20 Random Pre-Draft Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. The Rams just won a championship and, despite some losses, still have a championship roster.

2. Given that, how significant would it be if the Rams could find just one "diamond in the rough" who can make an impact as a rookie in 2022?

3. Admittedly, I tend to overthink the "position of need" side of the analysis. Last year, I, along with many, thought the Rams NEEDED an OL. And, while there are some who would say they missed the boat by not drafting one (who's name rhymes with "Greed Mumphrey," for example), they, in fact, had enough on the OL to win it all.

4. So, while my draft board and mock is heavy on EDGE rushers and DBs, I recognize that the Rams may, once again, throw us a curve ball.

5. Could the Rams, for example, start with a WR (and would that signal that, perhaps, they're not expecting OBJ back?)

6. Or, maybe, the Rams could take a TE... preparing for a post-Higbee era.

7. Or, perhaps, could the Rams take a DT who could rotate in and lighten Aaron Donald's regular season workload, leaving him fresh for another monster postseason?

8. Speaking of my draft board... every year I feel (usually right about this time) that there are a few players I left off who I should have included. Here are 5 who fit that description: Velus Jones, Jr., WR, Tennessee, Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB, Alabama, Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia, James Cook, RB, Georgia and Sean Rhyan, OL, UCLA.

9. I'm expecting some big trades between now and the end of Round 1. We all know about the WRs (Deebo Samuel, in particular) who are currently disgruntled, and there's also Baker Mayfield and Jimmy Garoppolo presumably on the block. I also think the lack of a clear "elite" class in this draft crop could cause teams to move up and down for guys they particularly like.

10. Meanwhile, Les and Sean will be chilling in the Rams' draft house. Not a bad gig!

11. It will be interesting to see how high punter Matt Araiza will go. Not that its fair to put this on a rookie, but if you knew he'd turn into the next Johnny Hekker, how high would you take him?

12. The Seahawks traded what would have been the 10th pick in a deal that brought them Jamal Adams, then traded Russell Wilson for a package that included this year's 9th pick. So... Adams for Wilson, to an extent? No wonder Seahawks fans are pissed!

13. I don't particularly expect the Rams to trade any players this week but, if they did consider moving anyone, I'd say Taylor Rapp is the most likely candidate.

14. The Rams also won't be signing any FAs this week... FAs signed next week don't adversely impact the comp pick formula so, even if we're talking to some of the vets still out there, they won't do anything for a week.

15. I won't be at all shocked if the Rams sign Tyrann Mathiew next week.

16. My "Most Likely to Succeed" prospect: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

17. My "Most Likely to Bust" prospect: Travon Walker, DL, Georgia

18. If I'm an EDGE rusher expected to go in the late-3rd/4th round, I'm praying that the Rams take me. As a mid-round rookie, do you want to be on a team that is hoping you'll help them establish a pass rush as a rookie, or a team with Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd guaranteeing that you'll pretty much never see a double team?

19. Anyway... let those other teams scramble around for a couple of days. The Rams can sit back, relax, and look for a bit of gravy!

20. Its good to be at the top of the mountain!

nighttrain

Legend
My fav
"The Seahawks traded what would have been the 10th pick in a deal that brought them Jamal Adams, then traded Russell Wilson for a package that included this year's 9th pick. So... Adams for Wilson, to an extent? No wonder Seahawks fans are pissed!"
:laugh3:
train

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Good stuff.

I was hoping rapp would have already been released or traded at this point. My only wish is that someone comes in and beats him out in camp.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
3. Admittedly, I tend to overthink the "position of need" side of the analysis. Last year, I, along with many, thought the Rams NEEDED an OL. And, while there are some who would say they missed the boat by not drafting one (who's name rhymes with "Greed Mumphrey," for example), they, in fact, had enough on the OL to win it all.

I don't believe the idea behind drafting OL last year was so much about the 2021 season as it was about preparing for the future and replenishing our stocks when considering the potential impact of Whitworth's retirement, ... Noteboom, Allen & Corbett becoming eligible for free agency, and guys like Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Brewer & Ealy due to hit free agency following this season. Quality OL depth can take a couple of years to develop, and our reserves are dwindling.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
IMO, if Cook is on the board at our first pick, he is a Ram. Its just the type of pick McVay would really love.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I am sort of expecting this, too. If Harris is moved to WR, they feel light in the pipeline at TE.

9. I'm expecting some big trades between now and the end of Round 1. We all know about the WRs (Deebo Samuel, in particular) who are currently disgruntled, and there's also Baker Mayfield and Jimmy Garoppolo presumably on the block. I also think the lack of a clear "elite" class in this draft crop could cause teams to move up and down for guys they particularly like.

It is going to be a crazy 7-days, come this time next week.

