Your guess for Starters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I made this same thread at stltoday and got no attention...not enough negativity involved I suppose.

Anyway...this is what I am expecting at this point.

Offense:
QB: Bradford
RB: Jackson
WR: Quick, Givens, Amendola-slot
FB: Miller
TE: Kendricks
LT: Saffold
LG: Ojinaka
C: Wells
RG: Dahl
RT: Smith

Defense:
SS: Mikel
FS: Murphy
CB: Jenkins, Finnegan, Fletcher
OLB: Dunbar, Hull
MLB: Laurinaitis
DE: Quinn, Long
DT: Langford, Brockers

K: Zuerlein
P: Hekker
LS: McQuaid

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I would think darian stewart might make the starting lineup but this list sounds right

Anonymous

Sum1BTRthnU said:
I made this same thread at stltoday and got no attention...not enough negativity involved I suppose.

Offense:

Defense:

Some comments. All IMO, needless to say.

1. I don't see how Givens starts. He will be taking a back seat to Salas, who is far ahead of him; if Smith can play Smith will be ahead of both.

2. I don't see how Kendricks starts as a lone TE. He was not drafted to be that and doesn't fit. I dunno maybe BrianS. finds a way to do that, but LK is a move TE for 2 TE sets, not a traditional in-line "only TE" type TE.

For that matter, will they be a 2 TE offense, a FB/1 TE offense, or both depending?

3. Just a pure guess on my part but I see Mattison ahead of Ojinaka. Plus if Ojinaka starts, basically, they have no 3rd OT.

4. Murphy is a CB and will stay at CB. Stewart is the SS and will stay at SS.

5. The word we're getting is that Fletcher may not even play this year and may even end up on the PUP list.

I agree that Bradford is the qb. :cool:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

Offense:

Defense:

1. I don't see how Givens starts. He will be taking a back seat to Salas, who is far ahead of him; if Smith can play Smith will be ahead of both.

2. I don't see how Kendricks starts as a lone TE. He was not drafted to be that and doesn't fit. I dunno maybe BrianS. finds a way to do that, but LK is a move TE for 2 TE sets, not a traditional in-line "only TE" type TE.

For that matter, will they be a 2 TE offense, a FB/1 TE offense, or both depending?

3. Just a pure guess on my part but I see Mattison ahead of Ojinaka. Plus if Ojinaka starts, basically, they have no 3rd OT.

5. The word we're getting is that Fletcher may not even play this year and may even end up on the PUP list.

I (mostly) based my lineup on reports and analysts assumptions...which the assumptions are opinion so that's all suspect. I'm also assuming a clean bill of health for the roster until it's official.

I've read that Quick and Givens are expected to start on the outside. This according to the P-D. Nothing official, but I am guessing there was some sort of indicator that this has at minimum been considered by the coaching staff already.

A lot of people dismiss Tony Softli's analysis, but I think there is some value to his insight...he has suggested that Ojinaka will be given the chance to beat out Mattison and probably will...D'Marco Farr agreed. (I will say that I heard this after I originally thought this would be the way it shook out.) I don't think Ojinaka starting at guard takes him out of the picture of the 3rd tackle either.

The positions that I've used purely my opinion on are safety and TE. I like Darian Stewart, but I'm not so sure he is really ready to start. I think he is a classic example (that we have had a recent history doing with this team lately) of seeing some ability and exaggerating it to fill a need. As for Murphy...just a hunch, and choice by default. He likes to hit so I could see some FS potential there given his history of coverage being a CB.

TE...who else would be the starter there? I mean, Illinois Mike? I think that is the one guy I'd have to take injury into consideration with. I agree with the move TE view on Kendricks but I don't know if that means he isn't atop the depth chart.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I dont think our starting RG is currently on the roster, but if I had to plug a guy in now it would be Rok Watkins.

