20 Random Ugly Tree Completes a Beautiful Forest Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. Did anyone deserve to win that game?

2. It was an ugly tree. Turnovers, punt coverage and kicking game turned a game that should have been a runaway victory into a frustrating nail biter.

3. The Giants went all out with the blitz. The Rams handled it at times, with some very effective screens and roll-out plays, but it was also disruptive, and Stafford took too many hits.

4. That's not an excuse for two interceptions, which were just bad throws, nor does it excuse the dropped passes that helped scuttle at least two drives.

5. The defense had its moments, particularly rushing the passer, but it again was beat deep, and allowed Tyrod Taylor to nearly run them out of the Meadowlands on the final drive.

6. Special teams, though, may have been the biggest culprit. Two missed extra points and a second punt return TD allowed in four weeks. Not good.

7. The Giants, thankfully, were in a giving mood too, as Taylor missed a sure fire two point conversion, and "former Ram" Mason Crosby missed an extra point and a potential game winning FG.

8. Was it the Giants style? The Rams looking past them? The pitfalls of a young team that, for all its recent success, still has deficiencies?

9. And, does it matter? The Steelers did us a solid and took out the Seahawks, turning the day into a playoff clinching celebration, and making this season a beautiful forest!

10. My offensive player of the week is Kyren Williams. His 87 yards rushing, 14 yards receiving, and 3 TDs (not to mention some man-sized blitz pickups) kept the team moving all day. He is having an amazing season.

11. You have to give Puka Nacua a shout-out as well, as his 118 yards moved him to third on the all-time rookie receiving yards list, passing Justin Jefferson. With 29 more yards, he'll have the record (passing Jamar Chase and Bill Groman).

12. How much did we miss Alaric Jackson? Hard to say, given the fact that the pressure on Stafford was due to blitz packages creating free runs at the QB, but it certainly didn't help to have him out. Hopefully, his personal issue is short-term.

13. My defensive MVP is Kobe Turner. His numbers jump off the page: 5 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits. He now leads all rookies with 9 sacks, tying Aaron Donald's record for most sacks by a rookie DT.

14. Donald added 2 sacks of his own, and Byron Yong had one, bringing his total to 7 (tied for second among rookies). I'm not going to spend much time now talking about offseason moves, but adding another high end edge rusher to Turner, Donald and Young could take the D to the next level.

15. As for immediate moves... how can we stick with Lucas Havrisik? There MUST be someone who could do a better job? Right? Anyone?

16. Ethan Evans has a huge leg (57.4 yards per punt), but he clearly is outkicking the coverage. At this point, I'd trade some punt yardage for some hang time. Can he make that adjustment and, if so, can he do it soon?

17. Enough about the today's difficulties. This team came into the season with so many people doubting that it could compete. A combination of veteran leadership, an amazing rookie (and 2nd year) class, and some very good schemes by the coaches has brought us back to the playoffs for the 5th time in 7 seasons under Sean McVay's leadership.

18. While I predicted a playoff spot (with a 10-7 record) before the season starts, I'm not ready to call this team a contender. That said, they're not going to be an easy out, and, next year... look out!

19. The Rams face a 49ers team that has clinched the No. 1 seed in Week 18. Will the 49ers play their starters and, if so, for how long? And, will the Rams go all out to try to hold on the No. 6 seed, which likely would mean a trip to Detroit to see an old friend, rather than a tough matchup at Dallas (or, less likely, Philadelphia)? Stay tuned!

20. Either way, the Rams will play an 18th game this year. Celebrate! And... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Last edited:

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
will the Rams go all out to try to hold on the No. 2 seed,
Huh?

Agreed with everything else; it was a pretty routine win made difficult by sloppy play.

We’ll need to be much less error-strewn in the playoffs, but nobody will want to face us.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Huh?

Agreed with everything else; it was a pretty routine win made difficult by sloppy play.

We’ll need to be much less error-strewn in the playoffs, but nobody will want to face us.
Geez... give a guy a chance to correct a typo! :zany1:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
8b. Was it the my stream of consciousness style? My looking past my computer screen at the New Year's shows? The pitfalls of a not so young poster that, for all his ROD success, still has typing deficiencies?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
3. The Giants went all out with the blitz. The Rams handled it at times, with some very effective screens and roll-out plays, but it was also disruptive, and Stafford took too many hits.
Need to look close, a couple late were zone blitzes, one looked like the hot receiver wide open for TD but Stafford didn't get ball off. But need to see more than TV angle. Looks like could have been a quick TD.

4. That's not an excuse for two interceptions, which were just bad throws, nor does it excuse the dropped passes that helped scuttle at least two drives.
Stafford does that. Will be brilliant then lay and egg. Sometimes for more than one week ... but then can rebound to be brilliant. It's who he is. he has elite skills ... but some gunslinger in him and makes more poor throws than the greats but it also allows him to make throws few others can do. But, when he's on, can be SB QB

Maybe him getting athe usual clunker out of the way is good.

5. The defense had its moments, particularly rushing the passer, but it again was beat deep, and allowed Tyrod Taylor to nearly run them out of the Meadowlands on the final drive.
Hoecht thinks he has skill set to execute inside moves and he does not have ability to recover and keep contain. That 31-yarder and others I have posted are killers. You like to spirit of a little dog trying to do what the big dogs do, but he needs to keep contain before he tries for kill-shot sacks.

