20 Random 7-3 and Quite a D Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. NOT THIS TIME, TOMMY!!!!

2. JARED GOFF OUTPLAYED TOM BRADY. Say it out loud. Say it to a friend. Say it to random strangers on the street. It just feels good.

3. Goff's performance was far from perfect, but it was kind of great. In some ways, that's more impressive than those flawless nights. Shake off the bad play, drive the team down for the winning kick. Good stuff.

4. At first, I was grumbling about running the ball on 3rd and 8 on the final drive. While I don't necessarily believe that would always be the right call, I get it. Our confidence in the kicking game is shaky, and a sack could have made for a significantly lower percentage kick. Also, by running, we forced the Bucs to use a time out (something an incomplete pass would not have done). So, yes... I get it (and it worked).

5. Let's give it up for the rookie class! TDs from Akers and Jefferson, a nice PD on 3rd down by Lewis and, of course, two big INTs by Fuller.

6. Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods were awesome last night.

7. To the untrained eye, Aaron Donald has been neutralized for the last two weeks. The truth, though, is that the attention he is getting is opening things up for other players, which is why the Rams' defense held two top offenses to well below their scoring average.

8. Plus, its hard to get on the stat sheet when the refs allow this:
hold.jpg

9. It really is a shame that, on a night in which the NFL made a social statement in selecting its officiating crew, that the officiating was so poor.

10. The Rams were penalized 5 times for 67 yards. The Bucs? 2 for 7. All I can say is... please. :rolleyes:

11. The two PIs on Ramsey were particularly frustrating. Its bad enough to miss a call, but both of those were examples of rewarding a player (Evans) for breaking the rules (WRs are NOT allowed to hook and push off DBs, in case you were wondering!)

12. Hope Micah Kiser is okay. He may not be a great player, but he's solid and fills a role.

13. Darious Williams is balling. Didn't know his whole college backstory until last night. Wow.

14. More and more, I'm feeling like we need to find a way to keep John Johnson. I'd feel good about having him and Fuller at the back end for the next few years.

15. Its really remarkable how well this defense has played in the second halves of games. Forcing a 3 and FG after the first INT was HUGE.

16. Matt Gay missed a 44 yard FG, yes... but I felt more confident with his kicks than I did with his predecessors. He also seems to have no trouble with deep kickoffs.

17. Its amazing to see the defense ranked first in yards/game allowed. What is even more impressive is how balanced the run and pass defenses are.

18. You have to give Sean McVay credit for recognizing that it was time to move on from Wade Phillips.

19. While the strength of schedule going forward is tough, the fact that the Rams have 4 of their remaining 6 at home, and all 6 West of the Rocky Mountains, gives us an advantage.

20. Its all in front of us now!

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
The "incomplete pass" by Brady in the endzone last night was exactly the same play that was ruled a fumble by Goff against Pittsburgh last year.

Oh, and, once again, Tom Brady is a sore loser. He leaves the field without shaking hands after a loss because his ego will not allow him to acknowledge that someone beat him. Last night, Goff was by far the better quarterback. He should be glad he was spared sharing the screen with that arrogant, cheating, ... I'll stop now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I actually think for Jerome Boger that was a far better game than usual. He actually picked up some flags which he rarely used to do. Maybe getting his ass reamed by the league behind the scenes has made him smarter idk. What they missed IMO was tons of aggressive contact by the Bucs' wideouts, however Brady is the goat and him getting calls his way is no surprise. Someday hopefully Goff will get that kind of treatment after he wins a few Super Bowls.

Evans gave Ramsey all he could handle. He's really matured as a wideout and their passing game runs through him. If some of those passes had been on target it would have been a rough and atypical night for Jalen. Also if I'm Jalen I'm buyin Johnson a steak dinner for that pass breakup down the right sideline. He dropped the INT but that prevented a likely TD.

