With pick 205 in the draft the Rams select Trevon Young DE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trevon-young?id=32462018-0002-5602-01b5-1dfd1232d4f7

Young has fought through multiple injuries during his college career. He suffered a dislocated and fractured hip in the team's 2015 bowl game, missing the 2016 season. Young returned for the 2017 season opener, however, starting 12 of 13 games played. He finished the year with 62 tackles, 12 for loss, 4.5 sacks, and five pass breakups. Young first held the starting role in 2015, earning honorable mention All-ACC honors (eight starts in 12 games played, 32 tackles, 10 for loss, 8.5 sacks, interception, two forced fumbles). He played 11 games as a reserve in 2014 after transferring from Iowa Western Community College, where he was a second-team All-American in his lone season there (22 tackles for loss, 13.5 sacks). The Des Moines native was a star middle linebacker and four-year starter for the basketball team in high school.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 6-7
NFL Comparison
Damontre Moore
Overview
Long-limbed and angular with physical traits but a lack of power at the point of attack, Young is still in the process of recovery after a devastating hip injury suffered in his bowl game in 2015. Young's tape near the end of the year was substantially better than early on and there is a chance he could round back into his old form, but Combine medicals will be essential in giving him that chance. A move from 4-3 end to a role as stand-up outside linebacker could benefit him.
Strengths
  • Resilient with outstanding work ethic and mental toughness
  • Uses long legs on lateral steps to work himself across a block
  • Athletic ability to physically recover and make plays after being knocked off-balance
  • Long strides help him cover a lot of territory in first three steps as rusher
  • Terrific arm length
  • Has tools to become a capable edge-setter as 3-4 outside backer
  • Able to stab and convert speed-to-power in driving tackles backward into pocket
  • Showed flashes of his old self in Florida State game that carried on through the end of the season
  • Began to string rush moves together towards end of the season
  • Had nine tackles, three for loss and a sack in his bowl game against Mississippi State
Weaknesses
  • Major hip injury and the subsequent recovery will be heavily scrutinized at Combine medicals
  • Appeared limited in his movements
  • Didn't have quick hip flip he featured before
  • Lacks functional mass and power in lower body to withstand drive blocking
  • Frequently bounced around at point of attack
  • A step slow in snap reaction time
  • Hand strength poor
  • Punch slides right up and off the target
  • Doesn't get enough out of his length
  • Spin counter is bulky right now
Sources Tell Us

"He did get better later on. He's still not who he was and I don't know if he can get there. Those medicals are going to be everything to him. If they don't look good then it won't matter if you thought he got better at the end of the year because he will be a reject." -- NFC area scout

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think this guy really might do it at a high level.

Of course, everyone misses, but doggone, these guys have such high ceilings.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The injury history concerns me a great deal

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

It was a hip injury ; not common. He was stiff at the beginning of the season ('17) but near the end of the season he was playing much quicker. He should be 100% when OTA's start.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this guy really might do it at a high level.

Of course, everyone misses, but doggone, these guys have such high ceilings.

I don't see a high-end player. I just didn't see the pass rushing traits he used to have, even in the bowl game this year. That all said, if he gets stronger, he'll have a chance to play as more of a do-it-all SOLB type. That sort of player does have value in a 3-4.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a hip injury ; not common. He was stiff at the beginning of the season ('17) but near the end of the season he was playing much quicker. He should be 100% when OTA's start.

There are doubts about whether he'll make it all the way back. That's why he fell to where he did.

It is a reasonable gamble, in a draft with 11 picks, to take a higher upside guy late. But if I were going to bet - well, I won't bad mouth a Ram, but I would probably save my money to bet elsewhere. But hopefully the Rams got a bargain.

dang

Legend
Does anyone have any theories why Trevon Young was selected ahead of Jeff Holland?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I don't see a high-end player. I just didn't see the pass rushing traits he used to have, even in the bowl game this year. That all said, if he gets stronger, he'll have a chance to play as more of a do-it-all SOLB type. That sort of player does have value in a 3-4.
As long as he flashes, i can see him sticking on the PS for a yr... see if we can't get him back to his natural form

Ram65

Legend
He does have some length that Rams don't have off the edge. Worked hard to comeback from hip injury. He gets a shot with the rest. Could surprise early or make the PS

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 4"
258 lbs
33 3/4”
HANDS
10”

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Does anyone have any theories why Trevon Young was selected ahead of Jeff Holland?

Holland is seen as a 3-4 OLB, but at Auburn he never dropped into coverage and his workouts were bad in that regard.

He's got a lot of work to do to stick to a roster. He can rush the passer, but he didn't have the burst of a Bruce Irvin to be a dedicated pass rusher and that's it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who knows, there were dozens of guys at his position taken ahead of Holland. Thirty two teams passed up on him and had a reason. We'll see how the decision looks in a few years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like the measurables.....wonder what his 40 time is?.....better to get guys like this....that the other end of the spectrum....I thought he played well in the bowl game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah that kind of injury is some serious business. I see him as a longshot, which I think is fair to say for any later round guy taken by a playoff team.

We're definitely not gonna hit on all these late round dudes, but of course I wish him the best and hope he sticks.