6. Special teams, though, may have been the biggest culprit. Two missed extra points and a second punt return TD allowed in four weeks. Not good.
Punt is well documented ... long kicks, average hang time, missed tackles.

7. The Giants, thankfully, were in a giving mood too, as Taylor missed a sure fire two point conversion, and "former Ram" Mason Crosby missed an extra point and a potential game winning FG.
Lucky breaks for Rams

10. My offensive player of the week is Kyren Williams. His 87 yards receiving, 14 yards receiving, and 3 TDs (not to mention some man-sized blitz pickups) kept the team moving all day. He is having an amazing season.
Pro Bowler. Bid TD run was outside zone that was so well blocked no one touched him

11. You have to give Puka Nacua a shout-out as well, as his 118 yards moved him to third on the all-time rookie receiving yards list, passing Justin Jefferson. With 29 more yards, he'll have the record (passing Jamar Chase and Bill Groman).
Breaking that tackle on Cover-0 won the game. Blitz. No help deep, make one guy miss huge play

13. My defensive MVP is Kobe Turner. His numbers jump off the page: 5 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits. He now leads all rookies with 9 sacks, tying Aaron Donald's record for most sacks by a rookie DT.
I give Jonah Williams a mention. Played well today in run game.
16. Ethan Evans has a huge leg (57.4 yards per punt), but he clearly is outkicking the coverage. At this point, I'd trade some punt yardage for some hang time. Can he make that adjustment and, if so, can he do it soon?
Always will. His hang time is about 4.3 to 4.4, which is not bad but not elite, either. But the tacklers were tehre on both punts. Would have been maybe 12-15 yard return (too high) but missed tackles cost them big time

17. Enough about the today's difficulties. This team came into the season with so many people doubting that it could compete. A combination of veteran leadership, an amazing rookie (and 2nd year) class, and some very good schemes by the coaches has brought us back to the playoffs for the 5th time in 7 seasons under Sean McVay's leadership.
One of best rookie classes Rams have ever had. McVay elite coach.

18. While I predicted a playoff spot (with a 10-7 record) before the season starts, I'm not ready to call this team a contender. That said, they're not going to be an easy out, and, next year... look out!
Agree. But I didn't think they'd win 10 (I thought 6-7 at most, 5-6 at the least) ... but they are not SB contender, I call it a year ahead of schedule. 2024 could be a run year ... key edge signing/draft ... CB maybe in 2nd ... money to spend. If Stafford is healthy ... and better rush and upgrade to CBs...could be a 12-13 win team in 2024

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
Punt is well documented ... long kicks, average hang time, missed tackles.
But on a long kick, you need more hang time for the coverage to run the extra distance.

BC

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
But on a long kick, you need more hang time for the coverage to run the extra distance.

BC
Right ... that is what I mean. An average kick in NFL is maybe 48 yards (around that) .... and hang time is about 4.3 (around that) ,,, then on a 50 or 58 yarder you need more hang time... if you want good coverage

Oddly, Evans had a monster punt in the game today, I didn't time it but what it did do was fly over the returner's head. That gives guys time to get there. That return was negative yards, I think.

So, on today's ... there were a couple of issues ... not just one

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2011 NY Giants......................9-7 record, missed playoffs the year before, not expected to do much before the season started.
This Rams team is very similar. Anything is possible with a QB that has been to the SB before and won it. I'm a total Rams homer, but this team really matches up well with almost anyone. This could be a Cinderella season for the ages. I'm drinking the kool-aid! What a season!!!!!!

Q729

Legend
2011 NY Giants......................9-7 record, missed playoffs the year before, not expected to do much before the season started.
This Rams team is very similar. Anything is possible with a QB that has been to the SB before and won it. I'm a total Rams homer, but this team really matches up well with almost anyone. This could be a Cinderella season for the ages. I'm drinking the kool-aid! What a season!!!!!!
Shit, man. What's the fun in NOT drinking the Kool-Aid right now?! :clinkingbeer:

Q729

Legend
And then we can draft Kool-Aid in April and improve our secondary.

It’s win-win!
Kool_Aid_Man_Oh_Yeah.gif

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That said, they're not going to be an easy out,
This is true, but we need to be better against the blitz. It’s our Achilles heal with our offense and I’m sure whomever we face in the playoffs are well aware.

McVay needs to keep calling those short passes and run the ball the way he has been.

Tano

Legend
Hoecht thinks he has skill set to execute inside moves and he does not have ability to recover and keep contain. That 31-yarder and others I have posted are killers. You like to spirit of a little dog trying to do what the big dogs do, but he needs to keep contain before he tries for kill-shot sacks.
I was saying that all game.

Hoecht needs to keep contain.

And I still hate it when he covers receivers past 5 yards.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
This is true, but we need to be better against the blitz. It’s our Achilles heal with our offense and I’m sure whomever we face in the playoffs are well aware.

McVay needs to keep calling those short passes and run the ball the way he has been.
Thankfully, the teams were likely to play blitz only around 25% of the time. The Giants blitz at a rate of about 43%.

Plus…without the fumble and drops, it might not have impacted us as much.