12 Personnel... Is it finally here to stay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This article is very interesting irt that question:

Sean McVay explains lack of snaps for Brandin Cooks and Cooper Kupp
usatsi_13770715.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

4 hours ago
Since Sean McVay was hired as head coach of the Rams in 2017, the offense has had three receivers, one running back and one tight end on the field the majority of the time. With players such as Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks and Sammy Watkins, it’s easy to understand why McVay loves to use 11 personnel. In the last few weeks, though, the Rams have changed things up a bit. Against the Bears with Woods and Cooks out, the Rams used more two-tight end sets and pounded the football with Todd Gurley. They did that again on Sunday night against the Seahawks, and it resulted in Kupp and Cooks playing very little.

Kupp played 20 snaps and Cooks played 27, which is surprising considering Johnny Mundt was on the field for 50 of the Rams’ 70 plays. It was an interesting approach that clearly worked as the Rams rolled to a 28-12 victory over Seattle.

On Monday, McVay explained what went into Kupp and Cooks’ limited playing time. There are a couple of aspects to that decision, beginning with the Rams trying to diversify the scheme and balance out the offense.

“I think a lot of it is, ‘What do we think is the best way to have a little bit of a balance on some of the early downs? What do we think is the best way in some instances to run the football?’” McVay said. “It is also predicated on, ‘All right, what does this defense do and what does that mean in terms of some of the matchups that you want to create?’

“Then, you get a chance to evaluate and see a player like Johnny Mundt step up and say, ‘Maybe these are some things that we can have the defenses have to prepare for some different personnel groupings if we think it’s the best thing for us to do.’”

Another reason for the Rams limiting Kupp and Cooks’ playing time is an attempt to keep them fresh not only throughout the season, but over the course of a game. McVay points out that all of the Rams’ receivers are asked to block often and they’re almost treated like fullbacks.
McVay believes that by reducing the number of times they’re asked to block by utilizing tight ends instead, the wideouts are sharper in passing situations with their route running and receiving situations.

“We joke around about it, but I mean some of the blocks that we’ve asked Robert Woods to take part in or Josh Reynolds and Kupp, those guys are basically like fullbacks based on some of the concepts that we do run,” he said. “While you appreciate their willingness to do all those things, over the course of a 16-game season and if you’re fortunate to play afterwards, you do want to be mindful of the toll that that takes on them to try to keep them as fresh, as healthy as possible.”

He continued: “It is partly by the game plan, but then it’s also – I thought it was good because you can see we’re a little bit fresher in some of those known passing situations where our receivers are so important to us. If they’re not having the pressure of playing every single snap, I think it does make you a little bit more sharp and crisp in some of those situations where you might be a little bit more inclined to throw the football. We’re kind of working through it, we’re figuring it out. It was something that helped us out last night and as we start to dive into Dallas, we’ll figure out if that’s part of the plan for this week.”

The Cowboys defense has been good against the pass, ranking seventh in yards and ninth in touchdowns allowed, but their run defense is really struggling. They’ve allowed at least 100 yards rushing in each of the last seven games and are third in the league in missed tackles with 104 – 25 more than the Rams have missed, for reference.

Don’t be surprised if the Rams once again go with a run-heavy attack and utilize their tight ends more than their wide receivers, especially if Gerald Everett returns from injury. It may cost the receivers some snaps, but it does balance out the offense and give defenses another wrinkle to prepare for.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And btw Mundt's development continues to be impressive. Haven't reviewed the game yet but he did a great job on a lot of his blocking assignments. I've come around quite a bit on this guy.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Cooks' days as a Ram are numbered
I’m not so sure. I feel like every team can benefit from having a guy like Cooks on their team. He led our team in yards last year and was a key component in the win vs the Saints in the NFC championship game. I think there’s a place for him and McVay will find it. But he’s gotta catch the ball and run the correct routes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not so sure. I feel like every team can benefit from having a guy like Cooks on their team. He led our team in yards last year and was a key component in the win vs the Saints in the NFC championship game. I think there’s a place for him and McVay will find it. But he’s gotta catch the ball and run the correct routes.
You do need a guy like him, you just don’t need to pay him what we are. I think he was vital to our success the last two years. Just not sure we need him going forward.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

So he doesn't work out. Not quite like the Sammy Watkins deal but you have a speedster that doesn't work out like you hope.

Is Reynolds able/ready to fill that role?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I also think that Woods & Reynolds at this point in time are exceptional blockers whereas Cooks is inadequate for obvious reasons.