13. I don't particularly expect the Rams to trade any players this week but, if they did consider moving anyone, I'd say Taylor Rapp is the most likely candidate.

Agree. That is who is #1 on my list to be traded.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hope they stay true to the board with that first pick. Get the best value you can to help counter the late start. Don't sweat what position it is just take the dude with the best floor/upside combo.

OL: they have 9 guys on the current roster who look like they belong on an NFL roster. 2 are FAs after this season (Edwards & Evans). So their working number for next offseason is 7. If they get lucky with Pircher and he makes a move soon to show he belongs things look better but clearly they need another OL added in this draft. You don't have to address both but getting one now will help and give the staff time to coach him up in that pipeline. OL seems to have a high chance to be addressed.

TE: might be ok as it is if they like Blanton and Hopkins. They're basically 3 deep here (Higs/Hopkins/Blanton is the room). Markway could block for us but he isn't an ideal fourth guy. I think they could get through the season like this because they are going to favor 11 over 12 sets. But one of the reasons they favor 11 over 12 is the quality of the respective rooms. Also to consider here is that TE is a deep group this year with a lot of options for a team like the Rams who are looking to plug depth and maybe find some upside. So it seems to me like TE has a good chance to be the pick just a question of shit aligning.

CB: in a recent interview Blanton talked up Long and his work ethic which I hope comes to fruition. But our CB room is Ramsey Rochell and Long and Long is a FA after the season. This is an enormous need. Almost surely will be addressed in this draft.

Edge: this room is Floyd & Lewis. Like CB it's a high end need. Almost surely will be addressed.

P: I never have the slightest idea where punters will go. But obviously this is a big need and the Rams are almost surely going to address it.

S: I can't get away from this feeling that we need help at safety. Rams seem to think Rapp can do the job but the problem is both Rapp and Scott are FAs after this season. On the flipside safeties are cheap as a position on the market. So maybe the Rams feel they can find what they need on the fly. But barring that it would be wise to draft a safety.

RB: this room is Akers Hendy and Funk. All three have struggled to eat snaps and Hendy is a FA after the season. So this is a need position for the Rams however like safety it's a position where maybe they can wait until next year if things don't align in the draft. Like safety I see this as a position they jump on if it aligns.

I find it irritating to see so much ILB quality well into this draft this year, to have it align like this in an offseason where we added Wagner to a young draftee who showed well as a rook in Jones. Almost feels like it would be wasteful to address ILB right now.

So the damn near 100% "gonna be drafted" positions IMO are CB, Edge, and Punter. "Good chance" positions are OL and TE. I'd have OL in the 100% group but after two consecutive seasons of expecting OL the Rams have beat me down. And the third tier of I guess I'd call it "take it if it's there on the board" is RB and Safety.

Oh and lastly I'd like to see them add more returner talent to this roster. So the CB and RB types they look at will hopefully have that skill set.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
1. The Rams just won a championship and, despite some losses, still have a championship roster.

2. Given that, how significant would it be if the Rams could find just one "diamond in the rough" who can make an impact as a rookie in 2022?

4. So, while my draft board and mock is heavy on EDGE rushers and DBs, I recognize that the Rams may, once again, throw us a curve ball.

5. Could the Rams, for example, start with a WR (and would that signal that, perhaps, they're not expecting OBJ back?)

7. Or, perhaps, could the Rams take a DT who could rotate in and lighten Aaron Donald's regular season workload, leaving him fresh for another monster postseason?

8. Speaking of my draft board... every year I feel (usually right about this time) that there are a few players I left off who I should have included. Here are 5 who fit that description: Velus Jones, Jr., WR, Tennessee, Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB, Alabama, Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia, James Cook, RB, Georgia and Sean Rhyan, OL, UCLA.

10. Meanwhile, Les and Sean will be chilling in the Rams' draft house. Not a bad gig!

11. It will be interesting to see how high punter Matt Araiza will go. Not that its fair to put this on a rookie, but if you knew he'd turn into the next Johnny Hekker, how high would you take him?

12. The Seahawks traded what would have been the 10th pick in a deal that brought them Jamal Adams, then traded Russell Wilson for a package that included this year's 9th pick. So... Adams for Wilson, to an extent? No wonder Seahawks fans are pissed!

14. The Rams also won't be signing any FAs this week... FAs signed next week don't adversely impact the comp pick formula so, even if we're talking to some of the vets still out there, they won't do anything for a week.

15. I won't be at all shocked if the Rams sign Tyrann Mathiew next week.

16. My "Most Likely to Succeed" prospect: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

17. My "Most Likely to Bust" prospect: Travon Walker, DL, Georgia

18. If I'm an EDGE rusher expected to go in the late-3rd/4th round, I'm praying that the Rams take me. As a mid-round rookie, do you want to be on a team that is hoping you'll help them establish a pass rush as a rookie, or a team with Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd guaranteeing that you'll pretty much never see a double team?