He has excellent size & good arm length to consider as a Guard at the NFL level. He is a good overall athlete, who shows very good body control, balance, & lower body flexibility in his play. He shows good initial quickness & strong hands to sustain his run blocks. He shows good pulling agility with decent sustain ability on the move. He shows good lateral agility & recovery ability within a short area in pass protection. He shows the ability to sit vs. the spin move & to anchor down against the bull rush

Also I think Stewart starts at SS. Mikel at FS.

I disagree with ZN. I think Givens has the inside track on starting opposite BQ. Givens only real knock is he's "soft". Look at the CBs he's gonna face every day in camp. Cortland, Tru, Jenkins, Flecter, and Murphy. He'll toughen up real quick or he'll be eaten alive. Salas IMO is a slot guy. I dont see him starting outside. Smith and DX pose the only competition to Givens. Givens is more explosive than both.

Anonymous

Sum1BTRthnU said:
zn said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

Offense:

Defense:

I (mostly) based my lineup on reports and analysts assumptions...which the assumptions are opinion so that's all suspect. I'm also assuming a clean bill of health for the roster until it's official.

I've read that Quick and Givens are expected to start on the outside. This according to the P-D. Nothing official, but I am guessing there was some sort of indicator that this has at minimum been considered by the coaching staff already.

A lot of people dismiss Tony Softli's analysis, but I think there is some value to his insight...he has suggested that Ojinaka will be given the chance to beat out Mattison and probably will...D'Marco Farr agreed. (I will say that I heard this after I originally thought this would be the way it shook out.) I don't think Ojinaka starting at guard takes him out of the picture of the 3rd tackle either.

The positions that I've used purely my opinion on are safety and TE. I like Darian Stewart, but I'm not so sure he is really ready to start. I think he is a classic example (that we have had a recent history doing with this team lately) of seeing some ability and exaggerating it to fill a need. As for Murphy...just a hunch, and choice by default. He likes to hit so I could see some FS potential there given his history of coverage being a CB.

TE...who else would be the starter there? I mean, Illinois Mike? I think that is the one guy I'd have to take injury into consideration with. I agree with the move TE view on Kendricks but I don't know if that means he isn't atop the depth chart.

I heard and read everything you heard and read and came to different conclusions.

If FISHER already named the starters at WR then he's not as competent as we thought. He needs to see who he has and last year's film doesn't tell him plus Givens may be if anything even further behind than Quick. So if the PD said that, it was a mere opinion on the part of the writer. We'll see.

Mattison is a better player than Okinaka, and so I assume that wil be how that works out. We'll see.

You don't want your 3rd tackle starting at guard because then if a tackle goes down you make 2 changes to compensate, not one, which increases the instability. So I think whatever it is Farr and Softli said there, it's not well considered. We'll see.

Stewart will be fine. He is more than ready to start. We'll see. Murphy is a corner.

To me, the issue is not "who is the starter at TE"--the issue is "will they run 2 TE sets." If they do Kendricks is a starter. If not, he is a role player in a 1 TE offense, not a starting "1 TE" type TE. He was drafted as a hybrid, not as an in-line TE, and I doubt he fits the role of a single in-line TE.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's way too early for me, the only thing I know is that Bradford will be behind Wells, and Jackson will be behind him.

Other than that, it's hard to say...

As for the TE debate, I feel that Kendricks will get a majority of the snaps there. We'll have to see what happens in camp, not much has really been said about the playbook, we can only guess by going off of the style that he's ran in the past.

I'd expect two TE sets and stuff though, plenty of them. I think Kendricks and Big Mike are the two guys at the top in terms of who we have at that position though.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sum1BTRthnU said:

Offense:

Defense:

:LOLLLL:

OL: Saffold, Smith, Wells, Mattison, Dahl (just to be different, sum1's prediction is probably right).
RB: SJack
WR: Amendola, Salas, Quick

DL: Quinn, Langford, Brockers, Long
LBs: Dunbar, Laurinaitis, a veteran that gets cut in June/July
CB: Finnegan, Jenkins (it would be Fletcher but who knows about his knees)
S: Mikell, Stewart

K: Zu
P: Me

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
zn said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

Offense:

Defense:

I heard and read everything you heard and read and came to different conclusions.

