2014 Playoffs - Am I too Optimistic (Unrealistic)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I feel really good about the current Rams team (roster) and their additions to their coaching (Gregg Williams!) staff and I honestly think they have a chance at making the playoffs this coming season. The Rams had an outstanding draft and IF they can stay relatively healthy (Sam Bradford, Rodger Saffold, Jake Long, etc) I think even with their tough schedule they can at least make a run at a Wild Card birth. With their youth and tough Division Competition making the 2014 Playoffs won't be easy but I think it is very possible and I think their future looks great with playoff appearances becoming more the norm for the Rams!

Nothing wrong with optimism, but there are some serious questions about the team:

1. Can Bradford stay healthy?
2. What do we have in Sam? Was the 100+ passer rating when not getting sacked 5 times last season a fluke or is that the Sam we can expect?
3. What do we have at WR? If our group play to the level they did in 2013 then we don't have a chance imo.
4. Can our O line stay healthy? Long / Robinson / Wells (or Jones) / Saffold / Barksdale is beastly, whatever injury replacements we find isn't
5. Was our pass coverage last season really down to the "cover no one" scheme or was it down to the ability of our DBs? repeat 2013's performance we have little chance.
6. Can we please stop with the penalties? I appreciate that the NFL officials are out to get us, but don't make a rod for your own back.

I'm not predicting that all of them come through, but I'm optimistic that they can.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I know some will call you "HOMER" for being so optimistic but I'm right there with you. Any team that makes the playoffs had things go right for them such as a low amount of injuries, young players emerging, coaching making the right calls, veterans playing up to their skill level, etc. I think the pieces are in place. I think the team is ready. I think we improved significantly through draft. I think our FA signings were solid and smart. There's always going to be question marks at certain positions but we have minor ones I think; WR, FS, LB depth maybe. I smell playoffs too!!!!!!!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Why not the Rams?

Every year a few teams surprise and make the playoffs. Last year it was the Chiefs, Panthers and Eagles.

The Rams have as much or more talent than those teams now. Just need to put it all together and get some breaks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Every team has question marks in the salary cap era!

I see no reason to think we can't make a run, even in our tough division. In fact I'd argue, you make the playoffs from the NFC West you are a legit contender.

Unlike the Colts and their lame division.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Why not the Rams? Health is huge. If I recall right, in our Superbowl run, the only guy we lost was Keith Lile for like 6 games, but he was back for the playoffs. They need to burn sage at the dome.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't think the Rams making the Playoffs would be that big of a surprise, really. Everyone is raving about our draft, we have the best pass rushing DL in years, and we have a nasty running game. It would be surprising if we stay healthy, though. That never happens...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I feel really good about the current Rams team (roster) and their additions to their coaching (Gregg Williams!) staff and I honestly think they have a chance at making the playoffs this coming season. The Rams had an outstanding draft and IF they can stay relatively healthy (Sam Bradford, Rodger Saffold, Jake Long, etc) I think even with their tough schedule they can at least make a run at a Wild Card birth. With their youth and tough Division Competition making the 2014 Playoffs won't be easy but I think it is very possible and I think their future looks great with playoff appearances becoming more the norm for the Rams!
Just gotta win outside the division. The Rams, with Bradford, are pretty successful the past couple of years with him, so the next step is to take the pain train on the road.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I feel good too... overly Optimistic? no.... not when every player is basically healthy or on their way. Rams have several units on this team that must play up to their potential for this team to have its first winning season on a decade. I say in this order ...#1-OLers #2-Recievers #3-DB's. IF all three can stay together & play to their potential yes. Butt-monkey here that probability is not likely.

