2016 Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wiley16350

UDFA
Name
Wiley
A while back I wrote a post about How Jared Goff graded for 2016 and made people mad by just referring to my site and having a pay wall on the information. I ended up attaching the information to this site to make up for it. Hopefully no bad feelings. I have finished grading every QB for the 2016 season and I am in the process of writing up a post on my site for each QB as I count them down. Jared Goff did rank last but I don't think that makes him the worst QB in the league. Here is what I wrote so that you don't have to go to my site to see it.

Goff was severely held back by his surrounding cast, so I will not make any declarations of what kind of QB he will be. The Rams just weren’t very good at anything when it came to offense. They couldn’t block, they couldn’t run, they were too vanilla with play design and as the season progressed the receivers dropped more passes. The team couldn’t even run screen plays very well to at least chalk up some cheap yards for Goff. Penalties, dropped passes, ineffective screen passes that lost yardage and a poor running game consistently put Goff in bad 3rd down situations and made it hard for him to succeed. That led to sacks from holding the ball because Goff wanted to get first downs. That is where I saw the most consistent problem with Goff. He didn’t check the ball down on 3rd and long when better options weren’t available. When that happens, the QB receives a slightly negative grade because checking the ball down is always better than a sack. Brady does it well and it leads to plenty of drive extensions. I feel like I gave Goff these types of grades more than any other QB. To be fair, it is most likely that the Rams still wouldn’t have succeeded because of how bad they were and the yardage needed in many instances but it is still on the QB to at least give his team a chance.

Ultimately, Goff wasn’t as bad as people, nor this grade suggest he was. I feel like he graded so poorly because his team severely limited his opportunities and then he didn’t take advantage of the few opportunities that he did have. To show this in action, I will give examples of 2 different situations. QB ‘A’ has 10 drives with 5 of them ending without negative influence from his team. He leads 3 touchdown drives but is at fault for 2 drives with bad passes on 3rd down. That would be around a 0.46 drive rating if the team was balanced in terms of run and pass. QB ‘B’ has 10 drives with 3 of them ending without negative influence from his team. He leads 1 touchdown drive but was at fault for 2 drives with bad passes on 3rd down. That would be a .03 drive rating if the 1 scoring drive was balanced. Both QB’s made mistakes that ended 2 drives but QB ‘A’ had 2 other opportunities that were conducive to success and that allowed him to have a much better game. This is where Goff’s grade is hurt the most as he was by far the worst QB in drive rating. There are different reasons for a poor drive rating. It can be that the QB played poorly, made game killing mistakes, wasn’t very influential to his team’s success or because he had a limited amount of opportunities and just didn’t take advantage of the opportunities he had. With Goff, it was because of limited opportunities because of how bad the team was around him.

Since Goff’s season was so bad, people looked for faults in Goff rather than accepting that his team wasn’t that good. The most frustrating thing I heard was during the Patriots game. The announcers claimed that Belichick said that Goff stares at the rush, so the Patriots were going to go after him. I had not noticed that at all so I’m not sure where that assessment came from. The Patriots certainly did go after Goff but I think it’s because the Rams were so inept at picking up the rush and not necessarily because of Goff looking at the rush. There was 1 play during the game where they backed up the claim of Goff watching the rush. Of course, the rusher was instantly in Goff’s face and he was trying to avoid the guy. I’m not sure that is the same as a guy that fails to get rid of the ball because he is worried about where a non-existent rush is coming from or a guy that does a poor job of moving in a pocket where room is available. The funny thing; I graded Tom Brady after Goff and I saw him stare at the rush on multiple occasions. I saw it from other QB’s too. Just because you see a guy do something 1 time, doesn’t mean it is a flaw. It must be a consistent issue, to be considered a flaw. I never saw Goff have an issue with staring at the rush enough to consider it a flaw.

While Goff was the lowest graded QB, I have the wherewithal to understand that there was too much that he had to overcome because of the team he played on. Especially for a guy that had a lot to learn about the pro game in the first place. I think he will improve as he develops and the team around him becomes more talented than it was last year, which isn’t very hard. Based on the games that I graded of him in college, he showed great ability to play under pressure and made plays downfield against it. That should be able to translate to the NFL unless he just isn’t smart enough to understand the pro game. That is the biggest question he needs to answer.

