Youth leading to lack of execution?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Im still trying to put this last game out of my head. Being there was horrible. Just a flat out lack of competition.

Im trying to stay positve about this team but each game that shows little improvements from the last makes it harder. You name it: game planning, play calling, lack of execution, penalties, etc. While it is easy to blame the OC/DC and Head Coach I am curious how much the youth is holding this team back?

Being bored and wanting to kill time I went back over the last 9 years in the NFL and looked at how the youngest team in the NFL faired. With this years Rams team being the youngest I could find (24.98 average age) by almost a full year more often than not the young teams do not fair well.

Since 2005 I took 9 teams (GB & KC tied in '08) and added up their records.

Combined these teams had a record of 57-86-1 or a rounded season record average of 6-10.

Two teams had a winning record ('06 GB and '09 GB). Perhaps this had something to do with their QB?

All of the others had a .500 record or worse.

There is no doubt this youth plays into the lack of execution. Just curious to get others thoughts on the youth of this team and whether the youth is a bigger issue than the OC/DC game plans.

F. Mulder

Starter
I was going to start my own thread but your thread gives me the entry to get a few things off my chest:

1) Yes the Rams are young but the issues they've had overall are NOT the result of the rookies at least. Going back to the AZ game, the Rams get the ball and are moving on the first drive and lo and behold a penalty (NOT on a rookie btw). The pick 6 by the Rams was not committed by a rookie nor any combination of rookies. The counter, in that game the comeback was led by non-rookies (Quinn, Bradford, etc)

2) The Atlanta game featured an opening drive by Atlanta that should have been stalled and resulted in a punt but there was a penalty on Long (a non-rookie). The Cunningham decision to come out of the end zone was PURE rookie. However, the Rams Defense weren't torched via Ogletree and McDonald, they were torched by a lot of veterans. The inability to move the ball in the first half was not the result of rookies and the comeback included two Austin TDs.

3) The Dallas game was a pure, unadulterated, cluster Eff. The VETERAN OL gave up 100000 sacks and hits and provided no run blocking. The Defense, once again, never met a 3rd down it could stop. Sure the rookies made eff ups but the Dallas loss lies squarely on the hands of the entire roster INCLUDING VETERAN coaches.

For the life of me I cannot figure out whey this team is unable to start a friggin ballgame. I don't care if you are 21 or 41, you should come out flying. The energy level is appalling. Also appalling is the inability to defeat blocks on D, cover receivers on D, and provide protection and running room by the OL.

Look at the Units:

The Offense feature a veteran QB, and a relatively solid OL (You have Dahl (considered solid by most), Long (former All Pro and top pick), Wells (former Pro Bowler), Saffold (oh, I forgot, the wind was blowing too hard and he's out), Williams (former 1st rounder and was with the team last year), and Barksdale (who single-handed is not screwing up the protection). I see "veterans" like Cook not line up right and, at times, seem frustrated, defeated, or uninterested. I see issues with Givens, Kendricks, and Pettis. Austin has made his share of mistakes but he certainly hasn't cost the Rams a big play; in fact his return was once again wiped out but the inability to understand what a legal block is.

Defensively this unit should ROCK. They are filled with studs. Are AO, and McDonald the reason for the losses, the poor starts, the 3rd down conversions? The DL features Long (1st round), Quinn (first round), Brockers (1st round), and rotational guys like Langford, Hayes, Cudjo, and Conrath. Not exactly crappy talent. The LBers feature JL (who has yet to make a play this season IMO, as well as Ogletree and a very old playing Witherspoon. The DBs feature 2nd year player Jenkins, High priced FA, Finnegan on the edge and yet one would argue that T. Johnson is playing as well or better than both of them.

Here's the point:

The mistakes in discipline (minus special teams) and execution are on the VETS. This is a roster filled with STUDS. This is a team that comes out flat as a pancake (where's the player leadership?), this is a roster filled with playmakers yet few plays seem to be made. Why is that?

