20 Random Thoughts has a High Ankle Sprain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. Wait... what? How can a message board series have a high ankle sprain? Does it even have ankles?

2. Of course, this theme is no sillier than the predicament we find ourselves in.

3. Here's my theory... A year ago, we Rams fans got together and collectively wished for a championship. The Football Gods heard our prayer, and decided to answer our plea on the condition that we all also agreed to withstand a nightmarish follow-up season after winning the big one. We made this deal, but we didn't know that, being old school Gods who thrive on irony, revenge and mocking mankind, the Football deities decreed that we'd have no memory of the deal we made, thus compelling us to suffer, lacking the knowledge that enduring this year was the agreed upon price of a championship.

4. Either that or field turf sucks. Maybe that's it?

5. Oh, and I'm not going to provide an in-depth analysis of the Chiefs game. We played as well as could be expected in a match-up equivalent of Spud Webb guarding Patrick Ewing in the post.

6. A few props are in order...

7. Kyren Williams could have a future with this team. I don't see him as a primary RB1, but he could be a very effective third-down/change-of-pace reliable option next year. Behind/paired with whom? Well... while Cam Akers has looked a bit better in the past two weeks than the first part of the season, I think that guy may be in college or on another team right now.

8. I'm not going to get my hopes up on Tutu Atwell, but he has at least made a couple of plays lately. He'll get some more chances in the remainder of the season, so... well, I said I wouldn't get my hopes up.

9. In a total lost cause season, here's to the guys like Rob Havenstein, Bobby Wagner and Nick Scott, who keep strapping on the helmet and giving their all.

10. So now, we're looking at Allen Robinson shut down for the year, and possibly Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald along with him. Ugh.

11. I'll say this about our Rams... they do things BIG. 1979? Biggest underdog ever almost pulls off a shocker against a dynasty. 1999? Biggest fairy tale season ever. 2021? The pinnacle of an "all in" strategy working. 2022? Most snakebit, injury-plagued, soul crushing attempted title defense ever.

12. I do see a lot of hope for 2023. I have been accused of being a wide-eyed optimist before, though.

13. A big storyline of this offseason will be how the stars respond to this year's adversity. Okay... Cooper Kupp is an easy one. He'll probably come back in the best shape of his life, with an even faster 40 time, and have a great year.

14. Others, though, will be questioned. Until we hear firm commitments, there will be those who will wonder if this season will drive Sean McVay, Matthew Stafford and Aaron Donald into well-deserved retirements, or if it will be a motivator to show that they're not ready to be written off and sent into the sunset.

15. I tend to believe it will be the latter for all three, but... who knows? In McVay's case, the money truck is always parked on the curb outside his house, waiting for him to take a TV job. In Stafford's and Donald's case, there is an opportunity to leave the game with health, wealth, and glory.

16. I'd ask each for just one more year (with an option for more), but they don't owe me anything.

17. As an aside, I don't begrudge the Detroit Lions for the benefits they stand to gain from the Rams' troubles. The Lions' willingness to let Stafford leave was somewhat noble, and it benefited us greatly. If the Lions can parlay the deal into the development a team that will give long suffering Lions fans something to cheer about, I'm okay with that.

18. The prospect of a top 40 selection in the draft... intriguing.

19. The challenge of rebuilding around the (hopefully) returning core of stars... exciting.

20. And, remember... the Rams do things big. 2023... an historically big comeback season? Why not?

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I agree - I can’t see a guy like McVay, Donald, or Stafford allowing this to be their final year with the team, with this core of players. This wouldn’t sit right with me and I can’t imagine it would with them.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Good point about the Lions. Yeah, I'm bitter that the Rams won't have a top-5 pick as consolation for this train-wreck of a season. On the other hand, the Lions did right by Stafford by letting him free to chase a championship before his career was over. So if karma means the Lions get a premium pick in return? I can accept that I guess, their fans have suffered enough, they deserve a winning team.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I agree - I can’t see a guy like McVay, Donald, or Stafford allowing this to be their final year with the team, with this core of players. This wouldn’t sit right with me and I can’t imagine it would with them.

I agree. No way these guys will be happy to retire this way. It was like all the bad fortune that could happen in 1 season did.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Good point about the Lions. Yeah, I'm bitter that the Rams won't have a top-5 pick as consolation for this train-wreck of a season. On the other hand, the Lions did right by Stafford by letting him free to chase a championship before his career was over. So if karma means the Lions get a premium pick in return? I can accept that I guess, their fans have suffered enough, they deserve a winning team.

I'd take a train wreck season for a Lombardi anytime. Before McVay, all we had was train wreck seasons.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
10. So now, we're looking at Allen Robinson shut down for the year, and possibly Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald along with him. Ugh.

What % of our salary cap is represented here? :wow2:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I always enjoy your random posts, but your theory is way off. If that were true, Tom Brady would have his soul reclaimed by the devil after that championship in 2001-02 season. No way does he become a superstar like that.

I'd rather err on the side of caution and give Tutu and Williams a chance to develop. Hard to call their career trajectory with just under 50 NFL game snaps.

I think guys like Higs and A'Shawn are gone after this year. Underperformed and we may bring on a vet(s) like Mundt and Everett, and maybe even recruit a guy like Nkagoue to play DE.

I've also seen Gaines struggling this year so maybe we offer him a lower extension and bring competition into camp.

Still a head scratcher why Kendrick starts over Rochelle and Durant. Kendrick will be good in the long run, but needs some seasoning.

I'd also like to see Lake over Rapp right now as Rapp is severely limited if asked to play outside of the box.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I always enjoy your random posts, but your theory is way off. If that were true, Tom Brady would have his soul reclaimed by the devil after that championship in 2001-02 season. No way does he become a superstar like that.

I'd rather err on the side of caution and give Tutu and Williams a chance to develop. Hard to call their career trajectory with just under 50 NFL game snaps.

I think guys like Higs and A'Shawn are gone after this year. Underperformed and we may bring on a vet(s) like Mundt and Everett, and maybe even recruit a guy like Nkagoue to play DE.

I've also seen Gaines struggling this year so maybe we offer him a lower extension and bring competition into camp.

Still a head scratcher why Kendrick starts over Rochelle and Durant. Kendrick will be good in the long run, but needs some seasoning.

I'd also like to see Lake over Rapp right now as Rapp is severely limited if asked to play outside of the box.

My sample size was very small but watching the Chargers whiners game, Reeder played quite well in a limited role. Is it because of Staley?

Tano

Legend
My sample size was very small but watching the Chargers whiners game, Reeder played quite well in a limited role. Is it because of Staley?
Reeder is a so so player on first and second down but is terrible on 3rd down for some reason whenever he is not rushing the passer.

He let's players drag him for two to five yards too often and doesn't cover RBs well.

However, he is excellent at blitzing the passer.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
If Stafford/Donald/McVay ride off into the sunset after this year, we will have to suffer through a terrible 2023, however, there will be light at the end of that rainbow in the form of one Caleb Williams. Closest thing I've seen to a Mahomes type since Mahomes himself. I drool at the thought of that guy in horns.