Young gun QBs and Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
All the young QB talk has been limited to 5 guys.
RG3
Luck
Kaepernick
Wilson
Newton

Newtown is the low man on the totem pole right now, getting less ink than the others. Unfortunately, Cam has poor coaching and and a subpar supporting cast. He looks lost right now.

From what I see and hear the two top young guns are Luck and Kaepernick, with Russell getting his fair share of kudus and coming in 3rd.

RG3 has that injury issue hanging over him, so he is 4th at best.

Now here's where I'm going with this....

Bradford is one year outside the window of getting consideration as a young gun although he is actually 5 days younger than Kaepernick. Bradford has a lot more playing time in the NFL than Kaepernick, but most of it was detrimental playing time with so much of it setting him back, while all of Kaepernicks time was pushing him forward. Try to imagine Bradford starting out with the Niners and with Harbaugh as his coach. My guess is that we are singing a completely different Bradford song.

Fran Tarkenton said on the Fast Lane yesterday that he really likes Bradford and thinks he has the stuff it takes. Fran said he would be shocked if Sam didn't have a break out year and that the Rams are gonna be a factor this year. He said Sam finally has a supporting cast and a good organization in place. He said Bradford has just got to keep himself healthy and he will be a very very good and consistent QB and that's what you need to win a championship. Fran was critical of both Josh Freeman and Christian Ponder, basically saying you can tell if guys can play right away and they don't have it.

I think Bradford's case is pretty unique. This is his 4th year starting but 2 of them were lost years. I think he can be considered in the conversation of the young guns, although he won't be by the media. That's fine. Just have that break out year like Tarkenton said and it's all good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Once the love-fest with the read-option dies, so will the love for read-option QBs. The camera stays on the QB until he gets rid of the ball, so that's what everyone in the media studies and is enamored with. So it's only natural that the media will be hypnotized by the camera FOLLOWING the QB around the field too.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
X said:
Once the love-fest with the read-option dies, so will the love for read-option QBs. The camera stays on the QB until he gets rid of the ball, so that's what everyone in the media studies and is enamored with. So it's only natural that the media will be hypnotized by the camera FOLLOWING the QB around the field too.

I don't think the read-option is going to die. Luck isn't a read-option QB but he's still mobile enough to scamper around and not take many sacks. QBs will need to be more mobile in the future, but still out there to do their main job - throw the football.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iBruce said:
X said:

I don't think the read-option is going to die. Luck isn't a read-option QB but he's still mobile enough to scamper around and not take many sacks. QBs will need to be more mobile in the future, but still out there to do their main job - throw the football.
Yeah, I didn't mean to lump Luck into that group. I know he's a different type of QB. He's a gunslinger.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya know, the guy we are all overlooking is Tannehill. The kid has looked pretty darn good considering his lack of weapons. And he goes up against Luck this week. I'm very interested in this game. Miami has an excellent D, so if Tannehill plays well this year they could challenge in the East.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'd remove Andrew Luck from that list and throw in Michael Vick.

BSPN gets a boner over those running QBs and it's staying firm.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Angry Ram said:
I'd remove Andrew Luck from that list and throw in Michael Vick.

BSPN gets a boner over those running QBs and it's staying firm.
I wouldn't quite call vick a YOUNG gun lol

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Not sure I agree completely regarding Cam Newton even being on the totem pole.

I think he's had an ok supporting cast in the past, especially at receiver.

Stats don't tell the whole story and with Cam I think that is particularly true.
Sometimes if you look at his stat line he looks ok, or even good.
However, when I watch him play I see an often wildly inaccurate passer being bailed out time and time again by his receivers.
Maybe this year his supporting cast has diminished and its really having an effect.
In short, I've never thought of Cam Newton as a good QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
iBruce said:
X said:

I don't think it'll die either cuz it'll always be a way to elevate the QB play without a Luck, Bradford, Brady,Manning type of elite pocket passer, I DO think that the RGIII experience will sour a lot of people on expending top draft picks on those guys when guys like Kaeperprick and Wilsonuva sonuva sonuva sonuva sonuva son of Seahawk are available at lower cost.

