Your Preseason Week 2 OL Depth Chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm a big OL fan, as some know, and I've opined quite a bit on the depth chart. I've also pined for Barrett Jones to swoop me up in his manly arms and take me away... I mean, lock down a role... ahem...

After the Saints game, what's your depth chart? Based on actual play vs. another NFL team. Plus my mancrush apparently prepping for a trip to IR :cry:

Me:

LT: Long
LG: Robinson
C: Wells
RG: Saffold
RT: Barksdale

There's a big "No Shit Dewey" section, but for once, the starting 5 isn't in question on the line. Continuing...

T/G: Mike Person
G: Davin Joseph
C/G: Tim Barnes
G: Travis Bond

Practice Squad:
C: Demetrius Rhaney
OT: Sean Hooey
OT: Mitchell Van Dyk

Injured Reserve:
G/C: The Man, The Miracle, The Mancrush, Barrett Jones, MD, PhD, DMD, Esquire

Whatch'all think?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I agree with yours. I'm cool with having Steven Jackson 2.0 and Van Dyk on the practice squad. Not so sure about keeping Hooey on the practice squad.Not much of a fan. I guess it would depend on the other practice squad spots and who you plan on filling them with.

Alan

Legend
Practice Squad:
Pretty much what we've been saying all along with the exception of Jones.

I'm not sure all of those guys are worthy of the PS. I might try slipping Hooey on there first and then if we have space for the other two try Rhaney next. Although I don't like either one.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I think you nailed with one possible exception:

With Wells' recent injury history, I think we don't want to expose Rhaney. He really came on last season & had a terrific pre-draft workout. He definitely has surpassed BJ in every area but pie eating.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

With Wells' recent injury history, I think we don't want to expose Rhaney. He really came on last season & had a terrific pre-draft workout. He definitely has surpassed BJ in every area but pie eating.
You're thinking Barnes, not Rhaney, I think.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

One thing to recall here Sierra is Mike Person has done some centering in his travels in some NFL camps...so if lets say Barrett does go IR either for half a year or the full year Person may get some time in the middle behind Barnes & Wells. However your point has good merit to it. I do not want to loose Demetrius Rhaney either. He is our fastest quickest OLer & even though he had a rough outing Friday night I believe he is a keeper. With the ongoing center issues Wells & Jones health puts Boudreau in a position to get Rhaney that much more attention. Next season it may be very unlucky for both Wells & Jones if the hard work put into Rhaney pays off.

Same can be said about ORT Sean Hooey....who will never be a OLT but he could be a possibility @ ORT.

I feel that its a no brainer that the Rams keep 10 TEN OL'ers on the master roster.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing to recall here Sierra is Mike Person has done some centering in his travels in some NFL camps...so if lets say Barrett does go IR either for half a year or the full year Person may get some time in the middle behind Barnes & Wells. However your point has good merit to it. I do not want to loose Demetrius Rhaney either. He is our fastest quickest OLer & even though he had a rough outing Friday night I believe he is a keeper. With the ongoing center issues Wells & Jones health puts Boudreau in a position to get Rhaney that much more attention. Next season it may be very unlucky for both Wells & Jones if the hard work put into Rhaney pays off.

Same can be said about ORT Sean Hooey....who will never be a OLT but he could be a possibility @ ORT.

I feel that its a no brainer that the Rams keep 10 TEN OL'ers on the master roster.
What position do you remove one from to keep 10 OL? We've got depth that will be hard to cut at DL, LB, CB, S, WR... someone we like's going to have to take the PS challenge, and we're going to have to risk losing him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What position do you remove one from to keep 10 OL? We've got depth that will be hard to cut at DL, LB, CB, S, WR... someone we like's going to have to take the PS challenge, and we're going to have to risk losing him.

My contention all along is to learn from history....The Rams in 2012 & 2013 just about had more injuries in the OL than they had in all the other units together. Saffold-Wells-Long & Joseph have one thing in common they have injury history often! There were times last season when the Rams had 11 OL'ers on the master roster due to injuries. We already have started the pre season with 3 starters not playing and one valuable back up (Jones) injured.....this before the hitting starts.

