2014 Team Needs: St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
2014 Team Needs: St. Louis Rams
Michael Renner | March 3, 2014
ProFootballFocus

The Rams are in a tight spot up against the cap in 2014 with loads of large cap hits coming due. Sam Bradford, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, andCortland Finnegan are all set to have cap hits in the top 10 at their positions and none were even close to top 10 players last season. As it currently stands the Rams have $7.3m in cap space with the salary cap at $133m. After back to back seven win seasons, the Rams need a lot more help to keep up with the vaunted NFC West. With their cap situation though, it’s likely going to have to happen through internal development and the draft.

Potential Cap Casualties

All cap savings are courtesy of overthecap.com

- The Rams are unfortunately all but locked in to the $14.9m and $10.4m cap hits of Chris Long and James Laurinaitis respectively. Both have dead money that is almost equal to their cap hits for the 2014 season. This means that cutting either won’t give the Rams any more cap room.

- One has to believe that Cortland Finnegan is on the chopping block. He’s been a disaster in his two seasons with St. Louis and is owed $27m over the next three seasons. Releasing the corner would save the Rams $4m this year.

- The Rams will have to think long and hard about what to do with Scott Wells. The center has been injury riddled in his two seasons with the St. Louis and is 33 years old. Parting ways with Wells could save the team $4.5m.

The Rams really don’t have too many glaringly bad contracts that can be easily moved. Restructures are always possible for guys like Long, Laurinaitis, and Bradford, but none really have the incentive to restructure at this point. Because of this it is unlikely that St. Louis can create enough cap space to be a player with any major free agents.

Team Needs

Guard/Center

With Chris Williams, Rodger Saffold, and Shelley Smith all set to become free agents, and with Scott Wells potentially on the chopping block, the Rams have a glaring need on the interior. Last season Williams led all Rams linemen with 923 snaps despite being one of the worst graded guards in the NFL (-21.8). The two midseason replacements at guard, Saffold and Smith, were far more productive. After three years at tackle, Saffold got his first taste of the interior and he looked like a natural. In six starts at guard he graded at +9.4 overall. Smith may have played the fewest snaps, but he was unbelievable in the run game. In 371 snaps he racked up a +12.3 run blocking grade.

Free Agent Fix: The most logical option here is to resign either Saffold or Smith. Saffold could be difficult to resign depending on his positional preference. The former left tackle could be looking for an opportunity to get back to the outside and he won’t find that in St. Louis. Smith looks entirely more plausible as his 731 career snaps will keep his price down. Any direction they choose to go should be an upgrade over Chris Williams though.

Wide Receiver

The Rams have taken two receivers in each of the last three drafts. Tavon Austin,Stedman Bailey, and Chris Givens have shown some promise, but Brian Quick,Austin Pettis, and the short tenured Greg Salas have done little on the field in Rams uniforms. St. Louis hasn’t had a receiver gain over 800 yards since Torry Holt had 1,189 back in 2007. Bradford has never had a receiver gain 700 yards in a season since he took over as quarterback in 2010. They are in desperate need of a consistent, go-to type receiver that will move the chains when called upon. No one on the roster has fit that bill to date.

Free Agent Fix: The free agent market for receivers this offseason is fairly slim. There aren’t any true upper echelon guys hitting the market and the guys that could actually improve St. Louis will likely be out of their price range. The two names I’d take a closer look at are Sidney Rice and Kenny Britt. Rice was plagued by injuries in Seattle and Britt had his fair share of issues in Tennessee, but both are supremely talented and could come cheaply. The most viable option for the Rams though is likely the draft again. They have two picks in the top 13 and this year’s receiver class is loaded with talent.

Cornerback

When looking at the Rams roster there aren’t too many blatantly obvious holes. Even positions where they were weak last season, like safety and outside linebacker, they are relying on young guys to take steps forwards. That is why I think cornerback is the next position where the Rams should turn to free agency for help at. Starting corners Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson look to be fairly entrenched as starters after grading at -0.9 and -3.0 respectively last season, but they don’t have any solid option for the slot position. Cortland Finnegan manned that position the previous two seasons, but he is a prime candidate to be released. Even if he’s not the Rams could use an upgrade from Finnegan’s -19.7 grade in 367 snaps.

