2 Big Fish caught today... Videos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The last two months have sucked for fishing off-shore. Big seas or it's just been too cold.

When we can't go out and fish in the blue water, my twins aren't deterred. They take their kayaks out in the lake behind our house and fish from before daylight till after dark. They are happy catching anything. Today they took a couple of vids on their phones of a some pretty big bass they drug in. The bass are starting to bed here in FL.

When these little shits aren't raiding the reefs, they're sight fishing the bass on their beds. These are 2 different fish, both are nice bass by most peeps standards. We always release the bass...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEYfkrXb7Cw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHBay5J15g[/youtube]

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Dang! I don't believe I've ever caught one that big! Tell those little shits to kiss my butt!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL Bo. I'll tell them.

The one in the first video was about 7 pounds, the other one was almost 8. My twins are always in a competition,,, always. They have a very expensive scale they use on every fish just to make sure the winner is properly given credit.

They are on a mission to catch a 10+ pounder. I know many fisherman who have caught just about all of the trophy fish including "The Man In The Blue Suit" (blue marlin),,, but have never been lucky enough to land that 10 pound bass. It's harder than people think.

My boys are used to catching much bigger fish than bass,,, much much bigger, so it's kinda funny watching them drag these lunker bass up on the shore in just a few seconds.

They are happy catching ANYTHING though. Even bait. BTW, so am I.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thanks for sharing. Nice job!

I caught a lunker back in the day. My bait of choice was always a black plastic worm with a bullet weight on top the hook.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Very nice. In all my years of fishing, I think the biggest I ever caught was a 4-lb. Rainbow and a 3-lb. Brown. Always catch and release.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nice. The only place I used to catch bass like that was at a farmer's private pond some 25 years ago. It was kind of easy though as there was absolutely NO pressure. The farmer made us throw back anything over 5 pounds and we had to keep anything smaller. Amazing how many small bass threw the hook. :sly:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow Montana , I would have thought the wide west up there would have much bigger fish than that. My boys always release the bass, although they will keep one that is 10+ pounds if they ever get lucky (so they can get it mounted , skin mount). They do keep a bunch of specs (crappie) a couple of times during the winter to give to their Grandpa on their mother's side. They fry up nicely.

In the salt water we catch and release directly into the fish box. :hehe:

Hey Stu ...
There have been many 12+ pound bass caught in our lake. Its not stocked either. One old-timer caught a 14 pound + fish he got mounted just last summer.

The light spinning outfit you see one of my boys using in that video was the exact same rod he has used to catch some 250+ pound sharks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man I haven't been bass fishing in forever. That's all we used to do as kids. Just ride our bikes around looking for canals or anywhere we could drown a worm. The best place we found was WAY out west in the Everglades at this one little out of the way spot that 2 canals converged and it had a huge tree that fell partway into the water. Some fucking monsters under that tree, I'll tell ya.

Best I had was an 11 pounder - but she was all kinds of pregnant.
Had to throw her back of course, but it was a great fight.

Nice job by your boys there. Even though they don't seem to notice, those are nice hauls.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
God DAMN!

There aren't many things I love more than bass fishing. Going stir crazy waiting for the ice to melt up here in ND/MN so we can get the boat out. Can't catch anything bigger than 5lbs up here though, cold weather doesn't really allow for it.

Almost had a fishing trip hooked up while the wife and I were on honey moon in FL last summer, but it fell through. I will be back to stake out a monster though, bank on that! Plus me and a buddy always talk about trying to find Peacock Bass...I've been lead to believe you guys have those down there now, right?

Either way, cheer to you and yours for catching some killer looking buckets! :cheers:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
To catch the peacock bass you'll need to be in South FL. The freeze line (around West Palm Beach) and south is where you can find those guys. It still gets too cold a few days of the year sometimes here in Orlando for them to survive. Very cool looking freshwater fish from South America that got introduced here and has managed to survive in the tropical part of the state.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
Wow Montana , I would have thought the wide west up there would have much bigger fish than that. My boys always release the bass, although they will keep one that is 10+ pounds if they ever get lucky (so they can get it mounted , skin mount). They do keep a bunch of specs (crappie) a couple of times during the winter to give to their Grandpa on their mother's side. They fry up nicely.

In the salt water we catch and release directly into the fish box. :hehe:

Hey Stu ...
There have been many 12+ pound bass caught in our lake. Its not stocked either. One old-timer caught a 14 pound + fish he got mounted just last summer.

The light spinning outfit you see one of my boys using in that video was the exact same rod he has used to catch some 250+ pound sharks.

Cool deal. Especially on the light gear for big fish. Love it. My favorite steelhead rod is a little 7' light spinning rod. I just love playing a 8 - 12 pound Steelie on essentially a trout rod.

So how effing long does it take to reel in a 250 pound shark on that little set-up? I've caught lots of sharks but not on gear like that. Do you just tell him to wake you when he's done?

I hooked into a very large sturgeon once while salmon fishing. That was a medium heavy level wind set-up and after 45 minutes I still couldn't turn him or lift his nose. Finally I just pointed the tip at him and pulled back so when he broke off, I at least got most of my line back. Had fun with him for a while though. He rolled for us and all we could do was gasp. Fucker was HUGE. He was roughly 10 feet long which would make him somewhere between 700 and 850 pounds. He just decided to find a hole and sit on the bottom. There was no moving him. It got comical really. We just started handing the pole around to see if anyone could get him to do ANYTHING. Banjo-ing the line, giving slack, jerking it.... all those things that piss a fish off didn't phase him one bit.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Got a video here of the same little shit twin that reeled in that bass using that same spinning set-up on a 200 pound nurse shark.

Most of it's underwater with the other twin using his go-pro. Towards the end you'll see above water and be able to tell that he's using the spinning rig. You can see my fat ass too (fucking round lens is rough on my gut) :sly:

This is a beach in the Bahamas where we clean our catch everyday. Beach the boat and start pouring cocktails. Sharks of all kinds come in for the scraps. Easy to get some hook-ups while catching an evening buzz. We've caught some big bull sharks (600 pounders) right there many times,,, just not with the spinning rigs. You can see what sharks are coming in so you know what to use. We always try and use light gear on big fish.

The water is a lot clearer than the video makes it look,,, it was late in the day though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSOtELXbps[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
You can see my fat ass too (fucking round lens is rough on my gut) :sly:

Yeah... SURE it is. :lmao:

Seriously though... looks like a kick in the ass. And cocktails, board shorts, and bikinis while catching a couple sharks? Sign me up. Most of my fishing is done when it's butt ass cold out.