WR corps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
while I really don't see this position as the weak spot it once was I do have to admit I really long to see some passes caught downfield and generate some YAC. It seems like our downfield passing game is limited to our big targets going up for a pass and getting tackled right away. Likewise, most of the YAC type of plays happen around the line of scrimmage.

Britt and Quick are big targets downfield but neither is generally going to make short passes into big gains or deep passes into more than where they catch them.
Bailey is a smooth runner and generally as sure handed as it gets but doesn't have that consistent break away speed.
Austin has the speed but rarely is he running downfield routes.
Givens has the deep speed but is never used that way anymore and he rarely would catch a pass in stride either.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it would really be nice to see complete reciever on this team that runs good routes and has good enough speed that he can make short passes into longer gains and long passes into TDs.

iced

I love Quick as the #2 when his shoulder heals - but man outside of him, I still think we're missing "That guy" - I like our current receivers as complimentary receivers, but I don't see a true stud among them. Not someone a coordinator is gonna have nightmares game planning for. Maybe Tavon developes into that? but I don't see it with how he is used

And when it comes to playing in the division, I don't see anyone who is going to challenge Seattle and Arizona's secondary.

Alan

Legend
That's not what I've been seeing Sum. I've often seen big separation by Britt, Cook or Quick only to have the pass so badly under thrown that the WR is tackled almost instantly. What I don't see, is huge cushions being given our WRs like I often see us do on D.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We're not missing anything other than creative offensive coordination that maximizes talent within the scheme.

Look at the Patriots. They have garbage at wideout, what do they do? Two TE sets and attack the middle of the field with a strong running game. Year to year they adjust based on their personnel.

Schotty is a guy Fish expected to develop into a great OC and head coaching candidate. Didn't happen. Cut bait and upgrade, IMO.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Can we upgrade? Yes. Do we need to? No.

If a guy like Amari Cooper is just sitting there for whatever reason, than I'd take him in a heartbeat. And I'd take a flyer in the 2nd on a guy like DGB. Nothing less than that though, don't want to take a receiver to take a receiver. I think we're pretty set unless an elite talent comes along.

Athos

Legend
I'd love White or Cooper. But we have bigger needs.

Though we have no more 9-route guy since Givens went into his turtle shell. He CAN be replaced. My vote is Duke Williams from Auburn in that regard.

But really though, Hill and Davis have RAG arms. Just wet noodles galore. Hard to run deep routes when the QB can't air it out.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Britt had Peterson beat all day. Hill didn't see him most of the time and the other times Britt had to go up and get it

RamzFanz

Damnit
while I really don't see this position as the weak spot it once was I do have to admit I really long to see some passes caught downfield and generate some YAC. It seems like our downfield passing game is limited to our big targets going up for a pass and getting tackled right away. Likewise, most of the YAC type of plays happen around the line of scrimmage.

Britt and Quick are big targets downfield but neither is generally going to make short passes into big gains or deep passes into more than where they catch them.
Bailey is a smooth runner and generally as sure handed as it gets but doesn't have that consistent break away speed.
Givens has the deep speed but is never used that way anymore and he rarely would catch a pass in stride either.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it would really be nice to see complete reciever on this team that runs good routes and has good enough speed that he can make short passes into longer gains and long passes into TDs.

With a solid QB like Bradford and a good O line, I think this WR corps is as good as most any on the field.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...and the deep ball was negated a LOT by the pass rush.
One thing that people always said about Davis was he couldn't read the blitz and that Hill wouldn't have those problems. But it was plenty of times hill held on to the ball way too long. He should have identified the blitz and got rid of the ball

reggae

We have 1. his name is Brian Quick. if I could get a 2nd round pick for TA. I would do it before the night is over

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We're not missing anything other than creative offensive coordination that maximizes talent within the scheme.

Look at the Patriots. They have garbage at wideout, what do they do? Two TE sets and attack the middle of the field with a strong running game. Year to year they adjust based on their personnel.

Schotty is a guy Fish expected to develop into a great OC and head coaching candidate. Didn't happen. Cut bait and upgrade, IMO.
I'm stating to agree with you, but we also have a problem with Players executing plays properly! ( Merlin, Love you sig! Wish we had Martz last night!)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our WR corp is looking pretty darn good right now. Quick was coming into his own, Britt is playing well(looks like a solid #2 WR), Bailey is coming into his own, and I'm seeing progression in Tavon as well. Expecting big things from Quick, Bailey, and Tavon. And if Britt stays, he offers us a good veteran option and a leader. Think we're set at WR.

But if there's one that's too good of value to pass up...might as well take him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Get them a QB that isn't a back up
Boom. Hard to judge talent when you always have such inconsistency at QB. Take Emanuel Sanders, for instance. He was a #3 in Pitt, and then he goes to Denver and people consider him a top receiver in the league now. Our receivers have played with Bradford, Clemens, Davis, and Hill now. And they have what? 2.5 years on the team for the most part? Plus Britt who's catching passes from everyone except Hekker in his first year in this offense. Very little chemistry going on out there, so it's hard to gauge how good anyone is.

RamzFanz

Damnit
One thing that people always said about Davis was he couldn't read the blitz and that Hill wouldn't have those problems. But it was plenty of times hill held on to the ball way too long. He should have identified the blitz and got rid of the ball

But he never turned it over.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
idk if anyone has any personal experience but it's a bit hard to run after the catch when you can never get an accurate throw that lands in your hands or in the numbers while in stride. the few times they have there's been great runs after the catch but most times not.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I am pleasantly surprised by BRITT and how he looked against Patrick P from Ariz. I think Britt will do enough next season with Bradford throwing to be a good #2 for 2 more years. And, Quick would be a good #2. IF we get 2 more good lineman next year, we can have a decent/good offense (top 15 in yards and top 10 in scoring). With next year's "easy" schedule, I think we can win 11 games if our defense starts game 1 where it is now. I really think the D will get better.
See "BRITT" edit