Free Agent Fix: Since they’ll likely be looking for a bargain-level replacement to the slot position, Captain Munnerlyn will likely be a little too pricey. At this price range, Javier Arenas will be the best option. In Arenas’ three seasons as a slot corner in Kansas City he had a positive coverage grade every season. After just 107 snaps a season ago in Arizona, he’ll likely be had for near the veteran minimum.

Follow Mike on Twitter: @PFF_MikeRenner

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Maybe I'll come back to it, but it's hard to take an article seriously when they start off by talking about cutting JL, and C. Long.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
seriously....im more than happy to pay Chris Long don't feel stuck at all...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Maybe I'll come back to it, but it's hard to take an article seriously when they start off by talking about cutting JL, and C. Long.
Just so you know he only ridiculed them for having large cap hits without grading out to match the money, said cutting them makes no sense.

The cut he misses is Dahl

Cut Dahl, Wells and Finnegan don't over pay Saffold

FA Safety TJ Ward Every one else in the draft

RamzFanz

Damnit
Alterraun Verner will be a free agent. Fisher drafted him at the Titans.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Why does everyone get so defensive when anyone mentions long or Sam's cap hit? The author seemed like he was just giving options then went on to say cutting them made no sense for the team.

I didn't read into any such bias in the article...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
- One has to believe that Cortland Finnegan is on the chopping block. He’s been a disaster in his two seasons with St. Louis and is owed $27m over the next three seasons. Releasing the corner would save the Rams $4m this year.

Wait, Finnegan was a disaster in the 2012-13 season? Did I miss something?

Alan

Legend
That's what struck me too blackbart. I'll be astonished if we still have Dahl at the start of the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
First off we all know we have no desires to cut JL or CL sillyness. This article seems to be discussing UFA's....something that has not worked out well for us period.

Article brings up center Chris Wells...well he was a high UFA $$$ fix that been a mess from the very beginning. Then they bring up another FA fix now UFA Chris Williams the best things that can be said about CW is he has remained healthy for the Rams for two seasons & he is a good guy. Now for most teams that statement means nothing but if your part of the cursed OL of the Rams it may be one of the most important strengths. Never-mind CW can't block a padded turnstile held upright by a stick.

Then the article brings up another 2013 free agent fix now a UFA OG Shelley Smith "Smith may have played the fewest snaps, but he was unbelievable in the run game." Now that will get your goat. This same Shelley Smith who was our starting OLG in 2013 training camp & was beat out by another FA fix named Chris Williams? Or is this the great Shelley Smith who finish the game for another FA fix the feeble injured Harvey Dahl and starting the following week @ ORG & looked like the reincarnation of another free agent fix of years gone by named Adam Goldberg. Shelley Smith was so great @ the run game that Boudreau panic'd and told an injury riddled back up swing OT AKA "Injury waiting to happen" who had never played OG before to replace the great playing Shelley Smith???? Then in the final Seattle game of the year we all were hanging out in the ROD chat room watching Shelley Smith play ORG & marveling how a 310 pound OL could be launched so high so far backwards @ the snap of the ball. Help me out here boys are my eyes that bad that I just can't see Shelley Smiths unbelievable in the run game performance??

I could go on into the other units but by now it would appear to me the real problems with this team now were the wonderful FREE AGENT FIXES of past years! You would think by now that you might want to avoid such things if possible...the FA fixes look worse than the others fixes IMO.

Now on to "The Natural "@ OG Saffold....another article that say Zero on Saffold IN-ability to remain on the field at any time period for the last three seasons. What the Rams get 6 straight games in a role from a starting OL and that's reason to make Saffold a FA fix for this OL & resign him?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
First off we all know we have no desires to cut JL or CL sillyness. This article seems to be discussing UFA's....something that has not worked out well for us period.

Article brings up center Chris Wells...well he was a high UFA $$$ fix that been a mess from the very beginning. Then they bring up another FA fix now UFA Chris Williams the best things that can be said about CW is he has remained healthy for the Rams for two seasons & he is a good guy. Now for most teams that statement means nothing but if your part of the cursed OL of the Rams it may be one of the most important strengths. Never-mind CW can't block a padded turnstile held upright by a stick.