If FISHER already named the starters at WR then he's not as competent as we thought. He needs to see who he has and last year's film doesn't tell him plus Givens may be if anything even further behind than Quick. So if the PD said that, it was a mere opinion on the part of the writer. We'll see.

Mattison is a better player than Okinaka, and so I assume that wil be how that works out. We'll see.

You don't want your 3rd tackle starting at guard because then if a tackle goes down you make 2 changes to compensate, not one, which increases the instability. So I think whatever it is Farr and Softli said there, it's not well considered. We'll see.

Stewart will be fine. He is more than ready to start. We'll see. Murphy is a corner.

To me, the issue is not "who is the starter at TE"--the issue is "will they run 2 TE sets." If they do Kendricks is a starter. If not, he is a role player in a 1 TE offense, not a starting "1 TE" type TE. He was drafted as a hybrid, not as an in-line TE, and I doubt he fits the role of a single in-line TE.

No issue, ZN...no issue. :ww:

I don't disagree with your reasoning on Ojinaka/Mattison...but I think any coaching staff (except for the last regime) is going to let the best players start rather than keep the best player on the bench because of a "what could happen" in regard to injury and line shuffling. Whether Ojinaka is better than Mattison is definitely arguable...and that will definitely play out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sum1BTRthnU said:
zn said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
zn said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

Offense:

Defense:

No issue, ZN...no issue. :ww:

I don't disagree with your reasoning on Ojinaka/Mattison...but I think any coaching staff (except for the last regime) is going to let the best players start rather than keep the best player on the bench because of a "what could happen" in regard to injury and line shuffling. [hil]Whether Ojinaka is better than Mattison is definitely arguable[/hil]...and that will definitely play out.
It is, and I would argue that Ojinnaka is better than Mattison. We will have to also see what Watkins brings to the table and the other Guard the Rams signed...forgot his name, sorry. The Rams will probably give more guys a look there at the LG, such as Hughes. I think we might see two rookies starting at corner/nickel, out of the 3 positions. I think Stewart will start. I have no idea who the 3rd receiver will be, in fact, I see Amendola as the only sure starter. It will be a fight. Not sure on the tight end, but if healthy, I think it would be Hoomanawanui in base formations.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like Quinn Ojinn too. Mainly because that sounds smooth. But, I did like what he brought to the table too. The main thing is, there's some competition at camp now. Until then, I don't think any of us know who is the better fit, or who has more desire. That, like Sum said, is all going to play out.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Sum1BTRthnU said:

Offense:
[hil]FB: Miller
TE: Kendricks/Hoomanawanui[/hil]

Defense:
[hil]FS: Murphy[/hil]

WRs: I'm not so sure that our drafted rookies will be ready Week 1 to start (and shine). Smith will be out there quite a bit in the early going, and if he does well, getting him off the field in favor of the rookies might not happen. Salas will be out there too, slot or otherwise. I'm pretty sure the goal is to feature Quick and Givens, but rookie receivers take time (unless you're AJ Green). This will be a very young offense (outside of Jackson) and the only way it starts strong is if Bradford shakes off last year quickly. Considering what he did the last time he had a full offseason, I don't think a bold prediction is required.

FB/TE: I think we'll see Miller, Kendricks and Uh-oh in and out of the lineup a lot. I don't think it matters who starts.

Stewart is the other starting safety. Even if Murphy or Johnson switch to safety, they're well behind Stewart.

The other OLB is up for grabs. We could see one of the rookies in there, but again, Hull is higher on the depth chart.

steferfootball

Starter
Is Goldburg still on the Roster? He can play guard if nothing else. iirc, he beat out Quinn a year or two back. He doesn't provide much along the lines of run blocking, but he is a serviceable pass blocker. I donno...I'm really uncomfortable with the LG.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
steferfootball said:
Is Goldburg still on the Roster? He can play guard if nothing else. iirc, he beat out Quinn a year or two back. He doesn't provide much along the lines of run blocking, but he is a serviceable pass blocker. I donno...I'm really uncomfortable with the LG.
Last I heard he was working out for da Bears.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
So no one else thinks Rok Watkins has a shot to start at RG? Its only between Ojinaka and Mattison?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
So no one else thinks Rok Watkins has a shot to start at RG? Its only between Ojinaka and Mattison?

