101 ESPN -- Looking at the Rams Fearsome Front Four

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Will the St. Louis Rams’ front four be dominant? Could it prove to be the NFL’s premier defensive line? Time – as always – will tell the tale, but it looks as if this stunningly talented group is ready to put it all together this fall.

In the Rams’ front four, we see a complete collection of premium draft picks – three first-rounders and a third. Few defenses boast such a heralded assemblage of talent.

At defensive end, Chris Long and Robert Quinn may be the best pass-rushing tandem in all of football. In 2012, the combo combined for 22 sacks. What’s scary for opposing defenses is that this dynamic duo is only going to get better.

Last season, Long led the NFL in hurries for a third consecutive campaign. Through five seasons, he has continually grown his game. Now in his sixth year and just entering his prime at age 28, Long expects to continue to ascend.

“I can get a ton better,” Long recently said.

Part of Long’s constant betterment comes by way of an ever-expanding repertoire. For example, late last season we saw him successfully incorporate the growing-in-popularity pre-snap “standup” routine. This new wrinkle could help Long get to the quarterback a split-second sooner more often. If so, the sack totals we’ve customarily grown to expect from him could swell.

“It’s a little change-up that can work in some situations,” Long said.

Across from Long, Quinn possesses as high of a pass-rushing ceiling as any player in the league...

(Hope you all will enjoy the full piece below, ROD):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/06/looking-at-the-rams-fearsome-front-four/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/06/loo ... ront-four/</a>

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Long lead the NFL in hurries for three straight years. This year that'll end up creating some turnovers with the secondary being better and having more experience.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:
Long lead the NFL in hurries for three straight years. This year that'll end up creating some turnovers with the secondary being better and having more experience.

Good point on the turnovers and I agree with that analysis.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
ShaneG said:
LesBaker said:

I hardly recognized you in that pic since you weren't covered with whipped cream.

And that sounds a lot more sordid than it actually is.

ShaneG

Starter
LesBaker said:
ShaneG said:
LesBaker said:

I hardly recognized you in that pic since you weren't covered with whipped cream.

And that sounds a lot more sordid than it actually is.

Hahaha yes no whipped cream there (after getting hit with half a pie aimed at Cortland Finnegan). It was a lot of fun, though. I actually have the aftermath as my twitter profile pic up right now.

fearsomefour

Legend
The last Rams Dline I thought was going to be special was Robert Young/Gilbert/J. Jones/Fred Stokes....cant be right about all of them. Gilbert was a huge talent that seemed lazy and was very into eating. Robert Young was a good passrusher, a talented guy who kept getting hurt....the other two just sort of didnt click. This group, taking for granted Brockers develops has a ton more talent.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
ShaneG said:
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Will the St. Louis Rams’ front four be dominant? Could it prove to be the NFL’s premier defensive line? Time – as always – will tell the tale, but it looks as if this stunningly talented group is ready to put it all together this fall.

In the Rams’ front four, we see a complete collection of premium draft picks – three first-rounders and a third. Few defenses boast such a heralded assemblage of talent.

At defensive end, Chris Long and Robert Quinn may be the best pass-rushing tandem in all of football. In 2012, the combo combined for 22 sacks. What’s scary for opposing defenses is that this dynamic duo is only going to get better.

Last season, Long led the NFL in hurries for a third consecutive campaign. Through five seasons, he has continually grown his game. Now in his sixth year and just entering his prime at age 28, Long expects to continue to ascend.

Part of Long’s constant betterment comes by way of an ever-expanding repertoire. For example, late last season we saw him successfully incorporate the growing-in-popularity pre-snap “standup” routine. This new wrinkle could help Long get to the quarterback a split-second sooner more often. If so, the sack totals we’ve customarily grown to expect from him could swell.

Across from Long, Quinn possesses as high of a pass-rushing ceiling as any player in the league...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/06/looking-at-the-rams-fearsome-front-four/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/06/loo ... ront-four/</a>

Good article Shane as always. i expect our front 4 to be dominant.
I kind of see them like the 2008 titans defense here. In which the front 4 turned a middling player like Michael griffin into a pro bowl safety lol..

