20 Random Thoughts - Hopes, Fears and Expectations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. Not much to say about last Sunday's game. At this point, they're little more than early preseason games for the 2023 season.

2. Instead, this week, I'm going to give some random hopes, fears and expectations for 2023.

3. I hope Matthew Stafford will be heathier than when the 2023 season starts than he was all of this season.

4. I fear that any injury involving the neck can be career threatening.

5. I expect that Stafford will avoid major issues and have a great year.

6. I hope what we're seeing from Cam Akers is indicative of his future as a RB1.

7. I fear we're just being teased, and he won't be able to maintain this level of play.

8. I expect the Rams will hedge their bets and draft a running back.

9. I hope Tutu Atwell is becoming a contributor.

10. I fear he's still too much of a one-trick-(Shetland) pony.

11. I expect he'll have a role, albeit minor, next season.

12. I hope Baker Mayfield returns as our No. 2.

13. I fear he'll get paid more elsewhere, with a better chance of starting.

14. I expect he'll at least consider staying, as his options will remain limited.

15. I hope we'll add some talent to the OL.

16. I fear our limited money and draft capital will make it difficult to do so.

17. I expect our OL will improve significantly in 2023.

18. I hope we'll become contenders again in 2023.

19. I fear that the 2021 season was our "Endgame," followed by an uncertain future.

20. I expect the 2023 season will still be a lot better than Thor: Love and Thunder, Ms. Marvel and She Hulk.

Happy New Year ROD!!!

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
15. I hope we'll add some talent to the OL.

16. I fear our limited money and draft capital will make it difficult to do so.

17. I expect our OL will improve significantly in 2023.

I think we have no choice but to add outside help to the offensive line.

It might just be one guy. Probably a tier 2/3 type like Brunskill. But one starter changes the balance.

I definitely cannot see rolling out the 2022 oline with fingers crossed. That is a recipe to get fired.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think we have no choice but to add outside help to the offensive line.

It might just be one guy. Probably a tier 2/3 type like Brunskill. But one starter changes the balance.

I definitely cannot see rolling out the 2022 oline with fingers crossed. That is a recipe to get fired.

I'm not so sure it has to be 'outside' help, the draft just might provide. As long as Jackson & Noteboom return healthy and Nsekhe is re-signed, a draft pick to supplement, I personally think we're good to go at LT. Draft one of the top C/OG's to start at LG this year and moves to Center the following year. Are the Rams going to ruin their opportunities at losing 2024 Comp picks for a high priced free agent LT who may not be a Whitworth clone ?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not so sure it has to be 'outside' help, the draft just might provide. As long as Jackson & Noteboom return healthy and Nsekhe is re-signed, a draft pick to supplement, I personally think we're good to go at LT. Draft one of the top C/OG's to start at LG this year and moves to Center the following year. Are the Rams going to ruin their opportunities at losing 2024 Comp picks for a high priced free agent LT who may not be a Whitworth clone ?
I think 2022 was more than bad luck, it highlighted we cannot trust Boom or Allen.

LT might be Jackson / Nsekhe and a draft pick. I doubt we have the ammo to find a LT in FA.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
12. I hope Baker Mayfield returns as our No. 2.

13. I fear he'll get paid more elsewhere, with a better chance of starting.

14. I expect he'll at least consider staying, as his options will remain limited.

It’s going to be interesting. There will be a lot of QB movement this offseason and it’s going to be a wild ride. Lamar Jackson, Daniel Jones, Brady, JG, Derek Carr, maybe even Goff have unsettled futures.