I would be happy to provide a link to my site if people want to follow along for the rest of the rankings but I won't do it without permission. I can also provide a rankings list on here if that is preferred.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A while back I wrote a post about How Jared Goff graded for 2016 and made people mad by just referring to my site and having a pay wall on the information. I ended up attaching the information to this site to make up for it. Hopefully no bad feelings.
LOL

I wanna read this... so, I'll be back....Hey man, if I was rough on you for offering your scouting services, I apologize....lol, you make me feel like a bully....

wiley16350

UDFA
Name
Wiley
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL

I wanna read this... so, I'll be back....Hey man, if I was rough on you for offering your scouting services, I apologize....lol, you make me feel like a bully....

I have no recollection of who was rough on me but I understand that I did it the wrong way. So no hard feelings. I have decided that I have to offer my stuff for free for a few years to get a following before I actually start charging for information. That way people have a good idea of what they're getting. I will be following the 2017 season as much as possible as it progresses and providing my actual game charts on my website for free for each QB that I grade. I think people will like what I provide this year but obviously people have to see it first. Which means I have to find ways to get information out there and that can be hard because many sites now days won't let you post links. That is the main reason I post here. The other reason is that I am a fan of Jared Goff. That started when I graded some of his college games and I really liked how he played well despite facing a lot of pressure. Since he went to the Rams, I have taken on the Rams as a team I want to do well. Granted, I am not an actual Rams fan but I will be rooting for them pretty much as long as Goff is around.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The other reason is that I am a fan of Jared Goff. That started when I graded some of his college games and I really liked how he played well despite facing a lot of pressure.
Now I'm clear....

Curious, what did you think of Goff vs USC or UCLA in 2014 & 2015?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No hard feelings, it's difficult to evaluate any players when the scheme and the coaching is flat out garbage. Would've said the thing to players of other teams in hindsight as well.

BelgianRam

UDFA
Name
Timoty
Nice write up,

I remember the announcers in the patriots game going on and on about Jared looking at the rush, because all knowing and never lying Bill Belichick (sp?) told them so in the meetings. If you used your own eyes you would see that even though jared got blasted on multiple occasion I didn't see changes in his pocket movements or feet. In fact it's one of the things that gives me confidence Jared has the tools to become our savior.

Interesting sidenote the analyst that was claiming this over and over, is now the GM of a certain franchise.

wiley16350

UDFA
Name
Wiley
No hard feelings, it's difficult to evaluate any players when the scheme and the coaching is flat out garbage. Would've said the thing to players of other teams in hindsight as well.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say because your last sentence doesn't make much sense but I will say that QB's don't always struggle because of the team around them. There are plenty of QB's that miss wide open receivers, don't do a good job of finding open receivers, run into pressure and fail in crucial moments on a consistent basis. The reason Goff is different is because you don't see a recurring theme of why he fails. The most consistent thing I saw for failure was not dumping the ball off on 3rd and long. His team was a huge hindrance on his ability to succeed. That was the most consistent thing for failure, whether it was pressure, a dropped pass, a penalty, a poor running game or all of the above, he was constantly put in bad situations. Sure, he had his failures which is why he didn't grade well but it is fair to point out that he had limited number of opportunities because of his team. On the other end of the spectrum is Aaron Rodgers who was graded closer to Goff on a per play basis but was graded as the 3rd highest in drive rating. Rodgers had a lot of drive failures because he missed open receivers and his per play grade suffered but since his team was rarely an issue, the Packers still scored a lot of points and his misses weren't as detrimental. Many people think that Rodgers carried that team to the playoffs after his declaration that the Packers would run the table. The truth is, Rodgers just stopped sucking. It is easy to see the problems for a team when you are actually discerning who the blame should be on on not just assuming who it should be on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All this heavy grading of rookie QB seasons in general is just a waste of time tbh.

First off many of these guys are not going to be ready to go day one. And if you look at the top 20 QBs in league history, how many of them were impact Hall of Fame types in year one? The percentages are pretty clear there, for every Marino you have multiple guys on that list who either redshirted or didn't do much. And it didn't matter in the long term. But somehow all these media geniuses continually overlook this fact.

