2016-Rams trade up to #1 (old thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Don't know why the link I'm posting is messed up but here's what it says:

So you want to make a splash in Los Angeles — how about trading for the No. 1 overall pick?

That’s exactly what the Rams have done, making a blockbuster deal to usher in a new era of football in Southern California.

The Rams and Titans announced the historic trade on Thursday morning. Tennessee owned the No. 1 overall pick in the draft having finished the 2015 season 3-13.

Aside from the first selection, Los Angeles will receive the No. 113 pick in Round 4, and the No. 190 overall pick in Round 6. In exchange, Tennessee receives a number of picks from L.A.: No. 15, No. 43, No. 45, and No. 76 overall in 2016, and next year’s first- and third-round selections.

Los Angeles, presumably, executed the trade to target a quarterback at No. 1. But exactly the player — and the position — will be determined April 28.

The Rams have selected No. 1 overall five times in franchise history, most recently in 2010. The franchise last traded up to No. 1 in 1997 to select left tackle Orlando Pace, who was just elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Top defense + Top running game + Uber talented QB? Ask the Patriots and the Seahawks how that formula turned out. Cheer up, boys. Our days of suffering are over!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
YESSSSS!!!!!! Carson Wentz welcome to the Rams! They HAD to do this, they were going nowhere without a QB. I had hoped they would do this but never thought they would have the balls to do it.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Yikes...So we basically have one draft pick this year to improve our offense ? and no first rounder next year either...I don't like this at all.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
get in ... what a move up took a little more than I expected but....needed to be done

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Yikes...So we basically have one draft pick this year to improve our offense ? and no first rounder next year either...I don't like this at all.

That concerns me too. But if they really believe in Goff or Wentz the price was going to be high. And there are only so many ways to get a QB. But it was a high price for sure. But not Redskins high.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
That is a HUGE price to pay. But only time will tell if it was worth it.

If you are getting a legit franchise QB almost no price is too high. Generally, you cannot win in this league without a very good QB - and a franchise guy can transform the entire trajectory of your organization. You can have strong seasons and even go far in the playoffs without a very good QB. But if you want to win the Super Bowl.... you need a very capable passer. The Broncos winning with Manning on his last legs are a huge exception. Even teams like SF and Seattle, though not built on the pass, had very capable QBs when they were winning / going to Super Bowls. A franchise guy is worth his weight in gold.

At the same time, many #1 picks don't go on to even be merely "good" QBs at the NFL level. Much less franchise guys. Many others prove to be good but not great. We saw that with Bradford when we drafted him (although I maintain he could have been great but for health issues and his early development being ruined by the Rams organization). There is nothing wrong with a "good, but not great" QB in the abstract... but for this price tag you have to get more than that.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Goff or Wentz. I think they will above average but nothing special - therefore, I think we paid too much. The fact I don't trust Snisher's evaluation of offensive talent has me even more nervous. But the trade is done now so I choose to hope for the best. No matter what it will be a fun ride. GO RAMS!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Did somebody say Laremy Tunsil?

Only joking, that wouldn't be funny at all. It's got to be Wentz surely?!!!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
How do we feel about the trade? Do we finally get out QB??