1985 Rams (impressions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Been watching the whole season game by game (done with 9).

Here are some impressions I had:
Dickerson had injuries pretty much the whole year after the Seattle game. He had a 3.7 carry avg through 9 games. He looked good, but was missing something.
The defense played very very well agains the run, and the corners and safeties were great. Leroy Irvin was so good, it surprised me.
The trade for Tony Hunter was a good one. WHat happened to him...he was looking great, and he was only in his 3-4th year I think....why wasn't he on the team in 1988?
Dieter Brock has such a bad reputation, but I am not sure he was the problem. Man, he could throw, and he was a tough, little guy.

The Corners were awesome.

And Robinson got the first (?) basketball player who never played football in college to convert---James McDonald....looked good.

The Rams O line was in flux a bit with Dennish Harrah being out until week 9. The pass blocking did not look good or organized most of the games....especially against mediocre teams.

I think the Rams had a high school offense; when Brock had time he was ok. I trust announcers like Dick Vermiel more than I trust 'us' fans.....he loved Brock, and so did all the other announcers.

In general, I have watched 40+ games from 1985, and to me that was the year the whole league changed a lot (for the better); almost all the teams had professional passing attacks....and you can see it week in and week out--except for the Rams. Though the Rams went to the NFC champ game, they were not going to beat the Bears with that offense. The defense was more than good enough.....I have about 12+ games a year from 1983 to 1989 on Video (16+ in some years) if anyone wants them....just send me an email and I will send via Pcloud.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dieter Brock was never a problem

That '85 Chicago Defense was simply the best in NFL History

Totally disagree, Brock could not hit the slant to Ron Brown who would have run for days. Brock was over the hill at that point and kept getting his passes knocked down at the LOS. The Ram defense was just as good as the Bear defense, however, the difference was Jim McMahon was far superior to Brock that day and IMHO Robinson should have put in Jeff Kemp for his ability to run and maybe he could have completed a slant pattern at the very minimum.

1985-bear-dan-hampton-nfc-championship-game.jpg

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
How are you watching these games? I realized I'm missing some Greatest Show on Turf Season and wish I had those.
2000-2003

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i trade dvds with "professional"....so i have about 2 TBs of Ram games...about 350 i think. send yo email

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah... I don't know about that. Those 85 Bears were one of the best of all time.

Check the Rams stats in 1985 they were rated 4th overall and the Bears were first and the Bears only had five more sacks and they gave up the same amount of yards per play. The Ram defense did not lose that came, Bears scored on turnovers because Brock fumbled and threw picks...Overall yes some will contend the best defense of all time, but that Rams defense was right up there and had shut out the Cowboys the week before 20-0! And BTW Brock sucked in that game too.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Brock might have been a favorite with the announcers, but he didn't seem to be all that and a bag of chips for most teams in the league...I've always thought he got trashed too much, but I was never real impressed either..

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I hated Brock even more than my complete hate for Bulger... and that's almost impossible. :LOL: But I wanted to choke Brock with my bare hands back then.

Maybe you guys remember this from last preseason... Dickerson was watching Goff warm up and said to someone standing next to him (pretty sure it was one of his old teammates), "Damn, if we had a QB like that back in 85... we probably have a ring right now". He and the other guy had a big laugh about that too. That shit is true!!!

Anyway... that bear defense, the freezing ass cold weather, and Brock were what stopped us in that NFC Championship game. It fucking sucked.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally disagree, Brock could not hit the slant to Ron Brown who would have run for days. Brock was over the hill at that point and kept getting his passes knocked down at the LOS. The Ram defense was just as good as the Bear defense, however, the difference was Jim McMahon was far superior to Brock that day and IMHO Robinson should have put in Jeff Kemp for his ability to run and maybe he could have completed a slant pattern at the very minimum.

1985-bear-dan-hampton-nfc-championship-game.jpg
Brock would have had to have been 16 feet tall to have not had that pass batted down.
Jeff Kemp was just as short and was a terrible passer BTW

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Brock was 6 foot or under but had a rocket of an arm like could throw the ball 95+ yards in the air.
Possibly the strongest arm the NFL had ever seen. He used to throw a weighted ball 70 yards.
His issue was accuracy, even though he set the Rams accuracy record at the time.
Was he better than Kemp? I think so. But they traded for Everett the next year and Brock was gone.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Been watching the whole season game by game (done with 9).

