20 Random Back to Work Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. Its been a great five months.

2. A lot of hard work truly paid off, and the players have really enjoyed the spoils, including the coveted rings awarded last week.

3. We fans have had a great offseason as well. I know that I feel rejuvenated as a fan, and so eager for more.

4. Now... this shit gets real again!

5. From a roster standpoint, there's so much to like about the 2022 Los Angeles Rams.

6. Few teams can match what we have at QB and receiver. Matthew Stafford is now a proven elite player. Cooper Kupp had a year for the ages. Allen Robinson is a perfect addition. Van Jefferson is still a player on the rise. There's still hope (at least from me) for Tutu Atwell. And we have RBs and TEs who can catch the ball and contribute.

7. The OL is definitely a bit of a question mark, as we'll have two new starters. I feel pretty confident, though, that it will come together fairly seamlessly.

8. The running game is a question mark. Though Sean McVay did not abandon the run until the second half of the Super Bowl, it was a non-factor for most of the playoffs. Will a healthy Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson (with, perhaps, a contribution from Jake Funk and/or Kyren Williams) make a significant difference? I'm eager to see.

9. The addition of Bobby Wagner, return of Jordan Fuller and Troy Hill, and development of Ernest Jones make me very optimistic about the defense.

10. Of all the camp/preseason things to watch, the EDGE position will be among the most intriguing. If someone like Chris Garrett or Daniel Hardy can emerge... look out!

11. The CB battle (behind Jalen Ramsey) should also be interesting. I'm glad to have the young depth.

12. Last year, the Rams won the NFC West despite a 3-3 record within the division. I'm expecting at least 5 wins in the division games this year, which will go a long way towards repeating (and ensuring at least one SoFi playoff game).

13. While certain aspects of the Rams' schedule are difficult, the schedule-makers actually did us some favors with respect to the division schedule. For example, our two games against the 49ers fall within the first 8 weeks of the season, meaning we get Trey Lance early when he still may be finding his way. Our second meeting is also at a favorable time, as we will be coming off a bye, while the 49ers will be coming off a tough game against the Chiefs. We also get the Cardinals in the first six weeks, when Deandre Hopkins will be under suspension.

14. On a personal note, if all goes as planned, I'll be in Tampa and Green Bay cheering on our road warriors.

15. While we won it all, there are some returning players who I still think are ascending, including Akers, Jefferson, Kendall Blanton and/or Brycen Hopkins, A'Shawn Robinson and Ernest Jones.

16. Though some of the alternate helmets are okay, the only alternate I'd want to see is a throwback.

17. When you look at OBJ on social media and at celebrations (including his crashing of McVay's wedding!), its clear he wants to be a Ram. Its also clear that the players and McVay want him back. I've got to believe that the team will find the money to make it happen. Its just too tempting to think of a playoff run with Kupp/OBJ/Robinson/Jefferson as the four WR set.

18. How great is it to be a Rams fan right now? I feel supremely confident that I'll be writing 20 thoughts that point towards another year of title contender status 12 months from now. This is truly a golden age for us.

19. Its been 17 years since a team has repeated, so many will point out that the odds are against us.

20. NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!!!!!!!

Tano

Legend
20. NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!!!!!!!
1658768593131.png

dang

Legend
17. When you look at OBJ on social media and at celebrations (including his crashing of McVay's wedding!), its clear he wants to be a Ram. Its also clear that the players and McVay want him back. I've got to believe that the team will find the money to make it happen. Its just too tempting to think of a playoff run with Kupp/OBJ/Robinson/Jefferson as the four WR set.
If rumors are true OBJ is looking for pay equivalent to full salary he’s not being realistic and doesn’t want to play with the Rams bad enough. Again may only be a rumor.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I observed to the wife the other day that "camp is finally here holy F." Her reply: "weren't you just telling me what a quick offseason it is when you win it all?" :beer2::woozy2:

Statistically there's every reason to think some shit will happen to derail the championship repeat. But if there was ever a team that could be expected to pull it off it's this group. IMO it's gonna come down to the defense. If these guys play great defense this team will be very hard to knock out come the playoffs. Our offense might be significantly better this year.