Week 18 feels like it is shaping up to be important to Baker’s 2023 value.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let's not forget Bruss on the OL. I think he's gonna show up for us next season

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's not forget Bruss on the OL. I think he's gonna show up for us next season
When I was at Lambeau, there were two of his classmates from Wisconsin sitting in front of us. They told us how bummed he was about the injury and assured us he is working his ass off to get back next year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The worse Baker Mayfield does the better chance we have of bringing him back as the QB2. He's teased with the final minutes of the Raider game and the Broncos game. But he struggled mightily against the Packers and Chargers. That is the Baker Mayfield people know. Up and down games. So maybe no one wants to have that for their team. Which would be good for us. Because no matter how poorly he plays now, he's still a better backup than what we've had.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The worse Baker Mayfield does the better chance we have of bringing him back as the QB2. He's teased with the final minutes of the Raider game and the Broncos game. But he struggled mightily against the Packers and Chargers. That is the Baker Mayfield people know. Up and down games. So maybe no one wants to have that for their team. Which would be good for us. Because no matter how poorly he plays now, he's still a better backup than what we've had.
Hope you’re right but I don’t see Mayfield re-signing with the Rams. It would be great but just expect him to have some lucrative opportunities to start on some talented teams.

Here in NYC, some of the local media has already identified Mayfield as a perfect free agent addition for the Jets.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope you’re right but I don’t see Mayfield re-signing with the Rams. It would be great but just expect him to have some lucrative opportunities to start on some talented teams.

Here in NYC, some of the local media has already identified Mayfield as a perfect free agent addition for the Jets.
Call those radio shows and let them know, what's what. Time to flex that ROD muscle!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

How much time are they going to give Saleh?

I would think he would want a more proven QB.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
New york is the last place he should go. That media would have Backer wrapped so tight i doubt he would do well.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
How much time are they going to give Saleh?

I would think he would want a more proven QB.
I think Saleh and GM Joe Douglas are safe but Jets’ owner Woody Johnson is one of those Billionaire Owners who thinks he knows football but really … REALLY … does not.

Some speculation that there could be a forced change at Offensive Coordinator (Matt Lafleur’s brother Mike) to appease ownership and/or the always pissed-off Jets fan-base.

QB is the hot topic. Most Jets fans and NY media have concluded Zach Wilson is not the guy. Most New Yorkers understand Patience. Most of them simply ignore it.

Saleh is saying he supports Wilson but has to at this moment. Saleh and Douglas wanted Wilson; so, if they move-on, it’s a huge miss. However, they have developed a really good, mostly young roster. With a legitimate upgrade at QB, and a slight upgrade on the O-Line, the Jets could be very good in 2023.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
New York is the last place he should go. That media would have Backer wrapped so tight i doubt he would do well.
Yeah, New York is a tough and strange place. Media and sports fans ... especially Jets fans.

However, NY likes someone with an "Edge". That's a nice way of saying NYers like ass-holes.

The most popular Zach Wilson was in New York over the past two years was when the reports came-out that he had an affair with one of his mother's best friends. Lots of NYers thought that was great.

dang

Legend
I believe 2023 will be a big transition year for the Rams (OL, DL, Edge, DB, RB). They have enough talent to be a very competitive team but I don’t see them filling all the holes until the 2024 season. But I’ll gladly be wrong (as I often am).

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I'm trying to be optimistic. If I had to guess I would put our chances of keeping him at less than 20 percent. But the worse he plays it does make him less desirable to other teams. And I don't think it would scare the Rams from wanting to re-sign him. Because like I said, he's still much better than the backups they put out there.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Let's hope if he decides to leave it's for a very lucrative offer. What's the highest comp pick in 2024 could we get for him? A 3rd?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Let's hope if he decides to leave it's for a very lucrative offer. What's the highest comp pick in 2024 could we get for him? A 3rd?

A 3'rd round Comp pick seems doable if some team pays a rich price for him. My fear over the 2024 Comp picks we may receive for losing Mayfield, Gaines or A'Shawn Robinson during this post season is how we dilute their value with our own free agency acquisitions in 2023. These two seemingly separate issues are integrated into the Compensation formula.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
A 3'rd round Comp pick seems doable if some team pays a rich price for him. My fear over the 2024 Comp picks we may receive for losing Mayfield, Gaines or A'Shawn Robinson during this post season is how we dilute their value with our own free agency acquisitions in 2023. These two seemingly separate issues are integrated into the Compensation formula.
Remember there will be teams releasing players who don't restructure to get under the cap, once the league year starts. Bobby Wagner-type transactions. We could pick up a guy or two there with no affect on the comp formula. These guys are savvy.