You're Going to Think I'm Crazy Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In case you don't know, I'm not trying to predict the future. Just giving a scenario that I would be happy with.
Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR

Restructure
Chris Long DE

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $50 million
Trumaine Johnson - 4 years $28 million
Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $15 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $4 million

Made a tough choice and let Mark Barron walk. It's time to let Mo Alexander step up. I like Barron a lot. But we can afford to let him go in order to fortify other parts of the team.

Free Agency
030314-HOF-Header.jpg

Anquan Boldin WR - 2 years $10 million

Mitchell-Schwartz.jpg

Mitchell Schwartz OG/OT - 4 years $18 million

Akiem-Hicks-2.jpg

Akiem Hicks DT - 2 years $4 million

The Anquan Boldin signing may or may not be popular but with Kenny Britt and Brian Quick departing, we need a veteran presence and if there's been one thing we've needed all year, it's been a reliable option on 3rd down. Boldin fills both of those needs. I think he's got at least one good year left in him. His game isn't based on speed.

I think Schwartz has a lot of potential for the team that signs him. Things are dysfunctional in Cleveland and Schwartz is playing RT. Like his brother, Geoff, I think Mitchell is a better OG than RT at the NFL level. He struggles with speed on the edge. I think moving him inside will help him become a much more effective player.

Akiem Hicks replaces Nick Fairley. He's an extremely talented athlete that fits the Waufle mold in terms of size (6'5" 325) who has underachieved a bit thus far in his career but also shown flashes of brilliance. We have arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. I think he might be able to bring out the best in Hicks who is still a young player.

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #22
Panthers trade Round 1 Pick #28, Round 3 Pick #28

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #22, Round 3 Pick #28
Bears trade Round 2 Pick #9

Rams trade QB Nick Foles
Texans trade Round 4 Pick #12

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #22
Buccaneers trade QB Mike Glennon

Yea, the title comes from the Glennon-Foles scenario. I think they have similar skill-sets but after seeing what Foles offers, I'd rather see if Glennon can give us more next year until our QB of the future takes over. The Texans desperately need a competent QB and Foles actually fits Bill O'Brien's system. The other two trades are just draft day maneuvering when it is most beneficial for us.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #28 - Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRLe5ltOD4g

Analysis: I know what you're wondering...why spend a first on Wentz? Because it buys us a 5th year. You get a 5 year contract for first round picks and that's invaluable with QBs. Some of you may not like Wentz but there's something about the guy that draws me to him. I've seen a lot of his games and he needs time to develop but I think he's a potentially special player if a team is patient. You're going to have to rework his lower body mechanics so the team has to be committed to giving him a lot of reps to fix that issue. I think the Rams can do that. However, everything else is there. He has the strongest arm since Kaepernick, a quick release, above average mobility, great size, and good instincts in the pocket. He's also poised under pressure, tough and competitive as hell, and has the intangibles to be great. I really like this guy. I think he's a special player if a team will actually give him a chance to develop his game.
NFL Comparison: Young Carson Palmer

Round 2 Pick #9 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Analysis: Boyd is the type of WR that falls on draft day. He's not huge (6'2" 200ish) and doesn't have outstanding straight-line speed. However, he possesses great acceleration, outstanding agility, a high level understanding of the game (high football IQ), advanced route running ability, top tier body control, and a good pair of hands. Boyd will drop some easy passes and his motor can run hot and cold as a blocker but he'll make a lot of difficult catches and is excellent at creating yardage after the catch. Like any college player, his route running needs some development but he's very advanced for a college WR and already uses subtle nuances in his route running that you typically only see in veteran NFL WRs. He's also coming from a pro style offense.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 2 Pick #22 - Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and I have a feeling Gregg Williams will find a way to use his versatile skill-set in the mean time. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple is also worth considering.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 3 Pick #22 - Nick Vannett TE Ohio State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11cCvnvNhSc

Analysis: Vannett has the size and ability to be the blue collar TE that Fisher loves. He's been very underutilized in Ohio State's offense. When I saw him play this year, I thought he looked like an impressive athlete as a receiver but Ohio State hasn't used him much in that regard. That might help us out and allow us to snag him lower than he should be available. Vannett is already an effective and willing blocker. There are some technical issues to clean up but he likes to hit people. As a receiver, it's more of a question mark but I see the athleticism for him to be at least a solid player in that regard.
NFL Comparison: Brent Celek