19. Anyway... let those other teams scramble around for a couple of days. The Rams can sit back, relax, and look for a bit of gravy!

20. Its good to be at the top of the mountain!
1.Rams have always had a championship type team under Mcvay.Even in 2019.2 SB in 5 years.
4 out of 5 seasons playoffs.

2.Rams usually find a surprise innthe draft that ends up starting no matter where they draft.

3. Humphries was the pick.The Rams Thought other wise. Both Centers where signed to 3 year contracts in 2022.IMO they draft a OT like always to cross train. —AJ Jackson URFA, Anchrum 7th Rd. Type they develop.
—Biggest point no one ever see’s is The Rams system.The question then goes why did AJ Jackson join or sign with The Rams? Answer-simple

4.Well The Rams playing a 3/4 or 4/3 fits with them being able to draft a athletic OLB who might be a teeener.OBo is an example. Didn’t workout well,but they have a couple circled. The CB group is deep. I’d say 2 CB’s please.Such as a Burgees or Nick Scott type. Who can play slot.A pure cover corner would be nice as well.RR31 was a nice find.D.Long,Rapp,& Scott are in there final year. —Les Snead & Mcvay(Morris)all know it’s time to reload.
5. Ok
6. Ok
7. ? — Look out for The Brown Bro’s
Hoecht is a guy who works really hard.
8. Nice - always good to make draft calls on Ram fits & value.I have almost every year & hit on one.Then there are those you look back & question why not.
9. Seems like The NFL is making the draft a bigger stage.Vegas baby.

10. Snead might like it in his basement (cali) no basement’s man cave garage. Raheem Morris weather anyone wants to believe it has a big say in the draft as well.The Scouts do there job.Snead gives the info & suggestions.Mcvay & Morris will have a say when it really comes down to it & they want a play in that range.Mcvay trust Les. We can get into Raheem Morris & those jerks that wanted him FIRED!! What means to The Rams ?
11.Les Snead has done magic with Punters & FG kickers. It always hasn’t been easy either. Goes back to cutting Jones & Brown who were like The Rams MVP’s. His first year as a GM he drafts the Leg & signs Johnny as a UDRFA. Last year he still got a draft pick for a Punter.
12. Who cares
13.Yeah - ok - The relationship between Rapp & RAMsey is key.It’s basically what Jalen wants.I think they are tight & that’s why it wasn’t a big deal against Baltimore.

14. Agree would be shocked
15 would be shocked if the Badger is signed.The Rams are going to find some nice DB’s in the draft.
16. Who cares ? Good player
17.one of those Georgia guys are going to be good.That defense was amazing.
18.Like I was stating about The Rams & the O”Line.A player that is not drafted & can see a fit with The Rams is going to get Great Film work & experience in the Preseason.
19. Yeah ok ?
20. I’d say the Mountain that Tom Brady always talks about has started with the turn of the clock.OTA’s & the relationships.Last season Von Miller needed up being a guide on how to get up the Mountain.Matthew Stafford finally won his first playoff game & hasn’t lost one since. If he can continue to lead like that then climbing the next Mountain might be easier. Then again it’s always different
and things are never the same.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
It really seems like the Rams drafting style, especially their first pick, is to stay true to who they want. They do not usually go for the top guy who falls. Every year I get excited for a few guys who are still surprisingly on the board when the rams pick - only to be heartbroken when we pick a guy expected to go 15-30 picks later. This might be the Wagner effect on Snead.

I won’t be fooled this year. They likely have a list of 5 guys (maybe 10) that they like at that spot and will pick someone from that list.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We are severely lacking on the defensive side of the ball with respect to players under contract.

DL (7) Donald, Gaines, A'Shawn, Brown, Copeland, Hoecht and Ernest Brown
ILB (5) Wagner, Jones, Howard, Rozeboom and Hines
OLB (4) Floyd, TLew, Hollins and Garrett
CB (5) Ramsey, Long, Rochell, Haley and Hall
S (6) Rapp, Burgess, Scott, Fuller, Gervase and Brooks

Total D: 27

Sure it's more than we'd carry on our final 51 but there are a lot of "journeymen / youngsters" on that list. Plus who knows how many of the non-journeymen will fail to make the roster. Clearly, we need help at CB. A couple of bodies short. Edge? Sure we could use one.

On offense:

QB (3) Stafford, Wolford, Perkins
RB (6) Akers, Henderson, Funk, X Jones, Calais and Hawkins
TE (4) Higbee, Blanton, Hopkins and Markway
WR (10) Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson, Atwell, Harris, Skowronek, Koski, W. Jackson and Akers
T (6) Havenstein, Noteboom, Alaric Jackson, Williams, Ealy and Pircher
G (5) Edwards, Evans, Anchrum, Brewer and Kolone
C (2) Allen and Shelton

Total O: 36

ST (4) Gay, Dixon, Orzech and Powell

We will add about 23 guys via the draft and UDFA.

