Your ideal alignment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Just for fun...with the Bears coming to town and the amount of Bears fans in proximity it always makes me wish we played the Bears twice a year.

So it got me thinking "How would I align the NFL"...

Well, if I was ONLY picking the division the Rams were in it would be really easy. I'd put the Rams, Bears, Chiefs, Colts, and Titans in the same division(obviously doesn't work having 5 teams, but whatever) :heh: ). St.Louis fans would be able to drive to each of these locations and the opposing fans would be able to do the same to each city. There are some other pretty obvious reasons why as well. There could be a great rivalry with the Titans for history reasons as well as Jeff Fisher. The Bears and Chiefs are natural rivalries that would be really great. And the Colts...well, I guess the only reason I'd pick them is their location.

But I also know that is my ideal scenario and probably isn't likely to ever go down. Though I understand some of you Rams fans that have many more years invested than I do will look to the 49er rivalry, and I understand that. But I also believe that assuming the Rams are in St.Louis to stay that the rivalry has grown cold in St.Louis and the "hatred" aspect just isn't there. Sure, fans here grew tired of the 9ers whooping the Rams every year so there was that stigma to it. But there just isn't that buzz when the 9ers come to town like there is with the cities other sports teams rivals. Having said that I just don't value that rivalry and I don't believe the majority of this market do either, at least not to the degree that the old "LA Rams fans" and the like do.

But my thread isn't to argue about that aspect in anyway...I just thought it would be fun to see how this diverse group of Rams fans would choose to align the entire NFL if they were in charge. So here is how I'd do it...and look forward to seeing yours...

Div.1- Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers
Div.2- Broncos, Cards, Vikings, Chiefs
Div.3- Packers, Bears, Rams, Colts
Div.4- Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Titans
Div.5- Falcons, Jags, Bucs, Dolphins
Div.6- Lions, Browns, Bengals, Bills
Div.7- Pats, Giants, Jets, Eagles
Div.8- Steelers, Ravens, Redskins, Panthers

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've done that alignment a few times, and ultimately someone's going to say that you're going to lose long-established rivalries.
To which I say ... whatever. Make new ones.

Do away with divisions, do away with inter league play, every team plays every other team in their conference, no playoff games only the Super Bowl.

Failing that put us in a division with the Jags, Bucs and Vikings, we should win that division.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Nice topic Sum. As much as I do like our history with SEA and SF, I wouldn't mind something different. Although assuming we're going to see a lot of Rodgers and Luck over the next 10 years that would be a tough couple games every year. On the bright side we'd probably get a lot more prime time games :wink:
Although, I wouldn't mind Div. 6 and beating that drunk asses team twice a year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've done that alignment a few times, and ultimately someone's going to say that you're going to lose long-established rivalries.
To which I say ... whatever. Make new ones.
Agree whole-heartidly.

To me a chance to see your team on the road at a city you can drive to in a few hours is more valuable and realistic.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agree whole-heartidly.

To me a chance to see your team on the road at a city you can drive to in a few hours is more valuable and realistic.

More valuable for sure because it virtually assures every game could sell out. Well at least most of them.

PhxRam

So someone in Phoenix would have to drive to Denver, Missouri and Minnesota? That aint happening

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So someone in Phoenix would have to drive to Denver, Missouri and Minnesota? That aint happening

It's difficult to make work...give it a shot.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Count me as one of the someone's who will miss pre-existing rivalries.

I have learned to adjust throough the years though. Having said that... I still hate the falcons and the saints like they are division rivals,,, and the fucking shecocks are still an AFC team of bitches in my mind.

When you look at the difficulty many teams are having selling out / filling their stadiums on Sundays,,, maybe realignment is something to be seriously considered. Maybe.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Div.1- Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers (this one works, though that "drive to your rival's stadium" thing would only work for the niners and raiders)
Div.2- Broncos, Cards, Rams, Chiefs (geographically, this works better. I know it isn't what you had in mind, but what you had is entirely unfair to the Vikings)
Div.3- Packers, Bears, Vikings, Lions (the current NFC North is the best geographically located; I wouldn't change it at all)
Div.4- Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Titans (this works too)
Div.5- Falcons, Jags, Bucs, Dolphins (the Deep South Division)
Div.6- Colts, Browns, Bengals, Steelers (again, the AFC North is almost geographically perfect, excepting the Ravens)
Div.7- Pats, Giants, Jets, Bills (call this the New York Division + 1; wouldn't that piss of the Pats)
Div.8- Eagles, Ravens, Redskins, Panthers (the Atlantic Coast Division)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Div.1- Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers (this one works, though that "drive to your rival's stadium" thing would only work for the niners and raiders)
Div.2- Broncos, Cards, Rams, Chiefs (geographically, this works better. I know it isn't what you had in mind, but what you had is entirely unfair to the Vikings)
Div.3- Packers, Bears, Vikings, Lions (the current NFC North is the best geographically located; I wouldn't change it at all)
Div.4- Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Titans (this works too)
Div.5- Falcons, Jags, Bucs, Dolphins (the Deep South Division)
Div.6- Colts, Browns, Bengals, Steelers (again, the AFC North is almost geographically perfect, excepting the Ravens)
Div.7- Pats, Giants, Jets, Bills (call this the New York Division + 1; wouldn't that piss of the Pats)
Div.8- Eagles, Ravens, Redskins, Panthers (the Atlantic Coast Division)
I'd swap the Titans and Cards.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I can see the logic in that.

I'd love the way you have it...I like X's suggestion even better.

At this point, I'd be thrilled to have just one division team within driving range. It just sucks that it's a major commitment to get to ANY division game in the current format.

Honestly, my first choice of a team to play would be the Bears...but Chiefs are second and I'd be ecstatic with either.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'd love the way you have it...I like X's suggestion even better.

At this point, I'd be thrilled to have just one division team within driving range. It just sucks that it's a major commitment to get to ANY division game in the current format.

Honestly, my first choice of a team to play would be the Bears...but Chiefs are second and I'd be ecstatic with either.

It wouldn't affect me one way or the other being so far from STL but I totally get the commitment part. To get to any game outside of MIA or TPA starts at about $1500 with airfare, hotel, car rental & tickets. And that's before I even have my first $12 beer!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It wouldn't affect me one way or the other being so far from STL but I totally get the commitment part. To get to any game outside of MIA or TPA starts at about $1500 with airfare, hotel, car rental & tickets. And that's before I even have my first $12 beer!
Exactly.

I usually find one game a year to travel to. In the most recent years I've gone to Tennessee, Tampa, and Chicago. I was going to go to the Indy game this year but since I'm getting married in March the funds are a little tight...but that's alright, my brother is planning my bachelor party for a trip to Canton and East Rutherford Super Bowl weekend.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Exactly.

I usually find one game a year to travel to. In the most recent years I've gone to Tennessee, Tampa, and Chicago. I was going to go to the Indy game this year but since I'm getting married in March the funds are a little tight...but that's alright, my brother is planning my bachelor party for a trip to Canton and East Rutherford Super Bowl weekend.

Nice trip! Congrats on the marriage, BTW.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah I wish Tenn was in the division, Nashville is a great place to visit ,close enough ,like to take my boat up the Cumberland from Lake Barkley and stay there,love to do it for a football game,early season.