Tano

Legend
I observed to the wife the other day that "camp is finally here holy F." Her reply: "weren't you just telling me what a quick offseason it is when you win it all?" :beer2::woozy2:

Statistically there's every reason to think some shit will happen to derail the championship repeat. But if there was ever a team that could be expected to pull it off it's this group. IMO it's gonna come down to the defense. If these guys play great defense this team will be very hard to knock out come the playoffs. Our offense might be significantly better this year.
I think our defense could be significantly better as well since running backs won't be dragging a linebacker for 5 to 10 yards on every play where they get past the DL and the coverage over the middle should be significantly better as well.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
To me as a ROD member, there is so much less worry about the Oline than last year at this time.
I hope that’s a good thing.

Rams are better placed entering 2022 than they were entering 2021. And they won the SB in 2021.

we are in the mix

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
13. While certain aspects of the Rams' schedule are difficult, the schedule-makers actually did us some favors with respect to the division schedule. For example, our two games against the 49ers fall within the first 8 weeks of the season, meaning we get Trey Lance early when he still may be finding his way. Our second meeting is also at a favorable time, as we will be coming off a bye, while the 49ers will be coming off a tough game against the Chiefs. We also get the Cardinals in the first six weeks, when Deandre Hopkins will be under suspension.
17 games is a looong season. That’s all I keep thinking. If you plan on winning it all, you need good fortune over a haul like that.

#13 here is a good point. If we can play well out of the gate… we have a chance to get some space in the standings, maybe a game or two lead.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Why is our D gonna be better with Bobby Wagner and losing Von Miller?

1) the upgrade over Troy Reeder is significantly greater than the downgrade from Von Miller to Justin Hollins and the platoon at DE

2) even a talent depleted Seahawk team beat the 9ers. How? Wagner shut down all that inside run stuff

3) With Wagner patrolling the middle, the QBs will have to go thru more progressions. Better front to back synergy.

4) Wagner’s inside blitzing is still the best in the NFL

Yes, we will miss Von, but I think Bobby Wagner’s interior presence with Earnest Jones is gonna really change the demeanor of this D to be far more suffocating and give the Offense more chances…

BrooklynRam

Rookie
The only thing I'll question Avenger, and I hope like HELL you're right and I'm wrong, is that "expecting" 5 Division wins seems excessive. Can it be done? Without question. I'd probably take 4-2 but if we overachieve we could do it. Expecting is a BOLD prediction, I'm hoping for it.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only thing I'll question Avenger, and I hope like HELL you're right and I'm wrong, is that "expecting" 5 Division wins seems excessive. Can it be done? Without question. I'd probably take 4-2 but if we overachieve we could do it. Expecting is a BOLD prediction, I'm hoping for it.
I’ll be disappointed if we don’t sweep Arizona and Seattle.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
I’ll be disappointed if we don’t sweep Arizona and Seattle.
Agree on Seattle I guess. Arizona is still tough, seeks Playoff revenge, and handed us our ass last year early. Definitely do-able though, and even if Arizona grabs one from us there's still the chance we sweep San Francisco. I'm thinking the Playoff win and the change from Garoppolo to Lance could reverse the streak they've had on us for 3 years and WE could go on a streak vs them.

dang

Legend
Well. I ate my words last year when I said the Rams need to go 4-2 to earn the NFCW title. One game at a time is the lesson learned but it would be nice to sweep the 69ers.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
17 games is a looong season. That’s all I keep thinking. If you plan on winning it all, you need good fortune over a haul like that.

#13 here is a good point. If we can play well out of the gate… we have a chance to get some space in the standings, maybe a game or two lead.
Agreed. What worries me is that the "easier" part of our schedule comes before the (early IMO) BYE week. It is a straight murderers row after that. It will either sharpen this team or wear them the F out, haha.

Compare that to the Bill schedule and it's pretty much the opposite. They run the gauntlet early and have an easier schedule down the stretch. Not sure which I prefer, but I think I would rather have it a bit easier down the regular season stretch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed. What worries me is that the "easier" part of our schedule comes before the (early IMO) BYE week. It is a straight murderers row after that. It will either sharpen this team or wear them the F out, haha.
Both our Super Bowl seasons under McVay had a midseason stretch where I wondered whether they were good enough. So I do expect this team to maybe hit a period like that. Though hopefully they don"t go a full month without a win like last season.

One other thing is that the opponents need to play the Rams too. Every team with a non-optimum QB situation on our sched is going into the matchup vs the Rams at a significant disadvantage. Which includes divisional opponents.

If ever there was a year for the Rams to sweep the division it is this one. So I expect a 4-2 or better division record.