2-1 Record & fixing this team's physicality

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting...@BonifayRam, who would replace on the line?

Our starting center (who is presently injured) John Sullivan was Spencer Long's back up in 2016. Long has been the Skins starting center since 2015. Long who McVay knows well is 6-5 320 pounds would provide a long term answer @ OC.

Shawn Lauvao is much like John Sullivan where he has had many surgeries in his 8 NFL seasons He will be 30 next season. His injury history is on par with Saffold's. Shawn Lauvao can play either of the OG positions. He is healthy @ the moment & we can see the results. I would not give Lauvao a long term contract though.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The defense is in shambles right now. The question is whether it can be fixed or if this is the talent level we'll have to live w/ for this season. Just how much improvement can be expected from some of these guys?

Injuries are not helping an underwhelming secondary. Do we really have any idea if Webster is gonna be any good? Despite my concerns over moving Joyner to FS, he might be the best defensive player to date--now he's hurt.

I am really concerned w/ our LB corps. The good news for me is that I see a talented young group that should make a difference EVENTUALLY. The problem right now is guys like OTree and Quinn are struggling.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Special teams did not do the team any favors Thursday. The Ram lost 4 possessions because of special teams, which hurt a tired struggling defense with unfavorable field position, momentum, and helped flip the time of possession into SF's favor. They had the Cooper fumble, the Tavon muffed punt, the offsides penalty, and they lost an onside kick. Plus the offense started another possession on the 2 yard line because of the strange double penalty rule. The Rams would have been better off not returning kickoffs Thursday night.

I think some of the Rams defensive problems are correctable but some are not. Against SF and Washington the Rams defense faced two offensive minded head coaches that know how to exploit matchups and defensive mistakes. Factor that in with the fact that the Rams D still appears to be adjusting to the system on a short week with four special teams turnovers and the voilĂ  the defense gives up 39 points.

The SF definitely game exposed the Rams lack of depth in the secondary, especially at corner (which most of us were already worried about) but the pass rush is also not as strong as it has been in the past. The run defense did improve against SF but they still got pushed around some.

I expect Donald to continue to ascend back to his dominate self and I also expect Ogletree and Barron will get better with familiarity in the system but I am not sure they really are a ideal fits for Wade's 3-4 scheme. This season is really an audition for the defensive players to see who will stick around next year. Joyner, Ogletree, Alexander, Davis, Johnson, Coleman, and Barwin will all be free agents plus Barron and Quinn could be cap cuts if they cannot play up to their contracts.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It's to be expected for a Defense to struggle when you completely change the scheme and add some new pieces to mix. I think it was a mistake not to play those guys during the preseason. But I'm not HC or DC so I'm not gonna sit here and act like I know whats best.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And SF O looked like maybe the worst in the league until they played the Rams.
Seattles D line is nasty. Our D has to show up that game. I honestly expect a loss in Dallas given the D struggles and winning would mean winning back to back road games....a rarity in the NFL.
Seattle is winnable game. Big challenge for the O line.

Both games are "winnable" for this year's team. The Dallas matchup looks rough, but if the defense can correct their mistakes they should be able to keep the points against down, and they'll be very much in it. Seattle is a team you can't spot easy points, because if you do you're gonna lose. Those two games just require the defense to play better and the offense to continue doing what they have been doing, neither of which is outside the realm of reason.

Not going to put money on Rams @ Dallas or anything, but I'm hopeful that it turns out to be a nice statement game for the Rams. EDIT: Ok I put money on Rams @ Dallas, they'd better show up!!! :D

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our starting center (who is presently injured) John Sullivan was Spencer Long's back up in 2016. Long has been the Skins starting center since 2015. Long who McVay knows well is 6-5 320 pounds would provide a long term answer @ OC.

I haven't watched all his snaps or anything but from what I've seen Long is playing lights out. And it's the same system. So yeah, IF they let him hit FA, which I seriously doubt, then I have to think that not only are the Rams interested but that he'd be looking at us as well.

Here's hoping the Skins let him go like they did their wideouts. And btw speaking of the Skins' wideouts, if they don't start getting better play from them that offense might not be able to keep rolling like they have. Gruden's been putting on clinics in gameplanning, but at some point in this league weaknesses get exposed and teams will tighten up that run game production that's been carrying them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The defense is in shambles right now. The question is whether it can be fixed or if this is the talent level we'll have to live w/ for this season. Just how much improvement can be expected from some of these guys?

Injuries are not helping an underwhelming secondary. Do we really have any idea if Webster is gonna be any good? Despite my concerns over moving Joyner to FS, he might be the best defensive player to date--now he's hurt.

I am really concerned w/ our LB corps. The good news for me is that I see a talented young group that should make a difference EVENTUALLY. The problem right now is guys like Tree and Quinn are struggling.

