2015 vs 2016 Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Some guy wrote on another board (paraphrased): we have the same players on offense! We will still really suck. Yes, he is right about the players, however, our offense has a chance to inch up a bit, and control the ball, and maybe put up 6 point more per game, and gives us a chance for 3-4 more wins. Read on at your emotional peril:

Here is the 2016 O compared to last year:
1. Brown, Wichmann and GRob will be much better.
2. Barnes and Saffold (because of surgery) a little bit better. Barnes looks pretty now, right?
3. Kendricks looks natural catching the ball for the first time, and he looks lighter and faster.
Higbee at some point will be making catches that Cook wouldn't or couldn't.
4. Austin should be able to run better routes, and a few deeper routes a game.
5. Gurley and Cunningham are faster and lighter than last year; and Gurley will be 'integrated' in to the passing game, and can catch some key swing passes to convert 1st downs ala Cappeletti, McCutcheon and Dickerson in they hey-day...no, he isn't Faulk yet ;)
6. Britt the same, but with better sharper patterns.

I think the coaching is a a bit better going in to this season. The WRs look smarter IN THEIR short routes. If you watch last season we threw plenty of deeper routes. But, on 3rd down, when we needed 7-12 yards we never threw the dig/crossing routes or deep come backs. I suspect the same this year. However, We will not have games like this exhibition season where we only threw 3-8 yard outs (comical---or does fisher really believe that will work over 16 games). That was for show.

If you watch the 2015 Green Bay game, that was typical of our offensive season. We had many chances, and a few missed field goals, and a bad throw returned for a TD. Really, Foles lost that game. Though Foles threw some nice 'clean' deep balls that Case won't, he really handicapped the offense I think. I don't know if we would have won that game, but we would have been tied in the 4th quarter if Foles manages the game better. Our O line looked pitiful, too.....I think those days are mostly gone...mostly. We still don't have great pass blocking (I am not high).

So, maybe we will be 22nd in offense this year, but if we control the ball like we did against KC's first team D (though they missed 2 probowlers) we can be like the 99-2002 Titans who kept finding ways to win.

Going back to the Fisher's Titans and 'ballers':
Fisher won by guys making 1-2 plays in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. A lot of times they looked 'lucky' but Wycheck or Mason would make some key plays on McNairs toss ups....I think Fisher really, really missed those tow guys. We have the Power O line and Gurley, but we need guys to 'ball"---like Spruce. Cooper, Spruce, Higbee are ballers. I don't think they will contribute so much the first 4-5 games, but by midseason they will make plays.

When Fisher last made a playoff run (13-3 in 2008 ) he has a) a huge O line, b) fast Christ Johnson
and c) Kerry Collins who could consistently make accurate passes from a clean pocket. Well, we have the first 2 parts, and Goff is the answer for the 3rd part....but, we may have to wait 8-17 games for that (2017).

Kerry Collins was NEVER a smart QB, but he was big, durable and sometimes was pretty damn accurate when he wasn't mentally flustered. Case doesn't have the arm, or the WRs we will have eventually, but he has enough to get us some 17-13 and 19-17 and 23-20 victories.

Put this years offense into last years games against the Ravens, SF (#2), Green bay, Steelers and the Vikings and those 5 LOSSES could become 3-4 wins. That puts us at 10-11 wins. SOUNDS crazy right, but that is how Fisher rolled for 15 years in this league, and he ain't stoppin'. This is 1970s ball.

If each of Cooper, Higbee and Spruce make 5-8 key catches this year for first downs then those drives will be converted into FGs or TDs. Last year we didn't have that (duh). They are ballers who are much beter thinkers than Britt/Quick. When you have an O line like we do you wear people down. That is how Dickerson and the Rams went to the playoffs form 1983 to 1986. It worked then, and it will work now.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm confident that this year's O will be better than last year's and not just because it couldn't get much worse.

The improved O line will be the single biggest reason for that in my view.

