Would you give Foles, #10, and next year's 2nd for #2?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The real question is, do you believe in Mariota? I compare him to Fran Tarkenton. Character, creativity, scrambler, leader. I hate the Vikings had him. He ruined a few childhood SB dreams of mine. Weinke lacked Mariota's talent but has a superior NFL mindset. He could develop MM into a dynamic/franchise QB.

Another factor: Kroenke would sacrifice this year for his big season in 2016 in LA. The Rams could treat this year like the Cowboys did the year Aikman was drafted. I would spend the rest of the draft shoring up the OLine. Since I grew up in Long Beach but moved to Joplin in '74, I prefer St Lou over LA but will always be a Ram fan even in LA. Kroenke is all about the Benjamins,

My answer is no. I would take...the next Eric Dickerson= Gurley. Then I'm getting Tomlinson, Marpet, and Shaq Mason. Since Foles is tougher than Everett, it could work.

Hey, I have one day off a week and a big family to support. I'm allowed one smashed rant/post waiting for the draft after another another another another another another another another another another another another another looooong offseason.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't believe in Mariota enough to give up Foles in a deal. Now if Mariota fell a little and we traded a 2nd next year to move up a few spots I would be ok with that. For the Rams I would prefer to have Mariota sit for a year before letting him start.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams need a starting QB for 2015, and even if Mariotta becomes a real NFL QB, he's unlikely to be ready for the Rams' system next season.

If he falls, great. Not likely to happen, though.

If the Rams were to trade a future 2nd, I'd rather they do so to trade up from their 2nd this season to move back into the first to grab an OL, after whatever they do with their #10 this season.

So #10 BPA (if close, an OL of course). Then trade their 2nd this year and next to move up and get whichever OL they love that is remaining in the first later on. Like they apparently wanted to do with Martin last season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a huge fan of Foles but I think Tennesee can get a lot more value for the #2 pick then that

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd definitely consider it. I don't like the idea of playing Mariota year 1 though. I'd rather give up another pick and keep Foles if possible.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd definitely consider it. I don't like the idea of playing Mariota year 1 though. I'd rather give up another pick and keep Foles if possible.

If possible, I agree. But what would TN take? No QB works without an OLine

I'm still leaning Gurley over Mariota. Sorry, im a true "old school" Ram fan. Gimme Dickerson, Faulk, Jackson, Bettis, McCutcheon over Bradford, Warner (gulp), Green, Everett, Gabriel (gulp), Harris, Bartkowstki, Namath, Haden, and Ferragamo.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I feel the same way as @Boston Ram , but if the Rams believe in the QB at #2, it's not too much to pay.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes. Absolutely.

If the Rams are completely confident in Foles, than we shouldn't even draft a qb this year. We should extend him so we don't have to overpay when he hits FA next year.

I'm not even sure how Foles will do in our offense. If he plays poorly this year we're back to square one. Trying to find a qb
If he plays well. We may have to overpay to keep him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't see how we couldn't. It's a steal to be honest.

Sadly, from a strategic prospective, I don't love it though because I think we'd ruin Mariota by starting him too soon. His chances of success could really be improved if he can sit for a year. I wish they had allowed Bortles to sit a little longer in Jacksonville, I think it would have set him up better for success in the league, he took some lumps last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fans might consider that, but Fish and Snead won't because their livelihood requires them to win next season. Trading Foles would be a huge blow to a roster that is on the cusp at just about every position. This team has depth everywhere except OL and that is going to be rectified in this draft. So aside from adding a futures QB to the roster that trade would significantly lessen the Rams' ability to win this year.

Mariota is going to need some time to adjust to the NFL. He will have good games and win some with his legs but the NFL is a tough place for a rookie QB and given how much he still has to learn he's best suited to sitting a year with a clipboard.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
No but I would trade foles and and our 1st for Phillip Rivers with a contract extension

Athos

Legend
No, because I don't believe Mariota is ready enough to get our offense to generate enough ooompf to get to the playoffs. And the playoffs are a must, imo, this year.

Mariota needs a year in the system.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see how we couldn't. It's a steal to be honest.

Sadly, from a strategic prospective, I don't love it though because I think we'd ruin Mariota by starting him too soon. His chances of success could really be improved if he can sit for a year. I wish they had allowed Bortles to sit a little longer in Jacksonville, I think it would have set him up better for success in the league, he took some lumps last year.

Fans might consider that, but Fish and Snead won't because their livelihood requires them to win next season. Trading Foles would be a huge blow to a roster that is on the cusp at just about every position. This team has depth everywhere except OL and that is going to be rectified in this draft. So aside from adding a futures QB to the roster that trade would significantly lessen the Rams' ability to win this year.

Mariota is going to need some time to adjust to the NFL. He will have good games and win some with his legs but the NFL is a tough place for a rookie QB and given how much he still has to learn he's best suited to sitting a year with a clipboard.

This scenario assumes Kroenke is looking toward 2016. Aikman, Elway, and Favre had disastrous inaugural seasons. Would you pass on any of them?

V3

Hall of Fame
Not a MM fan, so no. Not even for Foles and #10.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wouldn't do it from our perspective, and the Titans certainly wouldn't do it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd take Hundley before MM...any day....better tools...You can't put stick figures behind centers...esp. poor blocking ones...