Arians (like McVay) has a potential Super Bowl roster. But unlike McVay his insistence on forcing deep passes is limiting the quality of the QB play he gets from Brady. Brady is not a deep ball guy and a career of feasting on short/intermediate routes hasn't really prepped him for taking deep shots and reading the safeties. If Arians wants to have his best shot of getting back to the big game he's going to need to tailor the offense to his QB IMO. We're probably going to play these guys again in the playoffs, and I think they have the best roster in the NFC.

Goff's anticipation of pressure was on point and has been the last two games. We can thank Miami IMO for that ass beating that I think led to them as a unit (QB and the pass catchers) sharpening up their blitz pickup and outlet game and the tempo has been excellent since. What Tampa did was not an easy read for a QB, they were mixing it up and Goff basically read every look just a very impressive game by him and far moreso than the Seahawks game. In those situations it's on him and McVay can't help him, it was all Goff moving the offense and winning us that game but of course all the talk will be about McVay this week in the media.

Our defense has become an elite run stopping unit. What they did to that Tampa run game was impressive. Front to back these guys just ball their asses off so fun to watch. The first run from scrimmage by Tampa seeing Kiser fill downhill like he did was a thing of beauty. Hope he's ok man, because if not we're going to miss him. He's really turned into a good ILB.

SF with two weeks of prep is very dangerous. McVay needs to stop the bleeding with Shanahan and put those fuckers down. It's going to be hard and physical and they're going to do all they can to trip us up and are still dangerous even with the injuries.

oldnotdead

Legend
Tom always gets the call, like the tuck rule. But he's being roasted and rightly so on some of the Buc boards. Primarily since he's only completed one pass over 20 yds but they keep calling those plays even though it's been clear all season he no longer has the arm for it. He's heaving those deep passes not throwing them that's why they are wildly inaccurate. He's ok under 15 yards and he's been reduced to a dink and dunk QB making him vastly overpaid and even after this year they will have a $25M dead cap.

I've heard this from others before the game but hadn't seen it for myself until last night. The dude is done and it's why NE didn't re-sign him. He conned old man Arians into getting $50M for 2 years fully guaranteed. They need to change their entire offense to play dink and dunk. Besides, it's all they can do with that poor o-line.

The Brady era is done complete with the fork in the king turkey himself. Nothing sadder than an over the hill athlete who refuses to accept reality. I'm soooo glad he embarrassed himself on national TV. Karma sucks doesn't it Tom? The Bucs are going to suck this year and next year as well.

An interesting factoid. In the NFL when a team's age average is over 26 it reflects a significant portion of the roster well over 30 years old. The Buc's roster age average increased a year from 2019. The Rams by comparison have remained remarkably stable the past 4 years in the 25 year old range for all 4 years. So for them to be a legitimate contender 2 of those 4 years is equally impressive. In their SB year, their roster averaged 25.5 years old, and in 2020 with an improved roster, it's right at 25 years old.

Why does it matter? It reflects the team's ability to keep its stars with those stars being in the prime of their playing years or in their early contracts.

Even savvy Buc fans can see the reality of their situation. They really can't beat playoff caliber teams. They will likely be one and done even if they make the playoffs. The Rams did more than beat Brady, they broke a lot of their fanbase at the same time. They can no longer say the Saint game was an aberration. The Rams gave them ample opportunity to win and they still lost.

If there is a downside to the Ram's win it's exactly that. They are still their own worst enemy and they won simply because they were playing an over the hill QB who can no longer throw deep and an opposing OC who seems not to know it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As impressive as last night's win is, I still don't feel as this team has played fully up to its potential, at least on O. Outside of the Philly game, I don't think there's one game where the O put it together from start to finish without any major lulls or screw-ups by either players or coaches.

Now lest you think I'm being pessimistic, it's actually the opposite - if our O can get to a point of being consistent for four quarters like our D* can, this team is going to be really hard to beat. Basically, I don't think we've seen the Rams play fully up to their talent level on offense yet ... if they do, holy shit this team will be good.

* and despite the score last night, they were - two of the Bucs TD drives were gifted to them by Booger and friends.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

2. JARED GOFF OUTPLAYED TOM BRADY. Say it out loud. Say it to a friend. Say it to random strangers on the street. It just feels good.