However, given how bad things have been for so long, you can't really blame people for thinking we're going to be awful again this season. This offence (beyond Gurley) needs to start earning some respect.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
However, given how bad things have been for so long, you can't really blame people for thinking we're going to be awful again this season. This offence (beyond Gurley) needs to start earning some respect.

Great Post here, I am also more confident in the offensive coaching staff as well, Rob Boras, Mike Groh, Skip Peete & John Lilly I feel are upgrades over last season with Boras now running the offense from day one, but getting assistance from Groh in the passing game. RB coach Peete already has a nice stable of backs and TE Coach John Lilly has coached all offensive positions including Coordinator at the collegiate level.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think some people are concerned about the defense. We have some changes there. But I do believe the changes at MLB and LDE make us better. I was impressed with Ogletree in the preseason. He seems to have taken the responsibility to heart. He takes it personal if the defense is scored on. I am concerned about the depth in certain areas. We seem green and thin at LB. And maybe a tad undersized.

But its also possible this defense will be improved with the added speed. I was surprised by the Ayers and Roberson cuts. But I never really saw anything in Ayers that made me think he could make a difference.

I have a feeling the defense will be just fine. I'm more concerned about the offense. We're relying on a quarterback that rarely throws for 200 yards and more than a TD. Our receivers are not the route running, go get the ball type of receivers. And their hands are inconsistent.

All in all, I think our best hope is that the young guys we have will improve with more experience. The line sure looked like it could open holes during preseason games. The backs were running well. If we can get just enough in the pass game, we could win with what we have.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm confident that this year's O will be better than last year's and not just because it couldn't get much worse.

Yes the Offensive Line......Get this grease up & running smooth the rest of the offensive unit components will follow in upping their game. Its always been whats up front that counts in my NFL! I am very well pleased with what the Ram Org. has assembled here in this 2016 OL. However,wWe did take a few blows in pre season in this unit though....

The loss of our 2016 top #6 Ram OL'er who was by far the best starting OLG of the five OLG's that played in that post in 2015 ....Garrett Reynolds to the IR will be missed. The loss of our 2015 top swing OT Darrell Williams to the IR for at this point in time UNknown injury has caused concern & some to post that we will be looking for a WWC to take his spot on the roster. I not in the train of thought.

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
Yes the Offensive Line......Get this grease up & running smooth the rest of the offensive unit components will follow in upping their game. Its always been whats up front that counts in my NFL! I am very well pleased with what the Ram Org. has assembled here in this 2016 OL. However,wWe did take a few blows in pre season in this unit though....

The loss of our 2016 top #6 Ram OL'er who was by far the best starting OLG of the five OLG's that played in that post in 2015 ....Garrett Reynolds to the IR will be missed. The loss of our 2015 top swing OT Darrell Williams to the IR for at this point in time UNknown injury has caused concern & some to post that we will be looking for a WWC to take his spot on the roster. I not in the train of thought.

Completely agree on Reynolds. He was really good last season. A real steadying factor when others around him were going down injured.

Athos

Legend
I don't see how a full season of CK will mean much difference in elevating the Rams much higher out of bottom barrel sludge that was dead last in virtually every passing statistic, regardless of if you belief Groh is some O-whisperer Fisher will actually listen to when push comes to shove.

The only real difference, with CK as a starter, that I see in this offense is health of the O-Line and a full, 100% year from Todd and a deep RB corp that can keep him fresh for the 4th quarter. But that doesn't mean much if the Rams ever get down in a game and are forced to pass. Which CAN happen more than you think given the state of the secondary from what I've seen.

The WRs are virtually the 'same.' Britt and Austin who still hasn't captured any WR playmaking ability to harp on. Jared, 3rd down Drop, Cook is gone, but in his place you have rookies that were dropping balls left and right in PS. And camp.

I can't really point to one WR, even Britt, and say, yea. THAT guy will get you a clutch reception when you need it most.

The Rams have changed philosophies and "O-Brains" how many times under Fisher? What's been the one constant, ultimately? Fisher.

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
I don't see how a full season of CK will mean much difference in elevating the Rams much higher out of bottom barrel sludge that was dead last in virtually every passing statistic, regardless of if you belief Groh is some O-whisperer Fisher will actually listen to when push comes to shove.

The only real difference, with CK as a starter, that I see in this offense is health of the O-Line and a full, 100% year from Todd and a deep RB corp that can keep him fresh for the 4th quarter. But that doesn't mean much if the Rams ever get down in a game and are forced to pass. Which CAN happen more than you think given the state of the secondary from what I've seen.

The WRs are virtually the 'same.' Britt and Austin who still hasn't captured any WR playmaking ability to harp on. Jared, 3rd down Drop, Cook is gone, but in his place you have rookies that were dropping balls left and right in PS. And camp.

I can't really point to one WR, even Britt, and say, yea. THAT guy will get you a clutch reception when you need it most.

The Rams have changed philosophies and "O-Brains" how many times under Fisher? What's been the one constant, ultimately? Fisher.

All completely valid points too.

However my hope is that the improved o line should allow Gurley to pick up more consistent gains rather than the 2 yards, 0 yards, 30 yards, 2 yards kind of pattern we saw last year. That should make the running game even more of a threat so when combined with improved pass pro, the passing game should benefit.

It's not going to be greatest show on turf mark 2 but it doesn't need to be for this offense to start getting some love.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Completely agree on Reynolds. He was really good last season. A real steadying factor when others around him were going down injured.
I have heard through some inside sources that his veteran leadership & team first mindset help out more than many will ever know. While he may be limited in high-end OL physical talent the unseen is his best skill. Garrett replaced two very good offensive OL'ers last season Havenstein (ORT) & Saffold (OLG) mixed in with ORG action, in his 11 starts & 4 other games where he finished as the starter so he played a very vital role.

David Arkin would appear to fill his roster spot as the jack of all OL trades...doubtful Arkin can take Garrett's place. It has been posted many times here @ ROD that Saffold would be the best #6 OL in 2016 but most members have him starting @ OLG post thus pushing Cody Wichmann to the bench. But I still maintain that with the loss of our top reserve swing OT (DW) & the loss of our top swing OG( GR) Boudreau may need to rethink the Saffold role here early in 2016 season.

With a Saffold as your game day #6 OL'er & Rhaney you can dress only 7 OL'ers if you start Saffold @ OG you will be forced to go with 8 dressed game day. Something to think on a bit. One thing we do know it OL'ers are often injured & Saffold may be the best versatile OL'er in the NFL when healthy. So Saffold will not be out of the OL line up for any length of time. Saffold will get his blows in.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Having new key offensive weapons is actually partly what HAS changed in 2016. Maybe not game one. But the Rams added key personnel.

Goff, Cooper, Higbee and Spruce, ALL have that IT factor. 3rd down is key, for me. We were pathetic last year. These guys, like that poster from another board intimated, will move chains. We will see.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Must agree, although I still have some reservations about Arkin, Murphy & Rhaney, ... that's more on me not seeing enough of them. I'll also feel better once Havenstein is completely back in true form.
Whether the overall offensive improvement is vast or somewhat stunted, we definitely look better on paper at this moment. The general health of our starting OL coupled with a years worth of development for the young guys, along with the gains made by GRob & Barnes towards the end of last season, ... 2016 > 2015.
I'd add that Kendricks 2016 > Cook 2015 and Keenum > Foles. Depth at RB appears ridiculously good with the emergence of Malcolm Brown, and what more need be said about Gurley & Cunningham. The rookie receivers will tip the balance one way or the other depending on their ability to perform, I don't wish to overestimate their value, although they will definitely get plenty of opportunities to make a difference. Higbee, Cooper & Spruce can potentially shake this team to its foundation, for the good or ...
Britt is playing his contract year and Quick is playing for a job, Austin hopefully bears the fruit management predicted when given his very lucrative extension. For me, it all comes down to Keenum, the receivers, and 3'rd down production. If we don't succeed early, we are apt to see Goff arriving too late to save the season, if we do succeed early, we may be going to the play-offs. jmo.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
As others have noted - the difference could be the O Line. Last year we started 2 rookies, a LT who was still playing like a rookie - and moved guys all over the place. We had no continuity anywhere on the offensive side of the ball. Add to that the poor play of Foles and uninspiring play calling - and you have one of the worst offenses in the league.