Round 4 Pick #12 - Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuyJjtMpcJs

Analysis: I've still got a lot of evaluation left to do with Kupp but watching the entirety of his Oregon game, he blew me away. His YAC skills are off the charts and he made some tough catches. Also looks to have NFL athleticism and good hands. I think he's a prospect that's definitely worth developing. Plus, you can't argue with his production. He put up 93 catches, 1691 yards, and 21 TDs as a freshman, 104 catches, 1431 yards, and 16 TDs as a sophomore, and currently has 100 catches, 1388 yards, and 18 TDs as a junior. His father was a NFL QB and his grandfather was a Pro Bowl OG.
NFL Comparison: Pierre Garcon

Projected Starters
QB: Mike Glennon
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Anquan Boldin
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Tyler Boyd
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Mitchell Schwartz
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mo Alexander
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Anyways...I know, it's crazy. But I'm fed up with Foles and I do wonder if Glennon could offer more.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like the top two picks a lot. Flacco went 18th didn't he? The Rams may have to move up to get Wentz, not down.

Boyd is a good pick.

Scooby Wright in round 2? I think he is there in round 3 due to his size and injuries......maybe round 4

Vannet in round 3? Too high again IMO.

Kupp in round 4? I'd take Kupp in round 2 and bump the other two back a round. He is a good receiver and this team needs some bad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the top two picks a lot. Flacco went 18th didn't he? The Rams may have to move up to get Wentz, not down.

Boyd is a good pick.

Scooby Wright in round 2? I think he is there in round 3 due to his size and injuries......maybe round 4

Vannet in round 3? Too high again IMO.

Kupp in round 4? I'd take Kupp in round 2 and bump the other two back a round. He is a good receiver and this team needs some bad.

I'm taking Wright wherever I can. I think he's going to be a serious player in the NFL.

I like Kupp a lot. I'd take him higher if I had to. Another guy flying under the radar right now is Roger Lewis. Rumor is that he's leaning towards declaring. Arguably CFB's best deep threat (has an argument against Will Fuller). Has made some incredible catches this year too. Could be a major steal in the 2nd round. Only a true sophomore but is near the top of the NCAA in receiving yards and receiving TDs. Had a 1000+ yard season as a true freshman. He can declare because he grayshirted after HS. Was charged with rape and sat out a year to deal with that. Jury found him not guilty on the rape but he pleaded to lying to the police. Obviously, we'd need to do some research into character because I don't want a rapist on the team but from everything I saw (which wasn't much, I just started looking into the kid), it was a jilted lover crying rape and the jury sided with him.

And it's certainly possible we could have to move up for Wentz. It depends on how the Senior Bowl goes for him. He's a lot more raw than Flacco.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have not seen Lewis play at all. Will check him out.

I would prefer the Rams to get a veteran WR and I wouldn't want it to be Bolden. He is so close to done. Another team change could stick a fork in him. If they go WR in free agency they need to go with a proven guy though, I agree and it will cost them. Bolden of two years ago would have been great. Ditto for Steve Smith. Then add a WR. I am done with hoping for Quick and Bailey to show up. Britt has been a decent deep threat and he fights for the ball. I don't recall what he is costing but I think they need to hang onto him until they know they got the WR spot covered.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have not seen Lewis play at all. Will check him out.

I would prefer the Rams to get a veteran WR and I wouldn't want it to be Bolden. He is so close to done. Another team change could stick a fork in him. If they go WR in free agency they need to go with a proven guy though, I agree and it will cost them. Bolden of two years ago would have been great. Ditto for Steve Smith. Then add a WR. I am done with hoping for Quick and Bailey to show up. Britt has been a decent deep threat and he fights for the ball. I don't recall what he is costing but I think they need to hang onto him until they know they got the WR spot covered.

That's the problem. There aren't good veteran options in FA. Boldin is the best available. If not Boldin, you're going to have to overpay for guys like Crabtree, Randle, Marvin Jones, etc. who will ask for longer term deals with a lot more guaranteed money. I'd rather not risk money on guys that aren't #1s.

Alshon is the only FA WR I'd throw money at. We can get Boldin on a reasonable deal because of his age. And like I said, his game ages extraordinarily well because it's based on his physicality and strong hands. Two things that aren't going away. Only big concern I have is him staying healthy. I think he still has a couple more 800-1000 yard seasons in him as a reliable possession WR. Plus, the leadership he'll bring will be valuable too.

Definitely check Lewis out. He's been roasting CBs all year long on deep balls and has made a couple amazing catches...including this one:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13961261

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Glennon is on the market, why wouldnt Houston trade for him? Seems more a fit in Houston than Foles

Stel

Starter

I like Wentz a lot but think he needs to sit a year. I think throwing him into the fire first year could ruin him. Might make him the perfect QB pick for us.

This early, hard to tell where he goes. A lot will depend on who declares early. Right now, most public prognosticators have Wentz as the fourth, fifth, or sixth rated QB. At least two, maybe three, of the ones ahead of him still have eligibility left. If all declare, I think he won't go until late first at the earliest. My view of Wentz is he is this year's Garoppolo, or maybe Carr, going somewhere in the second round. If Goff and/or Lynch stay in school, he could move into the later first round. Of course, there is always the chance he could be this year's Bortles and go very early.

If jrry32 can pull it off, I'd be very happy with Wentz and Boyd as our first two picks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dont know much about Wentz but he sure has a cool name. I imagine his draft stock would be enhanced by playing in one of the All star game bowls after the season (if hes eligible)

Stel

Starter
Dont know much about Wentz but he sure has a cool name. I imagine his draft stock would be enhanced by playing in one of the All star game bowls after the season (if hes eligible)

He is out with a wrist injury but expected back by All Star game time. Probably would be good for him to go to the Senior Bowl so scouts can see him against high level competition. Given the injury, his agent may not want him to play or throw until his pro day.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is out with a wrist injury but expected back by All Star game time. Probably would be good for him to go to the Senior Bowl so scouts can see him against high level competition. Given the injury, his agent may not want him to play or throw until his pro day.
Interesting.
Again, I havent seen him play but looking at the stats, I have to say I'm not all that impressed.
For a guy to play at a small school I expected to see some better numbers. Only 1 career 300 yard game?

Stel

Starter
Interesting.
Again, I havent seen him play but looking at the stats, I have to say I'm not all that impressed.
For a guy to play at a small school I expected to see some better numbers. Only 1 career 300 yard game?

North Dakota State doesn't run a wide open passing offense. Over the last two season, they run about twice as often as they pass. Wentz was 15-1 as a starter in 2014, leading NDSU to the National Championship. He was 4-2 this season. 63.7% passer both season with a 25/10 TD/int ratio in 2014 and 8.7 yards per attempt; 63.7% this season with a 16/2 ratio and 8.1 yards per attempt. I don't think he has had a single draftable pass catcher or many draftable players around him. Watch him.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/carson-wentz/

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
North Dakota State doesn't run a wide open passing offense. Over the last two season, they run about twice as often as they pass. Wentz was 15-1 as a starter in 2014, leading NDSU to the National Championship. He was 4-2 this season. 63.7% passer both season with a 25/10 TD/int ratio in 2014 and 8.7 yards per attempt; 63.7% this season with a 16/2 ratio and 8.1 yards per attempt. I don't think he has had a single draftable pass catcher or many draftable players around him. Watch him.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/carson-wentz/
I hear what you're saying, its just that when his name gets added to the likes of other small school QB like Roethlisberger, Garopolo and Flacco, I'd expect some similar results. Each of those guys threw for mad yardage. So if he's that good, why isnt the offense more geared to him. Coming from a small school, missing most of his final year I would sure hope he shows up at the Senior bowl

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting.

His production, prior to his injury, was better than Joe Flacco's.

He has been invited to the Senior Bowl. I think he should go.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Like a lot of the idea's here. Love NDSU players . Mostly they have translated well. My biggest change is MY favorite to be JL's replacement in REGGIE RAGLAND from Alabama who calls their defense and is a lil' bigger than Scooby and as you can see with the drafting of Kendricks from UCLA to the vikings and he has missed time as his size that had him leading college football in tackles I believe (Pac 12 "D" player of year last year but after having some good games leading vikes has worn down due to his size.