Finally, this is a pretty highly-regarded coaching staff. Either Walton doesn't have it or Fisher isn't molding the D correctly because it is the same ole bend (but this time break) variety we saw. When G Williams was originally hired and Blake ran the D there was a lot of blow back on Blake and his approach. However, a G Williams D would have been an attacking D. Same with the aborted R Ryan hire. These guys weren't going to be hired to be soft zone, bend and not break Coordinators. I think Fassel is an excellent Special Teams coach but Cripes....can't he bench people who don't know what a legal block is? Schotty was allegedly a OC who could balance the ball game but was somewhat hamstrung by Ryan in NY. What's the deal now? Where is the use of the various mismatches this offense should be creating? Where is the rhythm and creativity? And Fisher is not without blame. I get that he's a veteran coach, and a successful one at that. I like him a lot but if he doesn't have the guts to get in some players' faces, especially the VETERANS, then whatever. I'm all for being a players coach but when your "players' aren't responding it's time for you as HC to step in and get this crap sorted out.

I see a lot of teams with MUCH less talent than this team compete, and win. Nobody can tell me the Chiefs are better than the Rams and yet the Chiefs beat Dallas while we looked like a Division 2 college team. Miami has some pieces but I'd still take the Rams roster and yet they managed to beat Atlanta.

I've grown tired of waiting on potential. All potential gets you is hear break and a firing. I get this is a young time and like it. I get there are growing pains. I get that the 2nd and 3rd year players are still growing. I'm not expecting 3-0 at this point but I did expect a better attitude, effort, and execution across the board.

Sorry for the rant.. :oops:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
good post mulder.

i watched the replay again yesterday this is what i came up with. it looks to me that fisher is trying to protect his rookies on defense and is protecting them from failing. the problem with that imo is it puts to much pressure on the vets and they are failing. johnson and jenkins are playing pretty good cf is not. every snap on D we are playing ten yards off then backing up all of our defense is in a cluster 15 yards off the line after 2 seconds. ya it can help not getting beat deep but it does no good when its third and 10 or less. i think we need to let these young guys sink or swim. they have the talent but fish is known to bring his rookies along slow and protect them.

offense we are doing the same thing. youngsters are running generic short routes. we only have 1 sometimes 2 guys running past 10 yrds. on alot of first and ten or 2nd and goal stuff we run 1 or 2 yrds and turn around only one guy runs past 5 yards wtf kind of routes are these? may be exagerating on the yards but not by much :tooth: i dont know but its frustrating. i think we just need to cut loose a little and let go of the reigns.

F. Mulder

Starter
Thanks for the reply.

I guess my thoughts WERE that this was going to be a team who dictated what happened to other teams and not be reactionary. I get trying to protect rookies and that makes sense obviously, however, the lack of aggression on both sides of the ball is alarming. I think there is a time for a soft zone D but on 3rd and 7 and you are giving up a 8 yard completion then that makes no sense. Get guys up playing press coverage and realize you may get beat once in awhile. Same with the Offense;, at some point you need to put the ball down field and have your receivers make a play or put the pressure on the Refs regarding pass interference etc. I know there have been moments but it just strikes me as a team playing not to lose vs. a team playing to win and that philosophy doesn't mix with what I think of in Fisher and what he represents and says.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yes, the youth is lacking in execution at times and it hurts the team.

Is that why they are failing? We can't know because the OC and DC aren't using them well enough to judge. Right now I would come down to poor execution of poorly drafted schemes that ignore the player's strengths.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Indy has a lot of youth too, they ain't havin issues.

F. Mulder

Starter
Angry Ram said:

First time I saw them was last week vs SF in which I thought they dominated. I kept thinking, with the stench of the Dallas loss still lingering, "I wouldn't want to play them."

Sure hope we turn it around Thursday.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Angry Ram said:
Did you even watch their first 2 games or just assuming based off the San Francisco game?