Secondly there are in the modern era a couple different types of QBs in pocket types and read-option types. Read-option QBs have an advantage in development due to the DEs not being able to pin their ears back, as they have to defend the edge. Unfortunately, they take a beating and their shelf life is going to be shorter unless they can make the adjustment to more and more pocket play as their career goes on. Pocket guys and in particular those who come from the spread offenses have an enormous adjustment ahead and have to learn to read defenses and dish it quick and with authority, and can get beat to hell during that adjustment period. But of course they can also have the longest careers due to pocket protection rules, IF they get it. Why is all this important? Because it affects grading QBs in year one.

Lastly you gotta look at talent around them plus the coaching/teaching/gameplanning. A rookie can burn all the midnight oil he wants in the film room, but if what he's being taught is material that will be anticipated by the opposing DC he's in for a nightmare on gameday. Same deal when the protections break down or the pass catchers are in the wrong spots and dropping balls.

So with Goff you have a rookie QB, pocket guy from a spread offense, bad coaching, bad blocking, bad pass catchers. How in the F can you grade that? And why in the F would you want to? Just my take.

wiley16350

UDFA
Name
Wiley
Now I'm clear....

Curious, what did you think of Goff vs USC or UCLA in 2014 & 2015?

I wish I could give you really accurate analysis of those games but I don't have my write ups for the article I wrote on Goff back then because I switched from a pay site to a non pay site. I will say that I only graded 5 games of the 2015 season so I didn't watch the 2014 games. I may have done the 2015 UCLA game but I don't think I did the USC game. I know I did his worst game of the 2015 season when he threw 5 interceptions against Utah. He still graded well in that game because all of the int's weren't his fault and he was under constant pressure. That was the lowest he graded of the 5 games I did and I believe it still graded out to be a Good game.

wiley16350

UDFA
Name
Wiley
So with Goff you have a rookie QB, pocket guy from a spread offense, bad coaching, bad blocking, bad pass catchers. How in the F can you grade that? And why in the F would you want to? Just my take.[/QUOTE]

Well I graded all of the QB's, which is why I did it. My grading system does take into account the team around the QB. Goff didn't receive the lowest per play grade, there were 6 QB's worse than him in that respect. He was in the average range of per play grade which is a judgment of the QB's ability and consistency. The grade is a good reflection of how he performed for that season but it is no way a judgment of how good the QB will be for the entirety of his career. You still have to be able to discern to what degree the QB was hindered or helped by his team to know whether improvement is possible or not. That is why I wrote what I wrote. I believe it is absolutely possible for him to improve because I do believe that his poor performance was influenced greatly by the team around him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

FRO

Legend
As a huge Goff fan coming out of college I'll admit that his rookie season was bad. As in all cases with QBs they tend to get too much credit and too much blame. This offseason the Rams added a great offensive mind at HC who helped Cousins put up big numbers, a legit NFL LT, and legit number one and number two WRs. There is now pressure on Goff. Most of the excuses (or reasons) for his below par play are out the window. It's going to be fun to see how he comes out and performs.

Side note, if you have intentions of being an NFL QB, please avoid going to an air raid offense. It does a horrible job of preparing you for the NFL. Goff has the talent, but he seemed behind mentally because he was making such a huge leap from an air raid offense to an NFL offense. I think he'll overcome it, but it would have been lesser of an obstacle had he just went to a different college.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
A while back I wrote a post about How Jared Goff graded for 2016 and made people mad by just referring to my site and having a pay wall on the information. I ended up attaching the information to this site to make up for it. Hopefully no bad feelings. I have finished grading every QB for the 2016 season and I am in the process of writing up a post on my site for each QB as I count them down. Jared Goff did rank last but I don't think that makes him the worst QB in the league. Here is what I wrote so that you don't have to go to my site to see it.

Goff was severely held back by his surrounding cast, so I will not make any declarations of what kind of QB he will be. The Rams just weren’t very good at anything when it came to offense. They couldn’t block, they couldn’t run, they were too vanilla with play design and as the season progressed the receivers dropped more passes. The team couldn’t even run screen plays very well to at least chalk up some cheap yards for Goff. Penalties, dropped passes, ineffective screen passes that lost yardage and a poor running game consistently put Goff in bad 3rd down situations and made it hard for him to succeed. That led to sacks from holding the ball because Goff wanted to get first downs. That is where I saw the most consistent problem with Goff. He didn’t check the ball down on 3rd and long when better options weren’t available. When that happens, the QB receives a slightly negative grade because checking the ball down is always better than a sack. Brady does it well and it leads to plenty of drive extensions. I feel like I gave Goff these types of grades more than any other QB. To be fair, it is most likely that the Rams still wouldn’t have succeeded because of how bad they were and the yardage needed in many instances but it is still on the QB to at least give his team a chance.

Ultimately, Goff wasn’t as bad as people, nor this grade suggest he was. I feel like he graded so poorly because his team severely limited his opportunities and then he didn’t take advantage of the few opportunities that he did have. To show this in action, I will give examples of 2 different situations. QB ‘A’ has 10 drives with 5 of them ending without negative influence from his team. He leads 3 touchdown drives but is at fault for 2 drives with bad passes on 3rd down. That would be around a 0.46 drive rating if the team was balanced in terms of run and pass. QB ‘B’ has 10 drives with 3 of them ending without negative influence from his team. He leads 1 touchdown drive but was at fault for 2 drives with bad passes on 3rd down. That would be a .03 drive rating if the 1 scoring drive was balanced. Both QB’s made mistakes that ended 2 drives but QB ‘A’ had 2 other opportunities that were conducive to success and that allowed him to have a much better game. This is where Goff’s grade is hurt the most as he was by far the worst QB in drive rating. There are different reasons for a poor drive rating. It can be that the QB played poorly, made game killing mistakes, wasn’t very influential to his team’s success or because he had a limited amount of opportunities and just didn’t take advantage of the opportunities he had. With Goff, it was because of limited opportunities because of how bad the team was around him.

Since Goff’s season was so bad, people looked for faults in Goff rather than accepting that his team wasn’t that good. The most frustrating thing I heard was during the Patriots game. The announcers claimed that Belichick said that Goff stares at the rush, so the Patriots were going to go after him. I had not noticed that at all so I’m not sure where that assessment came from. The Patriots certainly did go after Goff but I think it’s because the Rams were so inept at picking up the rush and not necessarily because of Goff looking at the rush. There was 1 play during the game where they backed up the claim of Goff watching the rush. Of course, the rusher was instantly in Goff’s face and he was trying to avoid the guy. I’m not sure that is the same as a guy that fails to get rid of the ball because he is worried about where a non-existent rush is coming from or a guy that does a poor job of moving in a pocket where room is available. The funny thing; I graded Tom Brady after Goff and I saw him stare at the rush on multiple occasions. I saw it from other QB’s too. Just because you see a guy do something 1 time, doesn’t mean it is a flaw. It must be a consistent issue, to be considered a flaw. I never saw Goff have an issue with staring at the rush enough to consider it a flaw.

While Goff was the lowest graded QB, I have the wherewithal to understand that there was too much that he had to overcome because of the team he played on. Especially for a guy that had a lot to learn about the pro game in the first place. I think he will improve as he develops and the team around him becomes more talented than it was last year, which isn’t very hard. Based on the games that I graded of him in college, he showed great ability to play under pressure and made plays downfield against it. That should be able to translate to the NFL unless he just isn’t smart enough to understand the pro game. That is the biggest question he needs to answer.

I would be happy to provide a link to my site if people want to follow along for the rest of the rankings but I won't do it without permission. I can also provide a rankings list on here if that is preferred.
I heard from a very reliable source that if Goff was not everything they want this year that Kirk cousins will be our qB next year.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I really hope Jared has a break out year.

I was watching my lads play soccer last weekend and had my Rams cap and #16 Goff top proudly on.

Now remember this is Melbourne Australia so not too many people know much about the NFL let alone the Rams.. but a young lad with his father came past and sniggered "Goff? Are you serious?"