I would Like Reggie Ragland as I think his size and ability to do it all , while calling all the"D" lineups. Smart and with more size than Frank or Scooby . LSU and Fournette was shut down by Bama and he waas a lock for the Heisman last week. I have noticed the RAMS scouts are not missing any Baylor games. Love the kid others hate at DE. We need to get Chris Longs replacement and I am a fan of Big Oakman who is a man amoungst boys and does not give full effort on every play. I like the Baylor and TCU WR's along with the Pitt kid for a WR.

The bengals have 3 WR's that will be Free agents after season and I like Sanuu for us as a player we can aford and is a great route runner with hands . They can't sign all three with others to sign also like our own situation. I see us resigning Barron and initially with having our DE's playing Barron even raised the level that Alec Ogletree had set that was awesome. Don't think after what we saw last week against Vikes that Mo Alexander is up to any level near Barron.

Instead of Schwartz We have to give Cody Wichmann who I truly believe is as good or BETTER than Jamon Brown is . Its Williams and Battle that need to be worked heavily if we are to Kick G. Rob inside after 8 more games. We will see. Its gonna take a lot to keep our "D" at top 5 level all while upgrading this sad offense. We need a new STUD DE & MLB as I believe C. Long will be let go as I doubt he will except 4-5 Mill and play as a replacement. I think someone will pay him. We can not as he is too injured too often and I think he has lost his fastball and his back and Hip are worse than his knee is.

To add a Reggie Ragland to Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron behind oor front four DL with a new upgraded top DE as there are at least 10 top rated DE pass rushers this year. I also love the Oklahoma State DE. Good Stuff Jerry .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Glennon is on the market, why wouldnt Houston trade for him? Seems more a fit in Houston than Foles

Maybe they would. Can't say for sure. They're pretty similar. Maybe O'Brien would prefer Foles's experience?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His production, prior to his injury, was better than Joe Flacco's.

He has been invited to the Senior Bowl. I think he should go.
His production is nothing like Flacco. Flacco had a 4K season, a lot of 300 yard games, a couple of 400 yard games including playoffs and against a D1 opponent.

I haven't watched him and in no way am judging him. I just expected to see more from Wentz stats.
Where there's smoke there's fire though and if experts (yes I include you there) are talking him up there's obviously more than just stats.
Look forward to seeing him in the Senior bowl

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His production is nothing like Flacco. Flacco had a 4K season, a lot of 300 yard games, a couple of 400 yard games including playoffs and against a D1 opponent.

I haven't watched him and in no way am judging him. I just expected to see more from Wentz stats.
Where there's smoke there's fire though and if experts (yes I include you there) are talking him up there's obviously more than just stats.
Look forward to seeing him in the Senior bowl

Over Flacco's 26 games at Delaware, he had 41 passing TDs to 15 Ints. Wentz, in 22 starts at North Dakota State, has 41 passing TDs to 12 Ints. Flacco's completion% was around 63.4%. Wentz's completion% is around 63.7%. Wentz's YPA is around 8.5. Flacco's was around 7.5.

The only major difference in their production is passing yards. Because Wentz plays in an offense that runs the ball much more often. Yet, despite a lot less attempts, Wentz has the same number of passing TDs in less games.

Is he as good of a prospect as Flacco? No. Flacco was more polished. But Wentz's production isn't an issue. He was on pace for a huge year before his injury.

Stel

Starter
I would add to jrry32's post, that if Wentz had thrown as many passes as Flacco, at his same production rates, he would have had 7868 yards to Flacco's 7046), 70 TDs (to Flacco's 41), and 13 ints (to Flacco's 15).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right. Wentz didn't have Flacco production. That's all I'm saying
Flacco had over 7k passing yards, several 400 yard games (in playoff and against Div 1)
Td equal passing yardage not close.
Again, I don't know anything about him and I trust that there are good reasons to be pumped about the kid. I'm just surprised that for a small school kid his numbers don't jump off the charts like the McNair/Roethlisberger/Garapolo/Flacco did