10 Observations from the Rams' Aug. 27 training camp practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
10 Observations from the Rams' Aug. 27 training camp practice

After each practice of Rams Training Camp presented by UNIFY Financial Credit Union, Rams staff writer Stu Jackson will share 10 observations from the session. Here are his notes from Thursday, Aug. 27:

1) Following the team's stretching period, Rams head coach Sean McVay paused practice to give players a chance to say what's on their mind. While McVay wanted to keep the specifics "in-house," he said after practice that those types of conversations are "always about being able to connect with our guys, make sure we understand their perspectives and really be able to figure out a way to put some tangible things in place to try and move the needle in the right direction."

2) Rams players wore helmets but no pads today, though this was likely by design. While the current contact integration period that began Aug. 18 encompasses 20 calendar days, the modified Collective Bargaining Agreement stipulates a maximum of 14 practices in pads.

3) Safety Taylor Rapp (helmet) and running back Darrell Henderson (no helmet) were once again doing work off to the side.

4) Left tackle Andrew Whitworth and cornerback Jalen Ramsey each had a veteran's day off, per McVay. This naturally created more opportunities for younger offensive linemen and defensive backs, especially during 1-on-1 and 11-on-11 work.

5) With Whitworth getting a veteran's day off, rookie offensive lineman Tremayne Anchrum Jr. saw some reps with the first team offensive line during 11-on-11 drills.

6) As for the defensive backs, cornerback Dont'e Deayon, rookie safety Terrell Burgess and cornerback Darious Williams each had some nice moments during 1-on-1 drills. Deayon had a pass breakup against rookie wide receiver Van Jefferson, Williams against wide receiver Robert Woods and Burgess against wide receiver Nsimba Webster.

7) Toe-drag/tap swag. For as much as these observations have discussed Jefferson's separation and footwork, we can't forget about fourth-year wide receiver Cooper Kupp's, either. During 1-on-1 redzone work, Kupp hauled in an over-the-shoulder touchdown catch in the back corner of the endzone on a pass from quarterback Jared Goff. Kupp displayed his footwork again during 7-on-7 drills by getting both feet in for a tight back-of-the-endzone touchdown catch on another Goff pass.

8) John Wolford keeps looking sharp. The second-year reserve quarterback had touchdown passes to Webster, Jefferson and rookie wide receiver J.J. Koski during 7-on-7 drills.

9) Lots of near-interceptions. Deayon nearly picked off Goff during 11-on-11 work, and rookie safety Jordan Fuller nearly jumped in front of a Wolford pass for rookie wide receiver Trishton Jackson during the same period. In 7-on-7 work, inside linebacker Micah Kiser nearly intercepted a Goff pass that turned into a touchdown to tight end Gerald Everett. In fairness to the offense, this anticipation from the defense shouldn't be surprising since they've been going against the same offense for two weeks. Meanwhile, the offense is practicing against a new defense after seeing the same one in practice for three years.

10) Kickers Austin MacGinnis and Lirim Hajrullahu both got work during the 11-on-11 portion of practice, with each attempting a pair field goals from about 49 yards. MacGinnis went 1 for 2, while Hajrullahu converted both.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I wouldn't read too much into Anchrum getting first team reps yet. I'm not a big fan of Edwards but I think Evans could stick somewhere. I'd like to see him get a chance at a guard spot,or at least be first sub at both Tackle spots. He's the best player not playing first string. I think he should be a starter at guard. I really hope they don't try going back to the zone scheme predominantly. That's when the line was getting destroyed by six man fronts. But with Noteboom and Corbett in I am thinking it's a possibility. They liked both players lateral movement skills.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
10) Kickers Austin MacGinnis and Lirim Hajrullahu both got work during the 11-on-11 portion of practice, with each attempting a pair field goals from about 49 yards. MacGinnis went 1 for 2, while Hajrullahu converted both.

Ha roo la hoo
Ha roo la hoo
Ha roo la hoo

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everywhere I read people seem to doubt Anchrum. Guys got abilities and has played on the big stage, leading the OLine for one of the best teams his entire run in college. I'm excited to see him get reps.

fearsomefour

Legend
Everywhere I read people seem to doubt Anchrum. Guys got abilities and has played on the big stage, leading the OLine for one of the best teams his entire run in college. I'm excited to see him get reps.
This sort of stuff is where a lack of a preseason is hurtful.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This sort of stuff is where a lack of a preseason is hurtful.
It could be. Or this guys years at one of the best football programs and a good college coach and position coach has taught him how to prepare which led to Kromer trusting this guy with snaps. Nothing will substitute for game snaps, even preseason aren’t a great sub for them. It could be this guys makeup will lead to him being more ready than most will be.

fearsomefour

Legend
It could be. Or this guys years at one of the best football programs and a good college coach and position coach has taught him how to prepare which led to Kromer trusting this guy with snaps. Nothing will substitute for game snaps, even preseason aren’t a great sub for them. It could be this guys makeup will lead to him being more ready than most will be.
It is good on helping guys adjust to NFL speeds and....if rookies can go against veterans, even backup veterans....getting a taste of the talent level.

Ram65

Legend

The speculation was that he would be tried at OC IIRC and OG. As the 250th pick in the draft, I for one wasn't expecting much from him this year with transitioning from mostly playing RT in college. At 6'2' 315 Lbs or so his size suggests him being more of an interior lineman. I thought it would take a while for him to compete at OC.

The Rams really wanted him and acquired an extra 7th round pick to get him. Kromer playing him as 2nd LT and filling in for when they rest Whitworth is a pleasant surprise. I was thinking he would be a practice squad developmental player. There has been much speculation on who the Rams keep and where they play on the offensive line. So far there seem to be a lot of surprises. Anchrum becoming the back up at LT might be the biggest this season.

Didn't know this information. He was cross-trained in college. He said he is comfortable at RT-RG but, willing to play any position.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The speculation was that he would be tried at OC IIRC and OG. As the 250th pick in the draft, I for one wasn't expecting much from him this year with transitioning from mostly playing RT in college. At 6'2' 315 Lbs or so his size suggests him being more of an interior lineman. I thought it would take a while for him to compete at OC.

The Rams really wanted him and acquired an extra 7th round pick to get him. Kromer playing him as 2nd LT and filling in for when they rest Whitworth is a pleasant surprise. I was thinking he would be a practice squad developmental player. There has been much speculation on who the Rams keep and where they play on the offensive line. So far there seem to be a lot of surprises. Anchrum becoming the back up at LT might be the biggest this season.

Didn't know this information. He was cross-trained in college. He said he is comfortable at RT-RG but, willing to play any position.
I still think Noteboom is the back up LT.
I believe they just want Note to get as many practice reps at LG as possible atm.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We
I get it but speculation around here means less than nothing including and especially mine :biggrin:

Also Boom is the backup LT imo, as others have said they aren’t going to give him 1st team snaps at LG and all 2nd tam snaps at LT. They’re getting people snaps.

Ram65

Legend
I still think Noteboom is the back up LT.
I believe they just want Note to get as many practice reps at LG as possible atm.

Good point I lost my perspective. Should Whit go down in a game Noteboom would move over as I have thought all offseason. I haven't paid as much attention to who is playing second string and where. I remember ready these comments before. It seems like Kromer is still moving everyone around. It could just be a wait and see who stays on the roster and where they are slotted. I don't think we have gotten any reports on the quality of play by the backups. At least in preseason games, we could actually see how they are playing even if its not a real game with different levels of players substituting in and out.

Rams’ scrimmage second-string OL
The configuration for the Rams’ second-string at their first scrimmage was a bit of a shakeup. Per Sport’s Illustrated Eric Williams, the second string was 6-foot-4 312-pound Bobby Evans at left tackle, 6-foot-2 314-pound Tremayne Anchrum at left guard, 6-foot-3 316-pound Jeremiah Kolone as the center, 6-foot-6 308 pound David Edwards at right guard, and 6-foot-5 321-pound Jamil Demby at right tackle.

Where did they line up?

Of course, confusing the offensive line is the conflicting reports of who lined up where during the scrimmage game. Joe Curley of USA Today Network reported a different configuration for the Rams second-string offensive line. In his version 6-foot-4 312-pound Bobby Evans at left tackle, 6-foot-2 314-pound Tremayne Anchrum at left guard, 6-foot-3 316-pound Jeremiah Kolone as the center, 6-foot-5 321-pound Jamil Demby at right guard, and 6-foot-6 308 pound David Edwards at right tackle. That arrangement seems more logical.
Well, pondering the conflict further, likely answer is that both scenarios are true. The scrimmage was about finding the most cohesive group of five players, not simply to drill the same five players over and over. With so little time to evaluate players and player groupings, the Rams’ coaching staff is saving time by creating opportunities to evaluate both simultaneously.
Jamil Demby clarifies

After the game, Jamil Demby confirmed that he actually saw action at the right guard, right tackle, and left tackle position last night. That confirms that reports out of the scrimmage were not keeping up with player changes. After the game, Demby shared that he had a lot of fun, and had a pretty good game. Of course, there is always some clean up at this point in the season, but that’s understandable with swapping in and out of three different positions in one night.

Ram65

Legend
I get it but speculation around here means less than nothing including and especially mine :biggrin:

Also Boom is the backup LT imo, as others have said they aren’t going to give him 1st team snaps at LG and all 2nd tam snaps at LT. They’re getting people snaps.

Speculation is what we do in the offseason. One thing for sure is Kromer is still cross-training the offensive lineman.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speculation is what we do in the offseason. One thing for sure is Kromer is still cross-training the offensive lineman.
Forgive me yes I know that’s what we do myself included. I left out though that our speculation means nothing to Kromer. And some can’t get over the disappointments that the coaches disagree with them, based on playing time given.

Ram65

Legend
Everywhere I read people seem to doubt Anchrum.
Forgive me yes I know that’s what we do myself included. I left out though that our speculation means nothing to Kromer. And some can’t get over the disappointments that the coaches disagree with them, based on playing time given.

I was editing my post while you responded. More or less to this point.

Expectations simply were not that high on Anchrum contributing this year. He was the 250th pick in the draft. I get your point in general but, in this case, doubts on Anchrum seem reasonable. That is what I was trying to convey. I actually got excited that he was playing with the ones for Whit and playing with the twos hoping Snead found a diamond in the rough. I was quickly reminded that Noteboom is the backup LT. while looking to see who are the second string lineman and found out Kromer is still cross-training. At this point, there is in a bit of doubt for Anchurns future. I'm sure we all hope he becomes a diamond in the rough.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
To be blunt, this Oline doesn't excite me AT ALL. We have a 39 year old All Pro LT who's clearly lost a step last season. It's not going to get better this season. I think Whit will play the first 5 or 6 games and then be replaced by Evans or Edwards. I'm going with Edwards. but that's just a thought.
Boom at LG...Why? He was awful last season, the dude would get blown off the ball and he had a continuous problem anchoring on passing downs. I don't think he's a Guard, he might purely be a tackle.
Blythe, I'm actually ok with him playing Center. He's on the smaller side but he is quick on pulls which is what you want from your Center. He also hasn't had too many mistakes playing his new position. He'll only get better and more comfortable playing at his new spot.
Corbett, I actually like him, he played solid last season. Not sure why he got moved to the right side but maybe it's a more natural position for him at RG. Looking forward to how he does.
Hav, Im not even sure why he's still getting first team reps. IMO Evans outplayed him from the second he stepped on the field. Even against players like Clowney and Mack he played outstanding 1v1. Hav better be on a really short leash and if he starts showing the same bad habit's as last year I'd bench his ass right away.
Evans and Edwards, Both of these young guys played better than our starters week 1 last season. Not sure why they're not getting the nod this year.

Which brings me to my last point. I sure hope McVay is making the right decision going back to his old Oline from the beginning of last season. I've never understood this about coaches and quite honestly it's what gets them fired a lot of the time. We'll see what happens tho.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All that might still happen. IMO what Kromer is probably doing is making sure he's not a LT, just getting a good look at him on the edge. The Rams really haven't had all that many contact practices and you need those to slot the big guys.

I am surprised that the OGs haven't flipped yet (the starters). Seems to me once again that Kromes slotted his guys and is going to ride it. Long as he ends up being right I'm good. And also it sure would be nice to see our starting OL dominate or at least hold their own in tomorrow's scrimmage.

Have to think that Anchrum ends up at OG but he's one of those guys who has beat expectations before so we'll see.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All that might still happen. IMO what Kromer is probably doing is making sure he's not a LT, just getting a good look at him on the edge. The Rams really haven't had all that many contact practices and you need those to slot the big guys.

I am surprised that the OGs haven't flipped yet (the starters). Seems to me once again that Kromes slotted his guys and is going to ride it. Long as he ends up being right I'm good. And also it sure would be nice to see our starting OL dominate or at least hold their own in tomorrow's scrimmage.

Have to think that Anchrum ends up at OG but he's one of those guys who has beat expectations before so we'll see.
Thank you for never letting me down! :heart:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Seems to me once again that Kromes slotted his guys and is going to ride it. Long as he ends up being right I'm good.

Imo it's the right move as I have commented since before camp. It's the opposite of what Kromer did last year, and he has incurred the wrath of numerous posters for not having the starters ready then. So at least he's not making the exactly the same mistake again. Of course if it goes to hell Kromer will still be a bum in the eyes of many...

Wrt Anchrum, I think the guy can play and is being underestimated. I was very impressed by his performance at Clemson. He was a key player for their championship runs.

Will be he be a great NFL lineman? Probably not, but he has a chance to be a consistent and valuable player. He's big enough, versatile, knows what to do, and is unlikely to let the qb get killed by missing a block. Kind of guy I want on the Rams.