Gotta go CB for sure. Hopefully twice!!
RB is the next biggest need IMHO.
G/T, Edge, S and TE after that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are severely lacking on the defensive side of the ball with respect to players under contract.

DL (7) Donald, Gaines, A'Shawn, Brown, Copeland, Hoecht and Ernest Brown
ILB (5) Wagner, Jones, Howard, Rozeboom and Hines
OLB (4) Floyd, TLew, Hollins and Garrett
CB (5) Ramsey, Long, Rochell, Haley and Hall
S (6) Rapp, Burgess, Scott, Fuller, Gervase and Brooks

Total D: 27

Sure it's more than we'd carry on our final 51 but there are a lot of "journeymen / youngsters" on that list. Plus who knows how many of the non-journeymen will fail to make the roster. Clearly, we need help at CB. A couple of bodies short. Edge? Sure we could use one.

On offense:

QB (3) Stafford, Wolford, Perkins
RB (6) Akers, Henderson, Funk, X Jones, Calais and Hawkins
TE (4) Higbee, Blanton, Hopkins and Markway
WR (10) Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson, Atwell, Harris, Skowronek, Koski, W. Jackson and Akers
T (6) Havenstein, Noteboom, Alaric Jackson, Williams, Ealy and Pircher
G (5) Edwards, Evans, Anchrum, Brewer and Kolone
C (2) Allen and Shelton

Total O: 36

ST (4) Gay, Dixon, Orzech and Powell

We will add about 23 guys via the draft and UDFA.

Gotta go CB for sure. Hopefully twice!!
RB is the next biggest need IMHO.
G/T, Edge, S and TE after that.
That 27 is more than we’d carry during the season. Most of what we need is depth and competition.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That 27 is more than we’d carry during the season. Most of what we need is depth and competition.
I agree we don't necessarily need a starter but there are 3 positions where a starter from the draft could emerge. CB, G and Edge but the RB we draft might end up playing more than the CB or Edge.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I agree we don't necessarily need a starter but there are 3 positions where a starter from the draft could emerge. CB, G and Edge but the RB we draft might end up playing more than the CB or Edge.

My only follow up to this is that we have no known RG to replace Corbett, that's not to say that McVay/Carberry don't have a ready replacement in mind, but from our limited viewing of IOL depth players from last season may have left many of us fans ill-prepared to crown someone just yet. Shelton's name most frequently comes up, although I don't believe he's ever played RG in the past, and risking your only reserve Center just doesn't sit right with me.
The Rams had announced last season that Corbett was to become our starting Center & Evans our RG, then Evans failed miserably and thankfully Allen had recovered. While the draft will be pivotal in providing depth, I won't be surprised if the Rams look to a trade or seek a CAP Casualty free agent during or following camp.
jmo.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I don't believe the idea behind drafting OL last year was so much about the 2021 season as it was about preparing for the future and replenishing our stocks when considering the potential impact of Whitworth's retirement, ... Noteboom, Allen & Corbett becoming eligible for free agency, and guys like Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Brewer & Ealy due to hit free agency following this season. Quality OL depth can take a couple of years to develop, and our reserves are dwindling.
With as many people as we had in here that hated the idea of Allen starting and thought he was a bust, yeah it was about last year. It was also about the future and that's where the argument has pivoted now, but make no mistake. People thought we couldn't make it with Allen.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think the biggest question I have with the 2022 draft is, 'will Snead trade down out of the third round to pick up an extra 5th or 6th?'.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There were some who straight didn't like Allen starting. But I think overall there was more concern than anything else that he could both elevate his play and stay healthy. Seemed like the Rams were rolling the dice and it turned out for them.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
With as many people as we had in here that hated the idea of Allen starting and thought he was a bust, yeah it was about last year. It was also about the future and that's where the argument has pivoted now, but make no mistake. People thought we couldn't make it with Allen.

Some may have thought that about Allen, but I think it was far from a consensus. The thing with Allen was that he was still recovering and the Rams figured Corbett & Evans would take up the slack at Center & RG. Evans' utter failure during the pre-season caused some panic to be sure, but that was following the draft. Creed Humphrey was drafted at #63, and as much as some of us liked him, I'm not sure there was the expectation of his immediately starting, although considering his performance at K.C., he likely would have in retrospect.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I want Tyler Badie or, failing that, Eyioma Uwazurike. That's all I'm gonna ask for because the Rams never listen to me (except with Stedman Bailey and T.J. McDonald. Not going to count that asshole Zac Stacy.)