3. Goff's performance was far from perfect, but it was kind of great. In some ways, that's more impressive than those flawless nights. Shake off the bad play, drive the team down for the winning kick. Good stuff.

4. At first, I was grumbling about running the ball on 3rd and 8 on the final drive. While I don't necessarily believe that would always be the right call, I get it. Our confidence in the kicking game is shaky, and a sack could have made for a significantly lower percentage kick. Also, by running, we forced the Bucs to use a time out (something an incomplete pass would not have done). So, yes... I get it (and it worked).

5. Let's give it up for the rookie class! TDs from Akers and Jefferson, a nice PD on 3rd down by Lewis and, of course, two big INTs by Fuller.

7. To the untrained eye, Aaron Donald has been neutralized for the last two weeks. The truth, though, is that the attention he is getting is opening things up for other players, which is why the Rams' defense held two top offenses to well below their scoring average.

hold.jpg

9. It really is a shame that, on a night in which the NFL made a social statement in selecting its officiating crew, that the officiating was so poor.

10. The Rams were penalized 5 times for 67 yards. The Bucs? 2 for 7. All I can say is... please. :rolleyes:

11. The two PIs on Ramsey were particularly frustrating. Its bad enough to miss a call, but both of those were examples of rewarding a player (Evans) for breaking the rules (WRs are NOT allowed to hook and push off DBs, in case you were wondering!)

12. Hope Micah Kiser is okay. He may not be a great player, but he's solid and fills a role.

13. Darious Williams is balling. Didn't know his whole college backstory until last night. Wow.

14. More and more, I'm feeling like we need to find a way to keep John Johnson. I'd feel good about having him and Fuller at the back end for the next few years.

15. Its really remarkable how well this defense has played in the second halves of games. Forcing a 3 and FG after the first INT was HUGE.

16. Matt Gay missed a 44 yard FG, yes... but I felt more confident with his kicks than I did with his predecessors. He also seems to have no trouble with deep kickoffs.

17. Its amazing to see the defense ranked first in yards/game allowed. What is even more impressive is how balanced the run and pass defenses are.

18. You have to give Sean McVay credit for recognizing that it was time to move on from Wade Phillips.

19. While the strength of schedule going forward is tough, the fact that the Rams have 4 of their remaining 6 at home, and all 6 West of the Rocky Mountains, gives us an advantage.

#9 hits for me. I'm mixed and most of my fam is black or mixed.

I thought pre-game it was very cool to participate in such a game.

aaaaaand, then the game started.

What a shit performance. Iffy spots, TERRIBLE PI calls, early whistles...etc... swallowing the whistles on OBVIOUS holding calls against us, esp AD... Just a garbage performance.

Thankfully (or at least I hope this isn't the case), there won't be any guilt by association with this crew's performance, but damn it was bad.

I've seen fixed games (NBA basketball) during the Jordan era when you couldn't breathe on him without getting a foul and they were better refereed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Goff's performance was far from perfect, but it was kind of great. In some ways, that's more impressive than those flawless nights. Shake off the bad play, drive the team down for the winning kick. Good stuff.

When all is said and done, this might be signature Goff, i.e. one of the things we remember about him. He fluffs off bad plays as good as the best.

Matt Gay missed a 44 yard FG, yes... but I felt more confident with his kicks than I did with his predecessors. He also seems to have no trouble with deep kickoffs.

Ditto. He kicks with authority. That gives me a lot of confidence too... and truthfully a little extra rope having clubs in the bag to bury kickoffs and the Hail Mary FG.

Goff's anticipation of pressure was on point and has been the last two games. We can thank Miami IMO for that ass beating that I think led to them as a unit (QB and the pass catchers) sharpening up their blitz pickup and outlet game and the tempo has been excellent since.

It does seem like we are stronger in this area, likely a result of that as you say.

He conned old man Arians into getting $50M for 2 years

Did anyone see his post game presser?

I find Arians to be very candid about a lot of things, and he did not hold back in critique of Tom’s “bad throws” as he called them. LOL

———

Also.... Anyone notice this?.... Remember the play where the Rams were acting as if they recovered a touched ball fumble on a Hekker punt?.... All of the players were “faking it” except McVay.

LOL. I snapped a pic. He was telling the ref it was not a fumble. It was funny, if I remember it right... all the players were jumping around and McVay is like.... “nooooo”. “That’s not a fumble”. LOL

E2F63D02-999E-46B7-9E9A-EF1B6B1D3B8E.jpeg

Also... this play infuriated me. I LOVE WOODS.... but had he went for the 1st down line I think he gets it. Instead he jukes, gets stopped 2 yards short! Next play we run for no gain. This ended up being Gay’s missed FG.

If Woods gets the first there... we get closer and likely points.

Usually Woods is great at YAC..... so he deserves some rope, but he missed this one, IMO.

Here is right after he catches the ball. Go to the sticks!

6586DA7C-AF8F-4908-80B5-3B2DD80C1418.jpeg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When all is said and done, this might be signature Goff, i.e. one of the things we remember about him. He fluffs off bad plays as good as the best.

Ditto. He kicks with authority. That gives me a lot of confidence too... and truthfully a little extra rope having clubs in the bag to bury kickoffs and the Hail Mary FG.

It does seem like we are stronger in this area, likely a result of that as you say.

I find Arians to be very candid about a lot of things, and he did not hold back in critique of Tom’s “bad throws” as he called them. LOL

———

Also.... Anyone notice this?.... Remember the play where the Rams were acting as if they recovered a touched ball fumble on a Hekker punt?.... All of the players were “faking it” except McVay.

LOL. I snapped a pic. He was telling the ref it was not a fumble. It was funny, if I remember it right... all the players were jumping around and McVay is like.... “nooooo”. “That’s not a fumble”. LOL

View attachment 41307

Also... this play infuriated me. I LOVE WOODS.... but had he went for the 1st down line I think he gets it. Instead he jukes, gets stopped 2 yards short! Next play we run for no gain. This ended up being Gay’s missed FG.

Usually Woods is great at YAC..... so he deserves some rope, but he missed this one, IMO.

View attachment 41308
Woods hater!

TexasRam

Legend

———

View attachment 41307

View attachment 41308

Yea Mcvay is like that kid at school that stands up and announces to the teacher that everyone cheated on the test, right after the teacher tells the class how impressed he was at how well they did on the test.

Fricken Mcvay :LOL:

Regarding Woods, If it was anyone else you best believe I would be ripping them a new one on this board all week long. He definitely gets a long rope due to his very rare brain farts and overall awesomeness.

Flint

Pro Bowler

hold.jpg

1. Yeah, but when they got the ball we were all thinking “oh shit!”
2. He doesn’t get much credit but despite his gangly appearance Goff’s got a live arm, and Brady’s even slower now so anything other than sliding in the pocket is risky.
4. Goff was nails but I still feel like they’re leaving points on the field.
5. Very impressive byLes and the staff.
6. I wish Rob would’ve taken that to the house, I think that’s why they get overlooked, lack of big play tds.
7. some of these guys act like Morgan Fox gets to Brady without AD attracting 3 guy’s attention. Maybe AD is like Shaq the refs think he’s so good they would be like throwing flags every down.
9. I thought the deal was to let the play continue and then review it?
11. Evans was pretty savvy, I didn’t see the pushing off at first look.
13. Except trying to bring down Evans, it was like playing with the nieces and nephews on thanksgiving.
14. Never doubt Snead’s abilities.
16. pretty sad that I was cheering touchbacks and kicks that look like nfl kicks.
17. This defense is loaded with rookies who can hopefully get even better
18. Wonder if he knew staley was his guy and had to make a move before someone else did. I hope he stays one more year to really dial it in.
19. 4 of these games are division and right now they look like the most complete team.