Zac Stacy racking up yards after contact

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/STL/st-louis-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page ... louis-rams</a>

Rams rookie running back Zac Stacy gained 54 of his 79 rushing yards after contact in Week 6. A week earlier, he gained 45 of his 78 yards after contact.

Stacy is averaging 3.0 yards after contact per carry, the third-highest rate in the league behind Adrian Peterson (3.6) and Ben Taint (3.4), according to Pro Football Focus.

“He’s a strong, powerful runner," coach Jeff Fisher said of Stacy, who has seized the starting job. "He’s got good vision and has got that low center of gravity. He’s got excellent lower body strength... The offensive line did a nice job for him yesterday in a limited number of opportunities. It was good to see the extra yards.”

Stacy is averaging 4.9 yards per carry in his two starts.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That means Rich woulda finished the game with 30 yards... :|... the dude goes down so easy. Stacy IS the difference in the offense. He takes pressure off the OL because they know they don't have to block crazy perfect, they just have to play real strong and get some room for him to work. Obviously

Sam is loving the results, as well. He's playing awesome right now and hes looked more comfortable than ever with Stacy running the ball. Standing strong, taking a big hit, and delivering a perfect strike to Cook is an example of this. Our young team has experienced tremendous growth from week 1 to now. Not as a whole, obviously, but the offense found its identity the last two weeks and just in the nick of time. Our season may be saved. Now, I wanna add some points on Stacy.

JJ Flippin' Watt wiffed on Stacy multiple times in the backfield because Stacy is slippery, yet very strong. I honestly love his style of play. That little choppy stutter step in the hole is nasty AND efficient. He wastes no extra effort to do it unlike any other RB we've had since Faulk. Yes, he does it better than Jackson. Jackson wasn't that great at changing direction or stuttering at the LOS. Shoe lace tackles werent uncommon for him at the LOS. Jackson was great when he picked up steam 2 yards past the line. Stacy always has his power, partly due to his height, but he runs behind his pads. Jackson ran straight up in space and lowered the boom. I guess it's personal preference when you look at it from that aspect. But Stacy running the rock has given this team new life. I don't think anyone can argue with that. He's gonna be a great one if he can stay healthy.

And on a side note, supposedly that was the top rated D in the NFL we played last Sunday and the Rams made them look like dog poo in their own house. However, I think Carolina's D poses a great challenge. Seattle struggled mightily against them, but they barely beat Houston, as well. Seahawks fans take credit for the demise of Houston BTW. Man I hate those guys. I hope we give them a demoralizing arse wooping next Monday!!! Can't stand them!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Wasn't he compared to Alfred Morris during draft workouts? I'm pretty sure it was Stacy anyway. His YCO, is very similar so far to Morris' last year when he averaged 2.99. The only questions is if Zac can keep it up.

Source: <a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/16/signature-stats-elusive-rating/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ve-rating/</a>

Edited for source.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
God damn that's actually pretty impressive. I've watched him truck the fuck out of Cushing over and over. Was going ape shit when it happened.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Very impressed with what Stacy did to Houston defense. I feel Rams have found there rb.

Ramzee

Rookie
The Rams have definitely got a player in Stacy. I don't know that he is the long term answer but he is definitely the short term one.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm on board 100% with Zac. Very impressed with his power and punishing brand of moving the 11 guys another several yards, never say quit and NEVER say die! Love him!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In review of the Zac runs in comparison to the DR runs ....it appears that some of our veteran OL'ers particularly Harvey & Jake seem to have this great burning desire to pile into & on with Zac in pushing him & that massive pile of bodies forward to squeeze every inch out of those running plays. I think it also give Harvey his chance to sneak a few get backs on those nasty DL'ers blows. Never doubt or underestimate the desire of retribution. Harvey just knows that zac will still be standing there waiting & depending on him to grind to the last drop.

With DR,the run is over so quick whereas those Zac runs seem to be a slow wine down to the whistle & gives those less quick OL'ers a chance to hit that pile & use that power desire to fuel them unto the next.

Anyone else see this or am I just imagining all this???

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
In review of the Zac runs in comparison to the DR runs ....it appears that some of our veteran OL'ers particularly Harvey & Jake seem to have this great burning desire to pile into & on with Zac in pushing him & that massive pile of bodies forward to squeeze every inch out of those running plays. I think it also give Harvey his chance to sneak a few get backs on those nasty DL'ers blows. Never doubt or underestimate the desire of retribution. Harvey just knows that zac will still be standing there waiting & depending on him to grind to the last drop.

