Your thoughts on Fisher in 2014 ... and now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, given that the Rams had been snakebit at the QB position two years in a row by Bradford's ACL tears. But even then, I was frustrated with the offense and his hire of Schotty, which I think was a mistake when he could have had Hue Jackson. And my instincts regarding his hyper-cautious (read: scared) approach to offense seem to have been right, as this year is clearly showing with his slow-walking the development of Goff.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I was not posting here in 2014.

But my thoughts on Jeff Fisher in 2014 were that, until he had a decent QB, he got a pass. A .500 record in a tough NFC West division is roughly where I thought many quality teams would finish if you took away their starting QB for the season. I stand by that. Plus, we all knew it would take at least a season or two just to even get to respectability after the mess Fisher inherited

2 years later I want him gone. He still lacks the QB. But that's now his own stubborn fault given his handling of Goff. Worse, and the biggest reason I want Fisher gone, is that this team continually makes the same mistakes. That is very telling. It starts at the top. We need a culture change.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I never really liked the hiring of Fisher. He burned out in Tennessee and he's doing the same thing with the Rams. He's pretty good at getting some talent but he doesn't utilize it. Bruce Arians would have this team at 5-2 or 6-1 and Jared Goff would be in the running for ROTY.

TXRams86

The Infamous
My opinion hasn't changed. He's a sub .500 coach that thinks he's the smartest guy in the room when he really isn't.

Will never win us a super bowl. Stubborn and unwilling to adapt to changing times.

Players "love him" because he expects so little of them. I'd love to work for an organization that pays me very generously for losing efforts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
2 years ago I voiced my opinion of Jeff Fisher as our head coach. My view has not changed. Has yours changed since 2014? Please look at this old thread below and be honest, has your view changed since then?

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/im-not-sure-coach-fisher-is-the-answer-because.30576/
Not really. I still think he's been beset by injury at the most important position on the field -- until now (presumably). Most teams don't win a whole lot with Clemens, Hill, Davis, and a skittish Bradford, and a melted down Foles. If he gets one more year, and Goff starts, and THEN they don't make the playoffs ... then yeah. Time to go in another direction. That said, if he doesn't get another year, then that's fine by me too.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think my opinion has changed, I have less faith and belief in him. I actually have lost a bit of respect for him as well.
The sample size is large enough with or without the challenges he has had to face with injuries to key positions ( QB...)
NFL coaches are paid to overcome and prepare for these challenges. ( see: Belichick )
We have what if'd enough it is time to move on and I may be wrong but to me he is behind todays NFL and seems committed to his way, to succeed or in our case fail

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My opinion has evolved somewhat...After the 2014 season, I recognized (and still do) that Fisher had inherited one of the worst teams in professional football. If memory serves me, EVERY player cut in 2012, never played in the NFL again (or at least almost all of them). He replaced just about everyone in 3 years, and so had the youngest team in the NFL with an injury prone QB. I dIecided I should suspend judgement until after year four, in which case, he should be fired if the Rams did not have a winning record. He did not, and I thought he should have been fired in 2015, but then the relocation drama unfolded.....He has been given more time and resources (draft picks, etc) than most HC's EVER get.to make a winning team

No Mas, Senor Fisher!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not really. I still think he's been beset by injury at the most important position on the field -- until now (presumably). Most teams don't win a whole lot with Clemens, Hill, Davis, and a skittish Bradford, and a melted down Foles. If he gets one more year, and Goff starts, and THEN they don't make the playoffs ... then yeah. Time to go in another direction. That said, if he doesn't get another year, then that's fine by me too.

Wow ... is all I can say. You sir, will never be accused of making a decision too quickly. ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wow ... is all I can say. You sir, will never be accused of making a decision too quickly. ;)
Yeah, but see, that's just it. it's not my decision. I'm fine either way with whatever they do, because .. well, there's no other choice. Other than not being a fan of the Rams anymore - which isn't a choice at all. In the mean time, I'm only pointing out what are very real hindrances to team success. And I'm kinda anxious to see if Goff makes all of this "Fire the Coach" stuff go away. Winning does cure about everything that ails ya, after all.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I think my opinion has changed, I have less faith and belief in him. I actually have lost a bit of respect for him as well.
The sample size is large enough with or without the challenges he has had to face with injuries to key positions ( QB...)
NFL coaches are paid to overcome and prepare for these challenges. ( see: Belichick )
We have what if'd enough it is time to move on and I may be wrong but to me he is behind todays NFL and seems committed to his way, to succeed or in our case fail

Disagree in that I haven't lost respect for him nor do I think that he's behind times. I feel that is a fan exaggeration.

It's not personal for me

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Disagree in that I haven't lost respect for him nor do I think that he's behind times. I feel that is a fan exaggeration.
It's not personal for me

You don't think Fisher is behind the times? Stubborn? In over his head?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
You don't think Fisher is behind the times? Stubborn? In over his head?
One at a time please

Behind the times? No
Stubborn? Yes
In over his head? No

Those are really personal assessments to me and I don't really do that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes. I'm still obsessed with turnovers. Can't win if you can't take care of the ball and be opportunistic with momentum changes. Fisher is losing this battle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As I always do with a Rams coach, I stayed behind Fisher, until I start to believe that that he is at the point of no return. I knew Fisher had a huge reclamation job to do and was willing to give him time to do it. But this season most of the pieces are in place, especially since drafting Goff, and he is still wetting the bed.

I supported him in August but now I am convinced that he is the last remaining problem.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he was a good hire to steady the ship and rebuild what was pretty much the worst roster in the NFL ... then we had the RGIII trade and things were looking up ... players like Quinn Donald Gurley drafted and making an impact .... but for whatever reason fisher is a .500 coach ... he has taken the Rams as far as he can go

The blatant refusal to play goff ... his undying loyalty to Keemun ... throwing pretty much everyone but Keemun under the bus ..I feel like the pressure is getting to him

But my absolute biggest gripe with fisher is that against division rivals this team look like fricking world beating Super Bowl champ against.... anyone not in the NFC west we look like a pop warner team who have. Ever played together before

This team was built to compete in the division the only issue is we only play 6 divisional games in a 16 game season

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
First of all, I wouldn't mind seeing Fisher replaced if only for the sake of change, but I also felt that way with Mike Martz and that didn't work out too well, in fact it was a disaster. The Rams were 53-32 under Mike Martz. The Rams were 43-100 under Vitt-Linehan-Haslett-Spagnuolo.

Being mired in mediocrity causes the average fan to long for someone different to take charge. Nothing wrong with that. But sometimes it doesn't work out the way we hope it will.

Came across this article that illustrates that point. Jaguars fans got tired of the same-old-same-old(Jack Del Rio) and made a change at the head coach position. Then everything fell apart. The Raiders made a change at the HC position and now things are looking better. The point is to be careful of what you wish for.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-game-ball-after-they-trounce-his-old-team/

Raiders give Jack Del Rio a game ball after they trounce his old team
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 24, 2016

The Jaguars fired Jack Del Rio after nine years as a 68-71 record.(sound familiar?)

They’re 18-57 since then, and even if the Raiders coach wasn’t going make a big deal of it, his players were going to make sure it was a special day for him.

According to Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com Del Rio was given a game ball after the easy 33-16 win yesterday

The Jaguars grew frustrated with Del Rio topping out at seven or eight wins a year, but they haven’t won more than five in a season since he left.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You guys keep saying he's a .500 coach.

He's not. We haven't gone .500 under Fisher