I just laughed back - here's hoping it's the last laugh. :LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wiley, I like what you're doing. You're right that you have to earn credibility before people will pay for your stuff. There are too many people out there willing to do it for free for people to pay if you don't have credibility built up.

Twitter is generally a good place to promote your site. I wish you luck with it.

Ramzheart

Rookie
As a huge Goff fan coming out of college I'll admit that his rookie season was bad. As in all cases with QBs they tend to get too much credit and too much blame. This offseason the Rams added a great offensive mind at HC who helped Cousins put up big numbers, a legit NFL LT, and legit number one and number two WRs. There is now pressure on Goff. Most of the excuses (or reasons) for his below par play are out the window. It's going to be fun to see how he comes out and performs.

Side note, if you have intentions of being an NFL QB, please avoid going to an air raid offense. It does a horrible job of preparing you for the NFL. Goff has the talent, but he seemed behind mentally because he was making such a huge leap from an air raid offense to an NFL offense. I think he'll overcome it, but it would have been lesser of an obstacle had he just went to a different college.

It was kind of surprising to me that Marcus Mariota was able to have so much success his rookie year. Im sure the fact that he is more mobile and had a better surrounding cast is the main reason.
Didnt Aaron Rodgers also run the same system as Jared! I wonder what he would have looked like had he been forced in his first year. I remember when he finally did start it seems like his main issue was holding the ball too long.

FRO

Legend
It was kind of surprising to me that Marcus Mariota was able to have so much success his rookie year. Im sure the fact that he is more mobile and had a better surrounding cast is the main reason.
Didnt Aaron Rodgers also run the same system as Jared! I wonder what he would have looked like had he been forced in his first year. I remember when he finally did start it seems like his main issue was holding the ball too long.
Being athletic helps overcome the transition initially, so guys like Mariota and Newton are examples of guys having success right away. QBs that win in the pocket are usually the ones that win for you consistently. Goff isn't a guy who has that sort of athleticism to overcome the learning curve. It's extremely difficult and like you mentioned, if Rodgers had been thrown in there game one he may have never been given the chance to develop into the player he is now. Maybe it was a mistake for the Rams to go all in on a guy who needed time to develop. Maybe it was a bigger mistake to have Keenum be the bridge QB. What's done is done though and Goff has a great opportunity to turn the corner and be a good QB.

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy
Didnt Aaron Rodgers also run the same system as Jared!

Aaron Rodgers played in a completely different system. He played for Jeff Tedford who ran a complicated (some would say overly complicated) pro style system. He also played on much better teams. The teams he played on had a defense. His final year they were 10-2 with a 2000 yard back as well as a freshman Marshawn Lynch. Goff was recruited by Tedford, but Tedford was fired before his freshman year for a combination of bad team play and horrible academic performance of the players.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know I did his worst game of the 2015 season when he threw 5 interceptions against Utah. He still graded well in that game because all of the int's weren't his fault and he was under constant pressure.
I didn't think he played that bad versus Utah....a couple of those int's were not his fault. Think that was the matchup of two 5-0 teams....maybe Utah was 5-1

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I wish I could give you really accurate analysis of those games but I don't have my write ups for the article I wrote on Goff back then because I switched from a pay site to a non pay site. I will say that I only graded 5 games of the 2015 season so I didn't watch the 2014 games. I may have done the 2015 UCLA game but I don't think I did the USC game. I know I did his worst game of the 2015 season when he threw 5 interceptions against Utah. He still graded well in that game because all of the int's weren't his fault and he was under constant pressure. That was the lowest he graded of the 5 games I did and I believe it still graded out to be a Good game.

No problem, since I watched that USC game in 2015 during Goff's so called excellent season, which actually translates to his only winning (barely) season.....USC had no problems handling Goff or Cal for that matter.

Now don't misunderstand me, I have nothing against Goff, I hope he's successful, but at this point, I still wish the Rams would have picked Wentz. Those who point to Goff and compare him to Brady (size wise) are whistling past the grave yard. Oh and with a sound supporting cast I anticipate Goff will eventually attain mediocre status (mid teens).....it's just that the Rams deserve better, IMO.