Little Johnny Mundt has turned into a decent move run blocker without getting busted for blocking fouls....guess he's learning how to get on the field for offensive snaps by being a good little Johnny tricky in the muck of humanity.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
So he doesn't work out. Not quite like the Sammy Watkins deal but you have a speedster that doesn't work out like you hope.

Is Reynolds able/ready to fill that role?
That's my question too, does Reynolds fill that role?

What is it: 4.33 vs 4.52? But it's clear that Reynolds is the better blocker and more disciplined route runner.

It's a complex question, who really can complete that post route for a crisp/accurate read in Goff's progressions even if only as a decoy to draw a safety.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
That's my question too, does Reynolds fill that role?

What is it: 4.33 vs 4.52? But it's clear that Reynolds is the better blocker and more disciplined route runner.

It's a complex question, who really can complete that post route for a crisp/accurate read in Goff's progressions even if only as a decoy to draw a safety.

And he's got more height. He's not thick but presumably you'd think he's better for 50/50 deep balls.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I also think that Woods & Reynolds at this point in time are exceptional blockers whereas Cooks is inadequate for obvious reasons.

Little Johnny Mundt has turned into a decent move run blocker without getting busted for blocking fouls....guess he's learning how to get on the field for offensive snaps by being a good little Johnny tricky in the muck of humanity.

P.S.
Brandon Cooks 40 time 4.33 sec/ 3 cone 6.76 sec/ 5-10/183
Nsimba Webster 40 time 4.40 sec/ 3 cone 6.70 sec./ 5-10/180

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So long as the Rams maintain the right players to run with both the 11 & 12 personnel, they should balance these attack schemes against what the opposition is most vulnerable to. Mixing it up is akin to Wade's hybrid defense. Whatever McVay can do to keep the bad guys off balance should be utilized.

2020 will be Reynolds' contract year, just how much are the Rams willing to pay a #4 WR in a competitive market ?

jmo.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
And btw Mundt's development continues to be impressive. Haven't reviewed the game yet but he did a great job on a lot of his blocking assignments. I've come around quite a bit on this guy.
It’s why it’s important to have that TE that is a blocker first.
You don’t need three 6’ 6” fleet footed TEs that are receivers first. You need a blocker at TE as well. Mundts contribution to the running game has be real.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If Snead can trade Cooks away this next offseason for anything more than a bag of chips, I think he’ll do it. And that’s assuming that someone is in love with Cooks and can handle that salary.

I’d call it a salary cap dump. Any player or pick received would be a bonus.

Check out these ‘19 stats for Cooks. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookBr00.htm

What with the concussions and the drops, I think Cooks is vulnerable.

Besides, it looks like McVay is gonna be going with more and more 12 personnel sets in the future.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s why it’s important to have that TE that is a blocker first.
You don’t need three 6’ 6” fleet footed TEs that are receivers first. You need a blocker at TE as well. Mundts contribution to the running game has be real.
Agreed and I'm with you on that. I have never been a fan of passing game only type TEs. The guys who you cannot stop usually are good blockers which is part of the reason why they can't be stopped, because defenders in that first critical second of a play can't afford to read on him for too long and the delayed release is an enormous advantage even if it's a quick fake on a block.

You see Kittle running loose all the time and it's because teams have to respect his blocking due to him routinely winning in the run game. HIGBEE is starting to get to that point now, teams know he can win in the run game and they overlook him.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
You see Kittle running loose all the time and it's because teams have to respect his blocking due to him routinely winning in the run game. Havenstein is starting to get to that point now, teams know he can win in the run game and they overlook him.
Did you mean Higbee? I bring it up just because someone here mentioned today the idea of Havenstein lining up as an extra eligible O-lineman, being a TE at one point in his youth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you mean Higbee? I bring it up just because someone here mentioned today the idea of Havenstein lining up as an extra eligible O-lineman, being a TE at one point in his youth.
Yes. And thank you for clearing that up while the edit window was still open. :ROFLMAO:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Not at his price tag. Especially since he is not a redzone threat and struggles on 50/50 balls due to his size.

You can draft a speed guy to give you a deep threat. He might not be at Cooks' level, but he would be much better bang for the buck.

Ellard80

Legend
You do need a guy like him, you just don’t need to pay him what we are. I think he was vital to our success the last two years. Just not sure we need him going forward.

He'd have to be traded or what not.. he is currently a massive cap hit. Not an easy out.