20 Random Answering the Key Question Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. This week, I’m going to ask the question that I think is the key to evaluating this season…

2. Is this a bad team, or a good team decimated by injuries?

3. SPOILER ALERT: I think it’s the latter.

4. Here’s the key to my analysis: I believe all of our injured players will be back.

5. Franchise QB? Check. Matthew Stafford will be back next year, probably healthier than he was this season, and he has demonstrated his ability to win when it counts.

6. Weapons? Check. Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Van Jefferson and Tyler Higbee are certainly more than adequate for a QB with time.

7. Defensive difference-makers? Check. Aaron Donald, Bobby Wagner, Leonard Floyd (sometimes) and Jalen Ramsey (when locked in).

8. I also see some supporting cast players who can be key, including Rob Havenstein, Greg Gaines, Ernest Jones and Nick Scott.

9. If there’s one benefit of this wind-down period it’s the opportunity for some young players to get some needed reps.

10. On offense, Cam Akers will make or break his future in the next few weeks, and Kyren Williams and Tutu Atwell will get try-outs for roles in 2023.

11. On defense, we’ll test our depth on the DL and in the defensive backfield, and hopefully find some keepers.

12. Are there holes in the roster? No doubt. The OL, in particular. But I think we can make some serious dents in those areas in FA and the draft.

13. So, yes, I do think this is a good team that will turn things around quickly in 2023.

14. As for yesterday… ugh. The real disappointment was seeing the defense again allow a game winning TD in the final minute.

15. Atwell, though, is finally starting to show something. He would have had even more of an impact if John Wolford could throw the ball more than 25 yards.

16. Wagner really deserved a better outcome. He really played his heart out against his old team.

17. Cobie Durant, back healthy, made a couple of nice plays. He’s a guy I’d like to see developed.

18. On the flip side, David Long’s time with the Rams should end with his contract this offseason.

19. Two weeks until I go to Lambeau. Already buying warm clothes.

20. So, there you have it… still hopeful for the future. Seriously… what’s the alternative?

Tano

Legend
I agree with everything if Stafford and Donald come back - that's a big if - and if they can find a healthy left tackle who only gives up 10% of the pressures that Evans gave up

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
1. This week, I’m going to ask the question that I think is the key to evaluating this season…

4. Here’s the key to my analysis: I believe all of our injured players will be back.

5. Franchise QB? Check. Matthew Stafford will be back next year, probably healthier than he was this season, and he has demonstrated his ability to win when it counts.

6. Weapons? Check. Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Van Jefferson and Tyler Higbee are certainly more than adequate for a QB with time.

7. Defensive difference-makers? Check. Aaron Donald, Bobby Wagner, Leonard Floyd (sometimes) and Jalen Ramsey (when locked in).

8. I also see some supporting cast players who can be key, including Rob Havenstein, Greg Gaines, Ernest Jones and Nick Scott.

9. If there’s one benefit of this wind-down period it’s the opportunity for some young players to get some needed reps.

10. On offense, Cam Akers will make or break his future in the next few weeks, and Kyren Williams and Tutu Atwell will get try-outs for roles in 2023.

11. On defense, we’ll test our depth on the DL and in the defensive backfield, and hopefully find some keepers.

12. Are there holes in the roster? No doubt. The OL, in particular. But I think we can make some serious dents in those areas in FA and the draft.

13. So, yes, I do think this is a good team that will turn things around quickly in 2023.

14. As for yesterday… ugh. The real disappointment was seeing the defense again allow a game winning TD in the final minute.

15. Atwell, though, is finally starting to show something. He would have had even more of an impact if John Wolford could throw the ball more than 25 yards.

16. Wagner really deserved a better outcome. He really played his heart out against his old team.

17. Cobie Durant, back healthy, made a couple of nice plays. He’s a guy I’d like to see developed.

18. On the flip side, David Long’s time with the Rams should end with his contract this offseason.

20. So, there you have it… still hopeful for the future. Seriously… what’s the alternative?

Agree with every point.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
10. I do not see Akers back with the Rams regardless of how he plays out the season.

15. Atwell seems to show something every time he GETS A CHANCE!! I hope he gets more looks in the future, and with a decent QB because he has speed to burn and great hands. No idea why McVay hasn't used him...

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
10. I do not see Akers back with the Rams regardless of how he plays ou the season.

15. Atwell seems to show something every time he GETS A CHANCE!! I hope he gets more looks in the future, because he has speed to burn and great hands. No idea why McVay hasn't used him...
No clue here either.

Just keep giving him plays where he can avoid getting hit hard.

And if he needs to slide first - do it.

He had two TD catches yesterday if Wolford threw a better ball, although on the one throw it was possible for Tutu to get his foot down in time. I put that 50% on Wolford's throw and 50% on Tutu not getting his foot down.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Avenger;

As usual, you post a lotta good points to ponder and discuss. I’d like to weigh in on a few, keeping in mind we’re talking from the perspective about a roster capable contending for a title.

