10 Most Memorable MNF Games of All Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
10 Most Memorable "Monday Night Football" Games of All Time

With the NFL's release of the 2020 schedule last week, fans now have the "Monday Night Football" slate for the fall. If pro football happens in the fall, this year's games looks promising as ever. "Monday Night Football" has been a staple of the NFL for 50 years, and there have been great games and moments every season. Here are the 10 most memorable, along with some others worth noting.

Honorable Mentions

Baltimore Colts 34, New England Patriots 27
Sept. 18, 1978 — Foxboro, Mass.

The Patriots entered the game as 17.5-point favorites and led the Colts 13-7 going into the fourth quarter. Then Baltimore running back Joe Washington had his finest hour, throwing one touchdown pass and catching another before returning a kickoff 90 yards for another score with less than a minute left to win the game.

Miami Dolphins 16, New England Patriots 13
Dec. 8, 1980 — Miami

While this game was won with an Uwe von Schamann field goal in overtime, it's sadly best remembered because Howard Cosell had to break the news to millions of Americans that John Lennon had been murdered earlier that evening.

San Francisco 49ers 28, Seattle Seahawks 21
Oct. 14, 2002 — Seattle

San Francisco receiver Terrell Owens scored two touchdowns, including one where he pulled a Sharpie out of his sock and autographed the ball before giving it to one of his assistants in the stands.

Top 10 "Monday Night Football" Games of All Time

10. Cleveland Browns 31, New York Jets 21
Sept. 21, 1970 — Cleveland

The first "Monday Night Football" broadcast went with the league's most marquee player in Joe Namath. However, the main attractions on this night were "Broadway Joe's" three interceptions and the Jets' team-record 161 penalized yards.

9. Washington Redskins 13, Dallas Cowboys 7
Oct. 19, 1987 — Irving, Texas

A players' strike in 1987 prompted NFL owners to continue the season with replacement players, much to public outcry. Redskins coach Joe Gibbs made the best of the situation and won his three games with replacement players before the strike ended. The final win was on the road against the Cowboys on "Monday Night Football" after Danny White and Tony Dorsett had rejoined the team. The win inspired the movie, "The Replacements."

8. Minnesota Vikings 31, Dallas Cowboys 27
Jan. 3, 1983 — Minneapolis

The 1982 players' strike led to a week three matchup between the Cowboys and the Vikings being rescheduled for the last "Monday Night Football" game of the season. Down 24-13 and lined up on his one-yard line, Dallas running back Tony Dorsett took the handoff and ran 99 yards for a touchdown, the longest run from scrimmage in NFL history. Although the Cowboys lost, Dorsett's run lives on.

7. Los Angeles Raiders 37, Seattle Seahawks 14
Nov. 30, 1987 — Seattle

Bo Jackson won the Heisman Trophy at Auburn in 1985 but opted to play baseball with the Kansas City Royals. The Raiders signed him in 1987 with a contract that allowed him to join the team after the MLB season ended. Jackson debuted in Week 7, but his breakout performance came in Week 11. Playing football before a national audience for the first time since college, Jackson rushed for 221 yards and scored three touchdowns, including one for 91 yards and another where he ran over Seahawks linebacker Brian Bosworth, who had been talking trash before the game.

6. Seattle Seahawks 14, Green Bay Packers 12
Sept. 24, 2012 — Seattle, Wash.

The NFL referees went on strike in June 2012, and the issue remained unresolved going into that season. The league hired second-tier refs, who were not up to the challenge of calling an NFL game. Everything came to a head on the final play of the Week 3 "Monday Night Football" matchup. Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson threw a "Hail Mary" pass into the end zone, and receiver Golden Taint shoved Packers cornerback Sam Shields out of the way and caught it simultaneously with safety M.D. Jennings before securing it after the two players hit the ground. The officials missed the pass interference call and gave Seattle the touchdown, causing controversy to ensue. Ultimately, the "Fail Mary" prompted the NFL to come to the table and end the strike with its referees two days later.

5. Green Bay Packers 26, Minnesota Vikings 20
Nov. 6, 2000 — Green Bay, Wis.

Tied 20-20 in overtime, Packers quarterback Brett Favre threw a pass to Antonio Freeman that was deflected by Chris Dishman and it appeared to be incomplete as Freeman fell to the ground with it. But the ball never touched the ground and Dishman never touched Freeman, who got up with it and raced into the end zone for the win.

4. Los Angeles Rams 54, Kansas City Chiefs 51
Nov. 19, 2018 — Los Angeles

Both the Chiefs and Rams entered the game at 9-1 with high-powered offenses. In the highest-scoring affair in "Monday Night Football" history, Kansas City quarterback Patrick Mahomes hit Chris Conley with a 10-yard touchdown pass to take a 51-47 lead with less than three minutes to go. L.A. responded with a 40-yard strike from Jared Goff to Gerald Everett for the win less than a minute later. This game was originally supposed to be played in Mexico City but had to be relocated due to poor field conditions.

3. Washington Redskins 23, New York Giants 21
Nov. 18, 1985 — Washington, D.C.

There have numerous devastating injuries on "Monday Night Football," including Steve Young being knocked unconscious and Napoleon McCallum injuring his knee, but the one that is etched in every fan's memory is that of Lawrence Taylor sacking Joe Theismann and breaking his leg. The injury ended Theismann's career.

2. New Orleans Saints 23, Atlanta Falcons 3
Sept. 25, 2006 — New Orleans

Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and turned the Saints into nomads who split their home games between LSU's Tiger Stadium and San Antonio's Alamodome. They returned to the Crescent City with a renovated Superdome, a sold-out crowd, and an audience of 10.8 million viewers, the largest in ESPN's history. "Monday Night Football" has been many things over its 50-year history, but this was the first time it had been a healing point for a city.

1. Miami Dolphins 38, Chicago Bears 24
Dec. 2, 1985 — Miami

The '85 Bears were 12-0 and the team with the best chance of stopping them from ending the '72 Dolphins' distinction as the only team with a perfect record were... the '85 Dolphins. Members of the 1972 team stood on the sidelines as the Dolphins took a 31-10 halftime lead, the most points the Bears had given up in the first half since 1972. Miami sealed the deal in the third quarter when Chicago defensive tackle Dan Hampton tipped a Dan Marino pass and it landed 30 yards downfield in the hands of Mark Clayton, who took it into the end zone for a 38-17 lead.

Tano

Legend
Bullshit

#1 Most Memorable Monday Night Game - Rams Chiefs

Greatest most fun game to watch ever

It had everything

Offense

Defense (believe it or not) - Rams scored 14 of their points on defense

Even well played special teams if I remember correctly

Greatest overall game ever

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here’s a good one of that Rams/Chiefs game. 16 minutes of good highlights.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Rams vs Chiefs MNF 2018 is one of my favorite games of all time. My blood pressure went through the roof but man was it exciting.

dang

Legend
The Rams vs Chiefs MNF game had EVERYTHING!!! if it had been a playoff game it would be considered the best NFL game ever!!! I challenge anyone to go lie detector and name a more memorable MNF game. They wouldn’t pass if they had in fact watched the game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bullshit

#1 Most Memorable Monday Night Game - Rams Chiefs

Greatest most fun game to watch ever

It had everything

Offense

Defense (believe it or not) - Rams scored 14 of their points on defense

Even well played special teams if I remember correctly

Greatest overall game ever

that's why it was such a great game.

i watched a playoff game between the colts and chiefs where the punters didn't make it onto the field. the defenses couldn't stop shit. most boring game ever, like watching basketball.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Rams chiefs are easily #1.

My #2 would be Denver KC in the early 90s.
Elway and Montana dueling back and forth. Great game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whoever wrote thast article is obviously a Meth Head.....

4F8E82DD-DBA4-4C69-B2D7-47B3BAD1580F.jpeg

(photoshopped)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That aints/Falcons game was boring AF.

I'd put the Bears/Cards 2006 game in place of that one.

And yes, Chiefs/Rams is the best MNF game ever.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Why does colts bucs 2003 never make the list? Bucs top 10 defense all time during the early 2000s against a clutch Buckethead. Bucs up by 21 with over 6 minutes left and the colts somehow miraculously tie it up and win it in OT.

View: https://youtu.be/5Dx3Do6i1fU

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I think many are missing the point of the article. It wasnt the greatest Monday night games or the most exciting Monday night games, but memorable for various reasons.
Obviously, Rams/Chiefs game should be #1, but the rest of the list I can basically remember where I was for many of those games for the reasons listed.
And any top 10 list that doesnt force feed Brady/Patriots down my throat, is a good list in my book

Tano

Legend
Washington New York Giants game shouldn't be in the list at all imho.

Yes it had the Most Memorable Moment in MNF history (I will never forget Theismann getting hit) but the rest of the game is a complete blur to me.

If you want to make MMM list, then yes #1 but otherwise the game was okay but that play overshadowed the rest of the game.

As for New Orleans - Atlanta game ... Memorable???? I don't even remember that game.

I understand the significance but that game wasn't memorable to me.

Sure I felt for NO but that game didn't mean much. Football is just a game. Peoples lives matter more and getting the city back up and running is far more important. I guess you could say the game was a symbol but it still wasn't memorable to me.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Rams vs Chiefs MNF 2018 is one of my favorite games of all time. My blood pressure went through the roof but man was it exciting.

I was monitoring my heart rate on my Fitbit during the game, it hit 136 in the last two minutes. It took a long time to come down sufficiently after the game so I could sleep.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The game I have posted below was considered one of the greatest MNF games of all time at the time it was played. Hard to believe that this game isn't on this list. The Rams were defending Super Bowl Champs and were going to play down in Tampon on MNF after we had beaten them in the NFC Championship game on the amazing catch by Ricky P. The final score was 38 to 35... it was a back and forth blood bath.

Just an incredible game and the atmosphere was insane. I almost had to fight my way to my seats because of the Tampon faithful not wanting a guy in a Warner jersey sitting anywhere in the stadium. The bucs call it the Revenge Game... so they've actually given it A Name. The media raved about it being the greatest MNF game ever for years after. It should not be left off of this list. Period.

You'll have to click over to YT to watch this from the link below. If you've never seen this game... it is a must see!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Rams chiefs are easily #1.

My #2 would be Denver KC in the early 90s.
Elway and Montana dueling back and forth. Great game.

Chiefs / Rams for me

The Montana / Elway duel in Denver was epic