Zuerlein no fan of preseason extra-point experiment/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Zuerlein no fan of preseason extra-point experiment
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_09538ede-871f-5fc2-917c-395ca5b5e6c9.html

Don’t be confused Friday when you see the ball snapped from the 15-yard line after touchdowns in the Rams’ exhibition opener, against visiting New Orleans.

In an NFL experiment, all extra points (other than 2-point conversions) will be snapped from the 15 during the first two full weeks of exhibition play, making it the equivalent distance of a 33-yard field goal.

Rams kicker Greg “The Leg” Zuerlein is not a fan.

“I don’t know why they’d change it, but I don’t make those decisions,” he said, laughing. “We’ll see what happens. I mean, obviously if you move it back you’ll probably have a few more misses.”

At the NFL owners’ meetings last March, there was talk about moving the PAT line back because the extra point was not a competitive play. The result had become too predictable, or so the argument went. During the 2013 regular season, place-kickers made 1,262 of 1,267 attempts. That’s only five misses, for a success rate of 99.6 percent.

But instead of voting on a rules change in March, the league decided to move the line of scrimmage back 13 yards — to the 15. So instead of kicking the ball from a distance of 20 yards for an extra point, the kick now comes from 33 yards away this week and next during the preseason.

“I don’t see why you’d want to change the game,” Zuerlein said. “It’s been like this since football’s been around. They don’t change the rules because quarterbacks are throwing for more yards or it’s turned into a pass-offense league. So I don’t see why you’d change it for kickers if you don’t change it for anyone else.”

Even so, Zuerlein says, “I don’t mind it. Whatever they do, we’ll adjust. You know, go from there.”

Originally, the plan was to have the line of scrimmage at the 20 for PATs for the first couple of weeks of exhibition play, which would’ve have made it a 38-yard kick. It was subsequently moved up to the 15.

That makes it a distance of 33 yards when you factor in the goal posts being at the back of the end zone (which adds 10 yards to the kick), and the eight-yard distance from snapper to holder on place-kicks.

A 33-yard kick still is a chip-shot, but it’s not as automatic as the traditional extra point. Last season in the NFL, there were 295 field goals attempted from a distance of 30 to 39 yards. Kickers made 265 of them, an 89.8 percent success rate.

But that still meant there were 30 misses. So if the extra point line of scrimmage is moved back permanently, a missed extra point here or there could make a difference in a tight game.

“You can’t hit a perfect ball every time,” Zuerlein said. “If you go back and look at some of the PATs that you hit, some of ’em just squeak in. And that’s from (20 yards). So obviously, there’s gonna be misses (at 33 yards).

“Hopefully, I can put all mine in, and I don’t have to deal with any of that. But we’ll see. It’s only for two games. And then they’ll have a ruling on that, I guess.”

Zuerlein went 10 for 10 from 30-39 yards on field goals last year. But he was only four for six as a Rams rookie in 2012. One of those rookie misses from that distance came in the wind and rain in Miami.

If the NFL is going to move back the extra-point line of scrimmage, in effect penalizing kickers for their uncanny accuracy, why not reward them for distance? How about awarding four points for a field goal of 50 yards or more?

Zuerlein, who made a franchise record seven field goals of 50 yards or more as a rookie in 2012, might not be such a traditionalist if that were the case.

“That’d be cool. I can go for that,” he chuckled. “That’s a cool thing to think about. But no, I think it should stay the way it is.”

Zuerlein was a rookie sensation with his long-distance bombs before cooling off around midseason. He was much more consistent last season, missing only two of 28 field goals attempted.

“I was really proud of him, really the last three, four weeks of the (2013) season,” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “I thought he was stronger the last month than at any point in his first year. Or even last year up to that point.”

Fassel had Zuerlein back down on some of his offseason kicking during the 2012-13 offseason, and that may have kept Zuerlein’s leg fresher over the long haul of the regular season in 2013.

This offseason, Zuerlein took a more traditional approach.

“This summer I got back to it a little sooner and I started lifting more instead of taking all that time off,” said the Missouri Western product. “So we’ll see how it goes. We’ve got a ways to go until the season.”

Zuerlein made a few minor tweaks in his mechanics this offseason, but nothing crazy.

“Just little things here and there where I think I can get better,” he said. “Especially on kickoffs. I can get a lot better there. I just haven’t been hitting the ball really that well on kickoffs pretty much my whole career here, I feel.”

That’s hard to tell by the numbers. Zuerlein had 52 touchbacks in 2013, tied for fourth most in the NFL. All told, only 24 of his 76 kickoffs were returned.