Luck went ahead of RG for a very good reasonand IMO had Sam been in the same year as RG, he'd have gone ahead of him too.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Rambitious1 said:
Not sure I agree completely regarding Cam Newton even being on the totem pole.

I think he's had an ok supporting cast in the past, especially at receiver.

Stats don't tell the whole story and with Cam I think that is particularly true.
Sometimes if you look at his stat line he looks ok, or even good.
However, when I watch him play I see an often wildly inaccurate passer being bailed out time and time again by his receivers.
Maybe this year his supporting cast has diminished and its really having an effect.
In short, I've never thought of Cam Newton as a good QB.

Screw Cam Newton SOB was supposed to beat Seattle for me last week, he's dead to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree in total about Newton with Rambitious1. He is not a complete QB by any stretch.
A lot of this has to do with system and coaching as stated by Max. Watching Kap his entire college career at UNR the knock on him coming out (and it was justified) was accuracy. He run all day in college and had a huge arm but there were times he would miss wide open receivers. I was sure he was a career backup in the NFL because of his accuracy issues. He played for Chris Ault at Nevada (Mr. Pistol offense) who is a college football HOF coach. But, it just goes to show to how much coaching and scheme make a difference. Kap is a very accurate passer now. That has to go to his coaching with Harbaby in SF.
I think Luck is going to be great and can do everything. RGknee is going to settle into being mostly a pocket passer first...and he has the skills/arm as a QB to do this. I think Wilson will slowly sort of decline to a C+ qb....maybe that is wishful thinking.
The running QB is the most overrated thing to me forever in the NFL. A pocket passer can make presnap reads step up hold the ball for 2.5 seconds, not get hit and pick up 30 yards for his team on an average play in a game. If a guy runs for 30 yards its a highlight play. Total production is almost always going to favor a pocket passer. That said, the advantage that a guy like Kap gives the Whiners is just the threat of the run. He barely ran vs. GB but threw for over 400 yards.
Maybe we are entering a "new era" of QB play. I dont really believe this as the injury risk is too high to have a QB really running 20 times a game in the NFL.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fearsomefour said:
I agree in total about Newton with Rambitious1. He is not a complete QB by any stretch.
A lot of this has to do with system and coaching as stated by Max. Watching Kap his entire college career at UNR the knock on him coming out (and it was justified) was accuracy. He run all day in college and had a huge arm but there were times he would miss wide open receivers. I was sure he was a career backup in the NFL because of his accuracy issues. He played for Chris Ault at Nevada (Mr. Pistol offense) who is a college football HOF coach. But, it just goes to show to how much coaching and scheme make a difference. Kap is a very accurate passer now. That has to go to his coaching with Harbaby in SF.
I think Luck is going to be great and can do everything. RGknee is going to settle into being mostly a pocket passer first...and he has the skills/arm as a QB to do this. I think Wilson will slowly sort of decline to a C+ qb....maybe that is wishful thinking.
The running QB is the most overrated thing to me forever in the NFL. A pocket passer can make presnap reads step up hold the ball for 2.5 seconds, not get hit and pick up 30 yards for his team on an average play in a game. If a guy runs for 30 yards its a highlight play. Total production is almost always going to favor a pocket passer. That said, the advantage that a guy like Kap gives the Whiners is just the threat of the run. He barely ran vs. GB but threw for over 400 yards.
Maybe we are entering a "new era" of QB play. I dont really believe this as the injury risk is too high to have a QB really running 20 times a game in the NFL.

Nice Post.

I firmly believe that if Bradford had stayed in college one more year and had been drafted by Harbaugh in SF in 2011, then Bradford would be playing lights out by now.

Fisher has saved Sam's career from being a total waste but Sam would have been even better with a guy like Harbaugh. And if Devaney had drafted Kaepernick and Spags was still coaching the Rams, that kid would be wallowing in obscurity.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
max said:
fearsomefour said:

Nice Post.

I firmly believe that if Bradford had stayed in college one more year and had been drafted by Harbaugh in SF in 2011, then Bradford would be playing lights out by now.

Fisher has saved Sam's career from being a total waste but Sam would have been even better with a guy like Harbaugh. And if Devaney had drafted Kaepernick and Spags was still coaching the Rams, that kid would be wallowing in obscurity.

I tend to agree with this.