#3-DB's-The addition of Gregg Williams & a new highly talented crop of DB's to compete will fix this unit. I expect this unit to explode and fulfill their potential.:love:(y)

#2-Recievers is highly talented and very very young but has the disorder..... ADD. INCONSTANT in most all things. Drop Virus & tendency to hang real close to their covering DB's ...looks like they need to get out away & separate from their opponent DB bros. This would be my two major gripes. Small injuries to Givens & Austin hurt some but no where close to the issues the OL had. I do believe this unit will hold up their part of what is expected. :D(y)

#1- OL- It has failed to remain free of injury since Fishers arrival. The top three OL'ers are the culprits. Last 2 season Saffold & Wells have been unable to finish major chunks of their seasons games. JL has been discussed completely but all three have proven that they are far passed injury prone. Rams lost 2 starters & a main back up OL'er in UFA.....only one has been replaced. Fisher has gambled here is now depending on raw green third day draft selections & WWC's for replacements. I would expect a healthy veteran UFA to be signed in here real soon. I would not trust this starting unit to remain healthy. I fear the worse here with what we have currently... due to injury issues & lack of talent on the bench.:cautious::sick:(n)

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
When I look at this team and I look at the schedule I see 8-8. But I also see a team with enough talent that can hit double digits in wins if things break our way.

Our division is just so brutal that it's hard to expect playoffs with this young team. But I'll just say that I'm very open to being pleasantly surprised!

A55VA6

Legend
With out division.. it's really tough. Our record could be 11-5 in another division but another 7 win season in our division. We just have to play better and stay healthy this year. It's not getting any easier. I expect playoffs every year, regardless.

Last time I saw this team in the playoffs I was like 13. Now I'm 22 and I need some fuckin Rams playoffs.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I look at this team and I look at the schedule I see 8-8. But I also see a team with enough talent that can hit double digits in wins if things break our way.

Our division is just so brutal that it's hard to expect playoffs with this young team. But I'll just say that I'm very open to being pleasantly surprised!

The good fact is that the other teams (49's, Seahawks, Cardinals) in the Division have the same tough schedule as the Rams do and I don't think the Rams are going to be a pushover (Automatic Win) for any of those teams. The Rams have played them very tough the past few seasons and I am guessing that games against the Rams in the future will only get TOUGHER!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think we're still 1-season away.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Given that all three of the other teams in our division finished with at least 10 wins last season I have to believe 10 wins is the least it will take for us to get into the playoffs in 2014.
For the sake of argument let's say we split in our division. There's 3 wins and 3 losses. that means in order to make the playoffs we'd have to win 7 of the other 10 games.
I'm confident that we can beat the Vikes, Bucs, Chiefs, Raiders, Redskins and Giants. 6 more wins. That leaves us needing 1 win against the Eagles, Cowboys, Broncos or Chargers. We're home against the 'Boys and Broncos and have to travel to Philly and San Diego.
I think it is definitely within our capability to win 10 games as long as we remain relatively healthy and don't shoot ourselves in the foot. We don't need to be an offensive juggernaut, we just need to score more than the other team. I think we have the pieces to do it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Given that all three of the other teams in our division finished with at least 10 wins last season I have to believe 10 wins is the least it will take for us to get into the playoffs in 2014.
For the sake of argument let's say we split in our division. There's 3 wins and 3 losses. that means in order to make the playoffs we'd have to win 7 of the other 10 games.
I'm confident that we can beat the Vikes, Bucs, Chiefs, Raiders, Redskins and Giants. 6 more wins. That leaves us needing 1 win against the Eagles, Cowboys, Broncos or Chargers. We're home against the 'Boys and Broncos and have to travel to Philly and San Diego.
I think it is definitely within our capability to win 10 games as long as we remain relatively healthy and don't shoot ourselves in the foot. We don't need to be an offensive juggernaut, we just need to score more than the other team. I think we have the pieces to do it.
Actually if you look at it that way. I really think we could possibly win all of the non divisional games with the exception of the Broncos. So yes, I think we could win 10-11 games and make the playoffs, if we split our divisional games, which will be no easy task

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This west division could be a four team contention with all the teams doing a 500 on each other.... and where a 9 win season could win it. Shame we get stuck in Seattle in game #17 once again. Looks to me that should have been changed up!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It all comes down to which way the ball bounces sometimes. It takes a ton of talent and a bit of luck to make it.

fearsomefour

Legend
What is our best case scenario (being realistic) in division....3-3?
Oakland, KC, Minnesota, Dallas are winnable games....hard to project this far out....the Rams could win 10 games. Tough games vs. Denver, SD and our six divisional games means there is very little window for error.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I want to see all the NFCW teams finish 10-6, everyone make the playoffs and the Rams beat SF in the conference championship!

But 9-7 and a wildcard berth would be cool too. We'd all party.