“There’s some things we’re working on, on kickoffs,” Fassel said. “And on field goals he knows that his leg strength is dynamite and we’re working on putting it right down the middle every time.”

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think they're doing this so that unsportsmanlike conduct penalties affect the scoreboard. No one cares to get flagged for crap when they know it's still a short FG.

Rambition

Rookie
i may be in the minority here, but i like this idea. i think they should definitely make this permanent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't like the idea.

But mr.stlouis makes a good point, for once.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't like that it almost eliminates 2 point conversions.
It doesn't. Teams still get the ball on the 2 yard line if they're attempting a 2 pt conversion. If anything, it might make them more prevalent if extra points aren't as automatic.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't like that it almost eliminates 2 point conversions.

On the contrary, actually. Two point conversions will still be placed at the same mark. If permanent, it will make teams think twice about going for one in a tight game(or maybe a snow game) and will just try for the two pointer.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It doesn't. Teams still get the ball on the 2 yard line if they're attempting a 2 pt conversion. If anything, it might make them more prevalent if extra points aren't as automatic.

image.jpg

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I think the center to quarterback exchange is too automatic. Every play should have to be run from the shotgun to make it more exciting. Also, and team that run a dive between the tackles should be penalized 15 yards, and instead of a coin toss they should go back to the XFL way of deciding first possession.

I mean, where does it end guys? Why mess with something that is already working?

Greg Stone

Rookie
On the contrary, actually. Two point conversions will still be placed at the same mark. If permanent, it will make teams think twice about going for one in a tight game(or maybe a snow game) and will just try for the two pointer.

I missed that when I read the Washington Post article. In that case, I like it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm indifferent. It seems so pointless. Really a 33 yard field goal? Most of the time players don't even try block b/c it's automatic and you can't score off them.

69superbowl

Rookie
I know the offseason can make us forget little things, but hasn't it always been a 7-yard drop for the holder? Am I wrong about that? Been watching the game for nearly 50 years. Jim T has the PAT/FG drop at 8 yards. Just sayin.

Alan

Legend
69superbowl with a questionable memory:
I know the offseason can make us forget little things, but hasn't it always been a 7-yard drop for the holder?
That's what I remember too but maybe we just have a shorter memory. :ROFLMAO:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know the offseason can make us forget little things, but hasn't it always been a 7-yard drop for the holder? Am I wrong about that? Been watching the game for nearly 50 years. Jim T has the PAT/FG drop at 8 yards. Just sayin.

It used to be a 7 yard drop. Over time the holder has gradually moved back farther - I'd assumed because the rushers have gotten taller over the years - until now it's usually called an 8 yard drop. But yes, when I was a kid I always heard it as 7 yards too.

cracengl

Rookie
They need to set up several rings in various place throughout the end zone. Get the ball through the bronze, you get 1 point. Silver = 2 points. Gold = 45 points, but Tim Tebow gets subbed in as your teams QB for the rest of the game, so maybe think that one through..

Mamfm5

UDFA
I think the center to quarterback exchange is too automatic. Every play should have to be run from the shotgun to make it more exciting. Also, and team that run a dive between the tackles should be penalized 15 yards, and instead of a coin toss they should go back to the XFL way of deciding first possession.

I mean, where does it end guys? Why mess with something that is already working?

I think the point is that is not working. Why even have the extra point, and the injury risk that goes with the extra play, if it is successful 99.6% of the time. I cant find the statistics, but I am willing to bet that the success rate was not this high when this rule was put in place. I get the tradition standpoint, and understand the why some would not want the change. Personally, I know that I would be paying more attention to a 33 yard attempt or a 2 pt conversion attempt than I would watching a kick from the 2.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I think the point is that is not working. Why even have the extra point, and the injury risk that goes with the extra play, if it is successful 99.6% of the time. I cant find the statistics, but I am willing to bet that the success rate was not this high when this rule was put in place. I get the tradition standpoint, and understand the why some would not want the change. Personally, I know that I would be paying more attention to a 33 yard attempt or a 2 pt conversion attempt than I would watching a kick from the 2.

I don't understand why % of time a play is executed successfully = not working.

If someone discovered that the same percentage of tackles were executed properly as PATs, would you be in favor of not having players tackle each other anymore?

I don't understand why % of time a play is executed successfully = not working.

If someone discovered that the same percentage of tackles were executed properly as PATs, would you be in favor of not having players tackle each other anymore?

Don't give Goodell any ideas.