But GRob can be special - and we know Gurley can. I don't see the best offense in the league this year - but I do see significant improvement.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Other benefits:

- Benny will more than likely not be returning kicks this year (sucks if Cooper or Thomas can't do as well as him) but he'll be fresher for the #2 and 3rd down role.
- 2nd year of oline running zone-blocking scheme. One hopes they'll be more effective after a year in the system.
- CK has a full training camp under his belt as the starter. (I know, I know, he's got limitations as a QB but at least there's a chance that we can maximize his skill set while he starts since he's got so many snaps in the system).
- Cooper can run end arounds much like Tavon. Another way to keep defenses honest is to be able to run those plays away from Tavon or with another player. It was effective when we'd use Bailey to do it too. Cooper (if he stays healthy) can give us what we lost with Bailey last year.
- WR health. This is assuming they can stay healthy but losing Bailey last year was a big deal. Quick was a non-factor (and will prob continue to be) and we had to pick Welker off the scrap heap to field 3 receiver sets.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just a note on our pass catcher last year to reveal how bad they were and how they may have contributed to our abysmal offense:

Jared Cook: Couldn't catch. GB called about him during the season but we were so low on pass catchers (see Bailey) that we had to keep him.
Britt: He's okay. A fine number 2. Can provide production in spurts with good QB play.
Tavon: Barely offered anything beyond the line of scrimmage. This has to change or he's just not worth starting on the outside. Has not shown ability to be effective from slot.
Bailey: We all know what happened here. Lost him at the end of November and for a quarter of the season. EDIT: Wait, was he also serving a 4-game suspension last year too?? I think I forgot that, we basically had him for only half a season!
Marquez: Wonderful ST player but limited in slot role for us. Just wasn't offering much on offense. Only seemed capable of making plays against zone.
Quick: Dead weight. Might as well not have been on team last year. Non-contributor. No ability to be effective from slot.

Interestingly, once Bailey was gone, we really didn't have anyone who could really take over for him in the slot. It's why we went and got Welker. Not having a slot receiver pretty much kills an offense.

At least this year we'll have Spruce and Cooper who will both be able to operate from the slot.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the O will be better. To what degree?
For my money the best O lineman last year was Barnes. Havenstein got a lot of press (rightfully so) for not giving up a sack, but, there were plenty of times he was not great. Gave up pressures and was beaten in the running game. Losing Reynolds sucks. The key to the line is Grob and Havenstein to me. If they both improve (Grob to being a good LT and Havenstein eliminating some rookie lapses) then the T's and C should be solid. G there are a lot more options. Saffold moving to G once Havenstein is ready is self evident I think. There are enough options at G that is Brown regresses back to his garbage play from last year there are other guys who can plug in.
Keenum should be able to be efficient....in other words not make a lot of mistakes/turnovers that takes the team out of games. No idea how much any of the rookie receivers are ready to contribute.
Austin almost scored at the rate of 1 TD per 10 touches (not counting punt returns). He simply has to get the ball more. How he is used is another key. I want to see him used in a way that applies pressure to the D. Not a bubble screen or a naked screen or routes where h is catching the ball standing still. I would love to see him run a long crossing route....a Martz staple....where he is starting on the outside getting his depth in the route and then tearing across the middle....either like a cross or with a little angle....make the D have to cover him for 3 + full seconds. This of course takes. Line thT can pass block an a QB who will hang in the pocket as well.
Being able to maintain a balance in play calling is key. To not be predictable but still feed Gurley enough.
Starting week 1, ESP against a Chip O, picking up some first downs and maintaining possession will take the pressure off of the D. If this teaM can do that and avoid giving free points away with turnovers they could win plenty of games.
To me it is about the OC, play calling, approach, injuries and then personel.

TexasRam

Legend
In all honesty I hope our offense is better this year. I think the subtraction of Cook dropping 3rd down passes will help.

Fishers run first mentality will always have this offense towards the back of the NFL. The reason is predictability which is motivated by fear.

The other reason is lack of WR's. We just simply do not have a WR that can run great routes, get open and hang onto the ball. Unless one of the Rookies surprises.

Defensively we are a little worse this year in the secondary. It could get ugly out there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We have the Power O line and Gurley, but we need guys to 'ball"---like Spruce. Cooper, Spruce, Higbee are ballers. I don't think they will contribute so much the first 4-5 games, but by midseason they will make plays.
To expect much from rookie receivers is asking a bit much....even by mid-season....if just ONE of them is productive I'd be happy....since all three have been injured in pre-season...my hopes are more that they develop and grow...and the big production will be in 2017....

I was impressed with Ogletree in the preseason. He seems to have taken the responsibility to heart. He takes it personal if the defense is scored on.
Ogletree is a beast...I don't think I've ever seen our LB yell at Brockers, Donald, or anyone on the defense...about time, it has been needed...

was surprised by the Ayers and Roberson cuts. But I never really saw anything in Ayers that made me think he could make a difference.
Not Roberson...look at that Denver game...almost everyone that made a terrible play in that game was released. Roberson sealed his fate when not only did he give up a deep pass to DT, but his piss poor tackling effort on that play...weakly throwing his shoulder as DT was streaking down the sideline...Piss poor effort...7-9 bullshit...
Ayers was coasting in several games...He was playing like Tru Johnson...who was also coasting IMO...the angles he was attacking running plays...He didn't wanna hit...until the last game vs Minnesota...I think he figured out he was playing for a reason...but it was too late...look at the Minnesota game again...there was a play when he was cut blocked early in the 1st quarter...Then he started playing...
Ayers one game, the Seahawk game last year, he really looked like he was getting it...He can play...but the reason most of these guys fail is motivation....some can keep it for 10+ years...Most lose it after 2 or 3...

As far as the offense, many have stated the offensive line has improved...I'll add, many are more familiar in the system, the Boras system...so it will improve...the receivers are continuing to work...Many still don't believe, but Kenny Britt is a monster...If Tavon is used correctly, the offense will be much better with just those 2 guys upping their game...Kendricks has rightly assumed his role as the go-to TE in the offense...and like the others, is much improved...those are 3 players who have been under-utilized for 3-4 years...It will be interesting to see players like Higbee, Thomas, Cooper, SPRUCE, and yes, Brian fucking Quick, battle for touches and the fear of going to the bench (or even cut). What will these guys look like when they get their chances...
Seam passes...until I see Keenum hit the seams, and the digs/crossers consistently, we won't know how far we've come...Even with improved play from the offensive line...

My one hope is, we don't run Gurley into the ground without developing a deep passing game to relieve some pressure...

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure just what happened when he was rolled up on or how severe it is. Broken ? high ankle sprain? any member know? I would sure hope that he would be an ideal candidate to designate to bring him back @ some point in the mid season .

As far as the defense ....the front 6 starters should be dominating! The back 5 ?:cautious:.....I have some concerns.
#1-EJ Gaines ongoing inability to shake off injuries...
#2-Lamarcus Joyner fully demonstrating he is a big liability when forced into outside corner duties....
#3-Coty Sensabaugh demonstrating he is a high completion machine on the outside....
#4- Downturn in effectiveness & release of top reserve outside corner Marcus Roberson.
#5- Strong Safety CB Bryant's unimpressive pre season & release.....

I would like to think that we have not seen but small flash's of what this defense will likely be against the 9ers. Not sure the 9er OL will make it through next week game without some serious mental breakdowns...after dealing with Quinn- Brockers- Donald- Easley & Longacre. The dynamic duo of super quick fast Lb'ers of Barron & Ogletree will turn some heads. The McDonald/Alexander safety team is sure to give the WR's the heeby geebees soon after the game begins.

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Will the Los Angeles Rams Offense be better in 2016 ?

ArcadeTecmoGameplay.gif

There might be some sliver lining that gets the 2016 LA Rams offense out of the NFL cellar
but the odds are they will again remain a bottom 12 team in Total Points Scored until proven different.

2015 Ranking 29th (Total Points Scored 280)

TEAM... Tot Points.. Avg PPG (2015)
1 Carolina 500= 31.3
2 Arizona 489= 30.6
3 New England 465= 29.1
4 Pittsburgh 423= 26.4
5 Seattle 423= 26.4
6 NY Giants 420 =26.3
7 Cincinnati 419= 26.2
8 New Orleans 408= 25.5
9 Kansas City 405= 25.3
10 Washington 388= 24.3

11 NY Jets 387= 24.2
12 Buffalo 379= 23.7
13 Philadelphia 377= 23.6
14 Jacksonville 376= 23.5
15 Green Bay 368= 23.0
16 Minnesota 365= 22.8
17 Oakland 359= 22.4
18 Detroit 358= 22.4
19 Denver 355= 22.2
20 Tampa Bay 342= 21.4

21 Atlanta 339= 21.2
21 Houston 339= 21.2
23 Chicago 335 =20.9
24 Indianapolis 333= 20.8
25 Baltimore 328= 20.5
26 San Diego 320= 20.0
27 Miami 310= 19.4
28 Tennessee 299= 18.7
29 Los Angeles 280= 17.5
30 Cleveland 278= 17.4
31 Dallas 275= 17.2
32 San Francisco 238= 14.9

1. In December, 2015 The Rams promoted Rob Boras to be their OC. Boras has had an entire off-season to tinker with the offense to better fit the personnel for attacking those 8-9 man Defensive Gurley fronts his offense is going to see on a weekly basis. The Problem is the QB talent level & Rams WR's/TE's have their history for various reasons which is why the results might be more of the same or only slight improvements.

2. Newly hired Passing coordinator & WR's coach Mike Groh was brought in to help the WR's but we have no indication that his hiring will make a difference until the regular season starts. The preseason drops looked more of the same so his arrival hasn't shown any change as of yet.

3. The younger players on the O-LINE are a year older and this UNIT as a whole could be much better than last season, which could significantly help in all aspects of the offense except for dropped passes.

4. It's possible Keenum will have one of those overachieving years that backup quarterbacks sometimes rarely have when they're promoted to be the starting QB.

5. If the TE's and pass catchers this year can get open more often and catch the ball consistently, the 3rd down crap % that was on display in 2015 should be better.. we all know that's a big IF though but back to back years being last seems unlikely.

The passing offense on paper looks more of the same ( Keenum-Gurley-Benny-Britt-Tavon-Quick-Marquez-Hendricks-are the core starting players, with the new additions of a few rookies that could contribute and change the dynamics of the passing game). The running game is expected to be just as good if not better than 2015.

Even though some of us are expecting improvement, it would appear a ranking in Total Points Scored has an approximate Cap for improvement to about a ranking of 20th.

Anything better than 20th in PPG would be a big jump and a pleasant surprise. If the Rams offensive 3rd down % efficiency is again ranked in the bottom 5 in 2016, Logic would be to expect another 6-7 or 8 total wins.

BOTTOM 10 (2015 3rd Down % Efficiency)
23 Detroit 36.95%
24 Pittsburgh 36.24%
25 Jacksonville 35.12%
26 Dallas 34.55%
27 Green Bay 34.19%
28 Denver 32.96%
29 Tennessee 31.84%
30 Miami 30.73%
31 San Francisco 30.37%
32 Los Angeles
25.87%

I'm expecting improvement but my level of expectations are in check. Anyone expecting this offense to make major jumps in PPG and 3rd down % knows that several factors have to fall in the Rams favor or there will be only minor improvements in these areas.

sport-graphics-american-football-159499.gif
________
football19.gif

1662-20140704-NoOffense-400x400.jpg

Last edited: