Yanking opposing players from pile-ups will result in a 15-yard penalty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Jeff Fisher is on the rules committee and I hope he emphasizes to the players to be extra careful about this rule. We don't one more reason for another bonehead penalty. Btw isn't "scrum" a rugby term?
********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/17/nfl-to-better-police-fumble-scrums/

NFL to better police fumble scrums
Posted by Mike Florio on July 17, 2015

fumble.jpg
Getty Images

As the football-following world continues to wait for the NFL to finalize new rules for the handling of footballs in the wake of #DeflateGate, the NFL will have a new approach to the process of attempting to get a handle on footballs that were mishandled.

NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino tells John Kryk of the Toronto Sun that the league will pay close attention to the manner in which players remove opponents from fumble scrums. Per Kryk, Blandino says the league will “strictly enforce” a prohibition on the yanking of players from these pile ups.

Violations will result in a 15-yard penalty. Offenders presumably will be fined, too.

The goal is to further promote player safety. So while plenty of nasty stuff likely will still happen at the bottom of the pile away from the eyes of the officials, the visible stuff that occurs on the fringes of the process will result in consequences.

Lurker

UDFA
I'd rather see them penalize players 5 yds for not getting off the pile when the ref tries to pull them off and 15 for getting back on the pile. The length of some these scrums can get ridiculous. When people won't get off and keep jumping back in, even though they obviously have no shot at the ball, it gets pretty stupid.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This goes against everything these guys stand for. Protecting and/or standing up for their teammates. I predict every team in the league is going to get flagged for this penalty this season, because you won't find a player around that won't yank someone off of one of their teammates if said person refuses to get off the pile.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
NFL Please quit ADDING more reasons for the Zebra's to feel like they must get MORE camera time!!!!! Start reducing reasons for the unprofessional clowns to be THE reason why a team wins or loses. We need Zebra stats and more grading with a system for the ones that just can't help from being a game changer. Rotation of these guys needs to be implemented more. You HAVE the $$$ NFL . I don't care where they actually live. I see BIAS and smell it too. We are hated by so many of them. Lets get a fair clean slate somehow. Even tho Jeff Fisher has done nothing but coachspeak in 3 years to reduce our chippy image and play. No more excuses when some teams can keep their composure so much better..... IT SEEMS...maybe they'll have their own autograph football cards next. YIKES!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I hear you guys - but the stuff that happens after the whistle in the NFL is just out of hand. I'm all for playing thru the whistle / but the pushing and shoving when guys are standing around sets a bad example for the youth of the world. In the end, it's a sport - not an actual war. Sportsmanship matters - and the NFL is sucking hind tit in that department.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
That's dumb, that's definitely more helpful than just standing around while their buddies are getting beaten up or knifed. I mean, I understand like flinging them across the field and beating the crap out of them, but just pulling them off and moving them away seems to be effecting the least of the problems with the scrum.

Like Lurker said, maybe penalize the guys who are sitting in the scrum ripping and clawing at somebody even though somebody established possession like an hour ago and all they're doing now is holding up the game. The scrums would basically never even happen if you took out the 4 or 5 guys that jump in after the fact.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This goes against everything these guys stand for. Protecting and/or standing up for their teammates. I predict every team in the league is going to get flagged for this penalty this season, because you won't find a player around that won't yank someone off of one of their teammates if said person refuses to get off the pile.
This.
100x this

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
if said person refuses to get off the pile.
That's the problem, not players yanking other players off the pile.

Still trying to figure out how yanking someone off the pile endangers the safety of players. Total BS rule and 15 yards is way to much. Just another way the NFL can help their favorite teams win.
How about fining players that don't get off the pile after the whistle blows unless you are physically grabbing the ball of which probably only 2 players will be able to do. Start fining them a % of salary and you'll see players that can't get off that pile fast enough if they don't have the ball.
Or the refs could just use cattle prods.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That's the problem, not players yanking other players off the pile.

Still trying to figure out how yanking someone off the pile endangers the safety of players. Total BS rule and 15 yards is way to much. Just another way the NFL can help their favorite teams win.
How about fining players that don't get off the pile after the whistle blows unless you are physically grabbing the ball of which probably only 2 players will be able to do. Start fining them a % of salary and you'll see players that can't get off that pile fast enough if they don't have the ball.
Or the refs could just use cattle prods.

Because the player that gets yanked gets pissed off and can start a fight.

We'll see how the refs execute this tho, I doubt they'll do it consistently or effectively. I bet small pushes and shoves get penalized. These guys can't even get freaking holding calls right.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I predict the following will soon be a penalty too ;)

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Very fitting that they show a pic of the panthers piling on in the article.

Maybe if the zebras would consistently throw flags on shit teams who make a habit of piling on... players wouldn't have to yank the cheap shot artists off the pile.

They got this one back-ass-wards.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

We'll see how the refs execute this tho, I doubt they'll do it consistently or effectively. I bet small pushes and shoves get penalized. These guys can't even get freaking holding calls right.
Really all you need to do is start penalizing guys for jumping into the pile late.

Like the first four or five guys that get in I can understand, but when you've got like half the team in the pile and half of the guys on there came in after possession had long been made just ripping and clawing at each other, that's what instigates fights more imo.

Get rid of the situation entirely, if you're just going to pick on one minor nuance of it then they might as well not have even wasted their time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams will be the first team called for this penalty!
580x362

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

That's how I see it too. This is a penalty designed to try and prevent tempers from flaring any further. A dude coming out from a pile is already pissed, no need to have the added aggrivation of someone from the other team dragging him out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't understand. With Fisher on the comity, and him being an x-Player, and a Players Coach. How or why he would let it happen!
Was this passed by a unanimous Vote?
How does the voting work?
" THE PLAYERS SHOULD DEMAND A REPEAL OF THIS RULE!!"