Our 2016 "D" vs the 2017 "D" :thinking:. Snead/McVay moved on on several starters like LDE Wm Hayes, RDE Eugene Sims & back up NT Cam Thomas, LB'er Josh Forrest & Nic Grisgby, starter TJ McDonald, M.Jordan & M. Jordan. None of these former Rams were all pro's or NFL stars. The best of the above would be SS TJ McDonald.

The 2017 DL front has 7 returns with only 1 major injury to top interior reserve D.Easley. Easley's spot was taken by veteran Tyrunn Walker & rookie Tanzel Smart. The interior DL'ers are basically the same core cadre with Brockers, Donald, Westbrooks & Fox.This DL should be a big strength:sadwalk:.

The 2017 DB lost only 2 starters in McDonald & Gaines plus reserve M.Jordan. This is minor losses. 2017 DB retained 3 starters (Alexander/ Johnson & Joyner) with 5 reserves of Davis , T.Hill, Isaiah Johnson Countess, Christian, total of 8 DB's. Additions were Webster, NRC, John Johnson & Hatfield. This DB is basically the same with overall better talent with only Mo Alexander suffering a drop off of performance.

The late 2016 starting LB'ing core of Tree, Barron & Littleton with top reserve Hager were retained. Additions of Quinn/ Barwin/ Longacre/ Ebukam, Price & Thompson should be major upgrades to this LB'ing unit. But we have seen a serious drop off of on field performance in 3 former first rd selections. Barron & Quinn would be easy targets to address quickly if desired.

This LB'ing edge needs addressing now by Wade. I would start with Right outside Edge rusher & demote Quinn on probable run downs. Its clearly apparent Rob Quinn's skills are in a steep arduous decline & has been since the end of the 2014 season. RQ is a major liability & exposed on run defense & can not press to his left on rushing the pocket in passing downs. I would move Quinn behind Barwin & use him in passing downs. See if Quinn's back can press to the right. Let Longacre/Ebukam/Price get work on the right side.

The interior LB'ing core could stand more of Littleton on run downs over Barron who is still playing well in pass coverage defense. Littleton is an ascending player at the moment.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've relaxed about our D a little bit after a few days contemplation.

For one thing, our run D was acceptable vs the Niners, so that definitely got addressed.

For another, we should ask ourselves how many points were surrendered due to the two ST turnovers, plus the offside penalties against both Quinn and Countess that kept drives alive which resulted in Niner scores. And fewer snaps for Goff and his O crew.

10 points?
13 points?
17 points?
More?

My point here is that if those were taken off the board, then this wouldn't have been a close game at all.

IOW, we might be better off Defensively than the scoreboard would indicate. IF we can correct those stupid mistakes moving forward, that is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've relaxed about our D a little bit after a few days contemplation.

For one thing, our run D was acceptable vs the Niners, so that definitely got addressed.

For another, we should ask ourselves how many points were surrendered due to the two ST turnovers, plus the offside penalties against both Quinn and Countess that kept drives alive which resulted in Niner scores. And fewer snaps for Goff and his O crew.

10 points?
13 points?
17 points?
More?

My point here is that if those were taken off the board, then this wouldn't have been a close game at all.

IOW, we might be better off Defensively than the scoreboard would indicate. IF we can correct those stupid mistakes moving forward, that is.

Nice to see you come around 43, and you're at your best when keeping it positive!

We're gonna know here in a couple weeks. If the defense doesn't improve this team will be 2-3. If they do, we'll be 3-2 or maybe even 4-1. I suspect that chances are they'll win one of the next two, but what the hell I'll take both as Ws if necessary. :p

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm not one to bemoan over losing former players, but I think this D really could used TJ Mac. The guy brought physicality, especially against the run, and I think the D fed off of it. I like Mo, but as of late he seems to be out of position often, and when he is in position to make a tackle he whiffs. I don't know if it's a nagging injury or the fear of injury but it kinda looks like he's hesitant to make contact. Of course my point is useless because TJ is suspended until week 8.

Its still early in the season, I think by week 6-8 is when the D will fully have acclimated to the new system. Until then hopefully the offense can put up enough points and the D can limit opposing teams enough to win a few by then. I think the Rams take the division this season. I was cautiously optimistic in the off-season, now I'm all in.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So looking ahead at a Dallas running game that downright terrifies me personally
Should be a great test for the defense.....but I expect a shootout....this game will be huge for Cowboys. I expect them to lose tonight....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They need a thumper at ILB but I don't know where they find one now .
I know one who fits that description. Eagles just lost a multi purpose offensive weapon Darren Sproles to IR. Maybe a Tavon Austin for Mychal Kendricks trade would work. ML has been a excellent 34 ILB'er problem is the Eagles play a 43 "D" this season.

