffold and Sullivan are the only ones that are pretty much set, after that I don't think anything is set in stone. It will all be sorted out after the pads go on and they play preseason games. Its going to be a well heated competition for the rest of the OL.
One would summarize 2 of this trio (Havenstien, Brown & Donnal) will end up starting on that right side of the OL barring injury to the other 3 mentioned vets above (center left). All 3 of these 2015 draft picks were involved in injuries. RH broke his big toe. Brown suffered broken bones & soft tissues tears involving his hand. Donnal injured his hip then re-injured it that mandated surgery. Its safe to say that injuries has robbed this 2015 OL draft class of much of its early production thus far.

Rob Havenstein has the edge in NFL starts with 28. RH received accommodations as best rookie RT in 2015. But RH did sit out two of the last three games due to a calf injury. His 2016 season was the opposite due to a broken big toe/foot injury before TC caused havoc in 2016. By the end of the season RH was just shell of his 2015 self. RH would have been sent to the bench in mid season if injuries to both Rams top 3 OG's (Saffold/ Wichmann/ Brown) were ongoing thus giving a ton of work to the 3rd OT Donnal. In the end Brown got healthy enough to replace starting OG Andrew Donnal who had replaced the injured Cody Wichmann. Donnal finally pushed RH to the sideline & out of his misery in the last 2 games. Thus in 2017 Kromer has plans to play the 6-8 330 pound giant inside @ RG. To this date Kromer has stuck to that plan.

Jamon Brown has 14 starts @ both OG posts. Has suffered injuries too. JB's rise to 1st team RT over GRob early in 2017 OTA's came to a big surprise to most of our member's. How did we forget this over 6-4 330 pound OL'er in college was 3 yr. starter @ both OT posts depending on the play call. Over 40 starts. It was Paul Boudreau who trashed that thought when he was drafted. Kromer found out that JB's RT skills, instincts & technique are raw, latent & cloaked but not nonexistent but underdeveloped...just there waiting for a OL coach like Kromer to help bring out.

Andrew Donnal has 6 starts since his arrival. However AD was the only trending positive producer of the the three as the 2016 season came to an end. AD entered Iowa as a high prized LEFT OT. AD's sophomore season he suffered a knee injury with tears & surgery followed, interrupting a promising trajectory. AD was slow to recover but found himself moving to new posts with 13 starts @ both RG & RT. His senior season he had 13 starts @ RT. AD's 2015 season saw him start @ LG & RT & it was not good & AD suffered a grade 3 MCL sprain in his left knee mid November 2015. Things changed around in 2016 & by wk#12 he was starting @ LT after injury to Saffold & GRob benching. However wk#13 AD injured his hip & then re-injured his hip wk#17 & was replaced by Pace Murphy. I still think that AD will battle JB in TC.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
If it were me the first guy to LT in the event Big Whit can't go is Saffold, with Donnal or another depth option sliding in to OG. LT trumps OG, and Roger's our best option at that point.
Saffold cant stay healthy playing left tackle.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Andrew Donnal has 6 starts since his arrival. However AD was the only trending positive producer of the the three as the 2016 season came to an end. AD entered Iowa as a high prized LEFT OT. AD's sophomore season he suffered a knee injury with tears & surgery followed, interrupting a promising trajectory. AD was slow to recover but found himself moving to new posts with 13 starts @ both RG & RT. His senior season he had 13 starts @ RT. AD's 2015 season saw him start @ LG & RT & it was not good & AD suffered a grade 3 MCL sprain in his left knee mid November 2015. Things changed around in 2016 & by wk#12 he was starting @ LT after injury to Saffold & GRob benching. However wk#13 AD injured his hip & then re-injured his hip wk#17 & was replaced by Pace Murphy. I still think that AD will battle JB in TC.
Donnal gets injured way too often for us to be able to count on him unfortunately.

If he gets injured in training camp he could well be gone.