#6 Next year could very well be the “going out with a bang” type season for Stafford with a well rested arm and body. Rest nobody got after playing 21 games in 23 weeks the season before. One thing I’ve always felt was critical to the high success rate of Tommy John surgery was accepting the one year sabbatical necessary to heal. Regardless of how serious or recurring Stafford’s elbow issue is, he’s getting a lot of time to rest it. That can’t be a bad thing.

#7 I’m not as impressed with the Rams weapons as most.
Kupp: not too many better in this league.
VJ: he’s a solid #3. If he is your second best WR, you can do better.
Higbee: as a huge supporter and one who was hoping the Rams would draft him in the first place, it saddens me to say that he appears near the end. He was running on heart and fumes down the stretch last year and carried that attitude into this one. Unfortunately, he seems to have also carried that beat up body into this season. Hard to know what the Rams will do with that 2nd rounder, but weapons always trump other needs in this regime; so, if a top TE is available…
Robinson: I was not automatically convinced he would be an upgrade over Woods, and HE WAS NOT. Robinson did not make one play that I hadn’t seen Woods make, but he did fail to make many plays Woods had. To be fair, I don’t think McVay used him properly. Robinson was forced into a role he clearly cannot handle.

#8 Ok, I’m know I’m gonna sound like I’m stuck in negative, but after this it will get better, I swear.
Put Floyd into the same category as Higbee. If a starting caliber edge rusher is there when the Rams pick (not likely)…Floyd might also benefit from a full offseason. I know he was banged up coming in, but he has never looked 100% to me.
Ramsey is still, by a mile, the best CB at setting the edge and defending the run/screen. It’s not even close. It’s the loss of a gear and being outmuscled down the field that’s pushing me more towards the trade talk. He reminds me of a shut down defender in the NBA when they start losing it. They/he has to start clutching, grabbing, holding onto jerseys to keep up. They’re still good in tight, but staying with their man is rough. I know the Rams play a frustrating soft defense, but Ramsey is getting beat down the field…weekly.

#8, 9 supporting cast/ up and comers? Yes. I like what I see. Last night was one of the best games the Rams played all year. If you look at the last 2 games, there’s room for optimism. Howell and Atwell are everything tavon austin was supposed to be. They are fast enough to run by people (Atwell), quick enough to cut through traffic (Howell), and can catch (both).
Jackson and Anchrum could very well be starting guards next year. I believe Noteboom gets another crack.

Defense looks especially promising. Lewis, Long and Rapp are gone—buh bye. Durant and Yeast have impressed when they have had a chance to play. If there’s any kind of development from the pool of front 7 backups, then the Rams will be formidable, if not scary.

I’m not giving everybody a pass, some guys just haven’t played well, but I have to say, I am liking what I’m seeing from the depth/backups the last 2 games. They are busting their ass and playing like they believe they should be starting. I actually look forward to seeing these last few games—regardless of the final score.

Tano

Legend
Ramsey is still, by a mile, the best CB at setting the edge and defending the run/screen. It’s not even close. It’s the loss of a gear and being outmuscled down the field that’s pushing me more towards the trade talk. He reminds me of a shut down defender in the NBA when they start losing it. They/he has to start clutching, grabbing, holding onto jerseys to keep up. They’re still good in tight, but staying with their man is rough. I know the Rams play a frustrating soft defense, but Ramsey is getting beat down the field…weekly.
Exactly why Ramsey should be moved to safety as I posted earlier today if he will allow his ego to accept that position.

I think he would be an awesome safety with a lot of interceptions (if he can hang onto the ball)

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
That's on Morris for not recognizing the strengths of his players.

McVay has stated he relies on his coaches to make the proper assessments on the players in their scheme
That's pretty ominous for Rah. How do you not build your defense around your players' strengths?

Look at the offense in the first half (didn't watch second), we saw lots of jet sweeps and fakes, and getting guys into open space. Why? Because that's the talent we had on the field with @Memento 's Tutu and Powell.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Tutu may be legit. He had a decent game albeit with room for improvement, but I was impressed.

Powell also looked pretty good.

Not sure why Cutch doesn’t seem to be used much after his preseason performance. I did expect more from him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hard to know what the Rams will do with that 2nd rounder, but weapons always trump other needs in this regime; so, if a top TE is available…

True. TE is another spot we need to evaluate hard.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I feel like Atwell could have been doing this all season. one reason it didn't happen is the O has been a dumpster fire and McVay just didn't feel comfortable putting him in more. I think he could have made some big plays, he obviously didn't just learn how to catch and run routes.

The O line next year does concern me. Note is always hurt. The center too. As a whole I think they get pushed around to much and that leads to the injuries. The best lines don't get pushed around, they do the pushing and as a result they don't get mass leg injuries. The mediocre to bad lines tend to have more. I just not so sure anymore about the quality of some of the starters. We definitely need to get a free agent or two.