If not I would try to help out Rob Quinn who has been unable to fit himself in the Wade 34 "D". Ogletree & Kendricks would be a good size duo inside. With Tree being a UFA in March maybe Kendricks would provide some serious insurance & is a better fit than Mark Barron has been in the first 3 gms with Ogletree. The problem is ML would come @ a high salary cap cost $$. But half the price of a Quinn or a Austin.
https://overthecap.com/player/mychal-kendricks/770

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7509/mychal-kendricks

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...l-kendricks-patriots-new-england-philadelphia

https://section215.com/2017/09/23/philadelphia-eagles-make-mychal-kendricks-hot-start/

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Our 2016 "D" vs the 2017 "D" :thinking:. Snead/McVay moved on on several starters like LDE Wm Hayes, RDE Eugene Sims & back up NT Cam Thomas, LB'er Josh Forrest & Nic Grisgby, starter TJ McDonald, M.Jordan & M. Jordan. None of these former Rams were all pro's or NFL stars. The best of the above would be SS TJ McDonald.

The 2017 DL front has 7 returns with only 1 major injury to top interior reserve D.Easley. Easley's spot was taken by veteran Tyrunn Walker & rookie Tanzel Smart. The interior DL'ers are basically the same core cadre with Brockers, Donald, Westbrooks & Fox.This DL should be a big strength:sadwalk:.

The 2017 DB lost only 2 starters in McDonald & Gaines plus reserve M.Jordan. This is minor losses. 2017 DB retained 3 starters (Alexander/ Johnson & Joyner) with 5 reserves of Davis , T.Hill, Isaiah Johnson Countess, Christian, total of 8 DB's. Additions were Webster, NRC, John Johnson & Hatfield. This DB is basically the same with overall better talent with only Mo Alexander suffering a drop off of performance.

The late 2016 starting LB'ing core of Tree, Barron & Littleton with top reserve Hager were retained. Additions of Quinn/ Barwin/ Longacre/ Ebukam, Price & Thompson should be major upgrades to this LB'ing unit. But we have seen a serious drop off of on field performance in 3 former first rd selections. Barron & Quinn would be easy targets to address quickly if desired.

This LB'ing edge needs addressing now by Wade. I would start with Right outside Edge rusher & demote Quinn on probable run downs. Its clearly apparent Rob Quinn's skills are in a steep arduous decline & has been since the end of the 2014 season. RQ is a major liability & exposed on run defense & can not press to his left on rushing the pocket in passing downs. I would move Quinn behind Barwin & use him in passing downs. See if Quinn's back can press to the right. Let Longacre/Ebukam/Price get work on the right side.

The interior LB'ing core could stand more of Littleton on run downs over Barron who is still playing well in pass coverage defense. Littleton is an ascending player at the moment.

With all due respect, I think you are being generous.
Re the guys playing new positions, only Joyner has played well. The main reason for that is WP recognizes that Joyner was the top cover corner in the slot last year and is used that way as much as possible when an extra DB is on the field.

Depth is where the DL (and nowOLB) is hurting this team. Not enough pressure and getting blown up on the run plays. It was the depth of the rotational players that made the front seven good the last few years. Guys who used to only get snaps as extras or due to injuries are now playing more significant roles. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. I know Longacre is getting more snaps at Quinn's expense.

The good news is those young players you mentioned. Guys like Smart, Littleton, and throw in Ekuban and JJohnson. I have no doubt they will be key by next year, but the sooner they come around this year and start getting more snaps, the better this team will be.
I see THOSE guys as more of the future of this defense than a few of the entrenched starters out there right now.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Looking at the game result on Thursday night, they surprising did show improvement believe it or not vs the run, to the tune of holding Hyde to under 100 yards at a 3.4 ypc clip. It was of course the passing game that let them down, along with a long list of dumb moves by players.

Pretty sure that has a lot more to do with more players being positioned near the line of scrimmage to nullify Hyde; it's understandable considering that Chris Thompson looked like an all pro against our defense. Hoping the linebackers step up so they react better at shedding tackles further away from the LOS while giving deceptive looks to opposing QBs.

I expect more linebackers to be near the line of scrimmage to mitigate Zeke from gashing yards but that's going to leave our secondary susceptible to big plays from Bryant, Williams, and Witten; hope our secondary is ready to step up, that's a good receiving core

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With all due respect, I think you are being generous.
Re the guys playing new positions, only Joyner has played well. The main reason for that is WP recognizes that Joyner was the top cover corner in the slot last year and is used that way as much as possible when an extra DB is on the field.

Depth is where the DL (and nowOLB) is hurting this team. Not enough pressure and getting blown up on the run plays. It was the depth of the rotational players that made the front seven good the last few years. Guys who used to only get snaps as extras or due to injuries are now playing more significant roles. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. I know Longacre is getting more snaps at Quinn's expense.

The good news is those young players you mentioned. Guys like Smart, Littleton, and throw in Ekuban and JJohnson. I have no doubt they will be key by next year, but the sooner they come around this year and start getting more snaps, the better this team will be.
I see THOSE guys as more of the future of this defense than a few of the entrenched starters out there right now.
Thats good I understand..... usually I have been advised that I am way too harsh in my opinions on Ram players i.e Quinn & Alexander....

The main area where I will disagree with you fully on DL depth.