With DR,the run is over so quick whereas those Zac runs seem to be a slow wine down to the whistle & gives those less quick OL'ers a chance to hit that pile & use that power desire to fuel them unto the next.

No, I think you're absolutely right.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Zaphod said:
BonifayRam said:

No, I think you're absolutely right.

Is this Offensive line cadre make up better built to run with a Porsche? or a Massey Ferguson? :huhidk:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
No let's try I. Pead still.... He can run the ball and return so effectively! What are you guys talking about? -_-

RamzFanz

Damnit
mr.stlouis said:
That means Rich woulda finished the game with 30 yards... :|... the dude goes down so easy.

While that is true, it is more a reflection of the bad play calling. Screen to DR - 18 yards. They ran him up the middle every other play. Get DR to the outside and he could be the DR we saw backing up SJ39 last season. Of course you have to mix it up but 1 outside vs 6 or so up the middle?

I'm not down on DR at all. With Stacy power running and sensible play calling, this could be a very nice backfield and change the entire season for the Rams. As it is, it's pretty one dimensional. 90% up the middle it seems. Teams will figure out how to deal with that.

Stacy is exactly who I hoped he would be. Just like college. Great eye for the hole, shakes tackles, power running, hard to take down. SO glad they finally started using him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like Stacy and if he continues he should be our #1 back for a long time. I am less sure about our #2 though. DR did well last year, but it seems Schotty lost all the plays that worked well for him. At this point i don't know whether we need to draft another RB. We haven't seen Stacy have over 20 attempts yet, but i like having a secondary back that can do stuff. Hopefully Schotty can call some plays for DR like he did when SJax was here.

If not we might need to find a back that can fit into his current system....though i still think Schotty sucks and should develop plays that fit our players instead of just using the players that fit his system....but thats another topic altogether...

jap

Legend
Tron said:
I like Stacy and if he continues he should be our #1 back for a long time. I am less sure about our #2 though. DR did well last year, but it seems Schotty lost all the plays that worked well for him. At this point i don't know whether we need to draft another RB. We haven't seen Stacy have over 20 attempts yet, but i like having a secondary back that can do stuff. Hopefully Schotty can call some plays for DR like he did when SJax was here.

It's not so much a matter of Schotty losing plays; it's a matter of defensive focus. Last year, SJ was the main guy, and defenses were primed to stop him---not DR's change-of-pace explosive end runs. This season with DR as the main focus initially, DC's have adjusted to take away what he does well, and the going has proved much more difficult. The fact that DR is mostly a north-south runner with relatively mediocre elusiveness doesn't help, and the sore toe has hurt him even more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tron said:

If not we might need to find a back that can fit into his current system....though i still think Schotty sucks and should develop plays that fit our players instead of just using the players that fit his system....but thats another topic altogether...

Hasn't he?

I'm not Schotty's biggest fan but we tried running a spread and it failed miserably so we adapted to a system that better fit our personnel and it has done well the last couple of weeks.

As far as the no huddle, I think that's Fisher's call more than Schotty's.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think Cunningham sits due to his injury and Pead is activated in his place. What happens with him is beyond me but I think he sees some Pt, even if it is special teams.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
jrry32 said:
Hasn't he?

I'm not Schotty's biggest fan but we tried running a spread and it failed miserably so we adapted to a system that better fit our personnel and it has done well the last couple of weeks.

He has to a point, but what was the point of getting Austin and Cook if we don't use them properly, that has been my biggest beef.

I will admit that Schotty has improved since scaling back. I don't know if the spread failed because of Schotty, the players, or both. We have all this speed but can't use it, kinda sucks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tron said:
jrry32 said:
Hasn't he?

He has to a point, but what was the point of getting Austin and Cook if we don't use them properly, that has been my biggest beef.

I will admit that Schotty has improved since scaling back. I don't know if the spread failed because of Schotty, the players, or both. We have all this speed but can't use it, kinda sucks.

Cook is being used fairly properly. Tavon is a tougher one to pin down. Personally, I'd like to see him get more HB carries if we aren't going to have as many slot snaps in D-Rich's place.

As far as a WR, he could be doing more but a lot of it is Sam and Tavon needing to build up chemistry.

But I do agree, I'd like to see Tavon in at WR for Givens on some of these heavy formations.