I think its pretty much up for grabs for all 3 of them, or they could be some eventual FA signing there.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Alright, I'll take the bait:

Offense:
Line - Saffold, Mattison, Wells, Dahl, Smith
QB - Duh
RB - Duh
FB - Miller
TE - Kendricks
WR - Smith, Amendola

Defense:
Line - Long, Langford, Brockers, Quinn
LB - Dunbar, Lauranitis, ?? (Rookie FA possibly)
CB - Finnegan, Fletcher (assuming he is healthy)
FS - Mikel
SS - Stewart

I do think that the NAMED starting WRs will be Steve Smith and Danny Amendola. I think in reality Quick will be on the field quite a bit and when he is DA will go to the slot. The thing I like about this group of WRs is the various matchups we can try to put together.

On defense, the WLB might not be on the roster yet, unless it is one of the rookies. And I think that Jenkins breaks camp as the #3, assuming he beats out Gordy for that. When he comes in the game Finnegan slides inside. I think Johnson is the #5 corner and if he is as good as some think, what a great deal that would be for the Rams to have CB as a position of strength! What a concept in a passing league!

Anonymous

Okay I was a little critical but I will put up mine too so others can criticize IT. :cool:

I have more than 11 per unit because I include the nickel, 2 TE sets, and the 3rd WR

CB Jenkins
CB Finnegan
nickel Murphy...UNLESS Murphy goes to corner in nickel situations and Finnegan goes to nickel, the way A.Wms used to.
FS Mikell
SS Stewart
WLB Dunbar
MLB Laurenaitis
SLB Hull
DE Quinn
DT Langford
DT Brockers
DE Long

LOT Saffold
LOG Mattison
OC Wells
ROG Dahl
ROT Smith
TE (move TE) Kendricks
TE (in-line TE) Mulligan
QB Bradford
WR Quick? Smith? Salas? Givens = too green but he'll get reps
WR Quick? Smith? Salas?
WR Amendola
FB Miller
RB Jackson/Pead

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'd rather have salas starting over amendola. salas can make things happen after he catches the ball, amendola can't.

i'm guessing fisher will have plenty of 2 TE sets. alot of big passing plays are available, especially if the run game is going well.

jenkins and johnson have to prove they are better than fletcher to get a starting gig. of course if fletcher isn't ready to go you would assume jenkins will be thrown into the deep end.

stewart looked pretty good last season after a shakey start. i hope daniels sticks and pushes him for playing time.

very excited about the d moving forward. dline and dbs look very strong. lbs will be better because the dline should be better which will hopefully free them up to make some plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Okay I was a little critical but I will put up mine too so others can criticize IT. :cool:

I have more than 11 per unit because I include the nickel, 2 TE sets, and the 3rd WR

CB Jenkins
CB Finnegan
nickel Murphy...UNLESS Murphy goes to corner in nickel situations and Finnegan goes to nickel, the way A.Wms used to.
FS Mikell
SS Stewart
WLB Dunbar
MLB Laurenaitis
SLB Hull
DE Quinn
DT Langford
DT Brockers
DE Long

LOT Saffold
LOG Mattison
OC Wells
ROG Dahl
ROT Smith
TE (move TE) Kendricks
TE (in-line TE) Mulligan
QB Bradford
WR Quick? Smith? Salas? Givens = too green but he'll get reps
WR Quick? Smith? Salas?
WR Amendola
FB Miller
RB Jackson/Pead
Sounds about right. But -5 for misspelling Laurinaitis' name. No, make that -10.

I'm kind of anxious to see this new UDFA fullback we picked up and how he'll battle it out with Chubby D (Miller). That kid is stupid strong. I see Quick WR1 and Smith WR2 (provided Smith can make it through camp). If not, then I think Salas gets a look at WR2.