2015 Cap numbers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jdhommert

Rookie
While being bored and waiting for the season...reading the Bradford cap thread got me thinking. I wondered what our cap will look like next year. This is basically a pointless thread, but I wanted to write it all down so I could do the math and figured I'd just make a thread out of it to facilitate discussion.

Using: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/yearly/

I'll post up what we will save from '14 cap year to the '15 cap year as to look in how much more cap room we could have next year vs this year

Cap hit decreases:
Chris Long -3.4
JL55 -6.4
Finnegan -3m ( I think)
That's 12.8

Hill,Joseph, Carrington, Pettis, Kendricks UFA possibly leaving -9m

Possible cuts
Bradford -14m
Jake Long -8m
Wells -3.2m
Langford -5m
-30 possible in cuts

That's up to ~ -50m

Raises
Saffold +4m
Quinn +4m
Everyone else ~+8.25m
Didn't include guys above who might be cut, doesn't include Hekker, Mcleod, Harkey, Davis, Barnes who are RFAs

Total of 50m above in decreases and about 17 in raises. Some think the cap will go up another 7m or so. Obviously you cant just assume we have like 30m of cap room lmao... We will probably resign some guys, that won't be the exact list of cuts etc etc. Obviously losing guys you'll have to fill roster spots and such. Maybe resign guys like Hill (or Bradford) to help/backup a drafted QB, maybe Britt if he balls out and Barksdale has to be resigned I think. Draft picks will take 7-8m.

So perhaps we'll have the money to sign a decent FA. Glancing at the '15 FA list I dont see any big names that jump out at me. I know we still have to sign Quinn for '16 and maybe this is a good opportunity to do so. We have his option exercises for '15, but maybe we can buy it out like the MLB does for arbitration guys, and get a cheaper per year rate....if you can do that in the NFL

I have no idea what the point of all this was :ROFLMAO:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
OMG James Lau at a reduced price of 6.4 mill? :mad:

He's the most over rated and over paid LB in the NFL...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thanks for posting that, good to know they have some significant money freeing up, even if it's not exact. It's too bad there won't be any real FA QB options this offseason, so I'm guessing they go after another OL? Too soon to say, granted, but it's interesting.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Quinn gets extended before the 2015 season starts - at just above JJ Watt numbers.

Sam - hopefully - restructures and gives us cap relief.

Jake Long needs to play well this year in order to be back.

Barksdale is going to get a nice raise and an extension.

If Britt comes back, it will be for a real contract - especially if he 'proved it'.

Quick, Tru, and Jenkins have extensions coming their way next year as well.

If the Rams keep their young core in tact, that new cap space will disappear quickly.