If there is a chance of a PS challenge of loosing a valuable player then let the other units take the hits! Not the OL you can not take the chance again to put Sam Bradford back behind a patched together WWC OL again.When the season came to an end last year the Rams had only one healthy starter still standing at his position, OLG Washington was the 5th OG on the team, OLT Williams was the 4th OT, OC Barnes was our back up center & ORG Smith was the 4th OG that 17th game was a very ugly embarrassing game.

Last year how many serious injuries did we have in the DL? How many did we have in the LB'ing unit? RB unit? WR unit? TE/H-Back unit? in order to keep a sound 10 OL'ers I would go with 8 in the DL or 9 in the secondary or 5 LBers or 5 WRs's & take my chances. Our DL is talented healthy & thick enough to go with 8.

Last edited:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Hooey doesnt deserve to be on ps, ill give van dyk and rhaney the benefit of foubt because they are rookies.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
With Wells having playing time issues the Rams will look at players at the final cut downs for another backup C if Jones is out for the year. Rhaney isn't ready to go against starters yet, but he will next year. Same with Van Dyk is in same boat. Needs time.
Person, Hooey ... I don't know what to say. As a camp report said Quinn eats their breakfast, lunch and dinner all at the same time. So does C. Long, Hayes and Sims. Yeah the Rams have some great pass rushers. But so do other teams. They have a hard time with 3rd stringers pass blocking. Play them against the Seahags dress a lot of TE's and run the ball a lot.
At least one of them will make the 53.
Bond can help the team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With Wells having playing time issues the Rams will look at players at the final cut downs for another backup C if Jones is out for the year. Rhaney isn't ready to go against starters yet, but he will next year. Same with Van Dyk is in same boat. Needs time.
Person, Hooey ... I don't know what to say. As a camp report said Quinn eats their breakfast, lunch and dinner all at the same time. So does C. Long, Hayes and Sims. Yeah the Rams have some great pass rushers. But so do other teams. They have a hard time with 3rd stringers pass blocking. Play them against the Seahags dress a lot of TE's and run the ball a lot.
At least one of them will make the 53.
Bond can help the team.

There was a big big reason Snead & Fisher were a frogs hair away from selecting a very good pass blocker OT Zack Martin with our first round pick @ #13.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram fearing deja vu:
With Long, Wells, and Saffold's history; they have no choice.
I can see that happening because of the past but if we end up keeping 10, we won't be keeping the best 53 players IMO.

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
There was a big big reason Snead & Fisher were a frogs hair away from selecting a very good pass blocker OT Zack Martin with our first round pick @ #13.
100% correct. It seemed crazy to a lot of people at the time. But would have been a good move. They have 4 very legit tackles on the team this year. They have a starting Guard in Joseph on the bench. This is still the best line depth they have had in years. And it wouldn't surprise me to see Dahl back very soon if another interior guy goes down.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Here's my "prediction" as to the 10 man O-Line to make the 53 man roster:

Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Person, Joseph, Barnes, Bond & Hooey

PS: Van Dyk & Rhaney While athletic enough, Rhaney is still VERY raw as a Center. Actually has more experience at Guard then Center.

fearsomefour

Legend

Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Barnes, Person, Joseph, Hooey, Rhaney.
Basing that on the preseason game only.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm a big OL fan, as some know, and I've opined quite a bit on the depth chart. I've also pined for Barrett Jones to swoop me up in his manly arms and take me away... I mean, lock down a role... ahem...

After the Saints game, what's your depth chart? Based on actual play vs. another NFL team. Plus my mancrush apparently prepping for a trip to IR :cry:

Me:

LT: Long
LG: Robinson
C: Wells
RG: Saffold
RT: Barksdale

There's a big "No crap Dewey" section, but for once, the starting 5 isn't in question on the line. Continuing...

