10/12 Practice Report- Improving Execution in the Red Zone

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 10/12: Improving Execution in the Red Zone

By Myles Simmons

In terms of yards and first downs, Los Angeles had its highest offensive output of the season so far last Sunday against the Bills. Racking up 345 yards and 23 first downs is a decent indication of how well the Rams were able to move the ball.

That mark, however, means a bit less than it could because the Rams were only able to score a touchdown once in their four red-zone opportunities. That’s what Los Angeles has to correct this week with facing a tough Lions defense on the road.

“We recognize, right now, our deficiency with getting the ball in the end zone and that’s what our focus is right now,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said on Wednesday.

Boras said L.A. must improve in many aspects when it comes to how the offense plays when there’s a chance for the unit to put up points. That goes from the coordinator on down.

“It starts with play calls,” Boras said. “You’re always self-evaluating as a coach, seeing if you’re putting your players in the best position.”

But it’s also negative plays down in the scoring areas. Both Boras and starting quarterback Case Keenumcited those as being one of the biggest obstacles to cashing in when the offense is inside the 20-yard line.

“It’s the negative plays that are preventing us from having the continued success,” Boras said. “We’ve started the drives well the last couple of games, we just haven’t finished with touchdowns, we’ve finished with field goals. It’s eliminating the negative plays when we get to the red zone.”

“Whether it’s penalties, negative runs, sacks — yards are precious down there,” Keenum said. “I think we just have to keep moving forward. We’re doing a good job moving the football, just keep moving forward when we get down there.”

Detroit’s defense has done well to contain both the run and pass despite injuries to key contributors like defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, defensive tackle Haloti Ngata and linebacker DeAndre Levy. So well, in fact, that the club still has not let up a rushing touchdown.

“They’re defense is playing well down there — red-zone defense,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “They’ve given up some passing touchdowns. As we talked about success in the plus territory in the red zone, if you will, it’s about carrying balance.”

“We have our work cut out for us,” Keenum said. “I think we’re going to have to play really well to win this game.”

CATCHING UP WITH GOFF

As we all know, quarterback Jared Goff has been serving as the Rams’ backup since Week 2. Nothing yet has changed when it comes to Goff’s status on the depth chart, as Fisher has maintained the No. 1 overall pick will play when he’s ready. And the head coach told Detroit media on Wednesday that there is no timetable for when the QB will see the field.

But according to the coaches, Goff has made steady progress. Boras said that’s been most apparent in the classroom.

“A lot of the times, you understand how a person is learning by the questions that he’s asking and he’s not asking rookie questions anymore,” Boras said. “He’s starting to ask those more advanced, if you will, say, the 301- or 401-type question. For me, it starts there.”

“The easiest way to understand if somebody knows it is when they can regurgitate it back to you,” Boras added. “And he’s able to do that right now and, again, ask some of those questions where you have to, yourself, look up at the sky and try to think, ‘OK, that’s a good one.” And try to give him the right answer.”

“I think I’ve progressed ever since I got here, and I don’t think I’ve ever really plateaued or gone backwards,” Goff said. “I think I’ve gotten better every time, every week, every day, so I feel good.”

Boras was particularly complimentary of Goff’s work ethic, nothing how the quarterback appears to be preparing as if he will play.

“He’s putting a lot of work in as if he is the starter, which I know is not an easy thing to do, especially for a young player,” Boras said. “But to watch him go ahead and study Detroit and get ready for this week as if he’s playing, I think that says a lot about his maturity as a 21-year-old.”

But once gameday comes, Goff is on the sidelines, aiding Keenum in any way he can.

“Mainly looking at the defense, looking at what they’re doing defensively, trying to help Case, trying to see if we can see anything that can help him when he gets to the sidelines,” Goff said. “Looking for different coverages, blitzes, stuff that they’ve done more than once, any tendencies.”

There have been many young quarterbacks and first-year quarterbacks starting around the league this season — many of whom have gotten playing time due to injuries. While as a competitor Goff would certainly like to be on the field, he recognizes every situation is different.

“All these guys that are doing well right now I’m very happy for. Most of them I’m good friends with, and they’ve done a really good job,” Goff said. “I’m very happy for them.”

Goff, of course, is focused on himself and become the best quarterback he can be for this team. And that process appears to be going well behind the scenes.

“I’m just trying to improve,” Goff said, “make everything become second-nature and continue to get better, and continue to feel more natural in the offense.”

WELCOME GRATZ

Cornerback Dwayne Gratz attended his first practice as a Ram on Wednesday afternoon after what’s surely been a whirlwind few days. A third-round pick out of Connecticut in 2013, Gratz played the first three-plus years of his career in Jacksonville. Gratz said Wednesday getting cut from the team that drafted him was tough, as one would expect.

“But now I’m here. It’s a better opportunity for me, and I’m looking forward to playing with these guys,” Gratz said. “I’d rather be here than to be on the couch. The team seems to like me, so I’m just going to go out here and do me.”

Gratz, who has amassed three interceptions, 12 passes defensed, and 119 tackles in his career, said he’s learning essentially a whole new scheme. So that means there’s a lot of studying for him to do to catch up.

“It’s always hard when you’re learning a new defense,” Gratz said. “But coming here, be studious, listen to what the coaches are teaching me, and just go out there and do what they tell me.”

Fisher said Gratz has a better chance to contribute on special teams than on defense for now. But the cornerback is working hard to ensure he’s ready if and when he’s called upon.

“I don’t know yet,” Gratz said of how much he’ll play on Sunday. “I’m going to learn a little bit more today. I just went out there and practiced today. It was a good day, and we’ll just see what happens tomorrow.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams have five players listed on their first injury report of the week, all of whom did not participate in the afternoon session.

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers (hip), defensive end William Hayes (ankle), cornerbackTrumaine Johnson (ankle), defensive end Robert Quinn (shoulder), and offensive linemanCody Wichmann (ankle) were all listed as DNPs.

However, Fisher said some of those guys were able to participate in the walk thru still have a chance to play on Sunday.

“The health status is improving,” Fisher said. “It doesn’t mean to say that we got people back on the field, but it’s looking better than it was. We’re hoping to get a couple of guys back Friday. A couple might be game-time decisions, but things are coming along.”

[www.therams.com]

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Injuries on the line were really brutal last week...I think it showed why Brockers is so important, even though he doesn't always get a lot of recognition...He's certainly plays a huge part in stopping the run...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“The health status is improving,” Fisher said. “It doesn’t mean to say that we got people back on the field, but it’s looking better than it was. We’re hoping to get a couple of guys back Friday. A couple might be game-time decisions, but things are coming along.”
Statement like this^ Drive me Crazy!! JMHO

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, nobody has said it yet, so inb4 you do.

"Did you find a box of redzone executions too?"

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
If only we had a QB that had tremendous success in college in the red zone, wherever can we find one of those... :sneaky:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Really looking forward to seeing Gratz...I did see both U Conn DB's...maybe senior bowls or something...then watched their highlights...I remember Bledi Reh-.....like his name....I can really see him contributing SOON....and we may need him before we think....

Goff story....I want a reporter to ask him, if something were to happen, is he ready to play TODAY? In his own opinion, or would he rather stay on the bench? Is that a fair question?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If only we had a QB that had tremendous success in college in the red zone, wherever can we find one of those... :sneaky:
Philadelphia? Minnesota?Dallas?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

279c74af60c04364b0bbc50e2d3ecca3.png

51fa6965fea74098ae0fbb48e85ef294.png

368bc6a990164c0987bde9c2b0ab47b5.png