Here are some impressions I had:
Dickerson had injuries pretty much the whole year after the Seattle game. He had a 3.7 carry avg through 9 games. He looked good, but was missing something.
The defense played very very well agains the run, and the corners and safeties were great. Leroy Irvin was so good, it surprised me.
The trade for Tony Hunter was a good one. WHat happened to him...he was looking great, and he was only in his 3-4th year I think....why wasn't he on the team in 1988?
Dieter Brock has such a bad reputation, but I am not sure he was the problem. Man, he could throw, and he was a tough, little guy.

The Corners were awesome.

And Robinson got the first (?) basketball player who never played football in college to convert---James McDonald....looked good.

The Rams O line was in flux a bit with Dennish Harrah being out until week 9. The pass blocking did not look good or organized most of the games....especially against mediocre teams.

I think the Rams had a high school offense; when Brock had time he was ok. I trust announcers like Dick Vermiel more than I trust 'us' fans.....he loved Brock, and so did all the other announcers.

In general, I have watched 40+ games from 1985, and to me that was the year the whole league changed a lot (for the better); almost all the teams had professional passing attacks....and you can see it week in and week out--except for the Rams. Though the Rams went to the NFC champ game, they were not going to beat the Bears with that offense. The defense was more than good enough.....I have about 12+ games a year from 1983 to 1989 on Video (16+ in some years) if anyone wants them....just send me an email and I will send via Pcloud.
Considering the Rams Won there Division and made it to the NFC Championship game ( and then had to play Da '85 Bears!) I would call it a successful year!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Just know... it's not directed at you. Hahaha

And you NEVER actually need a reason to start drinking early... just the opportunity. :cheers:

Yeah but you don't want to be drinking "sadness beers" :LOL:

But i need suds to cleanse the palette after hearing the suggesting that Jeff Kemp should have replaced Brock.
:puke:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jeff Kemp was just as short and was a terrible passer BTW

Somewhat true, Jeff was a couple inches taller and could move within the pocket, so, IMHO, that would have given him more of a chance and keep in mind the Rams did not bring back Brock in 86 and that was due to his very poor post season performance.

6-22 for 50 yards and one pick against Dallas & 10-31 for 66 yards and a pick against the Bears.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, Talkink about the '85 Rams. This was their Starting Line-Up:
SKILL POSITIONS;
** QB- Dieter Brock
** RB- Eic Dickerson
** WR- Ron Brown
** WR- Henry Ellard
** TE- David Hill
** TE- Tony Hunter

O-LINE:
** LT- Irv Panky
** LG- Kent Hill
** C- Doug Smith
** RG- Dennis Harrah
** RT- Jackie Slater

In 1985 the Rams Ran a 3-4 "D":
** LDE- Doug Reed
** NT- Charles DeJurnett
** RDE- Reggie Doss

** LOLB- Mel Owens
** LILB- Carl Ekern
** RILB- Jim Collins
** ROLB- Mike Wilcher

SECONDARY:
** LCB- Gary Green
** RCB- Leroy Irvin
** SS- Nolan Cromwell
** FS- Johnny Johnson

Special Teams:
** K- Mike Lansford
** P- Dale Hatcher

I just thought it would be helpful to remember who ALL the starter's where in 1985!!

Edit: A funny thing about this roster is that it was the Rams 1st year without "Jack Youngblood" Another reason we didn't just DESTROY Da Bears!!

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somewhat true, Jeff was a couple inches taller and could move within the pocket, so, IMHO, that would have given him more of a chance and keep in mind the Rams did not bring back Brock in 86 and that was due to his very poor post season performance.

6-22 for 50 yards and one pick against Dallas & 10-31 for 66 yards and a pick against the Bears.
Kemp wasn't even 6 feet. He was awful.
Brock also battled kidney stones that post season and called it a career.
Nobody played well against that Bears D, and Brock was particularly terrible. But he was a pleasant surprise during the season and had some pretty good games. Unfortunately his fairy tale season ended poorly, and deservedly so the Rams went and got a 6'5 stud in Jim Everett to take over in 1986. Brock may have been a problem, but in no way was Kemp the answer. He was shown the door after 85 as well