Then the article brings up another 2013 free agent fix now a UFA OG Shelley Smith "Smith may have played the fewest snaps, but he was unbelievable in the run game." Now that will get your goat. This same Shelley Smith who was our starting OLG in 2013 training camp & was beat out by another FA fix named Chris Williams? Or is this the great Shelley Smith who finish the game for another FA fix the feeble injured Harvey Dahl and starting the following week @ ORG & looked like the reincarnation of another free agent fix of years gone by named Adam Goldberg. Shelley Smith was so great @ the run game that Boudreau panic'd and told an injury riddled back up swing OT AKA "Injury waiting to happen" who had never played OG before to replace the great playing Shelley Smith???? Then in the final Seattle game of the year we all were hanging out in the ROD chat room watching Shelley Smith play ORG & marveling how a 310 pound OL could be launched so high so far backwards @ the snap of the ball. Help me out here boys are my eyes that bad that I just can't see Shelley Smiths unbelievable in the run game performance??

I could go on into the other units but by now it would appear to me the real problems with this team now were the wonderful FREE AGENT FIXES of past years! You would think by now that you might want to avoid such things if possible...the FA fixes look worse than the others fixes IMO.

Now on to "The Natural "@ OG Saffold....another article that say Zero on Saffold IN-ability to remain on the field at any time period for the last three seasons. What the Rams get 6 straight games in a role from a starting OL and that's reason to make Saffold a FA fix for this OL & resign him?
Preaching to the choir I'm thinking.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It may seem extreme but they could cut Wells Dahl Finnegan and let Saffold, Smith, Williams and even Dunbar walk with replacements through the draft and free agency.

I'm ready to turn the page on our oft injured offensive line through and admittedly a bit impatient to see our defense match that of our rivals.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with his take on Saffold:
What the Rams get 6 straight games in a role from a starting OL and that's reason to make Saffold a FA fix for this OL & resign him?
He won my heart after 3 straight games. That's probably some kind of modern day record for the Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It may seem extreme but they could cut Wells Dahl Finnegan and let Saffold, Smith, Williams and even Dunbar walk with replacements through the draft and free agency.

I'm ready to turn the page on our oft injured offensive line through and admittedly a bit impatient to see our defense match that of our rivals.
Rams really only have two under contacts high $$ OL'er in Wells & Dahl. From all that has been discussed here about the Wells contract is he will be here for TC & pre season right up till the final last roster reductions to the 52 master playing roster. They could then release Wells @ that time to get the needed 4.5 million in 2014 cap savings.

If I could paint a picture of the OL situation that may bring about his release would be that the Rams sign free agent Tim Barnes to a contact in 2014 & Tim Barnes having had a great TC & pre season where he plays to the same level of Wells. Barnes would cost about 4 mil less than Wells saving 4 mil.

The other big issues is at OG. If Rams fail to draft talented enough OG's then Barnes will be needed to fill in in those posts thus making Wells UNexpendable thus leaving the Rams for a possible repeat of the 2012 & 2013 disasters.

Dahl should have already been sent packing there is no reason to keep Dahl period. Dahl blocking has been marginal for years now & with the surgeries & mounting injuries Dahl's 4 million in cap funds are needed elsewhere than having this war horse back in the lineup. Sad to say the 33 yr old Dahl good blocking heydays are gone. If we see Harvey Dahl still on our roster you will know just how bad this OL will be in 2014. When we see Fisher signing UFA's Chris Williams & Shelley Smith then just like the DB situation the OL would gets depressing thinking we will pay & play & depend on players like this would not provide me hope of rising from the bottom of the West..

It irks to no end that Cortland Finnegan is still here just the fact that Fisher is keeping him around tells me again that things are not good in the DB area. Only ex Ram UFA I have big desire to see come back is Jo Lunn Dunbar!

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Alterraun Verner will be a free agent. Fisher drafted him at the Titans.
Verner is the free agent I want to sign. He's only 25 years old. We could cut Finnegan, save 4 M. Verner would give us flexibility in the draft, to go after offensive linemen, safety, and a wide receiver early.