2013 NFL Preview: St. Louis Rams (Niners Nation)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Wes Hanson
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/7/6/4497970/2013-nfl-preview-st-louis-rams-offseason-additions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/7/6/44 ... -additions</a>

Rookie Additions: WR Tavon Austin, OLB Alec Ogletree, S T.J. McDonald, WR Stedman Bailey, C/G Barrett Jones, CB Brandon McGee, RB Zac Stacy.

Veteran Additions: TE Jared Cook, OT Jake Long.

Strengths: I feel like evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of the Rams team might be the hardest task for any team in the NFC West for 49ers fans. Last season, when they played the 49ers, they looked really solid. They were deceptive on offense and especially on special teams (lol fake punts) and hard-nosed on defense. And while they shouldn't play at that level during every game this season, this does speak to their strengths.

The Rams' greatest strength (except for, maybe, their head coach, Jeff Fisher) has got to be their D. The DEs, Chris Long and Robert Quinn, had 11.5 and 10.5 sacks respectively. Heck, even DT Michael Brockers had four sacks and was a pretty good run-stopper. Along with Kendall Langford, this unit is packed up by some solid LBs that include rookie Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis. The strong D is rounded out by CBs Cortland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins.

Weaknesses: Where the Rams are weak on defense, however, is at the safety position. Both starters left in free agency, and Darian Stewart and Rodney McLeod are in a competition with rookie T.J. McDonald. This is probably not the most awe-inspiring group of safeties.

Much of the offense is suspect too, though probably not as bad as people think. While I'm a believer in Sam Bradford, this will be a big year for him. The front office went out to get weapons for him, most notably (the likely overpaid, but bursting with potential) TE Jared Cook and WR Tavon Austin. In addition, the team attempted to shore up its o-line with the (unfortunately injury-prone) OT Jake Long. His presence kicks Rodger Saffold to the right side of the line, thus giving the o-line greater stability overall. Determining how much of a weakness (or an asset) this offense will be for the Rams is going to come down to how well Bradford responds to his new o-line and receiving targets.

Ultimately, I think it will be the lack of a running game that might hurt the Rams the most. With RB Steven Jackson leaving, the Rams will be running Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead out. They could also turn to rookie Zac Stacy. Pro Football Focus rated Richardson as a -1.8 rusher (-6.8 overall), and Pead barely played enough last season such that we can have a clear idea of what type of rusher he is.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Not a bad evaluation, hard to really pick it apart... I think our Safety's will be better than last year, but they will need to grow, and I wouldn't mind another guy next to TJ in the future (a true ball hawk maybe)... I also agree that our offense isn't as bad as people think, but they'll need to prove it on the field... Which I think they will.

Pead will show exactly what type of rusher he is.... A skilled shifty one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the oline is as solid as we think, the running game will be fine.

So, if this "hurts the Rams the most"... we're good.

A55VA6

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
If the oline is as solid as we think, the running game will be fine.

So, if this "hurts the Rams the most"... we're good.
Agreed. We should be in good shape.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We're all anxious to see how the RB battle plays out...Agree with CGI the improve play of the OL can make many RB's look good. IMO Pead seperates himself Rams get by in game one with Stacy/Richardson and then go with the explosive Pead the rest of the way with a little help from his friends.

The key for Pead will be day one of training camp and pre-season if he has positive results that will go along way in determining who the Rams will lean on most this year.

iced

I think the safety position is being overlooked, atleast as far as Darian Stewart goes. We already know he can lay the wood and does have starting experience