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yep. Another great read Shane. I also think Brockers will turn at least a few of Long's hurries into sacks. I am really looking forward to seeing the young bearded one this season. I think he is heading for big things.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great article as usual Shane.

Call me an idiot (my wife does that frequently :lol:) but I think the key to this line becoming the best D-line in the league rests on Langford's shoulders. I believe he's the weak link in the D-line. This is a testament to the abilities of the rest of the D-line players and not a slam on Langford's talents. I think we have much better DEs than the Lions but our DTs don't match up as well. Brockers compares favorably with Suh but Langford needs to step up his game (like you anticipate he will) to match Fairly.

ShaneG

Starter
Rabid Ram said:
ShaneG said:

Good article Shane as always. i expect our front 4 to be dominant.
I kind of see them like the 2008 titans defense here. In which the front 4 turned a middling player like Michael griffin into a pro bowl safety lol..

That's a great point. A great rush can create a ton of opportunities to create poor throws and give defenders an ample opportunity to create turnovers.

ShaneG

Starter
fearsomefour said:
The last Rams Dline I thought was going to be special was Robert Young/Gilbert/J. Jones/Fred Stokes....cant be right about all of them. Gilbert was a huge talent that seemed lazy and was very into eating. Robert Young was a good passrusher, a talented guy who kept getting hurt....the other two just sort of didnt click. This group, taking for granted Brockers develops has a ton more talent.

Thanks for sharing that perspective, fearsomefour.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well done, Shane.

Here's my thought for you; what is the window for this unit to build a reputation like the fearsome foursome?

Me; our assent is just beginning... the first of a 3yr window.

With the age of Long, experience of Quinn and Brockers... then factor the contracts... I'd like to believe these guys stay together greater than 3yrs... just pointing out the window is 3yrs with what we know today.

In 3yrs Long is 31... and even of the contracts of Quinn and Brockers extend... Long is on the backend of his career.

Let's squeak out more if possible, tho!

ShaneG

Starter
RamFan503 said:
Yep. Another great read Shane. I also think Brockers will turn at least a few of Long's hurries into sacks. I am really looking forward to seeing the young bearded one this season. I think he is heading for big things.

Agree wholeheartedly on all points, RamFan503. Thanks, as well, for the kind words.

ShaneG

Starter
albefree69 said:
Great article as usual Shane.

Call me an idiot (my wife does that frequently :lol:) but I think the key to this line becoming the best D-line in the league rests on Langford's shoulders. I believe he's the weak link in the D-line. This is a testament to the abilities of the rest of the D-line players and not a slam on Langford's talents. I think we have much better DEs than the Lions but our DTs don't match up as well. Brockers compares favorably with Suh but Langford needs to step up his game (like you anticipate he will) to match Fairly.

I get what you are saying there and it makes sense on Langford. He did come on at the end of the year, though, and he should keep getting better now in his second year at 4-3 DT rather than 3-4 end.

ShaneG

Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Well done, Shane.

Here's my thought for you; what is the window for this unit to build a reputation like the fearsome foursome?

Me; our assent is just beginning... the first of a 3yr window.

With the age of Long, experience of Quinn and Brockers... then factor the contracts... I'd like to believe these guys stay together greater than 3yrs... just pointing out the window is 3yrs with what we know today.

In 3yrs Long is 31... and even of the contracts of Quinn and Brockers extend... Long is on the backend of his career.

Let's squeak out more if possible, tho!

Great question....

I think if the Rams are winning and develop into a dominant D, they will try to keep them together for some time. If Langford doesn't progress this year (and I think he will), he could be the first to go.

As for Long, one thing I often see in the better defensive ends is that -- unlike at a spot like running back -- they can remain very, very good and sometimes even improve into their early 30s. If Long is one of those guys, he may have a couple more years than you mentioned before he begins dropping off some.

All that said, if they are going to start building that type of reputation in earnest, they better get to work on it now. Would take several great years to cement a legacy anywhere close to that of the F.F.