Angry Ram

Rabid Ram said:
Angry Ram said:
Did you even watch their first 2 games or just assuming based off the San Francisco game?

All of the above and least season too.

I'm beginning to hold these guys (Ram players) to a higher standard now. No more babying them by saying "oh they need time to adjust." Young players all over the league are quickly adjusting. Why do we need to wait for the Rams?

This is a young team, yes. There are also a lot of veterans, they need to be held accountable.

By no means am I becoming an impatient idiot like a fuckin PD poster. I do however, expect more and better performance on the field (and obviously everyone does). I mean young guys stepping up now, veterans taking charge, and coaching to take advantage of opponents' weaknesses.

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
Rabid Ram said:
Angry Ram said:

I'm beginning to hold these guys (Ram players) to a higher standard now. No more babying them by saying "oh they need time to adjust." Young players all over the league are quickly adjusting. Why do we need to wait for the Rams?

This is a young team, yes. There are also a lot of veterans, they need to be held accountable.

By no means am I becoming an impatient idiot like a freakin PD poster. I do however, expect more and better performance on the field (and obviously everyone does). I mean young guys stepping up now, veterans taking charge, and coaching to take advantage of opponents' weaknesses.

This is a good point you make and a real reason why I think the Dunbar suspension has hurt us more than we think.

I really think he was a big piece of the glue that held this defense together. Last year especially the D seemed to morph into his style of play.....Hard nosed, aggressive and tough.

This year, currently, who is our leader on D? JL55? Finnegan?

Whoever it is why have we changed so much on defense from an aggresiveness standpoint? Lack of leadership by the older guys could be a big issue.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
TexRamFan said:
Angry Ram said:
Rabid Ram said:
Angry Ram said:

By no means am I becoming an impatient idiot like a freakin PD poster. I do however, expect more and better performance on the field (and obviously everyone does). I mean young guys stepping up now, veterans taking charge, and coaching to take advantage of opponents' weaknesses.

This is a good point you make and a real reason why I think the Dunbar suspension has hurt us more than we think.

I really think he was a big piece of the glue that held this defense together. Last year especially the D seemed to morph into his style of play.....Hard nosed, aggressive and tough.

This year, currently, who is our leader on D? JL55? Finnegan?

Whoever it is why have we changed so much on defense from an aggresiveness standpoint? Lack of leadership by the older guys could be a big issue.

It's bad schemes man, bad schemes and kids making mistakes don't mix.

As others have already said, it's also the kids being kids, making mistakes that rookies will make. It's hard, but we'll just have to deal.

However, the bad schemes are not helping any and as many have already pointed out, they're slowly stifling this team. As one guy pointed out, a huge difference in our D schemes is we're playing the safeties even further out than we did last year. McLeod and McDonald are playing out even further than Dahl did, with twice the skill as him. Mikell and Dahl played in, thus helping to give the corners help while they're giving that cushion we all know, now McLeod and McDonald are playing so far off to keep teams from beating us through the air that they can't come back and help stop the 7-10 yard passing plays that are killing us.

We more concerned with stopping the big play, so much so that we're allowing the little plays to pile up and kill us.

Angry Ram

Rabid Ram said:
Ok then you saw them struggle pretty good against the Raiders

So what? Last I checked Oakland was still in the NFL and have some talented players of their own (Charles Woodson, Denarius Moore, Darren McFadden, Lamarr Houston, to name a few).

But Indy found a way to win, just like the Rams did against Arizona. I can accept the Atlanta game b/c it was a combo of dumb luck and being outplayed by better players, but Dallas I cannot. We all know why.

Win or lose, I'm more eager to see HOW the Rams play. Of course I want to see the W, but a L like Atlanta won't be surprising; a L like Dallas could and will potentially derail the rest of the season.

Get a W, look good doing it (meaning disciplined football) and beat the Jags the following week. Although I'm having a sickening feeling the Rams will beat the Jags like 19-9 or some other ugly score like that where they should just beat the crap out of them.