T/G: Mike Person
G: Davin Joseph
C/G: Tim Barnes
G: Travis Bond

Practice Squad:

Injured Reserve:
G/C: The Man, The Miracle, The Mancrush, Barrett Jones, MD, PhD, DMD, Esquire

Whatch'all think?
Nailed it. Good job. Jones IS the wildcard. Van Dyk....don't see him making it, at all.

fearsomefour

Legend
Nailed it. Good job. Jones IS the wildcard. Van Dyk....don't see him making it, at all.
Van Dyk seemed tentative (or maybe just slow) on plays where he was asked to move and block, missed several times. Maybe this will improve as the play book comes into focus for him. For a young guy from a small school who didnt expect to be drafted it can be a struggle to believe, really believe, you can compete at a high level.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It seemed to me that one of the major plusses with the way the Rams were building the O Line was versatility.

Having lineman who could play multiple positions along the line allowed you to not only play your best 5 - but to plug in your 6th best lineman if someone went down.

I guess center is really the exception to that with this line.

Assuming Joseph starts games on the bench - anyone who gets hurt on the O Line (except Wells) - Joseph is the first man up - plug him in at RG and move Saffold to the vacated spot.

Seemingly, this would also allow us to carry one fewer lineman on the active roster.

I still wonder what dominos would have fallen if the Cowboys had taken Manziel and we had traded up for Martin. Would it have meant cutting Wells? Benching Barksdale? What was the thought process there - or was it really just a matter of "we have this as a top 10 guy and he has slipped" - let's grab him and figure it all out later?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It seemed to me that one of the major plusses with the way the Rams were building the O Line was versatility.

Having lineman who could play multiple positions along the line allowed you to not only play your best 5 - but to plug in your 6th best lineman if someone went down.

I guess center is really the exception to that with this line.

Assuming Joseph starts games on the bench - anyone who gets hurt on the O Line (except Wells) - Joseph is the first man up - plug him in at RG and move Saffold to the vacated spot.
Seemingly, this would also allow us to carry one fewer lineman on the active roster.
I still wonder what dominos would have fallen if the Cowboys had taken Manziel and we had traded up for Martin. Would it have meant cutting Wells? Benching Barksdale? What was the thought process there - or was it really just a matter of "we have this as a top 10 guy and he has slipped" - let's grab him and figure it all out later?

My thoughts on the reasoning by Snead for the selection of OT Zack Martin with the Rams first round pick#13 was to insure the Rams most powerful OL'er remains @ the post which has the most positive impact for the Rams offense. Saffold remaining @ OG!

I agree with you on the major pluses of having reserve OL'ers like Person (who can play all 5 OL posts), Barnes ( who has played the 3 interior OL posts) & Jones. One problem with top reserve Davin Joseph he plays only one OL post...ORG. Your assuming that Saffold is the main fixer to all the Rams injury issues? That scares the dickens out of me! Saffold being the fix for injury issues? Saffold has been an injury nightmare playing OT. The best player & most dominating OL on the field when healthy is Saffold when playing inside!

I know that most fans see the cure for injury @ OT as you, but I consider any plans to remove your most powerful OL from his best most powerful playing position to fill an need @ both OT post weakens the OL dramatically. Most consider Davin Joseph as a close equal to Saffold but I am of that opinion not even close. Joseph has not shown he is anything close to being Saffold like @ OG.

The option of inserting Saffold back @ the posts that Boudreau removed him from in 2012 & 2013 is an option to have but as I have maintained Saffold has shown he is a much less impact player @ OT....then the next issue that you will have to soon address is how long before you loose Saffold from the field for long period of time due to injuries while playing that OT position...something he has repeated & repeated over & over for three straight years. Now your back to where you were before you moved Saffold now you have to find another OT & you have lost your most powerful player from the OL.

IMO keeping Saffold @ starting OG is a priority best to keeping the OL as original formed as planned & insert your best OL reserve @ OT post & go with it, having just one OL post to boost up instead of two weakened OL posts.

The most seasoned unit on this team by a large margin is the OL. The oldest unit on this team is the OL. The most injured unit by a far margin is the OL. In dealing with this unit.... best to get yourself some very good insurance.....how do you get that type of Ol insurance @ this time of the season keeping your OL unit filled to the max ......the last unit you want to shortchange would be the protection for Sam Bradford.

Last edited: