2015 Draft Rankings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Feel free to post your position rankings for any position in here if you want critiques or opinions on it.

I finally have had a chance to watch many of the WRs in this class and here's my initial top 10 on the WRs along with where I'd draft them:
Tier 1 - Top 10
1a. Amari Cooper WR Alabama
1b. Kevin White WR West Virginia
3. DeVante Parker WR Louisville

Tier 2 - Top 25
4. Dorial Green-Beckham WR Missouri

Tier 3 - Pick 25 to Pick 40
5. Rashad Greene WR Florida State
6. Devin Smith WR Ohio State

Tier 4 - Pick 40 to Pick 60
7. Phillip Dorsett WR Miami
8. DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

Tier 5 - Pick 60 to Pick 80
9. Nelson Agholor WR USC
10. Kenny Bell WR Nebraska

As always, I tend to go my own way with WRs(compared to the consensus). Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. A few notes:
  • I am aware that DeAndre Smelter tore his ACL. That would be something for my medical team to look into...as well as the shoulder injury that ended his baseball career. That all said, if he were healthy, I would have ranked him in the same tier as Dorial Green-Beckham.
  • I am aware that DGB has character issues...that would be also something I'd have people check into.
  • I did not rank Devin Funchess as a WR because I think he's better off as a flex TE in the NFL. Don't think he has the technical polish at this stage to play outside and I'm not sold he has the separation skills even when he polishes his game more to become a great player out there. I think he's a bigger match-up problem as a flex TE vs. LBs and safeties.
  • I did not rank Sammie Coates because he failed my "hands test". That doesn't mean I think the kid can't be effective in the NFL...it only means that I am not going to take a risk on him fixing his hands. I consider a WR's hands to be the most important part of his skill-set.
  • I did not rank Jaelen Strong because I think he lacks the ability to separate vs. man coverage in the NFL and he's not a physical enough player or a dominant enough WR in contested catch situations to make up for it. He's a linear athlete that can't bend enough to explode out of his breaks. College CBs stick to him like glue when he tries to make hard cuts against man coverage.
As always, feel free to critique it or ask questions if you want further elaboration about anything. Or post your own rankings. :)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
How do you feel about Tyler Lockett? He's not a huge guy but his route running and explosiveness really impressed me the couple of times I watched him.

thehammer

Rookie
Bell will likely go in the 5th/6th rd and Smelter undrafted...you definately run outside the herd...

agree about the lacks seperation part on Strong but I put him in with the Boldin, Landry and Michael Irvin type of wr who use their body to get open..always covered but also always open ...Mayle is similar

think Rashad Greene could be special..really understands how to get open

Coates does havs serious hand issues and with tracking the ball...love his ego..sometimes that type of person won't allow themselves to fail

love Hardy and Lockett as slot wr's..

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
I'll have to compare them further, but I almost want to start putting Parker into the 1C category.

Too high for Smelter imo, but I'm eh after that Stephen Hill failure.

What do you think of Tony Lippett? Only seen a few MSU games, so I'll have to dig deeper...but for a kid who played his freshman year at CB, he's improved in every statistical category since and has great size. Not speed, but some good size.

thehammer

Rookie
I'll have to compare them further, but I almost want to start putting Parker into the 1C category.

What do you think of Tony Lippett? Only seen a few MSU games, so I'll have to dig deeper...but for a kid who played his freshman year at CB, he's improved in every statistical category since and has great size. Not speed, but some good size.

similar to Dres Anderson..Flippers kid...long skinny..not a fan of that body type they often struggle to get off press. Charles Davis said he likes at cb...looked real good at cb late in the season..and I also think that's his best pro position

Athos

Legend
similar to Dres Anderson..Flippers kid...long skinny..not a fan of that body type they often struggle to get off press. Charles Davis said he likes at cb...looked real good at cb late in the season..and I also think that's his best pro position

You have any interest in him to play CB to get ourselves one of the Hag-type CBs? (Talking purely size).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bell will likely go in the 5th/6th rd and Smelter undrafted...you definately run outside the herd...

That I do. On Bell, he's just a really good football player. One of the best blocking WRs I've ever seen...no joke, he's that good of a blocker that it's something that stands out to you. He doesn't just get between his man and the runner, he controls his man and sustains his block often for the entire play.

As a WR, he is a really twitchy athlete with great run after catch skills and enough vertical speed to challenge the defense. Hands can be inconsistent especially when he doesn't get his head around and locate the ball on time but he shows the ability to snatch the ball away from his frame and make tough catches.

Bell isn't a potentially elite player but he's a blue collar type #2 WR. He'll offer you elite blocking, a solid secondary outlet that can make plays after the catch, and a really good overall football player(type of guy that will contribute all over the place on special teams too).

Smelter, on the other hand, is a potentially elite WR. I'd have him rated as a first rounder if not for his torn ACL. He spent the first 3 years of his career playing baseball before a shoulder injury ended his career. Switched over to football last year and then had a strong year this year. What I love about him is that he's built like a tank(6'3" 225+) and plays like it. He's extremely physical and already understands how to create separation with his size and strength. He bullies defenders and that carries over well to the NFL.

On top of that, he's EXTREMELY athletic. Very explosive for a guy his size, quicker than you expect, and fast in a straight-line. Has a lot in common with DeMaryius Thomas although Thomas was a more dominant jump ball WR coming out.

Smelter is new to the game but extraordinarily athletically gifted and already shows the type of attitude you covet in a big WR. Plus, just look at his athleticism on display:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqUxk7F6c5A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3CkZVqV10

agree about the lacks seperation part on Strong but I put him in with the Boldin, Landry and Michael Irvin type of wr who use their body to get open..always covered but also always open ...Mayle is similar

The thing that Boldin and Irvin have in common is that they were masters at creating separation with their physicality. Strong doesn't do that.

think Rashad Greene could be special..really understands how to get open

He reminds me of Bruce. Moves the same sort of way, similar body, and wears #80.

Coates does havs serious hand issues and with tracking the ball...love his ego..sometimes that type of person won't allow themselves to fail

love Hardy and Lockett as slot wr's..

Hardy and Josh Harper are two guys I like in the slot. My issue with Lockett in the slot is that he struggled when CBs got physical with him while he was running routes in college and isn't a well built guy. He also doesn't offer a ton of ability to create yardage after the catch. I'm just not sure he'd be well suited to that role. Issue is that on the outside, you have the same issues with him being small and not handling physicality well. Not entirely sure where he fits in the NFL. Love his route running and movement skills, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

JMO but Stephen Hill's failure was something you could see from miles away. Great athlete that couldn't catch the football. I haven't noticed the same sort of issues with Smelter. Plus, he's a MUCH bigger and stronger WR and he uses that size and strength...Hill didn't. He was a pure speed guy.

I like Lippett better at CB. I think he has more upside and value there.

I considered making Parker a 1C but I have some questions about his durability and I think he's too much of a finesse guy for his size...so I rate him very slightly lower than the other two.

thehammer

Rookie
That I do. On Bell, he's just a really good football player. One of the best blocking WRs I've ever seen...no joke, he's that good of a blocker that it's something that stands out to you. He doesn't just get between his man and the runner, he controls his man and sustains his block often for the entire play.

As a WR, he is a really twitchy athlete with great run after catch skills and enough vertical speed to challenge the defense. Hands can be inconsistent especially when he doesn't get his head around and locate the ball on time but he shows the ability to snatch the ball away from his frame and make tough catches.

Bell isn't a potentially elite player but he's a blue collar type #2 WR. He'll offer you elite blocking, a solid secondary outlet that can make plays after the catch, and a really good overall football player(type of guy that will contribute all over the place on special teams too).

Smelter, on the other hand, is a potentially elite WR. I'd have him rated as a first rounder if not for his torn ACL. He spent the first 3 years of his career playing baseball before a shoulder injury ended his career. Switched over to football last year and then had a strong year this year. What I love about him is that he's built like a tank(6'3" 225+) and plays like it. He's extremely physical and already understands how to create separation with his size and strength. He bullies defenders and that carries over well to the NFL.

On top of that, he's EXTREMELY athletic. Very explosive for a guy his size, quicker than you expect, and fast in a straight-line. Has a lot in common with DeMaryius Thomas although Thomas was a more dominant jump ball WR coming out.

Smelter is new to the game but extraordinarily athletically gifted and already shows the type of attitude you covet in a big WR. Plus, just look at his athleticism on display:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqUxk7F6c5A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3CkZVqV10

The thing that Boldin and Irvin have in common is that they were masters at creating separation with their physicality. Strong doesn't do that.

He reminds me of Bruce. Moves the same sort of way, similar body, and wears #80.

Hardy and Josh Harper are two guys I like in the slot. My issue with Lockett in the slot is that he struggled when CBs got physical with him while he was running routes in college and isn't a well built guy. He also doesn't offer a ton of ability to create yardage after the catch. I'm just not sure he'd be well suited to that role. Issue is that on the outside, you have the same issues with him being small and not handling physicality well. Not entirely sure where he fits in the NFL. Love his route running and movement skills, though.

we have to agree to disagree on Strong...all in on your comments on Bell being a solid lunch pail, winner type of wr(major upgrade over Givens) and Smelter possibly being special..love to throw a 7rd rd pick on him...my favorite blue collar wr is Rannel Hall....fearless over the middle and fights for every 50-50 ball

do like that fact Hardy is strong enough to run through press coverage..good thing about Lockett is there are very few big press nickle cb's..and he as elite quickness and is very very bright and an excellent rt runner. Lot of good slot guys this year

Athos

Legend
Devin Smith had some big moments for OSU, but I really don't know much about him outside of those last few OSU games.

Anyone got a comparison?

How big of an upgrade would he be over Givens? (I really think, if we aren't going to use Tavon for it) we need a new 9-route, speed burner WR.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Devin Smith had some big moments for OSU, but I really don't know much about him outside of those last few OSU games.

Anyone got a comparison?

How big of an upgrade would he be over Givens? (I really think, if we aren't going to use Tavon for it) we need a new 9-route, speed burner WR.

Mike Wallace would be my comparison for him.

Athos

Legend

Alright, I can see what you mean now. Dude looked to be channeling some Demaryius Thomas on those two plays.

Mike Wallace would be my comparison for him.

FB attributes and not attitude I should hope. :ROFLMAO:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright, I can see what you mean now. Dude looked to be channeling some Demaryius Thomas on those two plays.

FB attributes and not attitude I should hope. :ROFLMAO:

Oh yea. Smelter is a tank. It sucks he got injured but we might be able to steal him because of it.

On Smith, some of both. I saw some outbursts on the field that kind of bothered me. Might have some of Wallace's attitude issues. But I can't say for sure.

ausmurp

Starter
Oh yea. Smelter is a tank. It sucks he got injured but we might be able to steal him because of it.

On Smith, some of both. I saw some outbursts on the field that kind of bothered me. Might have some of Wallace's attitude issues. But I can't say for sure.

Smith really was stagnant before 2014. I guess I'm the resident Ohio State expert as that is my team and alum... He's hard to eval, he had drop issues and wasn't using his size well before 2014. But then we had Braxton throwing to him and he was so so so bad as you can see now that Barrett and Jones are playing and looking great. Smith may be a sleeper but I wouldn't take him in the first 2 rds. And some other team will.

ausmurp

Starter
Smith is def bigger than Wallace but I can see the comparison. I think in 2014 he finally learned how to use his size to go up and get the ball which he showcased in primetime. I'm still shy on him though based on what he showed before last yr..